12-13-2003, 03:36 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)
Oddworld FeeCo Depot

Massive glass and wrought iron cathedrals, towering hundreds of meteres into the sky, standing as an everlasting testimony to the power of industry.

Looking inside, we see fields of luggage and cargo, netorks of rail, and a baffling maze of paths and bridges.

Victorian architecture, powerful locomotives, plenty of business... No matter how much the environmentalists hate Glukkon industry, they'll always need FeeCo.

So should we expect to see FeeCo make a return in future Oddworld games? Or did FeeCo die along with the Magog Cartel's Mudos council?

Considering that Abe only visited one FeeCo depot, and in the end didn't destroy it, I certainly think it will, but I wanna see what you all think.

Will it? Or won't it?
12-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I hope to revisit FeeCo Depot in the future. Especially in 3D! It'd be reasonable as well, and fit perfectly into the storyline. As it is the central hub for the Magog Cartel.

Meaning Abe has access to most (if not all) of the facilities.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-13-2003, 05:33 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

If we went back to classic places like FeeCo Depot in 3D, I'd want it to be done right and looking good. Kinda like those FMV's of you zooming through awesome landscapes and such, but better. I know OWI is capable of doing it.

Rantings from my friend. He felt he needed to type something, so I let him:
Then i saw her and knew it was love ha ha!!!you are all weird and i am too so it's ok and let's all love each other and find happieness.

-oddguy

12-13-2003, 05:57 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

FMV style graphics would be excellent. Unfortunately all the cool designers from OWI have left. (I beleive as a result of the munch thing) so I doubt we will ever see anything as impressive as the first two games.

Although I could be proved wrong here...
12-13-2003, 07:01 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

lets say that there are other talents at OWI now...

anyway a glimpse in a 3D FeeCo Depot would be very nice! But not especcially the one we allready saw in AE.
FeeCo Depot is realy one of my favourite envirements, and I would be very glad to see it again!

also the fact that it is the central hub of the Magog could be intresting. I can allready imagine lots of missions based on that

12-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

The FeeCo network is far from over. Simply because one of them has been made redundant due to the closure and/or destruction of most of the major facilities connected to it (the Slig Barracks are still around, and the upcoming line to Vykkers Labs (probably ground-based Vykkers Labs) wasn't destroyed) and the deaths of all members of the Board of Executives that run the industries connected to it (that is RuptureFarms and the SoulStorm Brew flag-"ship" factories), doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of other terminals and stations. They needn't all be the same size, they needn't even offer the same services - there could be smaller stations in the large cities for commuting and so on. I like to imagine they aren't all wrought iron, either - there could be a predominantly wooden-looking one built in whatever town we'll be seeing in Oddworld 4. Bigger industry does seem to be trying to set itself up there, after all, and fashions probably change more over distance than time on Oddworld, so one facility could have an entirely different architectural style to one half way across Mudos, although I'd hope they'd all be irrevocably recognisable as being FeeCo Depots.

12-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

I can just imagine it now. A rickety old wooden platform, on a really high truss, with loads of old rusty metal stairs. And those chicken hillbillies sitting about on the platform waiting for a train to come. Hehe. Oh and a rusty corrugated iron shed as a rainshelter.

What Max said about Oddworldians using railways for commuting is most likely true. From what I've seen and read, FeeCo depots are huge places. It is very possible that the only bit you get to see is just a small section of it that deals with frieght. There may be hundreds of passenger lines owned by many different companies and networks.

The Magog locomotives may well be the only locomotives that look like that, there may be many other styles...

Who knows. The only thing we know for sure is that passengers use the railways as much as industy, and that the FeeCo depot that Abe infiltrated was just one of hundreds.
12-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

yes, this sounds great, and remember what Lorne said, "the facilities in this game are huge, rupture farms is tiny compared to it" or something like that. Kewl!

PS: Death, you dont have to call them hillbilly chickens anymore
they are called Clakkerz.

12-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

I agree with Lorne Lanning on this one, Rupture farms really is quite small. It's mostly stockyards and outbuildings, the central building is for slaughtering, processing and packing.

Something like the slig barracks or Soulstorm brewery, now that is much larger.
12-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Wow, Max and Death seem to have a lot of good idees! It would be very nice to travel from one point to another in real time using the FeeCo Trains

12-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

I really liked FeeCo Depot a lot. The environment was really cool, and I thought it was neat way to lauch yourself to the other areas of Oddworld, and other Factories, etc.

I really liked Aslik's personality, and overall character too. Plus the whole propaganda signs, "The Trains will Be on Time." I hope there is is some type of relative they could make to Aslik, because I was a bit mad that he had to die. True he was an industrialist, and wasnt really needed anymore, but I wish they would have kept him around.
12-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Originally posted by Al the Vykker
I really liked FeeCo Depot a lot. The environment was really cool, and I thought it was neat way to lauch yourself to the other areas of Oddworld, and other Factories, etc.

I really liked Aslik's personality, and overall character too. Plus the whole propaganda signs, "The Trains will Be on Time." I hope there is is some type of relative they could make to Aslik, because I was a bit mad that he had to die. True he was an industrialist, and wasnt really needed anymore, but I wish they would have kept him around.
Yeah Aslik was a pretty funny character. His younger brother, junior executive or vice president will most likely fill his position...

My favourite industrialist has to be Mollock. I have real respect for that Glukkon. He's so cool, calm and powerful...

Dripik always reminds me of that guy the piss-take-movie of Top Gun... "Hot-shots" I think it was. hehe.

"I'll get them or my name aint Da.. Eh.. Ah... "
"Uh, Dripik, Sir"
"DRIPIK! Yeah, I... I knew that, I did, I did!"

Erm, what was the topic of this thread again?
12-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

:
Originally posted by Death
Yeah Aslik was a pretty funny character. His younger brother, junior executive or vice president will most likely fill his position...

My favourite industrialist has to be Mollock. I have real respect for that Glukkon. He's so cool, calm and powerful...

Dripik always reminds me of that guy the piss-take-movie of Top Gun... "Hot-shots" I think it was. hehe.

"I'll get them or my name aint Da.. Eh.. Ah... "
"Uh, Dripik, Sir"
"DRIPIK! Yeah, I... I knew that, I did, I did!"

Erm, what was the topic of this thread again?
Feeco, yeah I know I went off on a tangent. But I figured since we were talking about Feeco, why not also mention the Glukkon responsible for its caretaking, and management, etc. Not to mention one of my favorite characters.
12-13-2003, 06:35 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

I look forward to what we see of Feeco in the future, there are so many things that OWI can use to create the stunning and awe-inspiring system. I personally doubt it will become a part of OW4 because of the very different architechture that they're using, but ya never know...

12-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
Originally posted by Esus
because of the very different architechture
Mentioning architechture. FeeCo Depot was very intricately designed. As I mentioned before in my previous post, seeing it in all its glory in 3D would be marvelous.

I especially like the idea of riding the FeeCo Trains in real time to transport yourself to the different areas.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

I would like to see some good 3D perspective put into some lighting effects, like sunbeams, if they do make FeeCo 3D. Especially since the entire thing is just one great big greenhouse.

I think they based it on Paddington station, in London, England. Because I've been there and the station roof and general victorian architecture is pretty much the same as FeeCo.
12-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

:
I think they based it on Paddington station, in London, England. Because I've been there and the station roof and general victorian architecture is pretty much the same as FeeCo.
all the style Art Nouveau is like that you know there are pretty much stations/buldings over here with the same desing

12-20-2003, 05:21 PM
moodokon man
Howler Punk

: South Africa
: 302
moodokon man  (10)
No Come On

:
Unfortunately all the cool designers from OWI have left. (I beleive as a result of the munch thing) so I doubt we will ever see anything as impressive as the first two games.
Honestly I could not disagree with you more. Designers may have left, good designers, but the new ones will create a whole new fresh pespective of the odd. Look at the new pics. Just really take a good look. Its brilliant. Oddworlds new game is goin places....Oddworld Inhabitants is goin places. Just watch!!!!!! dont say stuff like that. Please it just geta me down.

12-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

I do agree with MM... something new can be refreshing, but it has to be even goodd

anyway, wait and see

12-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

Well actually, we can't compare the next Oddworld release to anything yet, because we havent actually seen anything other than some poor quality screenshots. So speculation either way just isnt worth arguing for.

The truth is that the designers who most majorly made Oddworld "odd" througout the first two games have left. So speculation for the side that say "it wont be as good as the first two games" is slightly more truthful than the side that say "it will be just as good, you'll see!".
12-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

:
Well actually, we can't compare the next Oddworld release to anything yet, because we havent actually seen anything other than some poor quality screenshots. So speculation either way just isnt worth arguing for.

The truth is that the designers who most majorly made Oddworld "odd" througout the first two games have left. So speculation for the side that say "it wont be as good as the first two games" is slightly more truthful than the side that say "it will be just as good, you'll see!".
Well, I guess only time will tell. It is true though we cant really make large assumptions off a lot of out of date rough gameplay, from the X-Factor, etc.
12-23-2003, 03:29 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

:
Originally posted by Al the Vykker
Well, I guess only time will tell. It is true though we cant really make large assumptions off a lot of out of date rough gameplay, from the X-Factor, etc.
Exactly. In the interview with Lorne Lanning, he mentioned that he was disapointed that people were already critising the game. Even when it hadn't been released, on only on what little had been given to the public. Which means OWI aren't going to rush in giving us information on OW4.

Though, I'll say that I believe the Clakkerz will remain the same. I got that impression from Alf, the Christmas Card, and Lorne. Which is fine

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

12-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

The reason people are judging before the game is even released is partly because the majority of the general public are idiots.
12-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Aside from the idiots I belive that everyone is just afraid that this next game will turn into another Munch's Oddysee. Now it wasn't a bad game it's just that everyone was expecting something much different due to past previews. However when it comes to the new talent at OWI well I belive its just as good if not better. Let us remember OWI dosen't just hire people off the street, they make you go though a long and arguous interview process before you can get the job; even then they won't look at you unless they think you have talent in all area's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

12-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

I think that people are continuing to overstate the amount of criticism that was given. As far as I see it, people only criticised some of the "at that time current" art of a couple of creatures, more notably of the clakkerz. The game itself hasn't been criticised as far as I have seen.

I also think clakkerz will remain as they were, they were one of the only creatures they have shown us, and it's art has been on the DD, the card and the television. If it was only an alpha or a beta version, I doubt it would've been one of the first creatures they showed us.

12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

:
Originally posted by Esus
I also think clakkerz will remain as they were, they were one of the only creatures they have shown us, and it's art has been on the DD, the card and the television. If it was only an alpha or a beta version, I doubt it would've been one of the first creatures they showed us.
good point here...
I do agree with you, I suppose we'll have to simply wait and see what's coming

12-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
I think that people are continuing to overstate the amount of criticism that was given. As far as I see it, people only criticised some of the "at that time current" art of a couple of creatures, more notably of the clakkerz. The game itself hasn't been criticised as far as I have seen.
Esus, exactly, I can't praise people enough for pointing this out. I haven't noticed a single person decide to ditch the next game, all I've seen is people saying how upset they are that the character design does seem up to OWI's capabilities, plus some initial surprise that the game would feature FPS sections.

Oddsville, I disagree. Well, kind of. I can't speak for other people, but I'm not worried about Oddworld 4 becoming another Munch's Oddysee, at least not the way everyone's going about it. Let me explain: I wasn't most disappointed by all the content that was excluded from the game, I understand why that didn't happen. I'm disappointed by a multitude of factors within the game that contributed towards making the entire experience fairly un-Oddworld. Native vending machines is a prime example, as are the character AI, random metal islands in the Fuel Fields - so much is just unexplained, so much is unexplainable (I swear there was a floating metal island at one point in the game), so much is just completely out of character. I think Mudokons completely lost their innocence when they were made to yell out dismal phrases such as "Hey, what's happenin' Abe?". I don't mean to continue the debate about MO, merely clarify where my concerns about Oddworld 4 lay.

12-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

I agree with Max, but doesn't everybody? Anyway I see that peole were constantly critisising char design and possibly some of the game footage (namely FPSs). But noone critisised the actual overall game, and because of this i dont worry about another MO, from what we've seen it'a going to be far different from any of the OW games we've seen.

I mean think about:

OW4: The other OW:
Gnarled forests Normal looking forests
Giant Chickens Skinny Natives
Big Blunderbuss style guns Little pop guns with rubber bullets
Talking viking boats Drowning

you get the idea...

12-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

Too much speculation and critisism for what is at the end of the day, only a game.

Keep it on topic or else. Grr Arg.
12-24-2003, 07:19 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

I would like to see more than just trains. For instance maybe a feeco air hanger for the Vykkers air ships or maybe an underground network in to the big cities like a New york/ Oddworld styal subway system. I can imagine you out in the wilderness and all of a sudden a small stair case and ticket booth is errected that goes underground to a subway station that leads to the big city. It gets built real quickly by some odd technology and as its in the building process when it gets finnished a Feeco sign pops out of the roof where a small consumer product cannon raises up over the sign. It starts fireing at native Mudokons as you hear a coin be put in the slot next to the ticket stand. Where then the Mudokon is picked up and carried away to be sold as cheap labor. hehe