Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)
"Outdoors" Convention

Today I was persuaded to take a look at an outdoors convention being held in the area, but I think Killing Convention would be a more appropriate name. The car park was a spectacle in itself, with cars sporting bumper stickers with slogans such as I Hunt, I Vote and Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People.

The "admit one" stamp was pressed on my arm, I entered the event complex and soon enough could smell the foul odour of a taxidermist's chemicals. Staring at me from every corner were empty plastic eyes that had been slapped into the sockets of once-beautiful animals. Large television sets played grainy footage of slack jawed rubes aiming their rifles at buffalo, deer, bears and even cheetahs. Guns of all sorts lined the presentation desks. I quietly commented to my companion on the posters that depicted a smiling, unshaven man standing triumphantly with his rifle over bloody carcasses. The woman behind the desk, not quite catching my comments, said: "Aren't they fabulous? They're only five dollars. Or would you like this bumper sticker?" she continued, holding up a sticker that said Hunting = Conservation. "Erm, no." I quickly answered.

Every few minutes a woman with an American accent would make an announcement: "Just a reminder that this afternoon there will be fly fishing demonstrations at the lakes." No thanks. The country music station had even planted their van outside, alongside a fenced area containing this giant Pig Dog with her pups, strings of drool oozed from her lips. We felt out of place amongst the crowds of rednecks excitedly moving from one stall to the next, grasping the guns, carressing the knives and stroking the dead animals.

Soon enough we left.

02-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

man, thats sick. hunting for sport is one of the grossest and stupidest things ever thought of. man, i pity you syd....
02-22-2002, 11:14 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

When I first read "outdoors convention" ... I instantly thought of nature and getting away from it all. Perhaps some information on different camping gear, walks one could take, etc.

I felt a feeling of shock once I read what you wrote Sydney. I hate hunting... it is cruel recreation... people who do it must not care at all for animals, if they just want to shoot them for 'sport'. How anyone can do that is beyond me. I know, each to their own, but it's still sick.

I think I would have felt ill if I had been there... I have seen some photos of animals killed for hunting purposes, and they are revolting.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

02-22-2002, 11:19 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

Oh, yuck!

If it was me I'd have gone straight to the exit after seeing the dead things. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Ditto to Kristen, I thought this would be a topic about outdoor activities, not slaughtering.
02-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Robin
Stingbee

: Sep 2001
: 81
Robin  (10)
Re: "Outdoors" Convention

:
Originally posted by Sydney
Today I was persuaded to take a look at an outdoors convention being held in the area, but I think Killing Convention would be a more appropriate name.
Who is this individual that persuaded you to go? I'd like to see a man kill a tiger with his bear hands, man get ripped apart, that's why they use guns to afaird to take the animal one on one.
02-22-2002, 11:50 PM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)
Re: Re: "Outdoors" Convention

:
Originally posted by Robin
1. I'd like to see a man kill a tiger with his bear hands

2. that's why they use guns to afaird to take the animal one on one.
1. Well you're just sick.
*reads Mr.Donut's infamous topic*
So I was right then.

2. Who wants them to take the animal on one-to-one?
02-22-2002, 11:50 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Ugh...hunting for food and such I can understand...but hunting just to see who nets the biggest stag or something to mount on the wall disgusts me...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

02-22-2002, 11:56 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

Sydney  (32)
Re: Re: "Outdoors" Convention

It certainly was a sickening affair. I've spoken to hunters before, they claim I don't know what it's like to hunt. They make it seem like some wonderful experience, running off into the enchanted woods with a group of other men. Bonding. To them it's a magical adventure, but I think it's just bloodlust.
:
Who is this individual that persuaded you to go?
It was just a friend. We didn't really know what to expect, I guess we saw it as more of a freakshow (the hunters being the circus freaks).

02-23-2002, 01:20 AM
Steve
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2001
: 456
Steve  (32)

being a minnesotan there are many people around here that hunt thus I argue with people. one person tried to convinse me that a deer actually stands a chance against against ballistics.
02-23-2002, 02:23 AM
Robin
Stingbee

Robin  (10)
Re: Re: Re: "Outdoors" Convention

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

1. Well you're just sick.
*reads Mr.Donut's infamous topic*
So I was right then.

2. Who wants them to take the animal on one-to-one?
Why i'm i sick? I said those hunters are to scared to take on wild beasts one on one, that's why they use guns, that's why i despise hunters, and please call me Robin i'm no longer Mr.Donut there is a reason i changed my name.
02-23-2002, 02:27 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

gluk, dont start getting mad at robin, or donut, whatever we call him. but y cant you people just forgive anything... i looked up the old otpics, and i really hoep they were a hacker, but just let him talk... without snapping back...
02-23-2002, 04:44 AM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

: Port Orchard, Washington
: 3,506
Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)

well originally being from texas, i'll say this-
The deer there run SO rampant, that if they aren't hunted for the majority of they year, they'll over populate, and there won't be enough vegetation to sustian them all anyway.
I'm not saying i'm a fan of killing animals, but sometimes, it is called for. (hunting expos are a bit 'redneckish', syd, i agree.)

Buy my T-shirts. People will like you more and I will hate you less.

02-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Cool Paramite
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2001
: The Netherlands
: 1,015
Cool Paramite  (28)
Sad

Ugh.....

"Outdoor Convention" doesn't let me think of slaughtering.....

02-23-2002, 11:01 AM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

I thought this topic was about nature and the outdoors but....slaughtering?????? MC NASTY NAST!!!!!!!!!

02-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Outdoors" Convention

:
Why i'm i sick?
:
I'd like to see a man kill a tiger with his bear hands
I'd prefer to see a tiger kill a sport-hunter with its killing bits!

And I called you Mr.Donut then because the 'topic starter' was Mr.Donut according to the search results.
I'll call you Robin when I'm not refering to a thread that was started by Mr.Donut.
02-23-2002, 01:19 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)
Cheetah tastes good, why waste the flesh?

If you shoot a huge animal like a cheatah or elepahant or bison,you should have to use everything. Donate the meat to homeless shelers, elephant ears make great truck bed tarps, economic and exotic. What could be warmer than a nice lion's mane parka, and no one can argue with the blanket making capacities of antelope-like creatures. Rhino stew, nothing warms you up like it, way better than chicken soup for a cold I hear. What I don't like is the "I shot an endangered animal" shit, take that away, go into the jungle to be hard core, not on a little reservation, pansy ass, and bag a tasty and useful animal, yah bastard. If you do that you are either brave crazy or both. As a side note, alwys remember the true hunter's motto"Use the whole animal and track the creature, don't punk it on a reserve land and say you are tough" Wimpy sport hunting bastards need to go in Wisconsin and bag a turkey with a bow. That would impress me more than a cape buffalo head on your mantle piece.
02-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)
Native

Statikk, please tell me your last post was an attempt at morbid humor...

Last edited by Disgruntled Intern; 02-23-2002 at 05:30 AM..
02-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

Sydney  (32)

Disgruntled Intern, knowing Statikk, he was completely serious.
:
Originally posted by Disgruntled Intern
I'm not saying i'm a fan of killing animals, but sometimes, it is called for. (hunting expos are a bit 'redneckish', syd, i agree.)
Remember who caused the deer to be without a niche in the habitat to begin with. Rather than picking at the scab, only to pick it again as it begins to heal, we should be fully cleaning the wound with antiseptic ointments and covering it with some kind of dressing.

I propose we let the deer run rapmant, leaving nature to deal with it. Eventually the deer will be at an equilibrium with the environment. This is too time-consuming as well as chaotic, so perhaps a sterilization program could be introduced? I can see right-wing stone-hearts shaking their fists: "How dare you spend our hard-earned tax dollars on compassionate methods of problem solving!" But they can be ignored.

02-23-2002, 03:20 PM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

in the words of the great JAR JAR BINKS!

"IKY IKY GOO"

02-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Steve
Super Stingbee

: 456
Steve  (32)

sydney has such a poetic way of putting things. I suppose in this topics scabs are a good metaphore.
02-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

Syd, while I can see where your coming from...if the deer aren't killed, they starve to death, and then tax dollars go to a clean up crew sadly enough. From what i understand, the deer problem has existed for around 50 years...i guess what i'm saying is, that if the deer are going to starve to death anyway, why not reap the benefits? sure, it sucks that they have to be killed, but atleast SOME people can benefit from them this way..
It is sad though, when i'm in texas, and easily hear up to 5 gun shots every half hour or so. Especially because a lot of the people just leave the body to rot.

02-23-2002, 06:30 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Tom, Robin said "I'd like to see a hunter kill a tiger with his bare hands" in the same way one might say "I'd like to see you try!"... I.E. he didn't actually want to see them do it...

Statikk, how does using the whole carcass make hunting ethically sound?

Personally, I would only kill an animal to prevent a human being harmed. Exactly the same criteria, incidentally, as my criteria for killing a human... But then you can't be black & white here, and say that "Hunting is Bad" or "Hunting is Good". In almost every situation, deliberately killing any animal (including a human) is bad, but there are exceptions to every rule...

[Sorry, I'm in a rambling mood today, so I went off at a bit of a tangent...]

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

One more point: If humans hadn't killed off all of the natural preditors (ie wolves), the prey animals wouldn't be running rampent.
I would only hunt an animal for food and I would use all of the animal.

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

02-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Robin
Stingbee

Robin  (10)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Outdoors" Convention

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

I'd prefer to see a tiger kill a sport-hunter with its killing bits!

And I called you Mr.Donut then because the 'topic starter' was Mr.Donut according to the search results.
I'll call you Robin when I'm not refering to a thread that was started by Mr.Donut.
Which topic are you talking about? When i replyed to this my name was Robin, Sydney started this one.
02-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

ah yes Dragadon, while your comment may apply elsewhere, the only predator in this certain area of texas are coyotes, and they can't bring down a full grown deer.
It's more of a case of people paving texas and slapping F'ing suburbs every mile or so, leaving the few wild areas rather far and few.

02-23-2002, 10:17 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)
Dead Re: Re: Re: "Outdoors" Convention

:
Originally posted by Sydney
They make it seem like some wonderful experience, running off into the enchanted woods with a group of other men. Bonding. To them it's a magical adventure, but I think it's just bloodlust.
Oh, but Syd, it's a mystical experience! You don't know what it's like to have a slaughtered deer torso mounted right above your computer! It's magic!!!
02-23-2002, 11:29 PM
Tex
Bolamite

: Feb 2002
: North Carolina, USA
: 53
Tex  (10)

Hmmm.....I hope you all don't hate me for saying this, I really love this place, and I surley don't wont to get an argument started here, but.....I hunt. There are always two sides to an argument, and I respect yours. I hope you can respect mine. I am not a big time camouflauged, sent locked (hell, my scent scares 'em away) kind of hunter. I hunt mainly because I love deer meat. Yes, I may have a deer head above my mantel. But where did the body go? Right in the freezer. I have also went on my first rabbit hunt this season, and seeing as I don't really know what to think about having people standing everywhere pointed at a little lightning bolt animal going who know's what direction, I may not go again. As I said, please do not burn me, because this is just my opinion on things.

PS. If you think of me as an Industrialist, think of me as a Glukkon. With a cowboy hat. Dressed in green.

~Tex
02-24-2002, 12:00 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)
Redwallers and hunting

Well, using the whole thing is useful and is better than just killing something and wasting it. Plus, the food tastes very good and is kinda cheap when you think about it. You can rent a gun for a $20 bill or so buy the bullets, and bag a deer. If the deer you bag is over a hundred pounds, you can gut it and get about 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight as food. Even if the prices were 2.50 a pound you'd make a nifty profit. Plus, you can use horns as rattles, keychains,and nifty seasoning dispensers. You can make an industrial strength glue from the hooves, tan the hide and use it as arug and eat the meat in a variety of nutritious and deliscious ways, like stews and steaks. It is lean and good for the heart. The same can be said of turkey, raccons, squirrels etc. tons of tasty and fun used. Has anyone ever partaken of bbq chpmunk? Delish. See, killing the animal is pretty cool for you, food and crafts. Now tally ho and put some food on the table! 100% what I think, not humor. I kill animals. It is fun. It is healthy. The animals have no clue anyway. They die and cannot be used, might as well harvest the stupid ones and use 'em. Apply this to fish too. And if an endangerred animal dies, it wasn't meant to be around for a long time anyway. Get rid of the stragglers on the food chain. Also, people should not try to save animals from going extinct and waste logging land and jobs and whatever some sanctified bundle of flesh is keeping from people, screw the environment unless it starts messing with me back. Mother nature isn't real. Animals are for people's benefit. Think of the meat as free range living produce. Precious creatures whose life I take only for a meal to make(and some righteos other things, too.
02-24-2002, 12:47 AM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

Statikk, your logic (or lack of it rather) has rendered me speechless.
I have never read a paragraph such as yours...and hopefully, no one else here thinks 'killing dumb animals is fun.'
wow. like i said..i'm speechless.

02-24-2002, 02:39 AM
abe22
Sleg

: May 2001
: South/Eastern Victoria, Australia
: 680
abe22  (10)

I know it's your own opinion Statikk but How could you say such things...

"Get rid of the stragglers" No animal is worthless every animal has a role to play in this world.

"And if an endangerred animal dies, it wasn't meant to be around for a long time anyway." BULLSHIT It's humans fault that they die anyway.

"Animals are for people's benefit."
Animals Have been around longer then humans so this proves nothing.

I do not like it when people hunt for sport it's so bull shit. I can understand a native tribe hunting for food but not for sport. Animals take only what they need from the world I wish Humans could do the same.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -- Jack Handy
That stuff only happens in the movies. -- Famous Last Words