Abastor
Zappfly

: Jan 2006
: Israel
: 4
Abastor  (10)
Question Need help with game sounds...

Hey all!
I'm new around here. It's good to see such an active Oddworld community.
Anyway... I'm doing some stuff, a little project of my own, using Oddworld graphics (Oddysee and Exodus). That hasn't been really hard to come by. The link to "TOGG" gave me most of everything I need. The rest I can complete with screenshots.

The main problem is, I also need to use game sounds. And I really have no idea how to get those. As far as recording goes, I have extremely primitive tools, and as far as ripping sounds goes, I haven't the slightest idea how to do it.

Does anyone know where or how I can get those ingame sounds? It would really help me a great deal...
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Hm, well basicly I would say (for the PC version) that all sounds are stored in either a folder or in one big file (.dat, for example used in todays games). I have no idea how OWI stores the ingame sounds though, so I would just search around a bit for files called 'sound' or 'music' or anything like that. Then try renaming the extension of it to .mp3.
I know this works for today's games, as I got a lot of ingame music that way. But it all depends on how OWI stored it.

If that doesn't work, try sending an e-mail to OWI, maybe they are in a good mood and point you in the right direction, or even give you some sounds directly. Never hurts to try, OWI likes fan based stuff and they won't shy away from helping fans whenever they can. They usualy always answer a question personaly, too.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

01-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Try oddworld.com, there have been a few fansite kits that have included various ingame sounds.

01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Adder
Grubb Fisherman

: Oct 2002
: The nearest DDR machine
: 927
Adder  (11)

Some basic sounds can be found on PC version of at least one of the two games as a Desktop Theme.

It mightn't be what you need, but it could help a little.
01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Abastor
Zappfly

: Jan 2006
: Israel
: 4
Abastor  (10)

:
Some basic sounds can be found on PC version of at least one of the two games as a Desktop Theme.

It mightn't be what you need, but it could help a little.
Thanks, but that won't do. I need stuff like the Paramite, Scrab and Slig sounds, and all the desktop theme gives me is a few chosen speeches of Abe and some other sounds with which I can accomplish little if not nothing.

Regarding e-mailing OWI, I just might do that... Thanks for the idea

Committing suicide is just man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"