07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Bixer
Bolamite

: Jul 2007
: London
: 50
Bixer  (21)
Help! (abe's oddysee)

I've come very close to the end of this game (finally)

However I've reached a spot of bother

in Zulag 4, on the slog kennels part (ya know, where those 4 slogs are sleeping and you gotta run for your life to get past them)

Well basically before getting there, instead of killing the slig with a grenade on the screen before, I simply caught his attention, then when he came to the other screen jumped over his head from the platform above and ran into the slog kennels

However now when I return here that slig is there and he shoots me and I can't for the life of me think what to do

Foolishly when save I delete the old file first, then save the new one, so I can't backtrack a bit and start again from a previous position

it's either sort this out or start the game all over again

any ideas? I appreciate any help
07-19-2007, 04:08 PM
ElumFan
Bolamite

: Nobody's Buisness But Mine
: 52
ElumFan  (10)
Would This Help?

Would this level select cheat work? I tested it a while back and it worked on my game.

"On the main menu hold R1 and press Down, Right, Left, Right, Square, Circle, Square, Triangle, Circle, Square, Right, Left"

Source:Gamefaqs
07-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

: Jun 2007
: MilkyWay
: 1,535
Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)

I cant remeber what room that is, post a screen shot if its the pc version?
07-20-2007, 01:52 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

To ElumFan: The level select cheat would work, it's just I've rescued over 60 mudokons on this game and I was hoping to go for the good ending - if you use the level cheat you start with 0 escapees

To Paul: I have the Playstation version so I can't really post a screen shot

Hmm how can I explain it better....well the slog kennels are where you run past 4 screens and each has a slog which is asleep, you've gotta blow them up with grenades and then possess the slig which is on the platform above you and with him shoot the array of slogs which come out at you on the left and then once that's done pull the lever

hopefully that refreshed your memory a bit....
07-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: Jan 2006
: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)

Does the Slig, by any chance, walk back into a different screen? Or is he always in the same spot?

07-20-2007, 07:47 AM
ElumFan
Bolamite

: Nobody's Buisness But Mine
: 52
ElumFan  (10)

:
To ElumFan: The level select cheat would work, it's just I've rescued over 60 mudokons on this game and I was hoping to go for the good ending - if you use the level cheat you start with 0 escapees
Oh yeah,sorry about that! I'd agree with you on getting the good ending. That game is a pain in the arse at times. Good luck figuring it all out, I suck at that game and never got to that point.
07-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

:
Does the Slig, by any chance, walk back into a different screen? Or is he always in the same spot?
No the slig remains in the same spot absolutely all the time and that spot it right next to the door, facing it

I've read in walkthroughs that I should've killed this slig first - but I mean there's gotta be a way around it right? surely they wouldn't make it so if you don't kill that slig it is physically impossible to progress any further
07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

Hmm. I guess that's a tricky one. Do you have one saved file on this game, or do you have several? If you answered number two, I would have to say to go to load onto a saved file not far from where you are. That is all I can do.

07-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Do you have a grenade handy? Can you go back through the door, drop the grenade quickly, then dive back through the door before you get shot? If so, does it not kill the guard?

07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

I guess that would be possible... Assuming the game allows the Slig to die after you leave the area. I know it's possible to shoot grenades into a seperate screen, but never if they are in seperate areas.

07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

: Jun 2007
: MilkyWay
: 1,535
Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)

:

To Paul: I have the Playstation version so I can't really post a screen shot

Hmm how can I explain it better....well the slog kennels are where you run past 4 screens and each has a slog which is asleep, you've gotta blow them up with grenades and then possess the slig which is on the platform above you and with him shoot the array of slogs which come out at you on the left and then once that's done pull the lever

hopefully that refreshed your memory a bit....
hmm not sure, pause the game and post the screen code at the bottom it will be somthing like R1C0P102
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

It’s R2P04C06. It’s through the lower door in Zulag 4.

Incidentally, I tried playing to see if the technique I described is possible, but I couldn’t distract the Slig from its post in the first place.

07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

yeah I've tried the grenade thing but if I quickly throw it, go through the door, then come back again, the slig hasn't died

There's gotta be SOMETHING I can do

07-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

Does the Slig get distracted by any chance when the grenade lands? And how soon does he shoot you?

Like I said before, is that the only save file you have?

07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

I can't picture the screen in my head at the moment so I'm not 100% sure this will work. Try throwing the grenade from the previous screen so that it lands on the other side of the slig. Wait until half a second before it explodes and step to the next screen. If you've judged the moment right, the grenade should blow up before the slig can react to you and if you've positioned it right, it will blow up the slig and not you.

07-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

:
Does the Slig get distracted by any chance when the grenade lands? And how soon does he shoot you?

Like I said before, is that the only save file you have?
Nah the Slig doesn't seem to get distracted at all and if I just stand there, he doesn't shoot me until a few seconds later, but if I attempt to move towards him he shoots me immediately

and I mentioned in my original post that it is the only save file I have - I really wish I'd not deleted older files just to be safe

:
I can't picture the screen in my head at the moment so I'm not 100% sure this will work. Try throwing the grenade from the previous screen so that it lands on the other side of the slig. Wait until half a second before it explodes and step to the next screen. If you've judged the moment right, the grenade should blow up before the slig can react to you and if you've positioned it right, it will blow up the slig and not you.
No it's not a case of the slig being on another screen, it's a case of the slig being through a door, so I can't throw a grenade through the door.

07-21-2007, 04:27 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

Try this. When you throw the grenade, go back a screen, but immediately turn around and go back to the screen with the slig. The slig should be there, but the grenade as well. Since you were'nt in the screen when the timer counted down, you should enter the screen, and then the grenade should go BOOM.

They key is to leave the room before the Slig managed to shoot you, but return there right before the countdown of the grenade ends.
- And you're still a dick.

07-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

:
Try this. When you throw the grenade, go back a screen, but immediately turn around and go back to the screen with the slig. The slig should be there, but the grenade as well. Since you were'nt in the screen when the timer counted down, you should enter the screen, and then the grenade should go BOOM.

They key is to leave the room before the Slig managed to shoot you, but return there right before the countdown of the grenade ends.
Well it's a case of going through a door not from screen to screen.

I tried doing that though, by throwing the grenade, going through the door, then going back, but once I return the grenade hasn't exploded it's just simply disappeared

07-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

When you described to me that this Slig just stands there if you don't move forward, do you mean he simply stands there until you step forward? Does he shoot you when you in a throwing position? Or does he shoot you simply because you changed your stand position?

07-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

:
When you described to me that this Slig just stands there if you don't move forward, do you mean he simply stands there until you step forward? Does he shoot you when you in a throwing position? Or does he shoot you simply because you changed your stand position?
basically he'll be literally one step in front of me, facing me. If I attempt to move forward or if I attempt to throw in his direction he'll shoot me immediately. If I turn around and walk that way (one step and I'm facing a wall) or If I turn around and throw away from him he gives me a few seconds before shooting me.

07-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

Have you ever tried to throwing the grenade at the wall, and letting it bounce toward you and the Slig? If he doesn't kill you then, you can wait for the exact moment to get back into the door when the grenade explodes.

07-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

:
Have you ever tried to throwing the grenade at the wall, and letting it bounce toward you and the Slig? If he doesn't kill you then, you can wait for the exact moment to get back into the door when the grenade explodes.
Tried just now, he shoots me before the bomb has a chance to explode

Edit: Is it possible that this is a small glitch in the game which is physically impossible to progress past?

If so, as a last resort I think I'd be willing to use a cheat or something if anyone knew any (invincibility for example), just to get past that point, then turn it off afterwards.

07-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

I believe that's a cheat to get to the next level, not to move further into the game.

07-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Bixer, I don’t think this is a glitch. I think this is a situation the level designers didn’t see as possible. As I’ve said, I can’t get to the same situation as you to try potential solutions, because I can’t distract the Slig from the screen in the first place to run past it.

I don’t yet want to tell you to give up but, well, I don’t think there’s any hope for you.

07-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

I'm with Max on this one. This seems rather impressive that you are even able to do this, being that this doesn't seem very possible. How did you even get the Slig to move? I know each Slig is programmed differently to move in a different fashion and shoot in a different fashion. I never knew this one is meant to even move...

Oh well, I'm going to assume you have tried running toward him. Besides that, I'm stumped.

07-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

:
I'm with Max on this one. This seems rather impressive that you are even able to do this, being that this doesn't seem very possible. How did you even get the Slig to move? I know each Slig is programmed differently to move in a different fashion and shoot in a different fashion. I never knew this one is meant to even move...

Oh well, I'm going to assume you have tried running toward him. Besides that, I'm stumped.

Yeah to be honest to get to this situation wasn't very hard at all, I mean I did it first try.

Basically on the screen BEFORE the slig, just go to the next screen and get his attention enough for him to follow you, then quickly run back and jump on the platform above. Once he's came to the next screen run and jump over his head, continue running and then quickly go through the door.

That's how I got there

07-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

Slaveless  (36)

Now this doesn't help us. By the way, have you tried running towards the other screen (the one before the Slig), instead of killing the Slig?

07-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Bixer
Bolamite

Bixer  (21)

Yeah that was the first thing I tried, as I mentioned before, I get shot the moment I try and move towards him

07-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Adder
Grubb Fisherman

: Oct 2002
: The nearest DDR machine
: 927
Adder  (11)

...if the slig doesn't react to you beginning to throw a grenade (i.e. holding the throw button), you might be able to hold the grenade very close to when it explodes (say... 4 of the 5 chimes) then go back through the door? If I remember the timing of screen-wipes, you might JUST have enough time to see the slig blow up before warping to the other area.

If you don't have the time to throw the grenade... well, I hate to say it, but you might need to restart. There was a bullet-proof cheat for AE on PS1... might be on AO.
07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
corpuschristie
Chippunk

: Northampton UK
: 25
corpuschristie  (10)
Sad

Hi Bixer,i may have bad news for you.i managed quite easily to get to where you are stuck,and the nearest i came to getting past the slig without getting shot was by trying to crouch and roll as soon as i got through the door,however it seems that the game engine is just too slow to allow you to react fast enough.having gone through all the cheat systems i have there appears to be no cheats available for invincibility on AO,only AE.The level select cheat is only accessable from the start menu(the one with abe in the middle),and the advance to next path cheat from AE will not work on AO.there is one possibility though,i have a code that speeds up the in game action,and this may help,but you need a disc or cartridge cheat system to use it .in the meantime i will keep trying to find a way past the slig (i must admit i have never died so much in the game before)

Last edited by corpuschristie; 07-24-2007 at 10:03 AM..