10-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Seikyo Jack
Bolamite

: Oct 2009
: Under a rock
: 53
Seikyo Jack  (39)
For A Can Of Cold Tea....

I finally got the 20 post count and Splat's approval for my first RPG thread, so I'm posting it. Took me at least half an hour to get this done so I hope you enjoy it. ^^

---

INTRO

My name is Lump. I'm a simple Mudokon with a big adiction: Tea. I remember hearing about Alf's Rehab and Tea, a place where all the most exotic tesa can be found. Shame, I never had a chance to see it, now that I'm trapped inside a Glukkon's tea factory. Just how did I end up here?

Well, I was walking far from my village, minding my own business. I saw a big building made of metal, guarded by sligs. There were other people making queues at stands, I wondered what this was all about.

"Maybe it's free tea?", I told myself.

I was right. The Glukkons were giving away samples of their newest product: Cold tea in a can. Intrigued, I went and checked the varieties they had.

-C'mon, customers! you can have a free sample of any tea you want!

That was an appetising offer, but I still wasn't sure. I mean, why put tea in a can? Tea must be warm and served in a mug, yet they canned it and made it cold!

-Well, I don't know, do you have warm tea? With sugar, please.

The Glukkon looked puzzled.

-Nah, we don't have warm tea, just cold tea in a convenient can for your travelling pleasure! Have one!

He insisted, seeing as I was hesitating.

-C'mon, have a gulp, you won't regret it! It's so good, it's addictive!

I shrugged, making up my mind.

-Well, okay, but I hope there's sugar in it!

I chugged....and chugged...and chugged... until the can was empty.

-It's not bad, but I don't have any money to buy more.

And then a part of my loincloth moved from the wind caused by my fart.

-Oops.

The Glukkon looked disgusted for a moment but he quickly grinned.

-Well, you know, you look like a mud that can do lotsa things, eh. With these strong arms of yours, amirite?

Confused, I shrugged again.

-I can lift rocks.

The Glukkon told a Slig nearby to take care of the stand, while another one followed him.

-I have a proposition for you. We've just started producing teas and we need employees. Good, strong Mudokons like you, you know!

I blushed a little, smiling at the compliment.

-Oh, really?

-Yeah! Look, if you apply and work hard, you'll earn enough Moolah to buy as much as you can chug! Plus, we have privileges for employees, such as discounts and Employee of the Month award, AND you can also have a limited-edition can of Uncle Slag's Cold Tea that comes with a nice set of stickers!

I thought about all this for a second. I could really get as much tea as I wanted without having to prepare it myself? I could always warm it on a fire after buying it, that seemed interesting enough. I could drink tea and not having to brew anything for the rest of my life! Or so I thought.....

-Well, okay, I'll apply.

The Glukkon grinned, with a strange light in his eyes, like he was planning something bad. If I only realised how right I was at the time...

As soon as I entered the factory, I was knocked out by a guard's gun. When I woke up, I saw dark grey metallic walls and I saw strange, purple persons with laboratory equipment. The place was supposed to be a laboratory but I saw it like a prison. The Vykkers were testing strange products on all kinds of creatures, be it Mudokons, Fuzzles, Grubbs...
When not being tested on, people were working as slaves, cleaning the floor and making all the chores. We had little hopes of ever seeing the sunlight again.....
And the worst was that strange door that lead to another facility. The tired and unefficient workers that weren't used as test subjects were sent there....not to come back.....

This is how I ended up as a slave, waiting to be a test subject for a strange product I know nothing about.....
---

Now that the backstory's done, here are how I planned on making all of this work.

First, yeah, the backstory was focusing on my character, Lump. It, of course, doesn't mean the entire RP will be about that tea-addicted Mud. On this RP, you can be basically any intelligent being from the Oddworld Universe, be it a Slig, a Mudokon, a Grubb, etc.....
Glukkons are permitted, as long as you got enough role-playing experience to play them well and you don't try bossing too much around. Uncle Slag, the company's director will be controlled by me as a non-player character, since his involvement will be minimal. You can still be Slag's subordinates for the different departments.

The departments are:

-Laboratories
-Testing Zone
-Slog Pen

That means there can be 3 Glukkons directing a department so if you can make a good story, don't hesitate to make a Glukkon. I know three is not much but we don't need 15 either, so :P.

Also, there will not be any map, as I leave the layout of the laboratories to everyone's imagination. Anyway, it's a lab like any other, you pretty much already know what you're going to see in there: Corridors, lab equipments and slig guards beating up your ass for fun.
Note that there's a section forbidden to anyone who's not a guard or a higher-up. But employees who can't work efficiently anymore are sent there for....nope, you'll have to discover for yourself! ^^

That's pretty much about it for the RP details.
Now, for a few rules.

-The Oddworld Forums' general RP rules apply, be it for the lenght of each post or the way you act. That means avoid short post. there is always something to post, even if there's not much interaction. For example, you can put what you character is thinking and describe the environment you're in a little. If you really can't find anything to ost, I'm not gonna harass you for it though, provided you really tried.

-Please avoid making OOC-only posts, I saw the W@RF thread and saw some people chatting in there, asking whose turn is it and all. I don't want that so please avoid it. If we're waiting for someone, just use PMs.

-NPCs are permitted, as long as they are not used to give yourself an advantage or hinder other people. For exemple, you can decide that slig catches you sneaking around but you can't decide that this same sligs catches someone else sneaking around, unless the player of that other character has no problem with it. The lesser NPCs are used, the better.

That's about it for the rules, they can seem harsh (at least the ones I put that aren't part of the forum's general RPG rules), but I really want a clean thread.

Now, for the characters, use the profile that was included in the general rules. I mean this one:

Name: (Your character's name)
Species: (Slig, mudokon, glukkon, fuzzle and so on)
Age: (How old you character is, some people do it in comparison to a human. You don't have to be precise)
Appearance: (What the character looks like)
Equipment: (What the character carries)
Personality: (likes, dislikes, quirks, what makes the character interesting)
History: (Your character's past)

Make it realistic and justified. For example, don't expect your Mudokon to be carrying a gun around. If he has one, we have to know how and why he got it.
As History can easily be develloped during RP, a 10 lines background is okay, more is encouraged, but as long as it's complete, you don't need to write a novel about your character.

Here's my own character profile as an example.
:
Name: Lump

Species: Mudokon

Appearance: A simple, loin-clothed native mudokon. He always seems to have tea leafs attached at the base of his ponytail, for whatever reason.

Equipment: A loincloth and nothing else.

Personality: Lump is a naive and sometimes lunatic mudokon who loves tea. He loves it so much, in fact, that it practically got him enslaved in a tea brewery. The thing is, he hates having to brew it, but the result is always worth the effort!
His favorite hobbies are: drinking tea, sleeping, walking in the forest to drink tea under a tree and painting mugs for tea.

History:

Lump was born in one of the hundreds of native village of Mudos, on Oddworld. He spended most of his childhood crying and never be happy of what he got. The other Mudokons of the village thought nothing could shut it up and everyone was angry because of the lack of sleep.
But one day, curiosity changed everything. Lump was touching everything he found, like always and eventually got his hand on a mug of tea left there by someone. Being a child, he took the mug and drank....and drank....and drankg.....until the mug was empty. Since that day, he stopped crying and whining. He eventually took tea leafs, that he attached to his ponytails.

He grew up normally, always obsessed by tea. This marvelous drink was always a good reason to slack off from chores or wandering around in the forest to drink tea under the trees. Some mudokons were so annoyed by this obsession of drinking a simple, warm beverage like it's the nectar of the gods that one day, they pranked him by putting Meep dung in his mug, making him angry. Lump decided to watch his tea more closely, ready to slap anyone who would try poisoning him with Meep poo again.

And then, eventually, while wandering around, out of the village, he saw a queue of people waiting in front of a stand, where a friendly-looking Glukkon was giving away.....tea samples.....
and the lunatic, naive Lump went like an idiot and accepted a job at the brewery, just to find himself working as a slave in a laboratory complex until he is used as a product test subject, trying out product that might be dangerous, while trying to find a faint glimpse of hope to ever see the wilderness again.....
This post will be updated with a list of the persons participating as well as the posting orders. If you have questions or suggestions on my thread, don't hesitate to PM me. Enjoy!

---
LIST OF PARTICIPANTS

-Seikyo Jack
10-27-2009, 07:58 AM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

: Mar 2009
: :noiƚɒɔo⅃
: 9,743
MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

I'm sorry, I really hate to be negative what with you being a new member and this being your first project and all, but isn't this a bit similar to W@RF? Belive me, we need some fresh creative input here, but isn't this sort of retreading old ground?

10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Seikyo Jack
Bolamite

Seikyo Jack  (39)

:
I'm sorry, I really hate to be negative what with you being a new member and this being your first project and all, but isn't this a bit similar to W@RF? Belive me, we need some fresh creative input here, but isn't this sort of retreading old ground?
Splat told me it first looked like W@RF, with the factory and all, hence why I changed it to a lab. I got his approval this morning.
10-27-2009, 08:06 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

I have to agree with Meech a bit there. However I admire the fact that you came up with this idea. I'm a bit too busy to join but I'll be sure to check on it every once in a while.

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

10-27-2009, 08:08 AM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

This lab, is it a flying one like the Vvykers'?

10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Seikyo Jack
Bolamite

Seikyo Jack  (39)

No, I rather thought about a complex on the ground but maybe making it a flying lab could mean a more challenging escape.
10-27-2009, 08:24 AM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

I was just thinking along the lines of escaping, which is likely going to be the primary concern of many characters. If it's flying, the characters are trapped for the duration, meaning more roleplay and more drama if they eventually find a way.

10-27-2009, 08:26 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

Flying Sligs could escape.

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

10-27-2009, 08:35 AM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

Not if the gates are shut. Besides, how much fuel is there in their wings? And sligs are on the bad guys' side, anyway.

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 10-27-2009 at 02:37 PM..
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Well we'll see how this goes but in retrospect, opening it exactly the same time as Alex's RPG perhaps wasn't the best choice I've ever made. If it doesn't garner much interest we might close it down and try again in a few months.

10-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Seikyo Jack
Bolamite

Seikyo Jack  (39)

:
Well we'll see how this goes but in retrospect, opening it exactly the same time as Alex's RPG perhaps wasn't the best choice I've ever made. If it doesn't garner much interest we might close it down and try again in a few months.
I guess so. I still hope it'll work, though.

And good point, Meech. By making escaping harder we could make the RP last longer. We'll see if anyone is gonna join, if not, I'll re-post this thread when the Creeper RP is over.
11-18-2009, 10:49 PM
DrMopZodiac
Zappfly

: Nov 2009
: Ragnarok
: 9
DrMopZodiac  (17)
:
Not if the gates are shut. Besides, how much fuel is there in their wings? And sligs are on the bad guys' side, anyway.
Sure, but what if the pesky muds blow up the lab or something? The sligs would want to escape then!

11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
DrMopZodiac
Zappfly

: Nov 2009
: Ragnarok
: 9
DrMopZodiac  (17)

Name: Zodiac
Species: Steef
Appearance: Zodiac seems to be an abandoned genetic experiment. He once was a normal Steef, until Sekto decided to hand him over to the Vykkers for a king's ransom. Therefore, he is cybernetically enhanced, with one half of his body organic, and the other half machinery with a rail gun for an arm.
Equipment: A rail gun implant, a sonar, and steel knuckles
Personality: Zodiac always hides his feelings, however, he'll go to any lengths to do what is right.
History: Zodiac once was one of the weakest Steef warriors. Sekto, therefore was able to capture him easily. As his head was not particularly valued, due to his weakness, Sekto turned Zodiac over to the Vykkers in the tea labs. They installed a sonar and a rail gun, and reserved him as the "Ultimate weapon", in case there was ever a native revolution. However, Zodiac's decided to fight back...

11-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

This RPG is dead; the guy who created it left before it even started.
Check the dates posts were made.