05-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Abe 01
Thudslug

: Oct 2005
: .
: 177
Abe 01  (20)
Soulmates

Does anyone believe that theirs somone out there for them? or you just meet somone randomly and move on? Im not really sure, what if your soulmate just passes you walking down the street and you'll never see them again.And once youve met your soulmate, how are you sure its the one?
05-13-2006, 08:05 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

Why yes I do. And you just... know when you find him/her. It's pretty easy to figure it out over a little time.

^_^

05-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Nah, I think that's a fairly fatalistic viewpoint.

I merely believe that there are some people on this world who are better suited to be with me than others. And thus my purpose is to find one of those people. But there is no one special individual to whom I am particularly well matched.

Think about it; if there was only one person for me, that would be one person in 6 billion on this planet. What's the chances of me meeting my soulmate if he's a llama herder in a small village in Peru, or a tribal chief in deepest darkest Congo?

05-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

I find the concept of 'soulmates' to be stupid.
Nate summed it up pretty well.
And Ambi, you can't 'know' you've found your 'soulmate' if you haven't shopped around...
05-14-2006, 03:46 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

Well... There will always be one person suited better for you than another... And well, i don't believe in a soulmate which is meant just for you.. But if you by some weird chance find the person suited best for you... well lucky you i guess

Anyways, I just have a few qualities i look for in a male, if he has em, good for him, if he doesnt, then screw him
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

05-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

I don't believe in soulmates, but I do believe there are people you can find who are perfect or near enough perfect for you. I found one of those people but it ended rather painfully and unexpectedly for reasons out of my control.

05-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Abe 01
Thudslug

: Oct 2005
: .
: 177
Abe 01  (20)

aww poor you, theres always more fish in the sea
05-14-2006, 08:54 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
I find the concept of 'soulmates' to be stupid.
Nate summed it up pretty well.
And Ambi, you can't 'know' you've found your 'soulmate' if you haven't shopped around...
Sure you can. When you find someone who you see yourself with forever and feel no need to "shop around" anymore, then you're set. If you're not meant to be together, then the need to look around for another will arise.

Besides, if you go by Nate's logic, you'd have to "shop around" about 6 billion people before you absolutely know. And if there is someone you're meant to be with, they probably wouldn't be a sheep herder far away as that would pretty much go against everything lining up just right.

On a side note, I don't actually believe there's a soul mate for every individual on earth. I'm one of those crazies who believe in partial fate. Certain events are supposed to happen in some people's lives and not in others' lives. Most things are random, but some things are fate. The existence of someone you're meant to be with may or may not be a part of your fate.

Don't choo judge me!

Last edited by AquaticAmbi; 05-14-2006 at 09:20 AM..
05-14-2006, 09:20 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

:
When you find someone who you see yourself with forever and feel no need to "shop around" anymore, then you're set.
I am inclined to agree. If you're perfectly content with the person you have, then there is absolutely no reason to look around for anyone else. That's what you would call a "soulmate," or whatever.

I've always thought that "soulmate" was kind of a cheesy word, though.

However, I'm not sure if I can believe in love at first sight. I think it's more probable that there is only infatuation at first sight, but love would have to grow out of that over time. It almost speaks less about love if it were so easily obtained, without any bonding whatsoever.
05-14-2006, 09:25 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
However, I'm not sure if I can believe in love at first sight. I think it's more probable that there is only infatuation at first sight, but love would have to grow out of that over time. It almost speaks less about love if it were so easily obtained, without any bonding whatsoever.
And I must agree with that. There was a definite attraction/interest/maybe infactuation at first sight, but I remember it was about six months into our relationship when I finally realized that I had definitely found someone I could see myself loving forever. But that sort of "knowing" still had some developing to do in further months.

05-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

Aww, isn't that nice .

Well, anyways, I'm with Rich on this, I believe there are multiple so called "soulmates".
- And you're still a dick.

05-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Mutual Friend
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2006
: England
: 1,008
Mutual Friend  (41)

Soul-mates suck. They spend a few months with you then you wake up one morning, wallet gone and your bank accounts empty. That is so irritating.
05-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Ninjaxe
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2006
: Hong Kong
: 396
Ninjaxe  (10)

You could put across looking for soulmate is like looking for your identicial twin. Not as in appearance but the things like.

We both like TV, crisps, sweets and TV. Things you can share that you both enjoy. Personally I think soul mates is very physiological. Depending on the person's personality.
05-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

: Mar 2006
: pootown
: 248
Slig_Cake  (10)

wow.

i think my dick just fell off.

(Growing a mullet in support of the Socceroos)

05-15-2006, 03:14 AM
Ninjaxe
Spark Stunk

: Hong Kong
: 396
Ninjaxe  (10)

:
wow.

i think my dick just fell off.
I dont get you...What do you mean?
05-15-2006, 03:16 AM
oddveteran93
Rabid Fuzzle

: Melbourne
: 516
oddveteran93  (23)

I think it's an insult of some sort. Or he's just saying that what you're saying is corny.

05-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Nath
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2002
: Wales
: 530
Nath  (89)

All you kids are too young to know what true love is.

enough said

05-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I think love is rather over-rated. There are times when I think I could fall in love with someone, but once you sleep with them it sucks the fun out of everything, not to mention making things extremely awkward.

Meh, perhaps I'm still hung up on my FTL (First True Love to those not in the know ) to let anything new come in.

Though I still maintain that having a best best best best friend is better than any partner. Perhaps thats just me though.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-15-2006, 08:09 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
All you kids are too young to know what true love is.

enough said
Damn. Apparently I've been living a lie for the past three years.

Now that I've got my life back in order, I can thank you for the overt wisdom, old timer.
05-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Nath
Rabid Fuzzle

Nath  (89)

i'm glad to hear it, kiddo

05-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Mutual Friend
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2006
: England
: 1,008
Mutual Friend  (41)

:
i'm glad to hear it, kiddo
Don't worry about 'im, he's Welsh.
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Nath
Rabid Fuzzle

Nath  (89)

and proud of it, you loved up kiddies

05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

: Jan 2005
: Lost in Space
: 818
Gretin  (167)Gretin  (167)

Ah, I have a lot of opinions on this subject. But I don't have time to go through them all and I doubt anyone would want to read them all either!
But I think I'd have to agree with Searex and AquaticAmbi on this mostly...

I don't actually agree with "shopping around" at all. I mean, in my opinion, it's better to just concern myself with making friends, both male and female, and getting to know them well, and then if one of them should turn out to be a match, that'swhen I would make a move in that direction. The advantages of this are a strong friendship base (and they say the best relationships start out as friendships), I actually know the person pretty well before I even start a relationship, and I can keep break-ups to a minimum, to name just a few. Of course, even then it could still not work out, so I'm not counting on never having to break up with anyone, but I can certainly keep the number down.
And another thing with searching out a special someone is, if you're that concerned with finding someone, you might rush it. Meaning you could a) choose someone who isn't really suitable, or b) rush the relationship itself. And I don't believe love is something that can be rushed.

:
I think love is rather over-rated. There are times when I think I could fall in love with someone, but once you sleep with them it sucks the fun out of everything, not to mention making things extremely awkward.
And I think sex is over-rated, so meh to you! You're bound to disagree, but I think there's generally a misunderstanding of what love really is. It is definately not just an emotion, and I have an example to "prove" that.
Emotions are pretty crazy and wild and unpredictable; you can be super happy one minute and down in the dumps the next. And they're never consistent; even someone who suffers from depression isn't sad every moment of every day.
But then we say about "loving someone forever." Well, if love is just an emotion, how the heck can you do it forever? Because emotions sure don't last forever...
And I think this is why so many couples who are supposedly "in love" eventually break up - once the emotions died down, that was the end.
I don't think real love is something that can be explained just like that, but it's not simply an emotion. If anything, it's a choice - the decision to do what's best for the other person, no matter how you feel, no matter what they may have done to hurt you etc. In short, the desire to do what's best for the other person all the time.

Anyway... I think that's enough ranting from me for today.

05-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

: Mar 2006
: pootown
: 248
Slig_Cake  (10)

alrite im just going to say this.

People say a guy thinks with their heads, hearts or dicks. I say they are wrong. A guy only thinks about his tackle. Some think they're in love but sub-consiously they've built a huge fantasy over rooting that girl. That's why they want her so badly. SOLUTION: Root another girl and you'll start to heal the pain. Trouble is some guys get so wrapped up in one girl they tell themselves they don't want anyone else. Every guy i've known has been pretty sweet about breaking up with their missus, but this is AFTER they've done them. If they never got in there they'll be the most shatterd bastards out.

As for girls, deep down every one of them just wants it. That's initially all they want from guys, but after you root them (sober), they'll want more then that. They'll start to like you so much it'll be really boring.

That's what it's all about. There are no such thing as soulmates. Can you tell me had your happily married parents never met, they would not have found someone else they like just as much?

(Growing a mullet in support of the Socceroos)

05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Some think they're in love but sub-consiously they've built a huge fantasy over rooting that girl. That's why they want her so badly. SOLUTION: Root another girl and you'll start to heal the pain.
Wow... just wow.
05-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

: Jan 2005
: Lost in Space
: 818
Gretin  (167)Gretin  (167)

I'll say... Geez...
You know, just my two cents, if that was all relationships were about, I personally wouldn't be interested. If all they were about is getting physical pleasure then... no thanks.

05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

I don't believe in 'soulmates', but I sure as hell don't believe what Slig_Cake is talking about.

:
Besides, if you go by Nate's logic, you'd have to "shop around" about 6 billion people before you absolutely know. And if there is someone you're meant to be with, they probably wouldn't be a sheep herder far away as that would pretty much go against everything lining up just right.
You wouldn't have to shop around, because the summary of his logic is that there are no soulmates.

Oh, and the logic of not needing to 'shop around' because you know you've found 'the one' is flawed. Say the world was in black and white, and that's all anyone ever saw. People would find nothing wrong with only seeing that, whereas we know that they're missing out on so much, but they don't even think about it because they've never seen colour. So you say everything is fine with your relationship, but you don't know what you could be missing, if you understand me.

By the way, I'm not trying to say anything bad about your relationship with SeaRex, I just like arguing.
05-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

To be honest, I think a lot of what Slig_cake has said is rather true. Or perhaps I live in the wrong parts of Sydney.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-18-2006, 06:26 AM
The Marching Mudokon
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2004
: Perth, Australia
: 481
The Marching Mudokon  (10)

What if you find your "soul mate" but they don't feel the same way as you? Does that mean they're not really your soulmate? But what if you feel that strongly towards them? You are in total love. What then? That's how stalkings occur, isn't it?

05-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Its not right unless they like you back, if they love you back you'll love that person a lot more than you'll love someone who doesn't love you in return.