Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

12-07-2009, 03:28 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)
Oddworld Prison OtherSide: Night Watch

Prison OtherSide: Night Watch

= Prologue =

Rook’s recovery from the Dark Wing bite was fast. He felt no ill symptoms and prison life returned to a sort of normality. That is, when you put aside the weekly brawls and attempted breakouts. Rook learned a few more lessons of prison life on the side of the guards. Not all of these were pain-free lessons of course. Flek and Karbo kept Rook out of trouble, but even they couldn’t be with him twenty-four hours a day.

When Rook felt depressed, he’d often have a few drinks with Queck. For gossip, Rook usually turned to Sammy. The young inmate was practically a gold-mine worth of information, shame he had to leave at the end of the month. Rook was happy for him and offered to meet up with him again on the outside someday.

Barka and Weslee continued training with weights. They were instructing the other Wishers members about good prison etiquette, if such a thing exists. Scraper was up to his old tricks. Mainly starting fights with the other inmates. Rook bothered Scraper, ever since Rook showed him up in the food hall. Scraper wanted revenge… but was it possible?

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

12-07-2009, 03:34 PM
enchilado
I don't even know!

: Nov 2009
: Brisbane, Australia
: 2,749
enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

Interesting, but is this the first you've written about these characters?

You seem to be writing as if we've heard about them before.
12-07-2009, 03:39 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

Yep. There is a prequel but Fanfiction.net is temporarily down (http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexfili). Check the link its working. In the meantime, just enjoy this little bit. More comments please!

Edit: Prison OtherSide (the prequel) should be up there in a few hours time. Enjoy!

[B]
floofyderg.live

Last edited by AlexFili; 12-07-2009 at 03:46 PM..
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Dryadri
Sniper Wasp

: Oct 2009
: Behind you.
: 281
Dryadri  (195)Dryadri  (195)

Sounds good so far I'll have to check these characters out in the link.
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Basically, I got the idea by reading Glory Slig. Not only that, but prison based dramas like Shawshank Redemption and Porridge gave me some ideas. I wanted to write for the other side though, the wardens... Since they are often the characters which are written as bad or anti-heroes.

= * = * =

Chapter 1: Bodies

Rook has been in Keeya Prison for a month now. Times were good at the moment. However, nothing lasts forever. A few days after the snow had started falling, strange sightings were being reported from all areas of the prison. Shadowy figures, along with screams in the night. Ebertto and Baeny were struck down during the previous night, Alon found them passed out on their patrol route. An emergency meeting was called for some of the red cappers, Flek was among them.

Flek grimaced. “I found Garlett this morning, another bite.” Nakka was in a panic. "That's three bodies now, three!" Flek shook his head, "No choice then, call up the hunters... This Dark Wing problem has become much worse..."

Rook was in the middle of his evening meal. He was just about to dip some bread into some soup when he heard a noise from his headset. He clicked the receiver, “I’m eating. What’s up?” Flek chuckled, “You realise that everyone can hear you on this? I just wanted to let everyone know… The Hunters are on call again.” Rook was taken aback, he clicked the receiver back into the off position. “Ode, what do we do now?”

Rook secretly disliked the Hunter’s armour. It was heavy and the black fabric always bothered him. Still, it was his obligation and no amount of fidgeting would make this any easier for him. He was now among the Hunters group in the clan room. Alon was there, along with Ewen and the others. Alon was about to start the meeting.

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I can't really judge this, as the plot hasn't exactly begun yet, but I believe I know how Scraper can get his revenge.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

12-08-2009, 05:14 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Thanks again for the comments. I wrote lots of chapters in a row, this is feeling much more fun to write than any other story so far. The story is going to pick up in the next few chapters.

= * = * =

Chapter 2: Case

Alon cleared his throat. “These Dark Wings are more aggressive than usual. Their habits have changed dramatically. Now they hunt in packs as well. This calls for more drastic measures. We are recruiting new Hunters and will organise more patrols.”

Ewen sighed, “Longer patrols too?” Alon nodded, “Until we get the right number of Hunters, we’ll have to double the patrols until we can contain the Dark Wings.” Rook liked this discussion less and less, but what choice did they have? Rook raised a hand, “I’ll volunteer for first watch.” Alon chuckled, “Okay, but we have to start at Eight. You should get your things ready before we leave” Rook nodded. The other Hunters were discussing available times. Rook left the room to get ready, a little nervous about the night ahead.

Night patrol was not fun. The only sounds you could hear were the clanging of the metal chains and the eerie noises of the night time animals. A few hours later they heard the noises they were listening out for; the screeches, the sound of talons rubbing against metal, the tell-tale screams of the terrified prisoners. Alon stood up, his harpoon in his right hand. “It is time.”

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

Talk about intense. Sounds almost like a horror movie script or something. I do quite like those descriptions, and it's an interesting dilemma that Rook seems to have set himself up in. Scraper is after him in the day, while the Dark Wings are after him at night. On top of that, wasn't Rook still a blue cap? Or had he moved on to red cap? It's been a while since last time we heard from Rook and his prison adventures. And what could be driving these creatures to attack like this?

I take this as the time to say that if I forget to mention something, odds are it's fine. everything I do mention is either improvable or exceptional.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

12-08-2009, 07:19 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Rook is still a blue capper at the moment. He'll probably enter the exam in a few weeks time. You ask a lot of good questions. I'm sure plenty will be revealed in good time. Thanks again for the comments. If you liked my previous descriptions, you'll love this latest chapter!

= * = * =

Chapter 3: Death’s Door

It took at least an hour to locate the Dark Wings. The Dark Wings were fast, they were able to confuse the Sligs by staying still for long periods of time. Rook really didn’t feel well at all, the sweat on his back was making him feel claustrophobic and tired. Alon was about to give up when he heard a scream nearby, “I’ll go check it out.” Rook could barely nod his head, he was feeling so exhausted. Rook placed his back to a wall nearby, trying to strain his eyes and ears for whatever may come near.

Rook then had a thought, maybe it was in the power supply container. After all, these containers were rarely checked and sparingly used. Rook took a few cautious steps towards the supply container. He grabbed the handle and turned it. He found something, but not quite what he was looking for. It was a nest. The nest was made of old newspaper cuttings and torn up posters. Rook was angry to see Dark Wing eggs inside the nest. He picked up the first egg before throwing it at the wall. “Damn you, DAMN THESE THINGS.”, Rook’s voice broke as he screamed through the night. In a fit of rage, he kicked the other two eggs in the nest, the thick yolk spread across the ground.

While Rook was distracted, the creature had its chance. Leaping suddenly from the shadows behind him, the creature bit hard on Rook’s neck. Rook could feel the venom spreading. He tried to struggle but it was difficult to reach the creature. He was losing consciousness. In an act of desperation, he ran backwards and slammed his back against the wall. The Dark Wing was almost crushed under the impact, letting go instantly. The Dark Wing was about to fly away when Rook lifted his leg and pinned the creature down. Rook took out his tranquiliser and shot the creature. The creature struggled, but soon fell asleep. Rook now had another concern… The venom inside his neck.

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

: In the mists of time
: 255
Slig75  (20)

Sorry i'm late on this, Good start
Wonder what will happen next

Also, Check out my Youtube account http://www.youtube.com/user/Admeet75

Last edited by Slig75; 12-08-2009 at 07:23 AM..
12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Chapter 4: Equal Odds

The venom was spreading. If Rook didn’t act fast now, he could be in serious trouble. His arm was shaking as he took out the small injector capsule. He removed the plastic cap, exposing the sharp needle beneath. ‘Would this work? Can this work against neck bites? What will happen to me?’ Rook acted fast, he plunged the capsule in his neck. The immense pain brought him down to his knees. Normally he’d be screaming right now, but his energy was so low that he could barely stay awake. Rook slumped against the wall and immediately fell asleep, the capsule still in his hand.

The next morning, Rook awoke to discover that he had been brought to the Barracks. He placed a hand on his neck, but couldn’t feel the bite marks there. It was late morning, nobody else was in the dormitory. Rook had guessed that Alon had given him the morning off so that he could recover from last night’s patrol.

Over the next few hours, Rook thought about what happened last night. He felt incredible anger at discovering the nest of Dark Wing eggs, such an anger he never felt before. Then he was bitten. The creature had managed to force a lot of venom into Rook’s system. Rook had never been forced to wait that long before taking the remedy capsule before. Although Rook was somewhat confident that the remedy capsule would work this time.

Rook was feeling very hungry, he could have eaten a whole Scrab right now. He brushed the dust off his blue cap and placed it on his head. Rook headed down to the food hall to try and get some early lunch.

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

The rate that you're posting chapters, makes it a little tricky to keep up, so please excuse a few less comments.

On the actual chapter, it seems to be an ideal setup for something very bad... I can't quite put my finger on it, but it can't be good. Why has everyone else left the dormitory? What if it isn't because it's late morning? What if it's something else? Please note that these questions are not meant to be answered directly, but are what's on my mind about this.

:

12-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Good chapter

12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Oddey you have fantastic ideas. I guess that's why you won the contest instead of me ^_^. As for the chapter spam, sorry... but I've gotten really carried away with this story. I just HAD to post it while my ideas were still fresh. You can wait a while between comments if you like. I'd hate for you to get bored! I guess I want the story to get exciting as quickly as possible.

= * = * =

Chapter 5: Fearful

Rook sat down at a table and started eating some of his soup. He dipped the large piece of bread into the soup and then bit down on the loaf. It was somewhat satisfying. Rook’s mouth seemed to be still a little numb from the capsule he took last night. Rook sighed, looking around the other tables. Flek and Karbo were out on patrol duty. Sawk was the one guarding the food hall at this moment in time.

Henk walked up to Rook. “Hi, how are you?” Rook smiled, “Still a bit tired from last night, any news?” Henk nodded, “Yep. Seems like the Slashers have a new leader. Bera.” Rook raised an eyebrow, “Bera?” Henk smiled, “Yep. He’s an odd one too. Besides his initial conviction, he hasn’t done anything which would add time to his sentence. He’s like a mascot or something.”

Rook placed a hand on his chin, it isn’t usual for the Slashers to recruit such a decent individual to be their leader. Perhaps a sign that the times were changing, or times were harder than before. Rook looked at Henk, “Is Scraper still out to get me?” Henk nodded, “He is. Remember last time when someone he knew gave you a black eye? Well he’s still trying to get back at you. Of course, Flek and me would never let anything like that happen.” Rook smiled, “But you can’t guard me all day long. I do appreciate it though.”

Henk chuckled, “No problem. I think we’ll be promoted to red cap sometime in the near future. Times are changing eh?” Rook laughed, “So are we!”

But not all changes are for the better.

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-08-2009, 01:39 PM
enchilado
I don't even know!

enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

Wow! This is great, mate.
12-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Good chapter

12-08-2009, 03:30 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

I'll wait for Oddey to comment before continuing. Thanks for the comments!

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

That's okay

12-09-2009, 07:20 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Chapter 6: Good Tidings

After lunch, Rook was ready to be sent back on patrol. He was guarding another one of the cell blocks in the Western Quarter. Rook looked at the LCD board in the corner. He was surprised to notice that he didn’t have to squint to read it. He took a few steps back, which was when the LCD display became unreadable. “That’s odd.”

In the next few days, news of more Dark Wings being captured were spread among the Hunters. Flek was eager to hear how the hunting was progressing. Rook proceeded to inform Flek about all the activity. “We captured three this morning, along with a further two in the afternoon.” Flek smiled, “Combine that with the five you got yesterday, that makes for ten in total. I think we’re finally getting this Dark Wing situation under control again.”

Rook nodded, he looked at his feet before continuing, “Flek… What exactly causes more Dark Wings to be made, why the sudden increase in numbers?” Flek shrugged, “Hard to say. Some say it’s due to the lowering temperatures, forcing them to leave their caves and head for warmer areas… Others say it’s down to the seasons themselves.” Rook shivered, “Speaking of lowering temperatures, I think the radiator on 2B has gone down again. I’d better go fix it.” Flek nodded, “Okay, keep safe.” Rook nodded and walked down the corridor.

Rook felt strange. Was it just the lack of warmth which was making him feel this way?

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

So much for waiting, but no big deal. Somebody quote this if I ever say "big deal" again after this post.

It seems Rook is in for a bit of trouble... Maybe he'll escape some of them. I really don't feel compelled to say anything else.

:

12-09-2009, 09:26 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

What does everyone think of the story so far? Is there anything you could single out as being weak or in need of improvement?

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Hmm, I can't really pick out any weak spots in it.
Good chapter

12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Despite how good I can be at nit-picking, I'm having trouble finding even an un-fair weak spot...

:

12-09-2009, 11:10 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

I know I've posted a lot in such a short time, but this story is really important to me. It's developed extremely fast and I'm willing to share it with the world. If you like, you can take it in turns and just comment on the last two-three chapters if that would be better.

Thanks again for the support. I accidently deleted Chapter 8 from my computer, so I'll have to rewrite it. The quality should be a little better than before.

= * = * =

Chapter 7: Hearth

A few days after Rook fixed the generator, he went on night patrol again. He didn’t find any Dark Wings. For once this was a good sign, for it meant that their numbers were finally under control again. The long hours seemed to take their toll on Rook, physically. Rook’s skin was looking a bit off-colour. Rook felt that his teeth had been affected by the capsule. Perhaps it was some kind of side-effect to the antidote?

The more he thought about it, the more he felt uneasy. He took a drink from his flask, hoping to quench his thirst and occupy his mind. He heard a noise behind him. Rook turned and saw one of Scraper’s spies. Instinctively, Rook grabbed the throat of the spy. “So, Scraper’s got Mudokons working for him as well has he?” The Mudokon gulped. “Get the heck out of my sight before I whack ya one.” Rook threw the Mudokon further than he could have imagined. As the Mudokon ran away, Rook began to question his own actions. Why had he snapped again like that? It wasn’t just fear of Scraper and his gang…

Rook placed his two hands on his head. His hands felt colder than usual, the lack of heat in the surrounding area perhaps. He was having a pretty bad day and none of this was helping. He needed to get some sleep.

[B]
floofyderg.live

Last edited by AlexFili; 12-09-2009 at 11:13 AM..
12-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

How exactly did you end up deleting chapter 8? Maybe you can recover it?

Well, sometimes a story can be very fun to write, other times exhausting, but the rewards are so great, it's worth it. When it's fun, you end up writing it so fast, which isn't a bad thing.

Actually I just noticed how well you portrayed Rook as a more cranky slig, when he had the anger surge. I think this has potential to be one of your better fan-fics with this alter-ego thing, and you'll have to forgive me if I'm not using the word alter-ego right, as I've only seen it once.

Please carry on.

:

12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

An Alter-Ego would be more like Clark Kent / Superman I think. Rook's personality has changed recently. You'll probably find out why soon enough. I accidently saved over it, so I can't bring it back. I'll just do a re-write, no worries.

I'll leave the next chapter til tomorrow.

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Good chapter
I'm not really a critic to be honest, so I don't really pick out the errors and weaknesses. I just read it and say "Good chapter"

12-09-2009, 02:58 PM
enchilado
I don't even know!

Good chapter.
12-10-2009, 12:28 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Chapter 8: Isolation

He was walking past the generator again, when he noticed an open door. He opened the door and then climbed the metal staircase nearby. The staircase led him to the rooftops. Rook had never seen this part of the prison before and he was stunned by the nearby forest’s natural beauty. He listened out for the wild Oddworld birds and the Paramites nearby. “I wish I could sleep out here tonight.” Rook saw a wooden cabin nearby, it appeared to be empty. Looking inside, he saw that it would be a great place to sleep. He closed the door and lay down on the old mattress.

The next morning he awoke earlier than normal, it was about six in the morning. Rook spent the time watching the wildlife. He admired the bravery of the animals, struggling to fight back against the industrial menaces.

A few hours later, it was morning. Rook had a large breakfast, feeling very satisfied with himself. After a hard days work, he walked up to the rooftops once more. He admired the beauty of nature, before falling asleep once more in the cabin. When he woke, he found a few discarded posters on the roof. Rook collected them and placed them inside the cabin on the floor in one pile.

But for what purpose?

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

A bed for his pet of course!

: