07-31-2001, 04:32 AM
glukkon_daniel
Spark Stunk

: Apr 2001
: Champaign, IL
: 368
glukkon_daniel  (10)
Higher dimensions

I have just gotten interested in higher dimensions and space-time. I am currenty reading a book called Hyperspace.

It is impossible for a human to see or even think of a higher dimension. If we were taken into the fourth dimension, we would not see 4 dimensional things. We would see blobs. Think of it like this: If we pulled a 2 dimensional being out of its plane, then he would see many wonderful things moving in ways he never ever thought possible. If he saw a human, we would look hideous. To him, we'd look like ovals put together, with color smeared across us. The color of our shoes would blend in with the color of our skin, the color of our skin would blend in with the color of our pants or shorts, etc., etc. And it would be possible for a higher dimensional being to see us and imagine us, but that would never happen. Think of it like this: nobody will ever see the actual second dimension itself. There is nothing in this universe that is 2 dimensional. But we could think of what it would look like. It would be the same for a higher dimensional being. They could imagine us and see us, but it'll never happen.

0 dimension: Nothing.
1st dimension: A line which is infinitely thin. Trains are seen as one dimensional because they can only move two ways: backward and forward.
2nd dimesnion: A plane. Cars are seen as 2 dimensional because they can only move forward, backwards, and to the side.
3rd dimension: Space. A spaceship is seen as three dimensional because it can move forward, backward, to the sides, and up and down.
4th dimension: ???

Think of a cross made out of paper. If you fold this cross the correct way, you get a box. Now think of a hypercube (a three dimensional cross. It has four boxes on top of eachother, and coming out of each side of the next-to-top box, is another box.). How would you "fold" it to make a four dimensional cross? It is impossible for anyone to even think of it. And if someone ever DID see a higher dimension, which is impossible, then there would be no point in trying to explain it to us, because it'd be like trying to explain the color red to a blind man.

Some think that God and spirits live in higher dimensions. I think I believe this. I think that God can know everything, because imagine being God living in the third dimension. Now, if you are God, and you rule over the first dimension, how much is there to know about a line? Not much at all. You would know everything about it.

I don't really want to say that much more, since there is too much to say, and people might not read it if it's too long.

07-31-2001, 04:41 AM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Demonakos: mortal you know to much...I will have to eliminate...mumph! *is gagged and pinned*

No killing RL ppl Demonakos!

Heh sorry Daniel...very interesting info you got there.

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

07-31-2001, 04:47 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I'm confused. You seem to be saying that dimensions are infact alternate realities, whereas my knowledge of dimensions says that there are currently only four dimensions that we are certain of. There is length (1D), breadth (2D), height (3D) and time (4D). The universe exists in relation to these four dimensions.

07-31-2001, 05:01 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

Hello, Daniel!

All that mumbo jumbo you talked about reminds me a book I read last year: Flatland, a story about a two dimensional guy who gets a vist of a three dimensinal guy that shows him the beauty of seing the world throught a new dimension ( a 3rd one).

There is an online version of the book on the web, I will try to find the link later. A reference to this book was used by Carl Seagan in one of his Cosmos Series's episode. It is really very cool. We can extrapolate the idea to a fourth dimension, strange to human beings.
07-31-2001, 05:09 AM
glukkon_daniel
Spark Stunk

glukkon_daniel  (10)

Yes, I have heard of Flatland, and Hyperspace makes many references to it.

And Sydney, I'm saying that other dimensions are there, but in another universe. Or something like that... If you want to argue with me, then fine, because you'll probably win. I do not know that much now since I just started getting interested, but I will start studying.

07-31-2001, 05:31 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

Lampion  (11)

The idea of a multi-dimensional universe is heavily based on mathematical theories. Using advanced mathematics it is very easy to model 4, 5, 200 dimensional spaces, although is it unconceivable to human beings to perceive any dimension other than the four ones aforementioned by Sydney. We can't even perceive Time as a fourth dimension of our space.

If you get the right knowledge, and some free time, you can try to imagine Time as another dimenion of a 4D space, and even see how objects move within this space.

Some guys at my college, students of Physics, said they did that once, but that would cost a whole night awake to accomplish such a difficult brain task (those guys are nuts, thats what they are).

Using plain algebra and vectorial calculus, is is possible to create multi dimensional spaces in theory, spaces that doesn't deny any of our known physics laws. It doesnt mean they really exist in our universe, though.
07-31-2001, 06:39 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

Oops, I didn't mean to sound argumentive, Daniel.

07-31-2001, 06:44 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

Lampion  (11)

Ok, I finally found the link to an online version of the book I mentioned above. If anyone has a few hours of free time, just take a look. It is very worth reading.

Flatland: a Romance of Many Dimensions - By Edwin A. Abbot

This book was written in the 1880's

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Lampion ]
07-31-2001, 07:43 AM
Sexy Slig
Boombat

: Jul 2001
: Odd World
: 219
Sexy Slig  (10)

Shit Dan you should write a book on all that stuff, your literally oooozing with knowledge!!!!!!!!!!
But your nothin compared to Max the mug

07-31-2001, 07:57 AM
glukkon_daniel
Spark Stunk

glukkon_daniel  (10)

I would really love to "argue" about higher dimensions and stuff, but there'd be no point right now, as I do not know enough facts to back me up.

07-31-2001, 09:02 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

: 329
LuxoJr  (10)

Hang on - don't the four axes go something like this?

1. X Width
2. Y Height
3. Z Depth
4. Time
07-31-2001, 01:03 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

i'm always confuzzleing myself by thinking about this stuff...my problem is that i try to imagine the universes with more than our 4 dimensions...

my theory is that a 3D thing would be able to see all of a 2D thing (X, Y & time) all at the same time...something like putting a cartoon onto pieces of asetate and putting it in a pile...
(i've probably just re-invented an existing theory)

...but, ofcourse, it's theoretically impossible to see a 2D object from a 3D object's point of view...

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Gluk Schmuck ]
08-01-2001, 11:22 AM
Robbo
Sniper Wasp

: Oddworld
: 254
Robbo  (10)

i agree with sexy slig. you could even make a T.V. show about it!!!

08-01-2001, 05:40 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

actually, our universe IS 5-dimensional - there is considerable evidence that space in slightly curved into a 5th dimension, which is why the universe in not quite infinite. which makes me a 5-dimensional being! ooh, that makes me feel goood...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

08-01-2001, 05:46 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

ok then, smart ass-lick...

1. X
2. Y
3. Z
4. TIME
5. ????
08-01-2001, 06:00 PM
Joe the Intern
Outlaw Cutter

: Boise?
: 1,181
Joe the Intern  (11)

ive thought about these kinds of things all the time. i believe that a balck hole is a gateway to many other dimensions. and these dimensions are linked to our universe but make up the universe itself. if somehow someone got enough speed (which is impossible) they could travel through the black hole which would actually be traveling past the space time continuim and through the fabric of space time to another different space time. i think to disrupt the magnitude of the balck hole to travel through it a massive curve in space time would have to be present. say a red giant star next to the hole. i know this is all stupid and impossible and doesnt make any sense. me and a friend thought it up.

08-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

i think, before we go on, we'd better clarify that 'dimensions' are not the same as 'parallel universes'. in the same way you don't need to go through a black hole to change direction, you don't need to go through a black hole to experience the 5th dimension.

glukk: we don't have a name for it. physicists probably do, but i'm not one of them.

like i said, space is only very slightly curved into the 5th dimension, which is why we haven't noticed it. but it is the reason why, if you carried on travelling in the same direction, you'd end up back where you started. i have a book somewhere...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.