Shrink
Formerly Esus

: Dec 2002
: x
: 286
Shrink  (10)
Forum Games

I wonder...

Well, as you can see, I have recently started the Mafia game in the OT forum. Normally, Mafia games are a lot of fun, but I was wondering on what people thought of other ideas:

(European) Risk
Knowledge of board game Risk rules useful. I have a lot of resources for this, including maps and psd files for such an occasion. (The map looks awesome). It would be very different to board game risk, as every player starts with a country that was around in 1900 (Britain, the Ottomans, France, etc). Another change would be moving across seas - you need to build 'fleets'. Also, because this is a unique game, I would make various events happen than happened in real life. Arabia revolt against Turkey? heheh, just wait and see.
A lot of these 'events' would create entirely new nations, thus requiring the need to signed up Reserves, who would take those nations when they were available.
I would love to do this, because I know it would be a lot of fun, once you're all aware of the rules. Unfortunately, it requires 9-10 active participants - and that is just the start. A number of reserves are requried to be new nations when created. (Players who die can take up a reserve nation, of course).

Feel free to suggest different forum games. Naturally, there are always Mafia games, often with different themes. Unfortunately, again, these really require 12+ people to actively play.
10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

Typically i think forum games are pathetic and stupid (see Corrupt Wishes thread), but your kind of game is what we should be having, something that is intewresting, something that requires more than a few ounces of thought. So just make more forum games like that and I will Kudos bless you.

10-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Shrink
Formerly Esus

: Dec 2002
: x
: 286
Shrink  (10)

Just because I can't resist, here is the European map that would be used. It is based on 1900 Europe, and I hope you all can see it is quite accurate.
I used the medieval: total war map, but have spent way too many hours doing borders, names and suchlike.

There is a separate map which labels each and every province (modern city names, such as 'Dresden'. The seprate map also shows how many armies you receive each 'placement' turn to place down. For example, some territories may give you 0.25 armies per turn, whilst others give 2, or 1, etc.
The countries on that map are the most major players at the beginning of 1900:
Red=Britain, Blue=France, Green=Germany, Yellow=Spain, Purple=Italy, Pink=Austria-Hungary, Light Blue=Greece, Orange=Ottomans/Turkey, Maroon=Russia.
The areas with no coloured borders are neutral countries, which make no moves and only defend.

The yellow circles with black borders are ports. If you control the province of the Port, you can build navies at the port (the port's Ocean) with your 'army points' which you can use on either armies or navies each and every term. The whole point of fleets are to control the seas. If you have an enemy ship in the Ocean you are in, you automatically fight each other. Having navies in seas 'activates' the white lines, so you can move armies across seas as the white lines detail.

Yeah, the game will probably never happen here though.
10-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: England
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

Hmm, sounds ultra cool. I must admit, I have no idea of the rules of Risk, but I think I'd enjoy it once I learnt it. If this was started, I'd join up. These intelligent forum games are much better than the simple post ones that Used mentioned.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

11-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

I think it sounds cool