Oddworld Forums > Zulag Four > Necrum Burial Grounds

09-05-2005, 01:13 PM
monkeybait
Fuzzle

: Jun 2005
: In yo mom
: 125
monkeybait  (10)
Happy HAND OF ODD FANGAME DOWNLOAD FINALLY!

http://rapidshare.de/files/4767883/H...ngame.exe.html

big download... i know
go to the bottom and hit free in the left collum and wait for the download link.

README:
Oddworld: The Hand of Odd Fan Game

A game made in anticipation of Hand of Odd

Origoinally Written by:
Sander Smid
Machiel Mastenbroek

Edited and voiced by: Billy N. -AKA- Monkeybait

Controls:
Left click on a unit to select it

Left clicking and draging will create a box you can put over several units to select all of the units you want to select

Right click the point where you want the selected unit to go

Right click near an enemy to attack it

Enjoy!

Edit: sorry where does this go? Someone plaese tell me or move this thread. thankyou!

Last edited by monkeybait; 09-05-2005 at 01:16 PM..
09-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2003
: Location: Location.
: 814
Dave  (10)

Firstly, I commend you for undertaking this. I have no video game creating talent whatsoever, and for this you have my respect and admiration.

Now...

I liked the little Loading bar you had before the Title screen came on. It made me anticipate something special, professional looking, and unique.

The title screen left me a bit disappointed. But, reminding myself that it was only a fan game, I bore it.

I clicked on Practice, as I didn't know how to begin. Imagine my surprise when I read this!

:
Welcome to the Tutorial level of
Warcraft: The Dark Age

You are the commander of the Humans in the battle against the evil Orc
The hell? I thought this was Oddworld... No matter. I assume you took an existing engine and revamped the graphics and gameplay.

So I click okay, let's practice. The map looks decent enough ... but what are these little blue guys? Are these some sort of Oddworld creatures? They don't look familiar ... maybe their drawn at an unfamiliar angle ...

I click a unit and see, sure enough, that the graphic doesn't look more Oddworldian. But I see a little symbol on the side that looks like a mudokon.

Hmm. Okay.

I decided to move around a bit... and have to click several times at my desired location, because the footman selected tends to march in circles for a little bit.

Then an enemy strikes me! How to defend myself? I remember the directions were to click near the enemy ... and so I do. But, because the footman is already moving in circles, the enemy is also sliding around, and clicking near him only seems to confuse my footman even more ... and then he's dead. The monster didn't even look really Oddworldian, either.

So I send another footman after it ... and I think I make some progress, shortly before my footman is chased off the edge of the map by said monster.

Speaking of the map, scrolling around on it is quite slippery. Even if my mouse cursor is outside the game window, the map continues to scroll.

And ... there's no sound ... maybe (hopefully) my speakers are just retarded. I expected something. Obviously nothing loud and ear-bending, but maybe some ambient noise, like something you'd hear in Paramonia or the Monsaic Sanctum.

At this point I gave up. I went past the Campaign option and decided on a whim to look at the Credits.

Oh ... this is an Oddworld themed fangame. Which is different than what I expected, as it is loudly and boldly billed as an Oddworld Fan Game.

I don't want to come off as rude, believe me. I'm conveying my impressions of the game hopefully in just stating my experience with it.

But ... make the graphics - specifically, the moving units - better. More like they belong on Oddworld. Put in some ambient Oddworld sound. Fix the little text problem on the Practice page. This would make it better.

If I was mean or ignorant, I might go off on you about your recent assault on another forumer's fan game, but I respect that you tried to make a decent game of your own ... and since I don't know how much different your game is from the Warcraft engine you based it off of, I can't really say anything more and be justified.

You made a commendable effort. I admire this. I could never in a lifetime produce something like this. But ... if you are going to call it an Oddworld Fangame ... make it more Oddworldian.

[/review]

Last edited by Dave; 09-05-2005 at 10:27 PM..
09-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

Also, to add to Dave's sage posting; if you're going to be harshly critical and frankly disrespectful of the creative efforts of others, you sure as fuck better be able to present something superior in lieu of at least recognising and showing respect for the abilities of others, regardless of how comparitively bad their work may be. To this end you have failed, as this attempt of yours clearly demonstrates that you are nothing more than a hypocrite.

I'd be inclined to field some constructive criticism, but in light of your recent behaviour I don't really think you're deserving of anything other than what you yourself have offered others. So here's returning the favour; Fuck you, your game is shit and so is your attitude. I hope you fail endlessly until you stagger into a manhole and fall to your death following a night of wandering the cold, dark streets in a drunken, depressed state.
09-06-2005, 03:50 PM
monkeybait
Fuzzle

monkeybait  (10)
Happy Follow the rules and stop being a moron, Dino

*sniff* Wow...I'll bet that's the most time you've spent thinking about...

...anything...

:
"your game is shit and so is your attitude"
, he says, cussing perfusely...

...Speaking of hypocrits...

Firstly,
you are really starting to piss me off...
The Forum rules say that you shouldnt cuss as heavily as you just did several times in your post... C A L M D O W N

Secondly,
I'll admit... my game is pretty low quality, but it is Halo 2 compared to SligStorm's games. I have the right to critisize others in the way that I did, seeing as (ex) one of the games SligStorm made, you click a mudokon and you hear a gunshot....
-_-
in my game... you can do a hell of a lot more than click and hear a sound.
My advise to you...
Shut the hell up and get some decent grounding before you make some arguement using "f*ck you" multiple times to prove a "point"

Dismissed
Have a nice day

As for the Bugs you found, Sage: Sander Smid and Machiel Mastenbroek did the coding for me because I can't code for crap. They made the code say World of Warcraft: The dark ages as an example.
Secondly, because I don't know how to code... there must have been a minor glitch in the coding.
Thirdly, when you were attacked, you must have selected a peasant to attack. Only Tomohawkers, mudarchers and Elumriders can attack people.
Because of all these bugs, I am making a new version which will have better sprites, sounds, fixed bugs, more levels, different races and hopefully (not guarentied) a level editor!

But for now enjoy my game and all its glitchy goodness

as for you Dino...

Stop being redundent

Last edited by monkeybait; 09-06-2005 at 04:00 PM..
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

Dave  (10)

I'll field this, Dino.

:
Firstly,
you are really starting to piss me off...
The Forum rules say that you shouldnt cuss as heavily as you just did several times in your post... C A L M D O W N
Wow. You insult someone else for a low-quality game, put out your own game of low quality, and don't expect people to crack down on you just as hard? Yikes. I agree, Dino could have been a little more careful about his word choice, but I agree with his sentiments. Don't be such a dick to people. Etiquette, etiquette, etiquette.

:
Secondly,
I'll admit... my game is pretty low quality, but it is Halo 2 compared to SligStorm's games.
Halo 2 compared to Sligstorm's games? Hardly. In fact, definately not. You are not the World's Greatest Asset, do not pretend you are. I preferred the game Sligstorm did where you shoot the sligs and scrabs to your game, because it was playable and enjoyable. Yours ... what the hell do you do in your game?
:
I have the right to critisize others in the way that I did, seeing as (ex) one of the games SligStorm made, you click a mudokon and you hear a gunshot....
-_-
Yes, you have a right to criticise other games. Yes, you have a right to be a total asshole about it. But realize you aren't the only one with these rights. And it only makes it worse on you because your game wasn't all that great.
Your game does provide more than clicking to here a sound - mostly because there is little sound at all.

:
My advise to you...
Shut the hell up and get some decent grounding before you make some arguement using "f*ck you" multiple times to prove a "point"
Dino had decent grounding. Didn't you read his entire post? Firstly, he used one (1) **** You. Secondly, he was only offering you what you offered others: negativity. If you wanted people to look at your game and offer constructive criticism or compliments, you should have considered not being a royal prick to others. He wasn't proving a point, I don't think: Dino was telling you how he felt about your game. He wasn't even making an argument, really.

Don't act all high and mighty and complain to him about "excessive cussing." Sure, he cussed. But he got his point across in much the same manner as you did: he was rude and insulting. I say that, given the fact that this game doesn't look at all like it takes place on Oddworld, Dino is right.

And how about this little jewel?
:
As for the Bugs you found, Sage: Sander Smid and Machiel Mastenbroek did the coding for me because I can't code for crap.
Thanks. I've never been called Sage. It makes me feel powerful.

You didn't code this yourself? Wow. And I was impressed that you made this game all by yourself ... but, what you did was come up with an idea and change some sprites, then found some people with a talent you need in creating video games to do the hard stuff. It looks to me that you did what Sligstorm did, except you incorporated the help of some friends and tried to take it a step further.

:
you must have selected a peasant to attack.
Not at all. I selected a peasant at first, but the first thing I moved to explore was something called a "footman." It looked considerably tougher, and I wanted to make sure I would be safe if attacked. Turns out I wasn't.

And then, it's hard to play a game when there is nothing provided to us except movement controls, let alone enjoy it.

Dismissed.
Have a nice day!

09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
monkeybait
Fuzzle

monkeybait  (10)
Exclamation Rights

:
you aren't the only one with these rights.
True...
but I still have the right to be upset that everyone's on my ass.
09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

:
True...
You can dish it out, but you sure can't take it, can you?

:
this fking sucks a$$
Huh. This from the guy who pretty much recolored the sprites in a Warcraft game. Irony much?
Never knew Mudokons were so... beefy. Or that they wore such heavy armor.

:
If you put it on a public forum, you have to expect comments like this....
HAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited by Dipstikk; 09-06-2005 at 04:51 PM..
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

Dave  (10)

:
I never denied you this right.

I'm sorry for being like this to you, especially because I've never met you.

I do feel a little guilty just appearing in your thread and tearing you apart, but ...
Buddy, you need to have some respect for your fellow forumers. People will be more positive towards your work if you're cool. It's the way things work.

As far as your game, it is, all in all, a very, very, very decent start. Impressive. As I have stated, I could never make any game that looked remotely this good. But there is definately room for improvement. I suggest running a few bug tests with a few different players before making another official release.

Last edited by Dave; 09-06-2005 at 04:46 PM..
09-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

:
True...
You have the right to be a total moron. You have the right to put your finger in a plug socket. You have the right to hammer a nail into your thigh and cut your fingers off.

Rights don't redeem you of anything. You can be well within your rights and still end up certified retarded. If you don't want to get bitched at, then don't be an arrogant hypocritical pious blowhard.
09-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Shrink
Formerly Esus

: Dec 2002
: x
: 286
Shrink  (10)

To be honest, creating a RTS game with Gamemaker is easy.
I expected something quite good, when I saw the Gamemaker logo, because it's very easy to produce 'quality' on.
What I see is you stealing a fan Warcraft game, and changing the colours of some of the units.
Quite a dismal attempt really.
You could have least have ripped off a good Gamemaker RTS, of which many exist.
09-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

Hey. Everyone who's being bitchy.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up