oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)
Sad Second Grade Murder Plot

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114577,00.html

Ummmm, that disturbs me. What kind of society do we have today that would have these children think murder would be the perfect solution? Have a problem...kill someone?! What is this world coming to?! This is also a major failure on the part of the parents. I'm just disgusted with this. Now I can see the blame being ridiculously thrown at Movies, Music and violent Video Games. I mean, how young do you have to be to accept responsibility for your actions?

Discuss.

-oddguy

03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2003
: Location: Location.
: 814
Dave  (10)

I think that there is a law out there saying that when you turn six or something you can be held liable for your own actions. That's about second grade level.
But you don't accidentally plan on shooting someone, no matter how old you are.
I agree entirely--that is ridiculous.

03-24-2004, 02:20 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Only in America will the whole "Oh, it was the music/game/film that made me do it!!" be used in Court. Sure, we have a few people over here or do it, but as my Media Studies teacher once said "The Americans are gullible beyond comprehension.".

I don't think you can blame the parents until you know what they're like. Chances are they're going to be Religious...they always are.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-24-2004, 03:06 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

You know what it is Oddguy its stupidity in the media and in the person who does stuff like that.

And they know it. The problem today is the media in forceing all this negative shit on us everywhere. The result is a bunch of gullible people going haywire over a tiny incidant. Anybody who has one bit of common sense knows perfectly well its wrong and just moves on. Its unfortunate these things happen but they do.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 03-24-2004 at 03:11 AM..
03-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

Jacob seems to have put it oh so perfectly
Children have often killed people over the years, and most of the time it is not because of cinema, movies or games - because they didn't exist back then. They learn by themselves, they know it is wrong unless they live with pschopaths but they do it anyway, just like adults do. This is only being made a big deal because its in America in the age where everything is blamed on media.

*reads article*
Bloody hell, they had a gun?!
****ing Americans and their guns...

03-24-2004, 05:52 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I totally agree with you guys. I sure hope they don't use media as a defence...that'd be so lame, especially if the general public falls for it like they usually do.
I think if these kids were intelligent enough to realise they had to hide the gun and knife, then they knew exactly what they were doing, and therfore should be punished accordingly.

-oddguy

03-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

The fact they were hiding the gun and knife shows that the plot was pre-meditated.
The fact they hid the gun in the sandpit, somewhere i assume would be close to the play area of the child shows that they really did think this through...

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

This is another reason why America should stop being so fucking liberal with gun laws. I mean any old adult being able to get their hands on serious firepower, but a kid? I recommend the the USA rethinks it's policy on weapons.
03-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

'I recommend the the USA rethinks it's policy on weapons.'

Well you're a homeless guy, so nobody is going to listen to what you recommend are they? No. So hush and go and finish off the tin of baked beans with your fingers...

03-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I'm cringing at hearing the word "American" so many times. I said this once before- select publicized events or generalizations don't represent 270 million+ people. Anyways, there's dozens of unkown details about the case. We know nothing aobut the parents, what the kids watch, etc...

I wouldn't be so quick to blame anything, really.
03-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

'I wouldn't be so quick to blame anything, really.'

You only say that because your parents allowed you to play with the $40 shotgun...

03-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

Dave  (10)

Okay, for all your non-Americans ...
I do believe there are gun laws. You need to be (I think) at least 21 to try and get a gun liscence. All guns (legally purchased) are registered to their owners. It is then the owners responsibility to keep them out of reach of children, and/or unloaded.
So where did these kids get a gun? An adult they knew. They snuck it and some bullets out.
Lots of people are responsible here in America. Sure, we believe a lot of the shit that the media feeds us, but we aren't all irresponsible morons.
Another thing: there are those who blame the media for influencing the way they act. The media delivers these messages to people. The media shows only what will recieve ratings, and probably doesn't care what people balme on it, because they have money and power, and, apparently, "control over the thoughts of the masses." If people are dumb enough to let the media affect their way of thinking, then screw them.

03-24-2004, 12:46 PM
lindsey
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2002
: wisconsin
: 469
lindsey  (8)

Crazy littile kids. I can't even say how stupid they are. well say littile f****'s 50 times then you will know I feel.

03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

*once again did not bother to read intire topic, sorry*
About the video game/movie thing, I think that if someone comits a murder becouse he saw it in a game, that persone is crazy anyway and would have done the same action as a response to something els just as good. Lets say a fight at school where someone says im gonna kill you. Someone who copies video games will also take that seriues most likely.
So blaming games is the gratest bullshit I ever heard (although it can make you aggresif sometime).

BTW, story from the netherlands about (rough geuse) 9 years ago two kids of nearly 8 (!!!) trew a (I believe) 4 year old kid infront of a train... can you believe it. They said they did it becouse they saw it in a video game.
Ofcourse this is a diffrent situation... PARENTS! THEY DONT BUT AGE RESTRICTIONS ON GAMES FOR NOTHING!

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

I think we should destroy all guns in the world and promote an era of love and sex like in the 60s-80s.... yes love and sex....

Anyways back to the point, when i was in 2nd grade i dont even know what a penis is... and now they're trying to kill people? What is the world coming to...
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

03-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
'I recommend the the USA rethinks it's policy on weapons.'

Well you're a homeless guy, so nobody is going to listen to what you recommend are they? No. So hush and go and finish off the tin of baked beans with your fingers...
Ah that's what I meant to do this afternoon, thanks Jacob
03-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

Esus  (10)

:
I'm cringing at hearing the word "American" so many times. I said this once before- select publicized events or generalizations don't represent 270 million+ people. Anyways, there's dozens of unkown details about the case. We know nothing aobut the parents, what the kids watch, etc...
I knew you'd say this . I also don't like the way all of Europe is generalised as Europeeans, even though there are hundreds of different countries here.... Anywho, its the americans who are allowed the guns, and it is their/your nation, so I feel it appropriate to say "****ing Americans and their guns..."

03-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Well Said Esus *much hat tipping*

I don't understand why it's illegal to kill or harm another, but buying things designed for just that purpose. Makes no sense if you ask me.
03-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

there are some strict gun laws in the states. Not nearly good enough though. a 10 round limit for all guns is still crap. 10 rounds is more then enough to kill someone.

03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

'10 rounds is more then enough to kill someone.'

Not if you're an American. Remember the Iraq conflict, they needed atleast 98 bullets just to hit one Iraqi...the other 97 hit their allies.

03-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

now THAT made me laugh.

03-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Lucipher

: SE England,hampshire,yately
: 374
Lucipher  (10)

:
'10 rounds is more then enough to kill someone.'

Not if you're an American. Remember the Iraq conflict, they needed atleast 98 bullets just to hit one Iraqi...the other 97 hit their allies.
So so true, By the way I heard that if you had no criminal record, you could go into a place that sells guns and buy a handgun and at the same time a licence, and take the firearm away with you packeged of course, I mean what's to stop you from holding up a bank or somethig with it? The gun would have no ammunition in it but the bank would'nt know that would they?
03-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

Dave  (10)

This seems to be turning into a "let's bash Americans" thread.
And while I am American, and do tend to agree with some of what is being said, it still seems pretty derogatory...
I wonder if there are any people from the States hanging around here who feels a little insulted by all the American-bashing going on ...

03-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

Ay'...

Generalizations, stereotypes, etc... They all run rampant.
03-27-2004, 05:45 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
I wonder if there are any people from the States hanging around here who feels a little insulted by all the American-bashing going on ...
Not me. I agree. I'll be the first to tell ya that America is screwed up to the point of no return.

-oddguy

03-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

Esus  (10)

bashing America? Lets bring on the quotes hehe

"America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair."
"America is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there."
"What a pity, when Christopher Colombus discovered America, that he ever mentioned it."
"Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected."
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
"'10 rounds is more then enough to kill someone.'

Not if you're an American. Remember the Iraq conflict, they needed atleast 98 bullets just to hit one Iraqi...the other 97 hit their allies."
And the irony of this one that someone wrote at another forum is astonishing:
"And this discussion is only for Americans! I am sick other countries getting in our business!!"

*drinks tea while whistling innocently*

Last edited by Esus; 03-27-2004 at 09:50 PM..
03-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

I hate mal-representation. I must say, your actually grinding my nerves now
03-28-2004, 06:27 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Bah, I've gotten used to it...after all, most of it is true. Although there are many, many people who are not, majority of the people over here are like that.

03-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

Still, it would be much nicer to say "The majority of Americans..." etc... so enlightened people like you and I aren't group in with the same riff raff trash
03-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Ah yes, I see your point there...

Hey Majic, howbout we start our own country?