04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

: Mar 2006
: pootown
: 248
Slig_Cake  (10)
Australian Football League talk

All those aussies out there that watch the best game in the competition join this thread. First topic I'll obviously start off with is, who's goin to win the premiership. It's never easy to tell after round 3 but here's my thoughts.

Adelaide: I highly rate this team, but I'm not sure that they have the depth needed to win a flag.

Brisbane: No chance and I'm happy I can finally say that.

Carlton: Under rated. They have some very good players in the squad with the likes of Waite, Koutifides and Lappin. They have a good coach with a good head on his shoulders and another couple of years down the bottom should see them with a good list for the future. The question is, can they afford to stay down the bottom with their debt?

Collingwood: Over rated. What does everyone see in this team? They finished 14th in 2005 yet the bookies have racked them up at $21 for the flag - one of the highest (even more than the reigning premiers sydney i think). Sure they have a few good players, but are a world away from a top 4 side.

Essendon: No chance. Few positives though. Got rid of the garbage in 2005 (well most but not all ((henneman))). A very overlooked youngster list.

Fremantle: I like this side but dont rate the coach. He's an idiot. Even his own players are against him. Drop him and promote Harvey. Teams will fear to play the dockers when Harvey teaches them to be tough.

Geelong: Last year I tipped them to go all the way in 2006. It's kind of annoying how everyone then jumped on their bandwagon after the first 2 rounds. A loss to Hawthorn though has me very puzzled about where they are at. I think they're probaly missing a forward or someone like a James Hird or Nathan Buckley to complete the team.

Hawthorn: I've always thought they're under rated. Now they beat geelong, everyones jumped on to their bandwagon...

Kangaroos: Their critics say they havn't earnt a lot of respect yet but I think they have. They're becoming more feared each year and can roll just about any club. I like the way they play too. Old school one on one hammering with big sav in full forward. Just like 10 years ago.

Melbourne: No heart. Neitz is a tosser. He should step down from captaincy for the sake of the club.

Port Adelaide: No chance.

Richmond: Under rated. Seriously here's a good bet. The tigers won't win the premiership but 8-1 for them to make the 8? Sounds like good odds to me. They are a better team than everyone thinks.

St. Kilda: Super squad of players but...Grant Thomas is a tosser. Get rid of him and his rotating captaincy bullshit. Who is it this year again? Oh yeh Luke Ball, that young kid that had to talk about his mum and dad about being captain. Please. Just give it to Hamill or Harvey and leave it at that.

Sydney: Last years grand final win was a joke and everyone knows it. I can't help but like them though. They do have a talented list. Everyone criticises their game play but if it wins you a flag, then that's all that matters.

West Coast: No forward options but I think they're good enough in the midfiled anyway.

Western Bulldogs: After their 115 point demolishing over Richmond, some bloke put 500 bucks on the dogs for the wooden spoon. Not a bad idea when you think about it. They're young and have no height. Yes they're fast, and free flowing, but when you play at Telstra dome every second or third week, there is no way your legs are going to last a whole season on that rock hard surface.

Who do I think is going to win it? Possibly either Geelong, West Coast or St. Kilda.

(Growing a mullet in support of the Socceroos)

Last edited by Slig_Cake; 04-17-2006 at 12:22 AM..
04-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Wolfpac
Hoodie Patrol

: May 2001
: Take a Seat!
: 800
Wolfpac  (11)

You gave Essendon no chance... Booooo. We will win it all my friend. Well maybe not, but I think that we will make the 8. Lloyd being out for a few weeks will hurt us but I guess we will have to see what happens.

The Doggies look very impressive but with anyone over 6"4 getting injured, they may be in a bit of trouble. But I think Geelong will win the Premiership this year. Even after the bad loss to the Hawks.

04-17-2006, 01:23 AM
oddveteran93
Rabid Fuzzle

: Jan 2006
: Melbourne
: 516
oddveteran93  (23)

I know absolutely nothing about AFL yet I live in Melbourne. How incredibly strange.

04-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

:
You gave Essendon no chance... Booooo. We will win it all my friend. Well maybe not, but I think that we will make the 8. Lloyd being out for a few weeks will hurt us but I guess we will have to see what happens.

The Doggies look very impressive but with anyone over 6"4 getting injured, they may be in a bit of trouble. But I think Geelong will win the Premiership this year. Even after the bad loss to the Hawks.
lol well if I had any bias involved I would've picked essendon because they're my team too . I don't think Lloyd being out is going to worry us too much. I really can't see our team winning consistently at this stage of the season anyway.

I was at the essendon dogs match yesterday and although I was pretty wasted I can sum up what happened. Essendon did well to put the pressure on them in the first half but we decided to run off our man like we always do, and they just broke free and killed us in the third quarter. But you notice the dogs started to wear out in that last quarter? Another 5 minutes and we would have won.

Don't get me wrong I think we're a great side and we should make the 8.

04-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

I'm a Collingwood supporter. I went to the game today. It was a thrashing against North Melbourne. Although I aren't really someone who knows the ins and outs of teams and players ... including my own. I just like to watch the sport. So hopefully my team will go good this year.

:
I know absolutely nothing about AFL yet I live in Melbourne. How incredibly strange.
It's not really that strange. Even though you're in a football-mad state, I've come across a lot of gaming fans who aren't interested in the sport. Although I'm basing it more-so on the anime conventions I attend, as anime fans aren't really big football fans [or even sport fans] in general. But of course there's always going to be exceptions, but I just don't find it too strange that a gamer wouldn't know anything about it.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

lol i saw that match right after i posted collingwood being over rated. But I stand by that and hope to see Essendon beat them next week

04-18-2006, 03:58 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

Whoa, I'm in a completely different world here.
first of all, Im not from Australia, so There is already where I'm at a loss, but also since I'm American, I usually think Football as the American version

Silly Americans
Football or Soccer?
*slaps self*

04-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

an American footballer once watched a grand final of AFL and said something like:

"this game is too rough for me"

04-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Wolfpac
Hoodie Patrol

Wolfpac  (11)

Lloyd being out for 5 weeks was bad. Being out for the season is a major loss. Any captain being out for the year can hurt teams. Look at the Doggies last year. When Darcy went out they went down hill. They only found form at the end of the season. Hopefully someone like Courtney Johns can step up. He has the potential, but just hasn't shown us his full form yet.

04-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

courtney johns lol. I'm not sure if that bloke even exists! He seems like a made up person.
"who have we got coming in?"
"yeh we have courtney johns comin back from a hip/ankle/knee injury".
Same answer every week. But if he's good as I've heard he should fill lloyds spot nicely.

When lloyd comes back, I'd prefer to see Lucas at full forward and Lloyd at centre half. I think Lloyds a lot more mobile than lucas who can't turn on his left side, and Lucas has done well for us at full forward and it takes pressure off our captain and allows him to control play more.

Anyway who do you think should be captain? Maybe Hird will be again although Lucas and Fletcher are in the mix. I'd like to see Jason Johnson personally. He's a hard nut and I would rate him as a leader.

04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Wolfpac
Hoodie Patrol

Wolfpac  (11)

I hope it doesn't continue, but the problem at Essendon seems to be that we don't have many players who can step up every week. We don't have that team that will perform the same 2 weeks in a row. Apart from someone like Fletcher, we don't have consistent performers. Coming off a 5 day break I don't know what we will be like against the Hawks.

I really think Hird should be made captain. I never wanted him to lose it in the first place. I thought that Lloyd should have been made Captain, but only after Hird retired. I rather Hird than a rotation.

The 91,000 crowd on ANZAC Day was good. Good to see Football returning to the MCG.

04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

Too bad about the result though.

Havn't relaly been keepin up with the papers this week but I've heard from a friend that Hird did his hammy at training this week. If so I'm not sure who'll be captain.

Sure we're coming off a 5 day break but we're still capable of beating the Hawks. I'm not saying we will tho...