Strnadik
Stingbee

: Apr 2014
: Czech Republic
: 87
Strnadik  (100)Strnadik  (100)
Oddworld New 'n' Tasty modability

Hello, Oddworld fellows!

2-3 years ago, I have started a discussion here at OWF about the possible modability of NnT when it comes out. I exchanged a few e-mails with Matt Glanville back then, but the team was very busy with the game as it is, and they had no chance to consider any way to let the community modify the game. (But don't worry, they are aware of the modding community).

I cannot possibly describe how much I love Oddworld games, I really can't. When I was about 5-7 years old, I used to dream of another installment, I drew pictures about how a sequel could look, drew different versions of Sligs, and thought up silly typical names for the sequel, something like "Return to Rupture Farms". I wanted to make my own content, but I simply couldn't. Meanwhile I was doing whatever I wanted in Hammer Editor for HL1/CS (although, still limited by my age), and I wished I could do that to AO/AE. When I got my hands on the Paul's Editor, I was really really excited, and I thank Paul so so much for the possibility he has given me/us. However, I was too young to make any real difference, and now when NnT rised up in 2015, I felt a glimpse of hope - AO is alive 'n kickin again! Maybe I could make some difference now, maybe I could.. do something about it!

All I could do, in the end, was crawling through Wwise soundbanks, and fixing the new Scrab howl, and replacing the Slig and Abe sounds with the old ones for fun. (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=21915)

The game was built in Unity, which is, by itself, very locked up when it comes to modifying assets. They compile themselves into partially accessible files, but very tedious nonetheless. We have a whole topic for various ways to partially tweak the Unity assets, or alter ingame features, but it's just a surface-level, some hex tweaking and messing around.

I haven't given up yet though!
I texted Matt again after 2.5 years - still waiting for answer, I know he's very busy now. But I would like to try to reach OWI/JAW (possibly Fat Kraken later, about Soulstorm modability), and let them know that it's alive in here and that we would love to create our content, just as we loved doing it for AO/AE/... I think I am experienced in Unity, and if I was given the editor with the project so I can compile it... THAT would make a huge difference. That's why I want to rise the awareness of our passion for OW, and possibly, somehow, anyhow, get a way to work with the original thing compilable in Unity.

I... was never good at doing a speech, let alone possibly influential one, but I hope we could gather here and let the world know that the modding community/our community itself is NOT dead at all. Maybe this will help. I really want to try to do something about this because I missed the first time I could have done something (because I couldn't, too young), and now I am just afraid that if I don't try to do anything now, I might miss the opportunity all together and not have a chance ever again.

What do you think? Would you like to be able to mod NnT? What would you like to edit/play with?

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your opinions.

10-05-2017, 02:53 AM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: Oddworld
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

Hi there.

We got your Twitter DM, too.

There's no way we can give you Unity Editor source assets, even for New 'n' Tasty, although I admire your enthusiasm there.

I'll reiterate what Matt said originally though: we're aware of the modding community.
10-06-2017, 03:58 AM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

: Aug 2016
: corowa
: 101
SlashClaw  (108)SlashClaw  (108)

i would like a cool sandbox thing for creating my own puzzles
10-06-2017, 05:11 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Come on Alex, hop to it, don't keep SlashClaw waiting!

10-11-2017, 11:03 AM
leocrow
Fuzzle

: Aug 2005
: Ioannina, Greece
: 141
leocrow  (36)

I would love to see something like that but I assume it wouldn't be possible. Valve owns the source engine so they can give modding tools to their fans. However the oddworld team is licencing the use of the unity engine which means that they don't own it. They only own the assets they are making. If they gave out such a tool they could get sued for piracy possibly. I could be completely wrong but this is my guess, take it with a grain of salt

10-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
I would love to see something like that but I assume it wouldn't be possible. Valve owns the source engine so they can give modding tools to their fans. However the oddworld team is licencing the use of the unity engine which means that they don't own it. They only own the assets they are making. If they gave out such a tool they could get sued for piracy possibly. I could be completely wrong but this is my guess, take it with a grain of salt
Making a modding tool doesn't give players the full power of the Unity engine. It would give them the ability to make their own assets, within the scope of the game's original gameplay. To put it another way; a game engine is more than just the graphics engine - it's the sound, the AI, the way that the game logic is loaded and processed, and so on.