Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

04-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)
Oddworld Do you invent new Oddworld Races?

I have a sketchbook full of Odd designs. Does anyone else do that?

04-03-2006, 01:49 AM
pongyboy
Stingbee

: UK
: 85
pongyboy  (24)

I do, i like making thing up, like bone structure.
04-03-2006, 01:54 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Bone structure? I only did that once- for a kangaroo like creature called a Rangabie. It was pretty cool. So do you do that for official characters, or your own? I know they do it with all their designs at OWI.

04-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Dancing Steef
Clakker Relic Miner

: Mar 2005
: Sweden
: 843
Dancing Steef  (10)

I've made a new spieces called the Legendaries - a mixture between wolf, puma and human. They are a native race that lives in the woods high up in the trees, where they have build smal huts around the treetrunks. They fisrt lived on the ground, but they got terrorized by another species called the Wolclarks - a relative to the Wolvarks (also a creature made by me) - and were forced to escape if they wanted to survive.

Here's a Legendary Warrior by me I haven't done any scetches on the Wolclarks yet, but as soon as get time I'll send in some

~DS~

04-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

This boarders on what should be posted in Fan Corner. I'll let it stay here as more of a questionnaire asking the wider Oddworld fan base than an opportunity to show off one's own creations.

I have several race ideas floating around in my head. I tend to think in terms of society, mannerisms, beliefs and history, though: none of my ideas have any kind of bodily design. Most don't even have names, but I continue cementing small bits to their character make-up. It's tough producing anything that has anywhere near the amount of personality, originality and believability that OWI's creations do.

04-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

Names are always the hardest.

Okay, my best creation is called a Kodo. Yeah, you may have heard that word before. Anyway, they are basically ranchers, raising meeps, elums, slogs etc on the ranch. They also have domesticated hunting buddies called dwarf paramites. I'll post a picture as soon as I get the scanner to work.

I've discovered an interesting phenomenom. Once you have drawn one of these Kodos, you can never draw one again. I just can't get the suble shape of the head right. Not at all like the rangabies. They breed on the page like gabbits.

04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

Yeah, I do it all the time.

The Noctero
A race of reclusive, bat-like creatures that have been taken in and put to work by the Industrialists.

Stulters
A race of 12 foot tall traders. Clem's village was wiped out and set aflame from a rival village attack, so he left to become a Mercenary.

Glurbbs
Glurbbs are giant mollusks that are just crossing the boundaries between animal and sentient being (like the "missing link" would be concerning us). They stalk the swamps like crocodiles, disguising themselves as rocks to avoid detection. Burtha is one of the most intelligent Glurbbs alive.

Starks.
Starks are sentient, flightless waterfowl. They are also incredibly skilled acrobats, and can leap through the trees like it's solid ground. They speak with a strong French accent.

Tapewoimz
Tapewoim skull

Tapewoimz. They may look like 40-foot long viperfish with arms, but they're actually related to birds. They live deep underground, and create vast tunnel systems, some of which were unknowingly used by the Mudokons in the creation of their temples.
They have a very laid-back lifestyle, and the group Actra and the others meet haven't moved from their home in years. Unfortunately, their tunnel is placed along the sewer system for New Rupturefarms, which is... really starting to piss them off. Why, if it wasn't for their peace-loving nature and the giant, hallucinogenic mushrooms, why they might just do something about it.
Oh, did I forget to mention the giant, hallucinogenic mushrooms? Premo stuff, man. Killer. It's like, all your troubles just... melt away, man. Then your hands start to grow and shrink in front of your eyes, and before you know it, your pupils dialate and you think you're a car. You ever read a poetry from a stoned tapewoim? Funny as hell.

Last edited by Dipstikk; 04-04-2006 at 01:32 AM..
04-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

Nice. What are they exactly?

Okay Max. What threads do people show off creations? Not that I want to "show off". Ahem

04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

You bet your sweet bippy, chuckles.

This is the only one I have uploaded; http://www.inhousemedia.net/mf/kligg.png

04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Mar 2004
: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

I used to, but now I do designs inspired by oddworld, and following the oddworld designing rules (and traditional). They may look oddworldly, they could live on oddworld, but techincally they're not oddworld creatures. But I find hard make up a reason for these beings, which ties in with the design.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Paco_the_Taco
Fuzzle

: California
: 139
Paco_the_Taco  (18)

I've got a whole continent of 'em! The drawings are kind of rough, though.

Rotovaks: 4-eyed, mole-ish guys who work as miners ( like Thrad )
T'djaa: Gecko/Bat hybrid, lives in cave colonies ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30402558/ )
Synodons: Pale, big-lipped industrials who got where they are today because of another advanced race, who they later wiped out. ( http://www.deviantart.com/view/25569287/ )
Kudros: The advanced race of blue canines that the Synodons wiped out. ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31064347/ )
Piranchees: Small, blind, albino critters that practice voodoo.
Veraquis: Quilled wolf-type animals that have velociraptor-lookin' faces.
Kordras: Huge, 3-legged serpent creatures. ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30282272/ )
Razabarls: Fat, spiny lizard folk who can curl up into spiked balls. Have Aussie accents. ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31143630/ )
Chirals: Cheetah/giraffe/gazelle/camel mix.
Wukadi: Lion/tiger-lookin' people. Culture similar to some tribes in Africa.
Ootans: Little 3-eyed squirrel/monkey animals.
Oontars: 3-eyed humanoids evolved from Ootans. ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30403372/ )
Buharaduras: Parrot/shrimp/seahorse critters that can sing & are kept as pets.
Prosideans: One-eyed crustacean-like people. Kinda act like wannabe pirates.
Arpasks: Hawk people.
Manturs: Big, lazy salamanders who live in a city that walks around on 4 giant robot spider legs.

Last edited by Paco_the_Taco; 04-11-2006 at 03:01 PM..
04-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: Jan 2006
: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)

Since I'm too lazy to load a scanner, I'll just tell you them.

Drats: See Grubb Migration.

Vytigi: The creatures that are powerful mind monsters. Related to the Oktigi family, but just doesn't like industerials. Raise the young glukkons.

Tows: The mixed breed of tigers and cows. They are monsterious creatures, with the fur of a tiger, the mixed face of tiger and cow, four arms, and an utter.

Slags: The lost family member of slog family. They are very inteligent, unlike their cousins. They also produce high amounts of radiation power, which can power an entire factory. Because of this fact, many factories kidnap them. But since has been going on for longer than mudokons have been in enslavement, there are only 4000 left. 420 remain wild.

Leons: The lion people. They are beasts with small arms, that in industery, have heavy and over sized gloves. They satnd up on two feet, and are only a few inches taller than mudokons. Leons are one of the best surcurity force on Mudos, but aren't commonly known for working for glukkons. They work the Vanirks, which are more suitble for paing their over priced salaries. Work often in eletriconics factories.

Vanirks: The second thing that makes glukkons squirm. The Vanirks are goatish, frogish people, with ear spilting voices. Any of them can force you to buy their new hearing aids. Their jobs usually consists of being in charge of any kind of plant. They thing sligs aren't effective in sercurity, so they hire Leons. Since they stand on 4 legs, they have adapted to shift their spine and shoulders, to make arms, at occasionly. Some buy the unused glukkon arms.

Fawls: The giant beetle hawk people. Fast and extermely vicous. However, they are extermely dumb, that they relay on insticint. For over 160 years, their population of those that aren't mind controlled is 1/20. The rest are controlled by a certain guy I haven't mention yet.
I'll finsih my list soon.

Last edited by Slaveless; 04-04-2006 at 03:02 AM..
04-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

I also have a creature with udders, kept on Kodo ranches. Called "Emulls", I was going for the oddworld equivalent of cows. They're like big, flightless birds with massive udders underneath.

04-04-2006, 09:05 AM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)

Oy, Sekto Springs! Didn't know you can draw that good. Reminds much of a vykker.. I love it!

Err. This is one some kind of oddworld creature, but it still lacks a name. I'm terrible with names.
And I guess this is something under that category, too.

Edit: Whoops, corrected the links.

Last edited by CarboN; 04-04-2006 at 10:47 AM..
04-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: England
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

I've not uploaded any pictures, but I can give you the creature bios. They are all intended to feature late in my Quintology fic series. In some cases I've taken an existing creature and altered it, as it better fits in with the setting-tropical rainforest type jungle.
Drucks (Not strictly jungle creatures. They live in rivers, lakes and the seashore)
Appearance: Like a mallard duck, but their wings have lots of tiny hooks on them, like Velcro but sharper. They have lots of tiny teeth in their beaks, and have double toed bird feet rather than flippers.
Hunting methods: For small animal prey they will chase their prey, hit it with their toes to kill it and stop it, then use their teeth filled beaks to rub/tear off chunks of the flesh and eat it. They also eat insects and plants. The hooked spines are for protection from predators.
Lifestyle: They hunt individually, and cannot speak, but make a sort of squawking sound when communicating with others. They live in nests-the male, female and any young ones, although it is not uncommon for one or both adults to abandon the young quite early.
Jungle Scrabs
Appearance: A normal Scrab, only in a jungle camouflage/green colour. Their feet have secondary claws to aid in mobility when racing through the jungle, and they are slighter than normal Scrabs, again for agility. Sometimes variant strains occur in the jungle climate and they develop small rows of razor-sharp teeth.
Hunting Methods: Ordinary Scrabs
Lifestyle: They hunt in small packs, fewer than a Scrabherd in Mudos. There are normally a maximum of 8 Scrabs in a pack, the Alpha Scrab, 2 Lesser male Scrabs, and the remainder are usually female Scrabs. Fights for dominance are more commonplace than in Mudos Scrabherds, and packs tend to stick to the same group, rarely adding new Scrabs. If two packs meet, they will fight en masse, as opposed to Mudos where it is more common for the 2 AlphaScrabs to fight, with the winner ruling the combined herd (which can lead to massive herds).

Furred Elum (concept, might not vfeature in my future fic)
Appearance: An Elum with brown fur.
Hunting methods: N/A-they eat plants and bee honey like normal Elum
Lifestyle: They travel in herds, sticking together for protection. Their fur keeps them dry and can protect somewhat from jungle predators, plus can disguise them as a different species.

Drazzards (Still unsure on name)
Appearance: A large iguana/komodo with green or sometimes turquoise scales. They do not have front legs, but have wings, capable of flying short distances. Their back legs are kept splayed to balance them when on the ground.
Hunting Methods: They hunt on the ground rather than in the trees. They will often float up then drop onto their prey, or will corner it and lunge forward with their powerful legs, before trapping it in their large jaws, which they can consciously dislocate to accommodate bigger prey. They swallow prey whole, but usually dead, unless it is a small herbivore, in which case they can swallow it alive. They keep away from jungle Scrabs, although will sometimes double up to kill a Scrab, then face down their partner in a fight to the death, with the winner getting the Scrab and the loser to eat.
Lifestyle: Solitary creatures, which will fight in confrontations. There have been rare instances of small packs forming, although these rarely last long, due to the creatures’ volatile and solitary natures. When a Drazzard mates, the two usually only stay together long enough to have young, and will often split, the female caring for the young until they can fly and/or hunt and then leaving them to fend alone. Drazzards are exceptionally intelligent beasts, and there have been rare cases of moderately advanced communication from Drazzards, occasionally extending to communications that you can get the rough gist of what it means, as Mudokon documentation in such areas has proved.

I also have a concept for bullfrog Gabbits, again featuring in the same fic. Basically they're like the below concept of a Gabbit:
http://www.oddworldlibrary.net/togg/...=CAMO0108.jpg4
But the sack-like bit below the jaw is smaller, and they have a gabbit's normal arms. This isn't really my own creation-more an adaption of an early Oddworld design, but I put it here anyway.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

I discovered another of mine: the Slarg

Inspired by the wargs from The Lord of the Rings, they're the slog equivalent of wargs. Sligs ride 'em.

04-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Switzerland
: 2,489
Matriar  (141)Matriar  (141)

These are really, really nice and very interesting invented creatures, guys
For that matter, here are my own invented ones:

http://oddworldforums.net/attachmen...ntid=4015&stc=1
http://oddworldforums.net/attachmen...ntid=4084&stc=1

I never can invent some names for them they're just the wolf one and the eel one

Well, I say again: This thread is interesting. Want see more.
I like the fantasy and the drawing style of all of you, guys

04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

Stranger's maid, I have 4 words for you- HTTP 404 Not Found. Where are the pictures, i wanna see them! I could try and suggest names for them if I could see the pics.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

04-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

Huh? I don't know why it didn't work. Stupid computer!
Hmm... let me see:

http://www.oddworldforums.net/attach...tid=4287&stc=1
http://www.oddworldforums.net/attach...tid=4288&stc=1

Did it work this time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf one.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	56.7 
ID:	4287   Click image for larger version

Name:	eel monster.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	67.2 
ID:	4288  

04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Yep, it worked now, and cool artwork, very good quality. I don't know about the wolf, maybe call them Ferrals/Ferrels, as they have well, a feral and wolfish appearance.
The snake thing, the first word that popped into my head was Gulpers, don't know why. You could call them something that's a cross with a fish/eel and a snake, eg. snish, sneel? that's how I got the drazzard name-dragon+lizzard. Or you could name them something totally different and original, rather than base it on their real-life counterparts' names.

04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

Gulper! That's a nice name . Thanks! And "Ferral" is a good idea too.

04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)

Making new creatures is fun, but naming stuff is too hard.
I'm always worried if the names I invent have some hidden messages or mean something not intended. : P
04-04-2006, 11:57 AM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

I have made a lot, many of which I haven't even given names for yet. Industrials are the most fun for me.

Here's a recent one I did, Matt already knows it. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ndustrial1.jpg

04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Yeah, industrials are fun to do. That's a cool idea Used, it reminds me of a mix between a Chronicler, slig and gabbit. I initially thought it was wearing a robe (and thuoght that it looked a bit priestlike in a robe), so was going to say that I'd call it something like a Profet/Prophit-a play on the words Profit and Prophet, but then I realised it was a suit. Kinda looks like a squid/hammerhead shark. and Stranger's Maid, glad I could help.

04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

Oddworld makes names that have cringe appeal, but also sound familiar. Many are combos, eg

Slig: slug/pig
Slog: slug/dog (who didn't know that one? honestly)
Glukkon: mollusk/glutton. Molluck came from this too.
Scrab: Crab/scab. This one is particuarly good, as it both sounds like "Scarab", another desert going animal (but a dung beetle. Shhh!). It also makes me think of the noise they make as they walk on the rocks.
Mudokon: ? Does it help that they're indiginous to Mudos?

My own ones follow a similar pattern.
Slarg: Slug(or slog!)/warg
Rangabie: Wallabie/Kangaroo
Kodo? I dunno, I just heard it somewhere and something clicked for me. It is also convenient that it can be changed to make "Kode", the Kodo's ancestral language; Oddworld's equivalent of Latin. I then went on to create scientific Kode names for Oddworld creatures, using whatever latin (and other language) skill I had. Which was not excessive.

Anyway, I hope that helps with naming creatures. I'll post a list of Kode names I've come up with as soon as I find the file. Stuff like "Paramitus Paramitus" (pa-RA-mi-tus pa-RA-mi-tus) for paramites.

Last edited by Bullet Magnet; 04-05-2006 at 12:31 AM.. : I was being cretinous again
04-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
Mudokon: ?
Adapted from the term ‘mod con’.

04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Kamille
Spark Stunk

: Sep 2005
: New Jersey
: 356
Kamille  (10)

I love writing things down about oddworld like new stuff its really all that you can do at this point and hope for more oddworld soon

04-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

Mod con... *thoughtful*

What the hell does that mean?

04-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

This is the first (and only) colour study for a Kodo. He is carrying an elum-prod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodo.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	143.1 
ID:	4292  

04-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Please don't double post, Bullet Magnet. For future reference, you can use the Edit button on the bottom of each post to add a post script.

Mod con is, I think, short for ‘modern convenience’. Think of a washing machine or a vacuum cleaner. Mod cons are things designed to make our lives easier by doing menial work for us. Sound familiar?