Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner > Non-Oddworld Art & Literature

04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)
Exclamation A new forge - History

I don't know if anyone is interested in history but I am, I therefore have decided to open a topic based on what the world may be like if the Roman empire withstood another ten years!
I hope this gets views because it's under constant scrutiny and hard work!

PART I
A BRIEF OUTLINE ~
The crisis of the third century ~ ARTICULUS A TERTIUS CENTUM

The Roman Empire is decreasing in size! To be honest this period of time began in 235 AD, the senate is experiencing a fatal collapse, twenty five senators resign from 235 to 284 and the economy and military is crumbling as a succession of terrible droughts and terrible commanders cause havoc in the economy and armies.
The empire has also now split in two, the Eastern Empire and The Western Empire Diocletian believes the western empire is unfathomable and unruly however, this is where the story begins, Diocletian will be referenced to as Emperor X and his decisions will be altered for purposes of this large essay.

THE SPLITTING OF THE EMPIRE ~

Emperor X is now in reign, the year is 284 AD. The empire has just been split in two after pressure from advancing hordes, the capital cities are Rome and Constantinople. This divides the empire into two manageable chunks, separate currencies are used and so are separate troops, noticeable, cavalry is trained in Byzantium and used as the backbone of many legions, this is because the vast spaces to be covered between the towns and cities. In the Western Empire, legionaries are the primary force, each legion comprises of about four thousand troops and three hundred equities. The sprawling cities of the West are defended by the cohorts of triarii and centurions usually six hundred in number, large heavy infantry corps while the eastern defenders choose more lightly armoured troops with noticeably lighter shields.

Another noticeable feature is that at the divide, the Eastern Empire now contains vast numbers of slaves, they are paid less and receive more brutal punishments however, without them, the empire would cease to function and defend it's border! Emperor X realises this and raises pay by 30 sestertii.

A notable victory in this period is in July 285 at the Battle of Margus where Emperor X, beats Carinus, this is due to a few factors, just one of which was rogue Carinus' armies questionable loyalty. Emperor X hears of accounts of rape and pillage by Carinus' army, no one is spared, an example that crushes future rebellion attempts back in there idealogical stage!

Back in Rome, Emperor X is helping re-establish a possible slump in the economy, he creates the public baths entry fee, this lasts ten months and puts money into the economy used to find cures for a plague ravaging the nation at the time, the success saves tens of thousands. Loyalty has never been higher and once the bath fees are once again abolished, many senators create a new senate.

Next issue will talk about the possibilities of what would happen if the Danube river battle was a success for the Romans, feel free to chip in now about the previous issue!