01-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)
Book Review Thread

This is for book reviews, obviously. I'm just wondering what books people here have read recently and what they thought of. I'll start it with a review of Alan Colmes book Red, White, and Liberal
Alan Colmes writes a pretty good book that
that would have been great if he'd grown some balls. Alan Colmes, the simpering but well-informed and intelligent foil to the blustering and arrogant blowhard Sean Hannity, recently wrote a book called Red, White, and Liberal. While the statistics and arguments are sound and the use of e-mails to show how insane most conservatives are at times are effective, I felt this book to be much too apologetic. He apologizes for pissing of elite rightists and being
a man who was against the Vietnam war. Don't apologize over it, brag about it! I also felt his defense of Faux News was weak and unneeded. Alan, we all get it, Faux News thinks its "fair and balanced" because it employs a couple of leftists. That doesn't mean it isn't unfair and unbalanced, a perfect example of propaganda machine and Republican spin zone. I also think that the real reason Colmes seems so pandering is because he HAS TOO be pandering. FAux News wouldn't take to a blistering, fact studded polemic, the kind he could of delivered if he was freelance. I think he could really tear the G.O.P. a new asshole if he was given half the chance. Instead, he has to hold back, which can be good and bad. While not going off the deep end like some overheated writers for the Republican Party, Colmes seems sane and level-headed, but bland at times. Sometimes i thought to myself "Goddamn, Colmes! Rage! Put your fist in the air and just let loose!" I give the content a 4.5(-.5 for the needless shill chapter for his network) and a 3.0 for the manner in which it was presented. Either way, its a decent book and its well worth your time to read it. It's also much better than the yellow journalism the Hannity spewed in his book Let Freedom Ring.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
munchman
Clakker Relic Miner

: Dec 2001
: Unknown
: 886
munchman  (10)

I just got done reading Flowers For Algernon. If you see this book laying around, pick it up, dust it off, and read it. Trust me you will like it.
The book is about a guy named Charly that is not that smart. They use him in a experement that makes him smarter and much more independent. The book has lots of interesting things in it that will make you want to read the next page. If your looking for a book to read check this one out.