02-22-2002, 06:38 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2001
: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)
Question would you kill a human clone?

my religeon class was having a discussion and it sorta led up to cloning.

What if clones were living amoung us and have rebelled. A bit like Blade Runner. What i wanna know is would you kill a clone if you had the chance.

Personally i couldn't get myself to do so. I would feel sorry for them knowing that they know that they have no soul.

02-22-2002, 07:05 AM
Surfacing
Clakker Relic Miner

: Nov 2001
: Oz
: 887
Surfacing  (10)

Killing... Intresting topic i guess i would kill just a normal non clone person depending on the circumstances. I would kill for revenge or money.
02-22-2002, 07:59 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

you dont know if they are bad or not you just have ta kill em....but wont you sympathise?

02-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Whistling kettle
Boombat

: Jan 2002
: The Netherlands
: 239
Whistling kettle  (10)

I don't know, surfacing said it before, it would depend on the circumstances...

Killing someone... I must have a very good reason for that.
A clone... Because clone's look the same as humans...
I think I'll have the same trouble to kill a human as a clone.

.....................Yellow flub submarine!!!!!!.......
.............................I'll do it my way............

02-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Steve
Super Stingbee

: 456
Steve  (32)

I have no right to kill anything exept in self defence.
02-22-2002, 10:22 AM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

Hmm, how could they not have a soul? You need a soul to live and without one, we would look plastic, not real. Do you mean spirit Oddbodd?

02-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

It depens how they are...
if they kill "normal" humans then kill them
if they are pacifist then not

02-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

THe clones, or "replicants" portrayed in BLane Runner are a product of Science Fiction, Nals. The real Clones are exactly like another human being, the only difference is that they didn't come from an fecunded embrio produced by the fusion between a spermatozoid and an ovum. The nucleus of the ovum (haploid) is replaced for a nucleus of a grown cell (dipliod), from wehere the embrio develops just like a normal foetus.

Clones ARE humans, with an individuality, a mind, and ultimately, a SOUL (or spirit, if you like). The only relationship between a clone and the person who donated the grown cell is their genetic code. They are like twins, and we can surely say that twins have each other their soul.
02-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

I would kill a clone in the same cicumstances that I would kill any other human.

I belive that if a non-cloned human has a soul then so does a cloned human, if a non-cloned human has a spirit then so does a cloned human, if a non-cloned human has the human rights defined by some document (which Bush clearly doesn't agree to) then so does a cloned human.

:
Originally posted by ODDBODD
What if clones were living amoung us and have rebelled. A bit like Blade Runner. What i wanna know is would you kill a clone if you had the chance.
Aren't the replicans in Blade Runner robots? Hmm... I don't remember it well...

Why would clones rebel? Human rights activists wouldn't let humans be cloned for the soul purpose of working in a slave labour thing on another planet/moon. That's what happened in BR, I think. And that's why the replicans 'rebelled'.

Edit: By asking this question some people may think that you belive that clones are less human in some way.

Last edited by Gluk Schmuck; 02-22-2002 at 07:34 AM..
02-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I agree with what the others have said. The person may be cloned, but the only thing they share with another person is their DNA. Identical twins are clones, yet we don't grant a soul to only one of them.

02-22-2002, 09:48 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Not meaning to be provokative, but this is a bit of a stupid question. "Hey, would you murder someone because they have the same DNA as someone else?"

I agree with all of the sensible people here who can distinguish Fiction from Reality...

Besides, in Bladerunner, the Replicants were more Androids than Clones, anyway, weren't they? Biological Androids, but still Androids...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

well unless we did something to the clones or provoked or harmed them, there would be no reason for rebelion. unless they were depressed at the fact that they were created by science, but then ya know there really wouldnt be reason. so why would we kill someone that we only created and made evil? thats liek frankenstein, create osmething, let it get mad by not thinking it has a soul or anything, then really it just is dumb. i must admit, i dide with pinky on this one.
02-23-2002, 12:31 AM
mitsur
Corporate Espionage

: May 2001
: ಠ_ಠ
: 2,060
mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)

Have you seen that movie with Arnold (I can't spell his last name)
about people cloning people for bad reasons?(I think it was six days)I would kill a clone only for that.

Wrex.

02-23-2002, 07:51 AM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

: Turku, Finland
: 492
Fazerina  (22)

:
Originally posted by mitsur
Have you seen that movie with Arnold (I can't spell his last name)
about people cloning people for bad reasons?(I think it was six days)I would kill a clone only for that.
I think it's Schwarzennegger..oh.. I dunno.. People shouldn't have so difficult names.

Yeah, I 've seen the movie Six Days. It was just so stupid. It could never happen that the clone could remember and feel what the original person had felt. And if you clone some one, of course it is a baby first and then grows up.. It doesn't born as an adult. Well, in yankee films everything's possible. And I think they didn't even think that it could happen in real life. It was just pure fiction. But the movie was stupid.

What was the most stupid thing in the movie, is that the bad guys weren't afraid to die because they would keep on living as clones. But that is just stupid. Although the clone keeps on living and remembers your thoughts and stuff (which is absurd), you're still DYING! You're life ends. You're not living and feeling any more, it's the clone.

Well, enough of the movie.. I am against cloning. It's just sick that people are playing gods with their knowlidge and messing up with the DNA. I wouldn't want a clone of me. I want to be the only me around. Of course my clone would be different because she would be brought up in a whole different place and circumstances, but sill..
And it would be sick and wrong (and so likely to human kind) to start building a great nation with intelligent and fit people with cloning and stuff like that.

Humans are just so sick. We watched this video on biology class last year, in which scientists were messing up with flys' DNA and doing "scientificly important" tests. They were like moving the flys' asses where their faces used to be and when they were born you can understand how confuced they were. That is just so cruel.

Oh.. I still haven't answered the guestion. I think cloning is wrong and it should never ever be practised, but if a human clone is created it is as much human as we are, so i don't really understand the question. Of course I wouldn't kill it. It's a human beeing.

Last edited by Fazerina; 02-22-2002 at 11:58 PM..
02-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by mitsur

You would kill someone if they were created for the wrong reasons?
So you would have no problem killing a child who was conceived because of rape...I see...
02-23-2002, 11:34 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

how can a clone have a spirit if it wasn't created by god... if it dies its just the end i guess

02-23-2002, 11:43 AM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
how can a clone have a spirit if it wasn't created by god... if it dies its just the end i guess
Yeah, what gluk said.

02-23-2002, 11:49 AM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
As I see it, a well cloned human will have everything a non-cloned human has. In the philosophical and legal sense, not neccesarily biologically.

Edit: I think the soul dies with the brain in every sentient being. And it wouldn't be different for clones.

Last edited by Gluk Schmuck; 02-23-2002 at 03:51 AM..
02-23-2002, 11:50 AM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Animals were created my God and they don't have a spirit. A soul yes but no spirit. This is because they were not made in the image of God. He spoke them in existence.

Last edited by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR; 02-23-2002 at 03:55 AM..
02-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Animals were created my God and they don't have a spirit. A soul yes but no spirit.
What's the difference?
What are 'souls' and 'spirits'
02-23-2002, 12:02 PM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

i would feel aweful if someone told me that i was a clone...i would definetly kill myself

02-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Steve
Super Stingbee

: 456
Steve  (32)

if I were a clone I'd be walking around saying "I cost several million dollars more then you so HA!", I deffinatly wouldn't kill myself. according to you clones don't do anything after life so killing yourself would end everything, wouldn't you want to live for as long as possible then?
02-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
i would feel aweful if someone told me that i was a clone...i would definetly kill myself
I bet you're glad that you aren't an identical twin!
02-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Why would you kill yourself if you discovered that you were a clone, Nals? It wouldn't make you any different to the way you are now...

Tom, clones have everything non-clones have biologically.

There has been a suggestion that cloned animals might have shorter lifespans than non-clones, but it is unsubstantiated, and is probably more to do with the current technique of cloning than the principle of cloning.

Jenni, why are you so opposed to cloning, anyway?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-23-2002, 07:17 PM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by Danny
Tom, clones have everything non-clones have biologically.
:
Originally posted by Me
not neccesarily biologically
I meant that not all humans are biologically identical, not that the clone would have 24 arms and a total of 10 fingers!
02-24-2002, 01:14 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

:
Why would you kill yourself if you discovered that you were a clone, Nals? It wouldn't make you any different to the way you are now...
I would feel artificial and...un important i guess. Ill probably end up all sliced up anyways

02-24-2002, 01:51 AM
abe22
Sleg

: May 2001
: South/Eastern Victoria, Australia
: 680
abe22  (10)

Well back to the question I would only kill the clone if it was trying to kill ME.
I am againest cloning I think it's a load of bull and it's messing with nature. I do not want to see "Designer Babies" coming into this world it really sickens me.

Does anyone remember when they cloned that sheep? Dolly was it? I think it was For every normal sheep year Dolly gained like 7 years, or something like that. I think it died very quickly and It was retarted I think.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -- Jack Handy
That stuff only happens in the movies. -- Famous Last Words

02-24-2002, 02:10 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

THE GUINEISE WORLD RECORD FOR CLONING IS 5 PIGS... FROM THE SAME ONE.

02-24-2002, 07:23 AM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

: Turku, Finland
: 492
Fazerina  (22)

:
Jenni, why are you so opposed to cloning, anyway?
I just think it's wrong. We shouldn't be messing up with nature. And like I said already, it's sick if we start planning our babies. Well I was talking about this new human nation, but you don't have to go that extreme. I think this already is sick:
"Matt! Should we have a boy or girl?"
"Absolutely a boy."
"What would you like him to look like?"
"Blond hair, blue eyes."
"I think he should be tall. At least 190 cm."
"Yeah. then he can play basket ball."
"Okey then, lets call to the clinic..."

It's just.. if we start making humans and we decide how they will be like. It's just wrong. And unhumain. What about the not perfect people then? Well.. that wasn't really about cloning. Just about people messing up with DNA and genes. But it's the same thing with cloning.

I know, it could also be a good thing. But if we have the possibility, it would just go extreme. There's been talking about how good it would be, if you were for example very ill and they could clone some organs to you or stuff. Of course that would be a good thing, but how in hell would that be possible, anyway? You can't just clone a simple organ. Although you would find the right genes to do it, you couldn't keep it alive by itself. Would they make a whole clone of you and then rip its organs out when you need them? Well, I must say I don't know anything about how they plan doing this, but it just feels kind of absurd, doesn't it?

What comes to couples that can't have babies of their own.. Sounds cruel, but JUST LIVE WITH IT! You can't always have what you want. And you can always adopt. There are so many children out there suffering with hunger and diseases on some street or working in a factory, because they're orphens or just poor. 250 million children are working every day around the world. You could save at least one of them.. They shouldn't be so selfish. It doesn't matter if it's biologicly your child or not, you can love it as much and take care of it as your own. You don't have to clone a child so that it would be biologicly like you.

And there's the overpopulation problem. With all the millions and millions of people that live on this overpopulated planet and more are coming every day.. you want to clone more people?

And why would you want to clone a human, anyway? WHY? What good would that do? Is it just because they want to show they're up for that? That they can do it. Just..why?

:
Originally posted by abe22
I am againest cloning I think it's a load of bull and it's messing with nature. I do not want to see "Designer Babies" coming into this world it really sickens me.

Does anyone remember when they cloned that sheep? Dolly was it? I think it was For every normal sheep year Dolly gained like 7 years, or something like that. I think it died very quickly and It was retarted I think.
Well said, I agree with you.

Yeah.. I remember Dolly. It sure was on news then, but what about now..? I think it died also.. But they surely didn't have any fuss over that.
02-24-2002, 07:34 AM
dark_xinos
Grubb Fisherman

: Jan 2002
: Sweden
: 963
dark_xinos  (27)

Ok, im sorry that i have been to tierd to read al you're post... Now i just wanna awnser the topic question... NO. I wouildent kill anyone. Besides, if peaple had clones [everone of us], we wouldent fit on this world, and if we wanted to kill them, they probably would wanna kill us to... *breath out*. there.