02-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)
General Posting Tips

Much like my similar "Some Reminders On Spam", this thread is meant to be a quick read to work as a reference as to the appropriate way to post. Remember, my word is not the end all of discussion, please, correct me or point out opposing views to anything I say.

So let me just give a few brief words on why a matter such as posting needs attention. Online, you are what you type. If your post looks intelligent, you look intelligent. If you post intelligently, you'll sound mature. And most of all, if you sound mature, you post will convey more persuasion in an argument, carry more weight when suggesting an idea, and if you post a topic it will be more liable to get replies. In short: A good post gets a good reaction. So, with no mroe mindless crap from me, lets get on with the goal of the point of the thread.

Please Note: If English is not your first language, than that is perfectly acceptable. Being a second language, you're not expected to know all the perfect spellings, all of the right grammar, etc... Though that really isn't a problem, anyways. Most people here that don't have English as their native language type it better than most.

Fallacies of Intelligence

1. Capitalization- when you don't capitalize anything, like other forumers names, thread titles, the word "i", etc... it sort of makes your post look silly. after all, if a person can't use the shift key, what can they possibly do besides grow up to flip patties? capitalizing plays a very important role in making it easier to read a post by differenciating sentences. i didn't used to capitalize. don't make the same mistake i did.

2. Punctuation- When you dont put proper puncuation it makes it somewhat hard to read posts does it not? Put periods commas etc... and all of that other good jazz especially when doing lists. Get in the habbit of using apostrophes too because you should respect the English language like the rest of the litereate world at least in my opinion.

3. All Caps- REALLY, IT TAKES ONE PUSH OF A BUTTON BY THE PINKY TO NOT LOOK LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT. SAVE OUR EYES THE TROUBLE, PLEASE, AND JUST DON'T USE CAPS LOCK.

4. Specification- If you start a topic on something, refer to an event, etc... always specify what you're talking about. If you start a thread about a new political issue, explain what the issue is. If you give a reference to a person whom everyone might not know, clarify who they are. It makes it alot easier for someone to join the discussion.

5. Spelling/Typos- When you type, it si best too have good speling, or as close to good as you can get. This includes breifly cheking for typos before you psot, correcting any major spelling mistakes, etc... Also, please don't type wit a linguistic style either, cause dat can be a bit annoying.

NOTE: If you really don't know the spelling of a word, don't bother looking in up unless it bears some sort of imediate relevance, is vital to the meaning of the post, or is undecipherable. When you find yourself in need, http://www.m-w.com is an excellent online dictionary you can use for quick spelling/thesaurus look-ups.

Fallacies of Persuasion

1. Mindless Flaming- Keep this in mind if you ever get into an argument with someone. Don't insult them for things outside of the topic at hand. Don't automatically nitpick their posts. Argue your point, and leave it at that. The next two points somewhat relate to this.

2. Equality- Remember that online, we're all a bunch of pixels displayed on somebodies computer. Getting any sort of superiority complex will only make people hate you. Forums are the great equalizer. No one's opinion is better than anybody elses. Face it. No matter how much better you think you are, the other person is equal.

3. Knowing When To Quit- Don't continue an argument. If you have nothing more to argue, simply state that in a non-agressive way. Even concede. Remember, we're pixels. If your pride gets hurt by conceding in an online argument, you have some serious ego issues. AKA, you should be shot.

Fallacies of Post Appearance

1. Too Much Punctuation- Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who would've thought that a whole bunch of lines could look so stupid?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! It's obstructive. One exclamation point of question mark perfectly conveys the meaning of a sentence.

2. Stretched Posts- Let me clarify: Holding a word out rrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy long. If done improperly, you can easily expand the width of your post, causing it to only be 2 or 3 long lines of text. If your post creates a left/right scroll bar, edit it so it doesn't turn out like that.

NOTE: Pictures count as an exception. There is no picture size limit

3. Too Many Smilies- A can help to convey you're joking around. A can show confusion. A can express happiness. just indicates that you're an idiot. Smilies are great to add some color and eye relief to blocks of text, but don't use them in excess.

4. Seperate Paragraphs- This is rarely an issue, but a major one. If you have a large block of text, see if you can divide it into 2 different paragraphs. It helps people to keep their place, and makes your post more visually appealing.

Misc. Points
Not necessarily relating to an individual post

- Don't make large, scrolling, or obstructive sigs.

- Don't overgeneralize a group, like "Rich People", or especially "Americans". I'll really get onto anybody using "American" to generalize the actions of a few politicians as the choice of a couple hundred million people.

- Please, please, refer to "Some reminders On Spam". It will help to clarify any confusion regarding spam.

- Before making a topic, check to see if there is a similar topic within at least 2-3 pages.

- Make sure posted links work.

- Always post "SPOILERS" in the title of a topic with spoilers.

- Don't post any topic of crude or offensive nature. The OWF house people from all over the world, a good deal of different cultures, and a broad range of ages. Don't spoil the fun for others, don't clash cultures, and remember to always enjoy posting.

Last edited by Majic; 02-09-2004 at 04:43 PM..
02-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

Wow This has taught me how to post from now on... Not that i needed any teaching
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

02-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

Don't forget [Not 56k friendly] for lots of images in a thread.

If you're only going to abide by one of those rules, make it the smiley one dammit.
02-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Adder
Grubb Fisherman

: Oct 2002
: The nearest DDR machine
: 927
Adder  (11)

Good idea setting up a sticky on how to post.

I'll have to keep a link to this thread nearby for when I find a... "below adverage asthetical standerds" poster. ^.^

CAn someone please tell me exactly what is meant by "SPOILERS" ? I'm finding this word everywhere now, and it's just annoying!
02-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

Spoilers are things that spoil main parts of books/films/ games/plays. So for Star Wars a Spoiler would be that Darth is Luke's Father. But everyone on earth knows that so it isn't deemed a spoiler anymore
02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

[56k Unfriendly] sounds decent. I might add that later. Any other ideas for additions/subtractions?

Speaking of which, if I ever get myself a website running to post various mini articles, this'll probably be one of them. God damnit, my wholesome views of a perfect online world are not being heard. Everytime I see "rite", I cringe and scar myself.
02-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

:
So for Star Wars a Spoiler would be that Darth is Luke's Father. But everyone on earth knows that so it isn't deemed a spoiler anymore

thanx for spoiling "the empire strikes back" for me...

02-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

my biggest gripe with forums is people who use chatroom slang, because it "R0X0RS!1!!". Some people don't understand that a forum is place of messages for anyone to see, and many people (especially people who don't speak english very well) don't understand such sentances like. " fink its well kewl cus shes real fit." Many words, like kewl, aren't abbreviations, they're just annoying spellings that the writer seems to think is "cool". I don't mind it when people are joking around, and using chat room slang to convey a meaning, such as their dislike of chatroom slang users. I alsao hate 31337 users. Why people go "I AM DA L3370RS OF J001! ALL, I ROX0RS J0O0!11" for is beyond me.
That particular sentance would translate as (literally) "I am the elitest of you all, I rock you!". It's kinda pathetic really especially as I've heard that exact sentance said on various "forums".

Another dictionary/thesaurus/translator online for free, which is pretty useful is at www.dictionary.com.

Last edited by Esus; 02-14-2004 at 11:55 AM..
02-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Another suggestion: make titles relevent to the subject not like: Oh my god look at this... or This is some funny shit.

The reason I say this is so that when you're searching the forums you'll have more chance of finding what you're looking for if the title is say: 'The Halo Thread' or "Generic Flash Cartoon 5037"
03-19-2004, 12:38 AM
nads
Grubb Fisherman

: Mar 2002
: Essex, MA
: 946
nads  (10)

:
Another suggestion: make titles relevent to the subject not like: Oh my god look at this... or This is some funny shit.

The reason I say this is so that when you're searching the forums you'll have more chance of finding what you're looking for if the title is say: 'The Halo Thread' or "Generic Flash Cartoon 5037"
Yes, don't make a thread called "Harry Potter" and then fill with random stuff like FLCL, videogames Or trolls riding hotdogs.

4 cold years...

04-01-2004, 03:17 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: North East England
: 479
ClaireBear  (10)

I always thought that you don't capitalise because it denotes shouting and anger as how rude is that to walk into a room and go...

HEY GUYS! CHECK THIS OUT!

... rather than it hurting your eyes!

CB

But I'm just a double poster who can't believe the length of your rules mission statement... there's nothing about breathing is there? How about passing wind... am I still safe to do that whilst posting?

(and I am joking btw... but I do think its a tad OTT... but if it rocks your Oddworld then you're the boss! Boss!)
04-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

Esus  (10)

:
Don't overgeneralize a group, like "Rich People", or especially "Americans". I'll really get onto anybody using "American" to generalize the actions of a few politicians as the choice of a couple hundred million people.
Your country is a democracy, you decide what the politicians decide. If its American people who are allowed guns, then I feel I have the right to use the term "Americans" because all of you are allowed guns. Its not like the pliticians decided something but then nothing happened about it, people in America do have a lot of guns. Even if you personally don't.

Remember also to never say "English accent" when talking about the "Aquired" accent - that of the queen. It generalizes us too much and offends me deeply.
Also remember never refer to butlers as English or vice versa. This also deeply offends me.

04-01-2004, 04:54 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: North East England
: 479
ClaireBear  (10)

Aha! Another revolutinary!

Viva la Resistance!!!
04-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

:
(and I am joking btw... but I do think its a tad OTT... but if it rocks your Oddworld then you're the boss! Boss!)
This is the third time you've expressed your disagreement with the rules. If you don't like the rules here, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, rather than constantly bitch and moan about it.

You've only made, what, 20 posts now? And it seems all you've done since you've got here is complain.
04-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

Esus  (10)

:
Aha! Another revolutinary!
Nay, thou art wrong, feeble ClaireBear. I was merely commenting on such a scenario when I would use the generalisation Americans. I do actually agree with everything, so no not to a-dragging me in.

04-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

:
Nay, thou art wrong, feeble ClaireBear. I was merely commenting on such a scenario when I would use the generalisation Americans. I do actually agree with everything, so no not to a-dragging me in.
Nobody should generalize anyone. The one thing we all have in common, is the one thing that sets us all apart. The fact that we are all unique individuals.
04-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

Esus  (10)

Sometimes it has to be done - to get a point across. Everybody does it. Everybody.

02-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Biggy Bro Slig
Clakker Store Clerk

: Jun 2003
: Monsaic Lines
: 759
Biggy Bro Slig  (24)

Note to self:
Copy that on word, and then save.

02-22-2005, 10:11 AM
thatbluebastard
Thudslug

: Feb 2005
: Toledo, Ohio
: 167
thatbluebastard  (10)

:
Your country is a democracy, you decide what the politicians decide. If its American people who are allowed guns, then I feel I have the right to use the term "Americans" because all of you are allowed guns. Its not like the pliticians decided something but then nothing happened about it, people in America do have a lot of guns. Even if you personally don't.

Remember also to never say "English accent" when talking about the "Aquired" accent - that of the queen. It generalizes us too much and offends me deeply.
Also remember never refer to butlers as English or vice versa. This also deeply offends me.

oh please.

this view of American policy is like the Academy Awards for naivity.
03-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

:
Sometimes it has to be done - to get a point across. Everybody does it. Everybody.
Surely saying that "everybody does it" is just another stupid generalisation? I personally don't generalise, at all. Period. I find I live a better and more interesting life like this than I would if I decided that I don't like someone because they are American, Spanish, or French, or whatever.
09-03-2005, 02:42 PM
CheeseOfGlory
Fuzzle

: Jul 2005
: deep within your jesus
: 142
CheeseOfGlory  (11)

So...we shouldn't post anything that may refer to any sort of group?

100 posts? I THINK WE SHOULD HAIL SATAN

09-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
So...we shouldn't post anything that may refer to any sort of group?
No, we shouldn't make stupid generalisations. IE "All americans are fat" and "All french people smell like cheese and garlic, eat snails and frogs legs, and drive around Marseille in citroen 2CVs".
09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

I think something needs to be said here.

Recently, we've had several outbursts of rudeness and all-out assholery from numerous members. Children... play nice. Please do. It's just the internet, a bunch of pixels yelling at each other, yes, but that doesn't mean that ANY of you can just go into twat mode at the drop of the hat. Sarcastic quips, even exceptionally scathing ones, are alright every once and a while, but at least respect your fellow members. Being too argumentative or arrogant doesn't make anyone look smarter than anyone else. It just makes that person a dick.

Don't be a dick, children. Apple juice and cookies for everyone, etc.
09-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
a bunch of pixels yelling at each other
Hehe, funny mental image.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp pixelshout.bmp (175.3 , 299 views)