Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)
HTML Stylesheets. Yes or No?

I'm wondering what people think of HTML stylesheets. Oddworld-Web currently uses a very basic stylesheet to control the link colors. But I'm noticing that more and more sites are now using stylesheets to control the fonts, table colors, etc.

I'm considering changing Oddworld-Web over so that the fonts are controlled by stylesheets. This way if I ever want to make modificatons to the fonts or green link and sub-headers theme I can easily to so without having to change every single page of the site.

I have already changed the home page to use stylesheets for the main fonts and divider sections. http://www.oddworld.au.com/home.htm

The only thing I am concerned about is that users of older browsers may not support the stylesheets and would see my site as being ugly with the "default font" and large 12 point font. Or am I being concerned about nothing with this seeing that most people who are Oddworld fans should have IE4 or later. Does anyone know how Netscape handles stylesheets?

Do you think I should change my site over or not?

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

10-10-2002, 07:39 AM
ethan
Thudslug

: Jun 2002
: Hawai'i, Kaua'i ,Anahola, Pilipoli place
: 152
ethan  (10)
Happy hi

yeah i think that you should go for it.

Ethan

Last edited by ethan; 10-09-2002 at 11:44 PM..
10-10-2002, 06:21 PM
munchman
Clakker Relic Miner

: Dec 2001
: Unknown
: 886
munchman  (10)

what ever you think Abe Babe...............i am use to changes.........

10-10-2002, 08:51 PM
Miss Odd
Bola Blast

: Apr 2002
: Australia
: 403
Miss Odd  (10)

Ahh... So thats how they do it . Is Style Sheets like CCS...? I use them to make some of my new layout work..

~Miss Odd Serenity

P.S Oh yeah the question..! If it makes it easier for you.. then go for it! Most people will have newer versions of IE...

.::[Oddworld Online]::.

10-10-2002, 09:06 PM
ZombieX
Boombat

: May 2002
: n
: 217
ZombieX  (39)

Never worry about older browsers. The users can update, and anyway who here has an ancient browser? If their browser is that old they probably don't come to forums anyway.

Okay! Enough on browsers.

Yeah, CSS rocks.
10-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I think you should, and by the sounds of it your going to be using external style sheets, which does make it a lot easy. The only down side I've encountered was that sometimes it can slow down things, but that depends on the file size, and if your computer is VERY old *cough*my crappy old thing*cough*

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

10-13-2002, 12:14 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Can't you use both somehow? I've never heard of a stylesheet before, though, so don't trust me with it. I'd better look at your Source Code.

10-15-2002, 02:42 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

I think I'll do it, as it's already partly using external stylesheets. Thanks for all the feedback everyone who responded.

The only concern now is what Alcar says about slowing things down, as I wouldn't want my site getting too slow. But the stylesheet I'm using is only going to be very small and just control the fonts and the dividers between sections. I have seen some of the stylesheets that some business sites use, and they are very large and complex. They are likely the ones that slow things down.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!