Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Oddworld RPG

09-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)
How to Role Play

Hey guys!
It has occured to me that some people are put off Roleplaying by the fact that They do not know how to do it, so I'm creating this thread to teach you how, please will any other seasoned RP'ers add their own tips in a reply.... Or if you have any questions or would like me to elaborate, please reply aswell......

Lesson 1: Applying for your character:

The first thing you'll want to do in an RP is create your character, and there are a couple of things you'll want to remember:

1. Make them original, or a character that you've created previously for example Matthew from Club Slig is also in All Locked Up In Mudos Prison.

Don't make your chacter boring Like this:

Name: Dave
Species: Slig
Dislikes: Being Hurt
Anything Else: Is tall

Make it fun an interesting like this:

Name: Davey
Species: Slig Popper
Likes: Causing extreme pain to those less fortunate than Him, also has a love for books and windsurfing
Dislikes: Pain being caused to him, especially if it is from someone weaker than him.
Anything Else: Davey Is extremely Tall, he is 7 ft tall, which gives him a great advantage in combat, he has a large scar across his chest, this is great with the Ladies

2. If someone has a character template, like I will make in all of my RPG's, please stick to it, they want it like that for a reason.

3. On the other hand if they don't have one, and you're forced to make your own up, i'd generally stick to the one I used for Dave and Davey up there, and add to it any other catogries you think would be usefull, but don't go over the top!

4. Make them reasonable, if other people have players with downfalls don't make yours a one man army who is immune to bullets, bombs and fire....

Coming Soon... Lesson 2: How to write descriptions and Speech......

Last edited by Hobo; 09-18-2003 at 04:17 AM..
09-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

YAY! time for Lesson 2 already!

Lesson Two: Writing for Description and Speech

Right, you've got your lovely charcter Davey all set for his RPG in the big bad world. Now you'll want to set the scene for the introduction of Davey, it is much better to start with a description than it is to start with speech: For Example:

The leaves blew past the dusty saloon. Inside were some of the rowdiest Sligs, you'd ever meet, there was a dark figure in the corner, a ray of light off another Slig's watch briefly illuminated his face, this one slig was one of the most feared in the whole of Mudos, his name.. Davey. He stood up and walked over to the Bar

Ok, it doesn't have to be totally like that, but your first paragraph must be descriptive, otherwise it looks a bit of a mess.....

When you want to write Speech, the way that i use is probably the simplest, I'll show you:

[Enter Descriptive text here]
[Miss a line to seperate description and Speech]
[Character's Name]:*[ If needed: Who they are speaking too,and how they are speaking]*[Speech]

So in practice...

this one slig was one of the most feared in the whole of Mudos, his name.. Davey.He stood up and walked over to the Bar

Davey:* Shouting at a passing waiter* Hey you there! Where's my Booze I ordered it an Hour ago!

Waiter:*Quietly and Timidly* Sorry Sir, I'll get right on it......

see?

There are loads of ways for speech but i recomend this one as it's the clearest and simplest. Once you become good at it you'll develop your own style. I just stuck with that, as it fits the job just fine...

Try to make your description as detailed as possible, but don't make it droan on, too much description and not enough action and nothing will ever happen, which would make RP'ing Extremely Dull, and we wouldn't like that would we?

Next Time: Lesson Three: What should I make my own RP about?

Last edited by Hobo; 09-18-2003 at 07:37 AM..
09-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Hey a third lesson in a day, I might get this finished within a week!

Lesson Three: What Should I Make My RP About?

Well, I hear you cry, I've played in a million RP's I think it's about time i mad emy own RP where I make the rules! But I don't know what to make it about

Well, first of all, never rip off another Active RPG, that'll just end you up in hot water with me or who ever it is who runs the place where you RP. It Must be original, it is obvious to spot a rip-off and in this RPG forum they get closed.....

Second of all if you're stuck, base it around a real life place like in a night club or in a prison. It's perfectly alright to make up the story a little, for example in a lot of my stories All the great races have made peace, though i highly doubt this'll happen in the quintology, in many of my stories it has happened....

If you still can't think of any ideas PM me I'm sure we can come up with something together

Appearing in this Space soon : Lesson Four: Why won't People Join my RP (Short lesson)
09-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Another day Another Lesson..

Lesson Four: Why won't People Join my RP?

Ok so you've got your RPG set up, you've made a character template. Why won't anyone join?, I hear you crying.

First things first, maybe no-one's noticed it, and that's likely to happen here because we have such a small RPG fanbase, and very few dedicated people.

Second, Have you got a backstory or set the scene, without this, people won't know what the hell they're doing, make it interesting and original, not the same old, you're in a factory do what the head gluk says....

Thirdly, Join your own RPG! pleas eby all means join your own RPG, this will encourage others too join. but please do not make your character way better than the others, as i said before don't make him a 10 ton BBS with six blitzpackers and a tank on his back.

Finally, maybe someone's already done your idea for your RPG before your time. It's not your fault if you don't see it, I don't expect you to read every thread from the RPG forum, It's blatent ripping off of anothers thread i object too....

Next lesson: Lesson Five, What should my character do next?
09-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Once again it's time for your favorite teacher....

Lesson Five: What Should My Character do Next?

So you've got a nice little RPG running, a few members, Davey is doing quite well for himself, but suddenly *BLANK* you do know what to do next.

Well first off, never do anything repetitive, even if it's in character, it will soon get very dull and boring and possibly kill off the RPG.

Second, make it unexpected, RPG'ing Is story telling, and any good stories have twists, so twist your RPG. If something looks like it's going one way, change the direction of the RP to somewhere else.

Third, think it through, don't do anything badly thought out that leaves a dead end for that will kill of the RPG.

Ok, that was a quick lesson, tune in next time for:

Lesson Six: Someone's spoiling my RPG.
09-25-2003, 10:25 PM
vyyker2
Zappfly

: Aug 2003
: usa kansas withita
: 13
vyyker2  (10)

i can't wait for lesson 6
10-11-2003, 12:36 PM
ABEZILLA

: Sep 2003
: monsterland
: 3
ABEZILLA  (10)

IM not going to make the work at rapture farms rpg a mess so im studying here yay soon i will be a pro at this (gets out a lot of paper a starts writeing down all the lessons) when i s lesson 6 coming i must study how to role play
10-12-2003, 04:11 PM
The Red Muse
Clakker Store Clerk

: Oct 2002
: I really can't remember.
: 798
The Red Muse  (10)

:
Originally posted by ABEZILLA
IM not going to make the work at rapture farms rpg a mess so im studying here yay soon i will be a pro at this (gets out a lot of paper a starts writeing down all the lessons) when i s lesson 6 coming i must study how to role play
*pats Abezilla on the back*

Good boy.

Man---should I refresh my RP skill too...?

...nah...

10-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

:O Such cheek Muse, why I should... *trails off*

Lesson Six: Someone's Spoiling my RPG

Ok, you've got a lovely RPG going, lots of members, lots of plot and story going on, but then somone joins and all they post is:

"and den de slllig runns inntoo thhe shhoop annd shoootss every1ss headses off"

Therefore spoiling the whole RPG, well first off, direct them to this thread, if nothing improves, PM them and politly ask them to leave the RPG, or play properly. If all else fails PM me, and I'll give them a warning..

Next time:

Lesson Seven: ( I have no idea what to do next, any suggestions?)
10-13-2003, 04:23 PM
The Red Muse
Clakker Store Clerk

: Oct 2002
: I really can't remember.
: 798
The Red Muse  (10)

:
Originally posted by hobo
:O Such cheek Muse, why I should... *trails off*
*stares at Hobo, wide-eyed*

...*squeeek*...

...What did I do now...?

[::der Muse ist stressed::]

:
Lesson Seven: ( I have no idea what to do next, any suggestions?)
I actually did have this great idea a while a go, but I forgot it... I'll inform you when I remember it...

...or something...

Last edited by The Red Muse; 10-13-2003 at 08:25 AM..
11-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Abe-gun
Thudslug

: Dec 2001
: Orlando (moved from britian)
: 193
Abe-gun  (10)

Maybe How To End Your RPG?