does anyone play freelancer

does anyone play freelancer if you do please come on wireplay uk server
02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

You've already made a topic like this, and it resulted in un fathomable flaming.

No, I do not, and will not play freelancer.

02-21-2006, 02:31 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

Yeah, I do occasionally drag it out. I messed around with it a lot (made my own mods) as well as played around with other's mods. Namely the Victors mod.

Problem is:

1. The fanbase has died and now, basically, nobody cares about it.
2. The game is really underdeveloped, in that it doesn't have a whole lot to do (trading and fighting, and niether are very sohpisticated).
3. As a result of the above 2 points, Eve has superceded freelancer in all areas save for the fun ship-combat which kills some time at lan parties.

The upsides are that it's easily modified and messed about with, and that it's graphically attractive. The atmospheres, sounds, etc. are very good. Overall the game is a great basis for a whole new game, using the basic engine and game programme but changing various aspects.

Sadly there is a lack of interest in it which means that there's not enough people on the scene to make such big mods/new games using the engine very likely.

Last edited by Dino; 02-21-2006 at 02:35 AM..
02-21-2006, 04:23 AM
Godlesswanderer
Naked & Pimping

: Dec 2004
: Essex, England
: 1,183
Godlesswanderer  (22)

I have a demo but apart from that, I don't play it. I did want to get it a couple months ago but I completely forgot about it. Until now...

02-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
I have a demo but apart from that, I don't play it. I did want to get it a couple months ago but I completely forgot about it. Until now...
It's not really worth you getting. I know you already play Eve and that should tick all your space-game boxes. It's one of those games that you only own because you thought it might've been good, and have only kept it because it's occasionally fun with a group of 3 or 4 people on multiplayer.

The single player is the one thing that's supposedly really good about Freelancer, but to be honest it's really linear, so linear in fact that it's like playing a book, in that the outcome and all the actions are set, it just requires you to pull them off. Pretty dull if you're used to the "make your own adventure" style MMORPGs.
02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2005
: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
It's not really worth you getting. I know you already play Eve and that should tick all your space-game boxes.
No, No, No.
Learn To Play. Eve doesn't tick all boxes. It doesn't tick the cool aliens box, Does it?
Freelancer is good and has quite a nice lifetime. You can be a Pirate. Hunt them. Missions. Do nothing. Etc...
So, Yeah.
And i'll probably get "You can do the same in Eve." But its not the same.
Check and Mate.

02-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
No, No, No.
Learn To Play. Eve doesn't tick all boxes. It doesn't tick the cool aliens box, Does it?
Freelancer is good and has quite a nice lifetime. You can be a Pirate. Hunt them. Missions. Do nothing. Etc...
So, Yeah.
And i'll probably get "You can do the same in Eve." But its not the same.
Check and Mate.
I own both games, and play both games, so you don't need to talk to me like I haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is that Freelancer is shite compared to Eve. So it's not really worth you going out and buying Freelancer when you already have a game that you can play instead that doesn't suck anywhere near as much.

Sure, if someone gives you the game for free/knockdown price, then take it. It's cool in many ways, but it's also utter shite in many other ways. Worth owning, but not worth paying anything more than £5 for.

Personally I use it to test out starship models and their associated textures in a gaming environment, as it looks pretty and the light effects are nice. It also has reasonably good physics, plus it's easy to add new models. I'm planning on modifying it one day to make a whole new game, but that may be a way away.
02-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

my cousin has it, but i find it b.b.b...boring.ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I don't like it