01-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Shinjara
Thudslug

: Jan 2002
: Cumbria, England
: 171
Shinjara  (10)
Scrab Senses.

I know that scrabs has alternate senses but I wonder if they have special ones which no other creature possesses. Maybe i'm jus' being stupid

Shinjara
01-10-2002, 07:49 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Well, I haven't found any eyes on the scrabs. I wonder how they see...
01-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Steve
Super Stingbee

: 456
Steve  (32)

why should they need to see? the sunlight would hurt their eyes and most of their prey probalby have camoflage(sp?).

edit:there is not much in the way of plantlife in scrabania so they could easily pick out smells other than dirt.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Steve ]
01-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I dont know, smell seems like it would be there but maybe they can like sense impacts or have really nice hearing. Or maybe just like some natural power O well, theres only one thing i know for sure and thats your gonna need a bandaid if they attack you.......
01-11-2002, 03:27 AM
Pilot

: Apr 2001
: ▄▀▄▀
: 2,722
Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Scrabs "see" by sensing heat. This is why they appear to have no tangible eyeballs. For example, if a scrab "sees" a meal, what they are really seeing/sensing is an orb of lighter color due to the heat that is being produced by the animal's body. Much as if one were looking through a heat sensitive camera. Much in relation to those creatures in the movie "Tremors 2: Aftershock."

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Pilot ]

01-11-2002, 06:20 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Ah, thank you, Pilot. I've always wondered about that.
01-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Niteowl
Fuzzle

: 135
Niteowl  (10)

I thought the flat area on the front of the scrab's head to be photosensitive somehow...enough for the invisibility power to work...if it zeroed in on heat, whether Abe was invisible or not wouldn't make any difference.
They're fighting animals and maybe the lack of specialized eyes takes care of the vulnerability that most other animals have of being incapacitated by being poked in the eye.

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Niteowl ]
01-12-2002, 03:32 AM
oddguy 999
Thudslug

: 182
oddguy 999  (10)

Hey Pilot, that idea about Scrabs seeing heat is only a theory... And so is this ... Scrabs see with sonnar like a dolphin- Thus the large flat area on their heads and thats why the are always cherping before they atack- So they get a ecko off their pray... But thats only my idea.

But we must remember that OWI have said that just because we can not see the eyes of a animals it dosn't mean they dont have them... That why I would like to ask if anyone else has noticed that on the Scrab Meat Chart resorse/poster thing from AO if they saw a blured word that looks a lot like the word EYE with a arrow pointing just behind the mouth to a circle? ...
If it is then Scrabs do have eyes- Just at the back of their mouths...
01-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

1. If Pilot says it, it probably isn't a theory. OWI told him lots of secrets during his visit...

2. The Invisibility spell presumably works by making Abe let Electromagnetic Radiation pass through his body instead of being reflected. This presumably includes Infrared, so that is why Scrabs can't see Abe when he's invisible.

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

01-13-2002, 12:37 AM
oddguy 999
Thudslug

: 182
oddguy 999  (10)

Hey Rettick,
But Pilot referd to it as being a lot like some creatures on some movie he saw. I took this as meaning that it was a conection or thought that he had made and not OWI (it was still very good)... Im sorry if I jumped in too soon and it was offical. But who says you have to accualy KNOW the answer to have a opinion? And that apllies to Pilot also... OWI may have told him lots of secret stuff but that dosen't mean they filled him in on the workings of the Scrabs sight also (They actualy may of, I dont know)... Dose it mean that now he can't talk about anything he may or may not know about Oddworld because now he has to always be right about everything Oddworldish he says. And if he is wrong by chance he is just spreeding lies (Their all lies I say!)? And if he is right is he is bracking the sacrid bond of trust between OWI and fan by repeating secrets in a public domain (The shame of it all!)?...

Now think about that... Or just ask Pilot if it is offical...

Also by the time OWI accualy dose release the info on how Scrabs 'see' to everyone they may have changed their ideas to better ones (don't say it can't be done because it has been done before).

I would also like to piont out that heat and infer red radiation are to slightly different things... You still need eyes to see anything even if you see in infer red- which is just like normal light exept it is longer in wave lenghth and therefore cares a higher level of energy, and therefore makes surfaces heat up quicker then normal light. This also mean that hotter sufaces produce more infer red radiation then cooler ones, Thats why warm blooded animals standout from the cooler background. So even if electromagnetic radiation went through Abe he would still produce his own infer red radiation... Besides your discription of invisibility is yet anuther theory (admited by your self by 'presumably')... Ask Pilot for the real answer if you want to know...

P.S. Snakes use the kind of sence the Pilot discribed of Scrabs.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: oddguy 999 ]
01-13-2002, 02:24 AM
Pilot

: ▄▀▄▀
: 2,722
Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*The info I received was official as of the time of my visit, but you are correct by saying that their designs may change. I simply compared the scrabs' sense of vision to that of something which people might be able to relate it to of they don't understand what I'm talking about; hence the movie reference.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspEdit: The invisibility thing is something I am not exactly sure about, so I'm sorry to say that I an unable to answer it.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Pilot ]

01-13-2002, 05:39 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

I'm almost sure that the word "echolocation" was used before in an official OWI interview, to describe one of the scrab senses. Echolocation is something like bats or dolphins sonar, in which usually high-pitched sounds are emitted and their echoes interpreted to determine the direction and distance of objects.