Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

12-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)
I got harassed by a hobo, and the law won!

Whee, yes tis true. On tuesday I was hanging around in town with a group of other emo fags, and this hobo came up to us and said "can you spare any change"... and it being my policy not to give money to people I don't know (because I give to charities, not directly to hobos as you never know what they're going to spend it on) I declined him and said I didn't have anything. But he kept asking and asking, and he wouldn't go away. He claimed his legs were giving in, then he claimed that he was dying, that he had cancer, and that all he needed was ten pence. I thought to myself "how the hell does 10 pence cure cancer? what the hell is he going to buy with that? or is he just going to ask the next group and the next group until he has enough to buy some alcohol?".

At this point I just said "look mate you're not going to play the sympathy card with me, we've told you we haven't got any money and we haven't, so please move on or I'll get the police over here". His response was "go on then, go get them, they'll take me to the hospital, and then you'll know whether or not it's the truth". BIG MISTAKE SHITHEAD.

I went and found some cops, told them about how he was harassing us, they came and spoke to him. Even after that he still asked us for change, so I just told him "look, we don't have any, we got the police to remove you from us because you kept harassing us, go away"... one of the cops who was still standing around heard all this and came to arrest him. HE IS NOW SPENDING THE NIGHT IN A CELL!

I win. You do not harass the Dino, especially for money, and get away with it.

Discuss:
How refreshing it is that there are police around who do something about these thieves.
How we need more people to be less sympathetic toward hobos like this guy, who blatantly lie and harass in an attempt to get money off of people.
How these drunken assholes give honest hobos a bad name, and take help and food that is more desperately needed by other (real) tramps.
12-14-2005, 02:59 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

You need the police to deal with a hobo? What happend to throwing them infront of a train?

Or... no wait. Police is indeed a good idea.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

12-14-2005, 03:04 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

We could steal their hearts so that needy people will survive deases and stuff..But umm, i prefer not to give out money to hoboes, as i don't know what they are gonna spend them on.
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

12-14-2005, 04:37 AM
Cullen Heath
The Oddworld Bazaar

: Oct 2005
: .
: 1,983
Cullen Heath  (6)
Happy

Way to go Dino! If I had no idea what the dude would have spent it on, I wouldnt have given him anything either.

12-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

I only give hobos money if they do cool tricks. Way to stand up for your rights or something!

12-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Way to go Dino! If I had no idea what the dude would have spent it on, I wouldnt have given him anything either.
Yeah.

Some of them you just know they're genuine... you look at them and their clothes are falling apart, their beard is long, they look worn and tired. The first thing I do is give them some spare change and direct them to the nearest charitable organisation that can help them.

But some of them, you look at them and just know that they aren't for real. They just don't look like homeless people who're in need of help.
12-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2005
: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
At this point I just said "look mate you're not going to play the sympathy card with me, we've told you we haven't got any money and we haven't, so please move on or I'll get the police over here". His response was "go on then, go get them, they'll take me to the hospital, and then you'll know whether or not it's the truth". BIG MISTAKE SHITHEAD.

I went and found some cops, told them about how he was harassing us, they came and spoke to him. Even after that he still asked us for change, so I just told him "look, we don't have any, we got the police to remove you from us because you kept harassing us, go away"... one of the cops who was still standing around heard all this and came to arrest him. HE IS NOW SPENDING THE NIGHT IN A CELL!
Maybe he did that to spend a night in a cell, And get fed...
But seriously, Hobo's are annoying. Like the ones in London... I havn't actually seen any Hobo's in London for a long time.

12-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

So you enjoyed our encounter then?

Didn't you leave like ages ago? Twat.

Anyway before you accuse me of being a hypocrite, Rich pointed me in the direction of a thread of interest. So again i find the defendent H0b0wnd
12-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
So you enjoyed our encounter then?

Didn't you leave like ages ago? Twat.

Anyway before you accuse me of being a hypocrite, Rich pointed me in the direction of a thread of interest. So again i find the defendent H0b0wnd
Rich pointing out a thread with "hobo" in the title makes it unhypocritical for you to come back and call me a twat because I'm still here? hurhurhurhur. You're such an idiot. Your joke was utter stilton, your insult was unphasing, and your logic (or lack thereof) did all the comebacks for me.

I thought you left because this place was boring. I'd say someone who has enough time on their hands to post in a thread because it's got a word in it that matches their username probably doesn't have an interesting enough life to be calling this forum "boring".

There you go hobo, I've given you plenty of things for you to refute with your usual maestrom of "hobosuperior" rhetoric. Lets see if you've got the strength of character to resist such a golden opportunity to defend your ego, and prove to us all that you've risen above this place.
12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

'twas the death penalty thread that I pointed him at actually.

12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
'twas the death penalty thread that I pointed him at actually.
Oh smooth.

Go hobo.
12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

Heh, I was just talking about homeless people this morning after finals with two friends. Basically, I guess I may be a bit too compassionate when it comes to homeless people. I don't care how they got there, if they're real or not, what they're going to spend the money on, etc. The only thing that matters to me is that there's a starving person before my eyes and that I'm fortunate enough to have money to spare. I mean, I'd buy them a sandwich before I'd give direct money to them... Actually, depending on the situation (if they look really bad off), I'd give them both. If they spend it on alcohol, that's their choice. I can't really blame them... They're poor, feel hopeless... They probably just want to drown themselves with alcohol for bit to escape their cruel existence.

I've surprisingly never had a chance to do this though. I've past hobos on the sides of the roads when I'm with people in cars, but I can't ask whoever is driving me to pull over so I can give some strange person money. However, once I was with my mother at McDonalds. As we walked in, we past two homeless men digging through the trash. I felt such respect for them for not begging for money and being a bit creative--One found a used cup and came in to casually feel it up like a re-fill. The other couldn't find a cup, so his buddy shared with him.

It absolutely broke my heart to see these two men--All they had was each other. When one died, who else would care? Where do they sleep when it's cold out while I'm all warm in my bed? What would they eat that day when I'm at my grandmother's--everyone stuffing their faces with all the food my mom was buying? I begged her to let me get them some food or even give them mine, but she refused. To make up for this, she claimed she'd work at a soup kitchen one day... Heh, speaking of hypocrits...

12-14-2005, 01:35 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

:
Rich pointing out a thread with "hobo" in the title makes it unhypocritical for you to come back and call me a twat because I'm still here? hurhurhurhur. You're such an idiot. Your joke was utter stilton, your insult was unphasing, and your logic (or lack thereof) did all the comebacks for me.

I thought you left because this place was boring. I'd say someone who has enough time on their hands to post in a thread because it's got a word in it that matches their username probably doesn't have an interesting enough life to be calling this forum "boring".

There you go hobo, I've given you plenty of things for you to refute with your usual maestrom of "hobosuperior" rhetoric. Lets see if you've got the strength of character to resist such a golden opportunity to defend your ego, and prove to us all that you've risen above this place.
It's times like these that makes me feel allw arm and cozy.

As for homelesses. Beware of the venom of their first bite.

12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

I have an Ambiesque view on hoboism.

Although I'm all for Dinoism, if people were at a point in which they had to beg to even get 10 p, I just think that's sad is all.

Agh, cannae explain, should've sent a poet.

12-14-2005, 02:11 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

It's so effing hilarious that some people are afraid that if they give a hobo money, he will spend it on booze. I mean, do they really expect the guy to have the ability to turn his life around with a couple bucks?

Food doesn't come cheap either, so if you want him to buy a sandwhich with your change, that's all he'll be able to afford. Besides, there are places all over that supply the homeless with meals, and let's not forget all of the tasty morsels supplied by your local dumpster.

Alcohol can at least give the pathetic individual a little joy in life, and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Cullen Heath
The Oddworld Bazaar

Cullen Heath  (6)
Happy

Yeah well if nobody DID think that, they wouoldnt be able to change thier lives because everyone would constantly be giving them money for drugs and alcohol.

12-14-2005, 02:33 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

Well aren't you little miss optimistic...
12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
It's so effing hilarious that some people are afraid that if they give a hobo money, he will spend it on booze. I mean, do they really expect the guy to have the ability to turn his life around with a couple bucks?

Food doesn't come cheap either, so if you want him to buy a sandwhich with your change, that's all he'll be able to afford. Besides, there are places all over that supply the homeless with meals, and let's not forget all of the tasty morsels supplied by your local dumpster.

Alcohol can at least give the pathetic individual a little joy in life, and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.
There are places they can go to get a free meal. If they choose not to do that, then it's their loss. I put my money into these charities so that they can survive, and quite frankly I think it would be stupid to give money directly to homeless people who are quite clearly capable of walking to the homeless shelter just so that they can eat a sandwich.

I don't agree with alcohol or homeless people making their situation worse with it. Many people have become homeless as a result of alcohol, so in my eyes the humane thing to do is anything that will help them stay away from the stuff.
12-14-2005, 02:54 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

:
I put my money into these charities so that they can survive
How old are you again?
12-14-2005, 03:55 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

The problem with homeless shelters are they can only stay there for a short time. Usually it's a single night. The most I think I've heard of is 3 days. But yeah, one night with one meal every so often just isn't enough to get by. It helps, as do people giving them money and buying them food, but it seems like there are so few permanent solutions. There needs to be more places set up to help them get back on their feet.

12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

I met a really nice beggar today. I did the "I don't have any change thing" - mainly because I couldn't be bothered getting my wallet out of my backpack. He just responded with "That's okay. Have a nice day and a happy holidays". I thought that was so nice I almost took my wallet out then to give him some but I realised that would prove me a liar.

12-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Cullen Heath
The Oddworld Bazaar

Cullen Heath  (6)
Happy

Wow thats cool, he does sound friendly!

I once had a hobo living in my house. You see my mom had some stuff to do. She had to build a deck and bassilcly remodel the back. My mom knew someone who knew him and they said he was a good worker, so my mom hired him, gave him a home meals every day and stuff. He was a total alcoholic so he screwed up the deck and my mom wanted to tell him that he had to leave. I refused. I wouldnt let him leave for I had grown close to him after he ahd been living with us for quite somtime. He was a great guy too. So eventually he moved out because he refused to take up the "quit drinking" lessons my mom offered to pay for. The last thing I heard fom him was: "Hey that guy looks like me! He looks like just a big lonley cowboy that nobody really knows about"(we were playing Stranger's Wrath that morning and he was reffering to Stranger) Then I left for school and never talked to him again, though sometimes Ill be driving and Ill see him walking along.

12-17-2005, 08:18 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Yeah, there have been a couple times I've helped the homeless. One time I was out of town somewhere, on the road, and I stopped at the nearest food establishment. Two people were outside McDonalds with a little sign simply reading "any food you can spare." Well, I had just gotten a 2 for $2 something and a salad. I gave them one of my sandwiches and the croutons from my salad. They were happy and very appreciate.

My stance on helping homeless is this..you have good intentions in giving them money. What they do later is on their conscience...not yours.

...And you're all going to love this link.

http://freegan.info/

-oddguy

12-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Yeah, there have been a couple times I've helped the homeless. One time I was out of town somewhere, on the road, and I stopped at the nearest food establishment. Two people were outside McDonalds with a little sign simply reading "any food you can spare." Well, I had just gotten a 2 for $2 something and a salad. I gave them one of my sandwiches and the croutons from my salad. They were happy and very appreciate.

My stance on helping homeless is this..you have good intentions in giving them money. What they do later is on their conscience...not yours.

...And you're all going to love this link.

http://freegan.info/

-oddguy
That's just plain annoying.

All these vegan people basically want is for us to go live in 6 billion mud huts and eat only leaves. They need to accept that in order for humans to progress, the industry that feeds that progression must be there, and the only way to make it cleaner is to work WITH it rather than against it.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, so shush.
12-19-2005, 07:10 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
And it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, so shush.
Sure it does. Those vegans are like hobos on steroids.

12-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Icarus
Howler Punk

: Dec 2005
: On the other side
: 333
Icarus  (10)

:
I only give hobos money if they do cool tricks. Way to stand up for your rights or something!
Cruel bastard,(Just a joke,CHILL) but seriously, some people feel disgusted of them, all they want is some money. maybe a quarter will do and they will f@#$ off. People Don't be cheap, one word that might kill you or help you if you know how to use it.....KARMA!!!
12-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Kamille
Spark Stunk

: Sep 2005
: New Jersey
: 356
Kamille  (10)

the thing about hobos is they would probaly trick me into giving them all my money, one time in NY my friends and I were looking for a resturant and this hobo showed us to a burger king, then he was like now you know I have to eat to there pathetic but you reallydon't know there story
01-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Sure it does. Those vegans are like hobos on steroids.
Looking back on what I said about them living in mud huts in the woods, I retract my statement and would like to agree with Ambi.