05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Sapphire
Stunk

: Apr 2005
: Bellingham, WA
: 43
Sapphire  (10)
Sapphire's Newest Art

I'm not going to update this thread with my non-oddworld art up to date, because I create waaay to much stuff to cram in here, so I'll just go ahead and start from scratch.

This latest one I made yesterday for conceptart.org's "Creature of the Week" contest, the topic of which was "Cloud Dweller".

The “Jiao”, as it has been called during sightings in East Asia, has remained an unexplained phenomenon for countless years. Sightings have been reported worldwide of this creature, which has mistakenly been identified as a strange object called “ball lightning”:

"Not many people get to see ball lightning, but those who do never forget it. Imagine a glowing orb suddenly materializing in front of you, possibly sizzling or exuding a bluish mist and an acrid smell. The globe may be larger than a beach ball and dart through the air, perhaps hovering occasionally as if considering its next move. The ball may also roll or bounce along the ground, climb utility poles, and skitter along power lines. As it travels, the fiery sphere may destroy electrical equipment, ignite fires, and even singe animals or people." http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020209/bob8.asp

The Jiao’s anatomy is constructed of organic materials transformed by the energy of lightning into airborne, polymer filaments. This fusion of organic material and excited electrons then coils up (much in the same way that DNA condenses prior to cell division), packing a large amount of expendable energy in a relatively small space. A thin membrane forms the skin of the creature, which coagulates around the base material during the first moments of conception. This organic material has insulating properties, which allow the Jiao to collect, store and build up a vast amount of energy used for motion and procreation during its short lifespan. During the course of a storm or any other heightened electrical activity in the atmosphere, the Jiao grows and lengthens through the sky, collecting the released energy given off by lightning bolts. It uses this to propel itself from one collection of clouds to the next, and can even be seen making contact with the ground at times, as pent-up energy is released from its body.

A Jiao normally reproduces asexually, but if by a rare occurrence there is another individual in a neighboring cloud, the collision is usually followed with an enormous clap of thunder as genetic material is violently exchanged. Both individuals “die” during this moment, but from the residual energy and material left over, a new Jiao is formed in the womb of the clouds and the cycle begins again. The duration of an average individual’s life is usually no longer than 20 minutes.

____

More art to come soon!

Last edited by Sapphire; 05-11-2005 at 09:32 AM..
05-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Fuzzleman54321
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2005
: Here and there.....Everywhere!
: 545
Fuzzleman54321  (10)

Brillent! You are the master at drawing! *gives trophy*

I'm back because there is news! wooh movie!

05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

: Nov 2004
: United States
: 1,275
odd chick  (10)

My....you DREW that?!! Wow...I don't know what to say.....it's beautiful. You're a really great artist and I hope to see some more work from you soon. *Is still shocked from the beauty that it possesses*

05-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

Damn. That's quite friggin' good. The concept is interesting too. How can it be a living being? That's really interesting.

05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Sapphire
Stunk

: Apr 2005
: Bellingham, WA
: 43
Sapphire  (10)

Thank you so much for your responses! Hopefully I'll get my lazy butt movin' on more art soon. I might get involved with an Oddworld webcomic soon, as well.

Kimon: It's a living being formed from organic material, but supercharged from the energy received from lightning bolts, with a thin, insulating organic membrane that holds in a huge amount of charge. Their DNA is exchanged when they collide, and otherwise it reproduces asexually, like a sea anemone, where a bud forms and breaks off from the main organism. Hooray for pseudo-science!

Last edited by Sapphire; 05-15-2005 at 08:21 PM..
05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: May 2003
: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)

Nice art! You are awesome man!

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

05-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

It's a very interesting concept just... please... smaller? *can't read description very easily because of scrollage*