07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Biggy Bro Slig
Clakker Store Clerk

: Jun 2003
: Monsaic Lines
: 759
Biggy Bro Slig  (24)
Wired Strangers oddysee

Im not thinking big about steefs oddysee I meen It's just more characters coming in but i'm fine with munch + abe do you know what I mean ??

Last edited by Biggy Bro Slig; 12-20-2004 at 01:06 AM..
07-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Uh..this is in the wrong place, and there is allready a topic about what you are talking about.
07-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

I don't quite understand what your getting at....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

07-12-2003, 03:33 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Well, Oddworld is all about change, and Lorne just wanted to give Munch and Abe a break, so he could progress further into the quintology.

And yes, I believe we have enough threads about Steef, but I'm gonna be nice since biggy bro slig is a noob. I used to be one too! By the way, have a great time on the forums biggy bro slig!

07-12-2003, 03:58 AM
Biggy Bro Slig
Clakker Store Clerk

: Monsaic Lines
: 759
Biggy Bro Slig  (24)
Happy steefs odysee

odd guy I have put you on my buddy list thanks
07-12-2003, 07:21 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

anyway the next game isn't called Steef's Oddysee
have a great time here

07-12-2003, 02:51 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)
Re: steefs odysee

:
Originally posted by biggy bro slig
odd guy I have put you on my buddy list thanks
No problamo!

07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

i'm confused beyond rashionable doubt, what are you talking about...what are you getting at?!
im confused.....

anyway, glad to see new blood (to suck )

07-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
Oddworld is all about change
Oddworld is not 'all about' change - it's about being the guardian angel of the wipmy guys with no weapons. It's also about highlighting problems in our own society. Oddworld 4 doesn't appear to be either of these.

I think what you mean is 'Oddworld 4 is a break from the norm' owtte, no?

07-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

:
I think what you mean is 'Oddworld 4 is a break from the norm' owtte, no?
Exactly. Yeah, steef looks cool, and Im sure the game will be great. Although I still prefer playing as abe, munch, and any of the underdogs. That was the original concept, unlikely heroes, and thats what I like best.
07-17-2003, 02:13 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

Oddworld is doing this because after all the Abe and Munch concept needs to take a rest. I mean saveing races protecting envoriments is getting a little old don't you think?

Steef is going to be about pushing your character or playing your character in the story at the sametime with gameplay which will be the story aswell. Unlike before, you had CG where it told the story. Then you had the gameplay which by its self never told the story. Now the big thing with Steef will be that not only in CG but also in the gameplay you will be controling your story and its effects in the world. Thats awesome because that opens a new relm of realisem in games. I mean Wow they cross the line between movies and games with Steef because now as you play it, you will feel like being in a movie and you will be like "thats my character and thats my movie I am controling this guy in and that I am the guardian angel of!" ya know? That is amazeing and Lorne Lanning is definitly going to use that style of gameing for the rest of his quintology and of course its going to get more amazeing as time goes on. The realisem in these games are starting to cross the line batween movies and games and thats whats awesome.

Steef won't be another Munch because OWI has realised the problem they had in the past. And they are not working on the game that way. I believe that everybody on here thinks that Steef will be like Munch again, and that is not true. Oddworld does not want to be known for the games that produce the wimpy heros. Then again thats whats odd about it. But the idea of playing a fish like character needs a rest and its getting a rest. But we will come back to it and the same technology thats going into Steef will be going into the quintology games aswell.

Anyway welcome to the forums and Stay Odd!

Paramiteabe...

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-17-2003 at 06:25 AM..
07-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

PA...

Your second paragraph is pointless. You're just repeating what the X-Factor video told us, often word for word. Then you talk about the style of gaming, when you, nor anyone else here, knows what this style of gaming actually is.

:
Oddworld does not want to be known for the games that produce the wimpy heros.
Unfortunately, that's what made Oddworld in the first place. True storytelling, ambitious graphics, GameSpeak, a living world, unique and odd designs, morals in the story are all associated with the Oddworld games, but unfortunately for Lorne, the underpowered hero practically sets Oddworld aside from any other gaming experience. It remains to be seen whether this Steef can capture my, or other Oddworld fans', imagination as much as unarmed, wimpy characters such as Abe and Munch who have to use logic, cunning, stealth and trickery rather than might and firepower.

07-18-2003, 02:16 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Yea I know I quoted it because I did it on purpose to remind everyone that the next game will not be another Munch. I never played this style of gameing before thats true, but we all know that Steef will be a game as the first in crossing games with movies Lorne even said that. I know I have blind faith or what ever you call it ya know, But its understandable. I am a very optimistic person and thus far it hasn't let me down yet. I am excited for the new game I am not jumping off the wall or anything but I am excited for it.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-17-2003 at 06:36 PM..
07-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

:
the first in crossing games with movies
But...there are already movies in games. And there are already games with movie quality to them. I don't understand exactly what Lorne means. I just hope it's not exactly the sort of over-hype OWI are trying to avoid.

07-18-2003, 04:32 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Yes all games have movies in them as CG but I understand what he is talking about. Its about the stories of the games. What he ment was that in the game play it will be a movie in its self that you control. Do you understand? Before it was CG that told the story then the gameplay which like Lorne said "never told the story," now he is trying to combine both CG and gameplay to make the expierence be like being in a movie that you can control. I know its confuseing but bare with me on that because they have the technology to pull something like that off and that is the X-Box.

Basically what it comes down to is that Lanning wants us to expierence Steef's story through the gameplay like we would through CG. In Munch you never had that you had the CG and then in the game which was very seperate. Basically makeing our own movies in the game. You will still have the CG story but now here is the exciteing part we get to make our own story out of Steef in the gameplay itself. Isn't that intresting? Games have never done that. They have come close but it was always CG and Gamplay. Now its CG in Gameplay in which you can control.
Now that brings a whole new light on things if you think about it.

Why is that so hard to understand here? All he is doing combining gamplay with CG story telling thats all. Its definitly a different move on his part but a very creative, and mad move none the less which makes it rather stand out among games. Thats original!

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-18-2003 at 09:09 AM..
07-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

:
Why is that so hard to understand here?
Because it's so very vague. There is story in gameplay already. I never really understood what Lorne meant by there wasn't story. I see plenty of story. Abe and Munch, having broken into Splinterz, traverse the Boiler Room by picking up Sligs and using the crane to move them to some place they cannot attack you or raise the alarms. Having got the attention of all the Mudokons in the area, they progress to the area immediately surrounding the Junior Executive's office, which is guarded by... see, that's a story. Two separate Designer Diaries by Paul O'Connor actually outline how they make the levels so that they tell a story. True it's not as interesting as the CG bits, and all that can happen is limited to your control pad and the programmed responces of the characters in the level, but it's a story nonetheless.

Another way I see it is that there are pauses in the gameplay to tell bits of story using the actual game engine. I've always hated this, but since that doesn't actually involve gameplay I think we're safe there.

It could be that we can control the story by doing different things in the game, making the game engine select a different future for us, but that's just a step up from the Quarma principle of past games, plus doesn't actually tell a story.

I really don't understand what Lorne means, in specific terms. Integrating story and gameplay is highly vague at best, and to be honest you're not making it any clearer, although I commend your efforts. I'm just going to wait for official info, because I don't believe anyone here truely knows what the game's going to be like to play, which is all that matters.

07-18-2003, 05:30 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

If this is any help, Lanning is makeing Steef be like what Munch was originally suppose to be thats all I was going on about.

07-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Well, Munch was originally intended to be a complete oddworld sim. Meaning the world was controlled by the player, the actions of the player effected the world. I doubt thats what Steef will be about. Plus the reason munch didnt tell story in gameplay, was because the cg didnt connect a lot with the levels, the gameplay was not closely story related.

Example: you would just get a newspaper after getting warped out of a level, and not really see how munch and abe traveled to the next level, you just warped there. There exceptions like the big well, scene and a few others, but not many.

If I recall, Lorne said that AO and AE told story in both gameplay and cg. Example: when Abe is first escaping rupture farms, and is rolling out the sidet to get to the stockyards, you actually see where the gameplay level transitions to cg, to the next segment. Same for the beginning cg, and also the moon scene. As well as the cg in AE.

Munch didnt due to the rush for meeting of deadlines, conflicts with code, anything else we dont know either, etc. Now, until we know exactly what the direction of OW4 is going with (we are basing everything off out of date information right now) we cant really say how the game will play or work. For all we know, they could be going back to the original concept of ME, the problem is we just dont know right now.