Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner > Non-Oddworld Art & Literature

05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)
Tales of intrigue, ghosts and explorers

I know this is my third thread in a row but this one is a keeper, I have had a few of these stories around for a while in my head and thought that now is the best time to write them for some reason. Most of these are Novellas, Ballads and vignettes therefore take a few minutes to read each. Enjoy.

Story One: The Cawdorians Chapter I

James Huntingdon, was an normal man from Sarrat, a small hamlet in England, James was an explorer, he had fought in the navy for years in the Crimean peninsulas but had also touched the Americas, specifically Peru, it had a profound effect on him and. Upon completion of his time in the military he set about returning on a small ship, the H.M.S Cawdorian.

The voyage lasted a few weeks but eventually, he landed upon the foreign shores, they entered the Colonial Port of Howitzer and set about gathering information from the locals. James was looking, in particular for information about the Crucible Mountains, their caps had evaded him when he had landed previously but now, without the constraints of time he could climb them.
"I say excuse me there, little cretin," Huntingdon cried out to a small, withered child clad in tattered clothing.
It turned to eye him, he dropped the basket he was holding and looked up at the strange man,
"I say, could you tell me where I could find a traversable route to the top of the Crucible range? I care not which mountain, if you wouldn't mind, there's a crown in it for you," He continued revealing a shiny gold coin.
Mesmerized, the child grabbed the coin from the man's hands and eyed it precariously before shoving it into his pocket, his cracked lips opened and he spoke with the voice of one who has had no food for a week.
"Sir, you should not go as if you fall, there is no way of returning, none escape the perilous ridges if they find themselves on the dark side, they are a days walk eastward though, if you are that stupid," and with that, he wandered away.

"Well, I'll take my chances." James said defiantly.

Last edited by STM; 05-15-2010 at 03:19 AM..
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Lord Stanley
Boombat Seeker

: Jan 2010
: You don't want to know
: 609
Lord Stanley  (121)Lord Stanley  (121)

Poor guy, he's in for it now. Listen to advice...but that makes for a poor story. Only good stories have stupid but reader-happy decision-making. This sounds like a good beginning.
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Well maybe I should edit my original idea for him to heed the kids wisdom and return home as fast as possible!!! what do you think?

05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Interesting idea. James seems like a total goit, which is quite original in a protagonist

However, if you don't mind me criticising (hopefully in a constructive way), your grammar could use a lot of work. The jerky grammar makes it quite hard to read. To take the first sentence alone...

:
James Huntingdon, was an normal man from Sarrat, a small hamlet in England, it was called the dark sickness because it had the odd effect of making peoples eyes redundant.
The first comma shouldn't be there.
Third comma should be a semi-colon ( ; )
What's called the dark sickness? The town? The country?

I'm saying this to try and help, not criticise, and if you're like me and want to actually get some writing published some day it'll be pretty important.

A COMMA ( , ) has two uses. One is in making a list. For example a list of eggs, hats, shoes, bananas and cheese.
The second is to attach a sentence fragment to a full sentence. By fragment I mean a part of a sentence that isn't a full sentence on it's own. For example, "A small hamlet in England." That on its own isn't a complete sentence. "Sarrat was a small hamlet in England." is. Say them aloud and you should probably be able to tell the distance, but I've also explained the most basic form of sentence structure below.

So commas can add a fragment in the beginning, middle or end of a sentence.
EG. "Closing the door behind him, Jim left his house and walked down the road."
"Jim left his house, closing the door behind him, and walked down the road."
"Jim left his house and walked down the road, closing the door behind him."
In each case the highlighted part is the fragment you're adding.

A SEMI-COLON ( ; ) is used to join two complete sentences together. For example, " James was an explorer; he had fought in the navy for years."
"James was an explorer." is a complete sentence, and "He had fought in the navy for years." is also a complete sentence. A semi-colon can be used to join two complete sentences together.

A very simple complete sentence usually follows the pattern, 'noun (an object) - verb (an action) - noun.' The first noun is the subject of the sentence. So
The child (noun/subect) grabbed (verb) the coin (noun).
James was an explorer.

The last bit doesn't always have to be a noun.

James looked around.
(I have no idea what kind of word 'around' is but I don't think it's a noun.)

So in the case of "James Huntingdon, was an normal man from Sarrat." You don't need that comma because James Huntingdon is your sentence subject.
James Huntingdon was a normal man.

Whereas "A small hamlet in England." doesn't have a verb, and so isn't a complete sentence, while "closing the door behind him." doesn't have a subject; it opens with a verb, and so isn't a complete sentence!

So there is your very basic complete sentence! Then you can tack on all the embellishments and such, like clever tenses and descriptions and sentence fragments which you are clearly very good at, judging from what I just read. You just need to get your punctuation sorted out

I'm learning this all the time; I was rereading an early chapter from my Oddworld fanfiction recently and deleted tons of commas.

My one other bit of advice is to always proof-read what you've written. I know it's a pain but it's always worth the effort. There are so many little mistakes in the chapter that could have been cleared up, and when your chapters are so short it shouldn't take too long (try doing it when you write chapters six pages long! )
It's a pain and it seems like a waste of time but it's totally worth it for the sake of the quality of what you eventually post.

Anyway, sorry for the lecture. I am intrigued by the chapter and I do look forward to reading more! I hope I came over as helpful, 'cus being helpful is pretty much what I hope I'm here for.

(Also, I hope I found colours that show up as well in the native skin as they do in industrial!)

Last edited by Splat; 05-14-2010 at 05:39 PM..
05-15-2010, 03:19 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Oh crap sorry, that wasn't supposed to be in there, oh, thanks for this I'm going to restart the work and try again in a day or two.

05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Right, new story entirely and new outlook on grammar...oh boy!

The wild children

Chapter 1

"That's a good ball, so what if the leather ripped a bit, it bounces, and hey, if the leather does come of you can still bounce the foamy bit can't you,"

"Yeh, it's pretty good, I had to fight it from Luke though, I saw it first!"

"I would have fought for that too, it's a good ball."

The two boys conversed in the ruins of their old school, in particular their old English classroom. The chairs were all stacked or pushed over, the boys had stacked them against the doors too, the ghouls couldn't get in, they weren't that dangerous but they looked scary, what with their mouldy flash and all.
The hide out was home of six boys who had named themselves the True Clan, they inhabited the school grounds and defended them fiercely from the outsiders. Aidyn led the group but was rarely seen because he spent most of his time clearing ghoul teams and looking for new members to join their gang. The atomic reactor meant they couldn't get that far out of Hertfordshire, without a Geiger counter as well, they had to gauge how radiated they where simply by when they felt nauseas.

"Let's get back to the guys Will,"

"Yeh, good idea!"

05-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Lord Stanley
Boombat Seeker

Definitely intriguing, mentions of Ghouls and people feeling nauseous.
05-20-2010, 08:27 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Ok, new story (sorry that was more like a vignette.)

The morality of an overdose

As I fall into a drug induced state,
My head grates across the floor,
Smash across the concrete slate,
Calling out for more.

Crowd around my head,
I grab at their legs,
Someone filming, they're all dead,
Scared shitless, spent too long at the kegs.

I started with beer,
Taking that shit didn't get me high,
The mere up turned to down,
An ambience led me on to try...

Harder drugs.

Next I'm no to valium,
Then I graduate,
I should really take one,
for my sickly headache.

But before I know it I end up taking another fucking eight,
And I feel like I fallen off my every face,
Now I'm retching and I'm really quite sick,
I think I need to grab a plate or something warm, something that gives me the shakes.

I can't look my baby in the eye,
Coz every time I cry,
She cries,
The whole mother fucking family cries.

You know there ain't much soul inside me,
So she cries out, I think that daddy's got another problem with me,
He ignores me, won't wash, has the tendency to take a few (verbal) stabs at me!
I think he's got another dark heart attack from the pills and gilly.

05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Lord Stanley
Boombat Seeker

How many new stories is this thread going to have? I'm not opposed to them - they're all interesting - but we never have a chance to see development! (Plus, that last one had cursing, and I try to avoid stories with cursing.)
05-20-2010, 12:08 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Fair do's no there's going to be quite a few short stories and ballads, I use swearing merely because it shows the characters emotional turmoil achieved from drug use.

05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Ok, new story

"So what's your name?"

"Who me," I looked up surprised,

"Yeh of course you, who are you?" Replied the boy sitting across the table

"Well, I'm Malluch Vitz, new to this class," I replied, the boy looked at me with scrutinising eyes for a second before he brushed his blonde hair and continued to write.

"Do you want a sweet Malluch?" He asked half not caring,

"Yes I replied" He handed over one to me and I unravelled the sticky casing and viewed it carefully before dropping it into my mouth like a neanderthal, I quickly recovered my manners but was too late.

"Bloody hell! Anyone would think you never had a sweetie in months,"

"Well of course not, we don't have sweets where I live, the guards tell us that sweets are for people who are good and not filth!"

"I think your pretty nice and you don't look bad to me."

Well that kid was nice, he didn't push me around and call me bad things because I follow your father, only, I heard that he was killed in 1943 when the British bombed his house, I don't think he should be persecuted along with the rest of his nation, he didn't put me in the gas chambers! The reason I tell you this Mr. Christ is because I'd like it very much if he could be brought to Heaven. Pleasssseeeee!

Thankyou. Ok, I'm going through the gates now, I just thought you'd like to know

07-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Gulon
Zappfly

: Jul 2010
: UK
: 4
Gulon  (10)

:
Ok, new story (sorry that was more like a vignette.)

The morality of an overdose

As I fall into a drug induced state,
My head grates across the floor,
Smash across the concrete slate,
Calling out for more.

Crowd around my head,
I grab at their legs,
Someone filming, they're all dead,
Scared shitless, spent too long at the kegs.

I started with beer,
Taking that shit didn't get me high,
The mere up turned to down,

Harder drugs.

Next I'm no to valium,
Then I graduate,
I should really take one,
for my sickly headache.

But before I know it I end up taking another fucking eight,
And I feel like I fallen off my every face,
Now I'm retching and I'm really quite sick,
I think I need to grab a plate or something warm, something that gives me the shakes.

Coz every time I cry,
She cries,

You know there ain't much soul inside me,
So she cries out, I think that daddy's got another problem with me,
He ignores me, won't wash, has the tendency to take a few (verbal) stabs at me!
I think he's got another dark heart attack from the pills and gilly.
for some reason it makes me laugh when i read:

Coz every time I cry,
She cries,

Harder drugs.
07-31-2010, 03:19 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Err thank? But this thread is four months old mate, check there dates before posting.

07-31-2010, 04:18 AM
Gulon
Zappfly

: Jul 2010
: UK
: 4
Gulon  (10)

didn't realize i thought it was new since the link to this page was attached to your posts
08-01-2010, 04:02 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

My bad, needs and update, look at Oddworld Short Stories II in the fan corner thread that's active