08-05-2006, 05:06 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: Jan 2006
: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)
Question No Quiksave

Yes, another attempt in making a thread. Don't expect anything super great now.

This is a thread that is similar to Cullen's 'Zappfies only' thread. Basicly, there was a day where I looked back on AE, and thought, 'You know, would that game be any more challenging without Quiksave?'. And after that thought, I wondered if it would be possible to complete the last three games of Oddworld, without Quiksave. And then, it wasn't long before I started a new file of AE, without using Quiksave and using Save only at the beginning of a door, or section. And yes, I'm not lying, I completed AE with those things in mind.

However, I did not complete the game with all 300 Mudokons saved. The count score counted that I saved 330 to be exact, but that was because I used a glitch in Slig Barracks to get me back 19 guys I missed and killed. There were some challenges that frustrated me, such as the SoulStorm Mining Co. level, where it maybe around the second trip in the Mining Cart. That was where I didn't save a whole lot. I also remember making a mistake around the secret, to the enternce of SoulStorm Brewery, in Feeco Depot, where I went up instead down, a bit too early, and went into the door. That's all I could remember on who I missed.

And let me tell ya, the game is a lot more harder without the Quiksave. Espically around the areas where there were secrets in the level, making a few more challenges in one door level. I remember being frustrated around the time in Necrum's Paramite temple (I always forget their names), where there is a secret with the saws that keep on going through an angry Mudokon twisting a wheel. But the game gets really annoying when you have to accomplish long easy parts of a level, but then having to do it over, because there is this one hard part that is getting on your nerves, big time. This comes into play around Slig Barracks, since there are tons of things to do in that level, and even so, there are many Sligs to get on your nerves. Espically on Zulag 2, of the main rooms. Bonewerks, wasn't too hard, but it really got hard when it came to the first secret, where another Mudokon died there, and the main Annexes. Even around one of the levels where it's completeky backround, (Still can't remember these things) and once again, there was many things to do in that level. Feeco Depot excutive office, was probably only hard around the 'Recieve your Baggage' area. The Flying Sligs were really hard there, for they couldn't die, as long they were alone. SoulStorm Brewery wasn't too hard, for most of challenges were only a bit difficult. The ending was frustrating, but I came through.

Now enough on what I did. Have any of you tried to take this kind of challenge? I'm just interested. I always wondered if SW or MO would be any harder too.

Last edited by Slaveless; 08-05-2006 at 10:01 AM..
08-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Good effort at making your own replay motivation, Slaveless. It's not a new idea, but it's one I've never taken up. Unlike Zappflies Only, there's no screenshots you can take to prove your story to the rest of the world, but I suppose if you've got the satisfaction of having done in, you don't need that.

Questions about the rules: presumably you're allowed to kill yourself (or rather, Abe, Munch or Stranger) if you accidentally kill a Mudokon/Fuzzle/Egg/Outlaw so you can go back to the last save point and try again. Are you also allowed to “Reset Path”?

Mmm... soon I will complete Stranger's Wrath picking up every secret, killing the least possible number of Outlaws, not QuikSaving and … using only uncharged Zappflies. Yes, you heard me.

“Aww crap, how do I get past this door?”

08-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: Jan 2006
: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)

Thanks Max. I knew that there was no way to prove I did not use QuikSave, so I hoped my post above would prove it.

But yes, I do believe that you are allowed to use the Reset Path option. It doesn't seem like a problem to me.

And yes, I said that many times while playing the game. It's very frustrating getting past those long, hard doors. Surprisingly, if you look closely, there is an easy way out of many of the difficult problems in the game.

08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Kamille
Spark Stunk

: Sep 2005
: New Jersey
: 356
Kamille  (10)

I could do without QuikSave its just harder and takes more time, thats cool though that you found a good reason to replay AE I'm using all the cheats now its fun, invincible abe makes me feel powerful

I'm going to try beating it without quiksave but even with it I never managed to save all the mudokons
08-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Cullen Heath
The Oddworld Bazaar

: Oct 2005
: .
: 1,983
Cullen Heath  (6)
Happy

NICE! Man, congrats, that must be a real hard one! I would like to try that when I have time to start playing Oddworld again...
Unfortunately, that won't be for a while.
But, yeah. That's quite an accomplishment. I remember how good it felt after finishing Stranger's Wrath with Zappflies Only!
By the way, has anyone else done that one, yet?

:
Mmm... soon I will complete Stranger's Wrath picking up every secret, killing the least possible number of Outlaws, not QuikSaving and … using only uncharged Zappflies. Yes, you heard me.

Don't forget getting all the Outlaw Bosses alive, Max. That's what I did in Zappflies Only.

08-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
Don't forget getting all the Outlaw Bosses alive, Max.
I didn't forget. Getting all the Bosses alive is implied in
:
…killing the least possible number of Outlaws…

08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Cullen Heath
The Oddworld Bazaar

: Oct 2005
: .
: 1,983
Cullen Heath  (6)
Happy

Ahh, understood. Well, my bad.