07-02-2003, 02:26 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Wired Muds in Space! What?

Strange idea but have you ever thought that one day the inhabitants of Oddworld might become so advance and go into space?

Interesting idea but I am not so sure if its oddworldish enough at the moment. How could an idea like that become Oddworldish?

Like you have this really advance industrial culture of glukkons that does their work in space on these massive old clunky space stations or in these real vast mineing facilities that are below all of those moon surfaces. they are mineing the moons of Oddworld for minerals and to get rid of that Mudokin hand print. Just another way to get back at the Mudokins. These highly advanced glukkons hires Mudokin Scrubs maybe from the big cities of Oddworld to go out in these strange looking suits to clean the ship and do the mineing in the mineing facilities. And of course it just so happens the Mudokins in this culture have no idea of what their proud and ancient lagacy was and that they are mineing the very moon that Abe's hand print is on. I don't know its sounds warped to be Oddworld but for some reason I always thought of something like that. And knowing that the cultures of Oddworld are so deverse from primative to advance with the Vykkers whoes to say that can be an idea for something on the other side of Oddworld? Its big enough. Give your ideas about this. Its strange but I don't know. But basically what it comes down to does OWI have room to do something really wacked out for some kind Oddworld space Oddysse that involves the moons of Oddworld and a really strange culture of beings if you don't see Glukkons and Muds being in space? Maybe something really humerous, disturbing and strange.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-02-2003 at 06:36 AM..
07-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I think it was generally decided a while back that Oddworld is fantasy, definitely not science fiction. Lasers, rocket ships and several other things, we decided, would just be wrong for Oddworld. But thinking about it, technology must keep progressing, so maybe we will see Mudokons, Glukkons, Vykkers and Sligs in space - it would have to be done extremely carefully, though. Remember that Glukkons only really like the indoors, so they couldn't be in space vessels with windows. I can almost imagine a Glukkon space vessel, big and cumbersome, very dark and messy, with Sligs in some kind of uniform at the helm and oily Mudokons being forced to drive machinery of some kind. I'm not sure though - certainly not in the Quintology, I'd say.
07-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Max, Oddworld is both, fantasy at the Natives side and Science Fiction at the Industrial side... well I think so

but Industrials in space? well, not directly please, not in the quintology ,but please lets stay on Oddworld now

anyway I can allready imagine some industrial forces go to the printed moons to change their aspects and turn them to their adventage... but in fact they don't realy care about the moons I think

07-02-2003, 04:29 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

I can see Vykkers in space as oppose to Glukkons. At least they seem to be the type of race you could imagine in space. After all their technolgy resembols Flying saucers in many aspects.

Paramiteabe...

07-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

: Dec 2001
: Port Orchard, Washington
: 3,506
Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)

considering how obsessed with oddworld you are, I was surprised you over looked the fact that mudokons are simple, nature loving, primitive beings.

I doubt they could even comprehend the idea of space travel, let alone see any practical uses for it.

More importantly, how exactly would a rocket scientist mudokon come about?

Come on now.

I could see vykkers launching muds into space in the same fashion we did with chimps, though.

Buy my T-shirts. People will like you more and I will hate you less.

07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

DI, we are not talking about mudokons buiding rockets... but about some industrial species who would...

07-02-2003, 07:58 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Finally, someone who mentioned this! I've always thought that a level in space would be good, but not a whole game in space. I thought maybe Abe would have to board a space station that was doing experiments on one of the moons. I dunno. I know that someday I'm going to work for OWI and I totally think that a space level finale would do Oddworld great!

07-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

:
Originally posted by oddguy
I dunno. I know that someday I'm going to work for OWI and I totally think that a space level finale would do Oddworld great!

ow yeah... how original a level in space, help we are surronded by the sonic/mario syndrome

07-02-2003, 11:13 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I'm going to ignore that. But having an oddworld level in space could open up new doors. I mean, who wants all of the same?

07-03-2003, 02:35 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Well I had to mention it because the concept been on my mind for awhile so I had to get it off my chest. Anyway you ever think there could be a race that lives in space over Oddworld? Like a new race we haven't been introduced to yet? Maybe more machine like as oppose to biological, like shrienks or something new but lives aboard these real large pieces of junk or space stations.

I mean if OWI can get awey with makeing a half gorilla half horse one bad ass type creature named Steef and then throw barn yard mudokin looking chickens in Oddworld then why not have some wacked out side adventure going on in orbit or on the moons above Oddworld dealing with a real messed up race?

Comeon this is Oddworld we are talking about here! There is suppose to be tons of surprises that amazes us. Space does open an interesting Oddworld plot if done right and I mean right of course.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-02-2003 at 06:45 PM..
07-03-2003, 02:44 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I totaly agree with you paramiteabe! Remember everyone, this is oddworld. I'm not afraid that Steef is going to be like a regular shooter, cus oddworld is odd, and they have their own style to things. Space wouldn't be bad, if you think of it like every other space game then I see why you guys shudder when we talk about it. But this is oddworld, they can totaly add their own style to space, and do a great job in the process. But I'm jumping ahead of myself, Steef hasn't even come out yet. So all I can do is cross my fingers and wait for the best!

07-03-2003, 03:12 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Like Oddguy said OWI can make their own version of space.

I understand how the idea of space doesn't look good with Oddworld. And thats true Oddworld and the classic space adventure does not work. But this is Oddworld it would be really different and it won't be your typical classic space adventure.

It would be something disturbing but yet beautiful in the sense of conceaving the idea. Eye candy pretty much. See the problem I think is that we are afraid to explore different plots and fronters for Oddworld. We want to stick with the saveing your race scenero and being at the bottom of the food chain. When Oddworld is so much more than that. Space and Oddworld can work if one its done right and two if it consist of things that otherwise you could not imagine existing in space or on Oddworld.

That would make it original.

07-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

well my point is:

Okay for a level in space, but:
1) not before we explore more then the 3/4 of Oddworld (I know that's much)
2) not with our regular herous (I DON'T want to see Abe in space )
3) and not in the quintology if possible
4) and it would be great if OWI can give us an other vision of space that the one we allready know

Last edited by Xavier; 07-03-2003 at 12:12 AM..
07-03-2003, 02:32 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Well yea Xav your absolutely correct. I too don't want to see Abe and the heroes of the quintology have to go into space. I am talking about another seris of games like the Habitales. It would be something away from the quintology and it too would explore once again the bizarre reality of space life above Oddworld. And it will completely have new types of inhabitants that we have never seen before. But of course we need to explore Oddworld first then when we do that, we can move into space. But I totally agree with you mann.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-03-2003 at 06:39 AM..
07-03-2003, 04:39 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)
Happy It could work...

It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch for vykkers trying to figure out how to get into outer space. They like heights and maybe the whole glukkon-mudokon moon deal could play a part in their curiosity. Plus, they like enflicting pain and outer space could give them a lot of new options and "research" conditions for new "expirements".

But no Star Trek stuff. That would suck goats. Maybe a little early rocket flights or something, but nothing too futuristic.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

07-04-2003, 02:04 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

OWI can do space right, but I too don't want too see any, "Beam me up Scotty," stuff either. We do need to explore more Oddworld before we go into space though. I agree wit ya all on dis.