12-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Foxtrot Wolfwhistle
Stunk

: Dec 2010
: UK
: 45
Foxtrot Wolfwhistle  (10)
Welcome to Ancras (Working title)

I don't have an actual plot so bear with me. This is a sci-fi set in future Earth, specifically England.

Overview:
Humans live in complete darkness away from the harsh world in the light. They have formed colonies underground by venturing to the surface at night to collect materials and supplies.

Most surface-dwelling animals have died, so humans have cultivated and domesticated burrowing creatures such as rabbits, badgers, foxes and moles. Some nocturnal creatures have also survived the calamity and are carefully hunted during the night.

Humans:
The Human appearence has changed considerably from their once surface-dwelling ancestors - the vast majority have paler skin, hair and eyes from lack of sunlight. They are shorter too; ranging between four and five feet high, although colonies tend to be taller if they live near the surface.

Nocturnal walkers/cave dwellers are more bold than their deep-mine cousins because they risk heading to the surface during the night to hunt and collect materials. In contrast, deep-mine colonies are superstitous and reclusive, expressing grave mistrust to anyone who claims that they have walked the surface.

Due to the lack of accomodation homosexuality is encouraged in society. Children are limited to two per family (two pairs of same-sex couples) or one per heterosexual pair. Same sex couples will pair up purely to procreate and return to their own partners once a child is conceived. Often, the male and female homosexual couples will live in one dwelling so that there is no disagreement on the custody of their children.

When somebody dies, a funeral is held before the body is reprocessed and recycled into water and other minerals. This is to create as little waste as possible in a world where resources are thin on the ground.

Science:
Although technology is advanced, it has suffered considerably from the calamity which ruined a significant amount of documentation and equipment. Scientists were forced to focus on terraforming the underground environment and researching the effects of daylight, so they have been unable to resolve the problem of fixing or evacuating the planet.

It is common knowledge that daylight is now unbearable to humans. The government has warned that the glass particles in the atmosphere make the otherwise hazy light intense and will instantly burn any stragglers alive. Deep-mine dwellers have took this warning further and claim that what actually occured was an alien invasion which destroyed the moon, then they landed on Earth to claim it as their new home. The aliens (Known as the Keepers of Sol) are said to hunt or abduct any humans which step into the light, never to be seen again.

Of course, scientists and nocturnal-walkers scoff at this theory which has been proved wrong time and again. However, the Deep-mine Dwellers are set in their ways, which has caused a tense rift between the two cultures.

History:
In [year] a calamity shook the world with such force it drove people to live underground like rats. An undetected asteroid struck the moon in such a way that it shattered into shards of rock and thick dust, killing millions and throwing the world into chaos. The world leaders quickly took action and, despite losing their initial option to escape the planet, came up with a plan to evacuate the population into underground tunnels and caves.

Life under the surface was highly dangerous at first with many succumbing to the intense heat or being killed in gas explosions and tunnel collapses. Eventually a standard regulation was devised to make cave contruction much safer and easier for everyone. Poorer families worked in the mines, digging deeper and deeper into what would be their new home, whereas the rich and powerful generally remained nearer to the surface which was still far safer. Night-time expeditions were constantly run to salvage any useable materials from the ruins on the surface. These were used to illuminate and cool down the underground cities as well as providing water and oxygen to the colonies below.

However, power sources soon became scarce with solar energy rendered useless by the thick, dusky atmosphere and tidal energy halting to a mere ripple after the moon was destroyed. This caused a severe ration on resources, rendering light all but obsolete and forcing the population to be more resourceful with their new world plunged in darkness. Light still exists of course; the cities are illuminated by bioluminescent fungus. This natural source of light is also cultivated in small biodomes to be used as lanterns and lights.

See, nothing going on at the moment, but I hope my notes are enough to keep you eager!

12-27-2010, 08:58 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

This is an interesting world building exercise! What caused the humans to delve underground though? Oh and surely if there is sufficient technology the scientists could develop low UV suits like in daybreakers?

12-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Foxtrot Wolfwhistle
Stunk

Yes. I'm thinking that suits would be reserved for scavengers and archaeologists. They went underground because of the moon raining down on half the planet. I think that there would be a few biodomes above the surface, but because q lot of the technology was destroyed, they'd be a fairly recent edition. Underground seems like the most obvious shelter when the sky is caving in :B

12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Hulaabeo
Grubb Fisherman

: Jul 2007
: Ontario, Canada.
: 997
Hulaabeo  (225)Hulaabeo  (225)Hulaabeo  (225)

So its costantly raining shrapnel? That must have been quite an explosion. The asteroid must have been atleast the size of the moon...

12-27-2010, 11:58 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Sort of like a fallout style thing minus the 50s nostalgia and the nuclear bombardment.

12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Foxtrot Wolfwhistle
Stunk

No...The moon is shattered by an asteroid which blankets the atmosphere in a thick cloud of dust, ice and glass particles (both from the moon itself and the earth as its surface is torn up). Everyone is evacuated into caves, underground systems and mines to avoid being crushed by the debris and unsteady buildings, drowned from any tidal disruption or frazzled when the sun hits glass particles and amplifies the rays. Because everything is obliterated or structurally unsound, there was no reason to move back to the surface when the shelters underground were much safer. Civilization develops from there.

However, in the story I am only focusing on the UK and possibly Europe. It is possible that places on the other side of the globe like Asia would be relatively sound and live in huge biodomes on the surface. I'm not sure whether to focus on the whole world though, it may prove too much.

12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Good, fucking A that someone is taking sci-fi back to it's British roots! Perhaps there would be warring factions depending on were they are situated for example the humans that live in the mines would have different ideas and ways than those who exist in proximity to the surface in your biomes. I'm actually also writing an allegorical story at the mo that runs of in an alternate history, maybe we could exchange thoughts?

12-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Foxtrot Wolfwhistle
Stunk

Sure thing! By the way, just for a bit of fun, can you guess where the name of the city comes from? (The one in the title)

12-28-2010, 01:55 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

St. Pancreas Station?