Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

03-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

That's what I was thinking, which would make the area name of Fangustan much better.

03-19-2005, 04:35 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I guess fangus is just the working title...
I hope it will be "Oddworld Fangus' something"

03-19-2005, 05:01 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

: Mar 2004
: Poland
: 224
_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
I hope it will be "Oddworld Fangus' something"
Me too

10 characters.

03-19-2005, 05:44 AM
Software Bug
Formerly Tim Cottenham

: Jun 2004
: Groningen, Netherlands
: 1,068
Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)
Game Box

hmm Oddworld Fangus would sound cool

we might end up with this

Notice this is FAN MADE by me and just quick made for fun

Thanks to Putfile for hosting http://www.putfile.com
Thanks to TOGG for Logo http://www.oddworlduniverse.com/togg

Throw around some Mudokons in my game Flying Mudokons!

Need images for your Oddworld fan project? Visit The Oddworld Vector Gallery!

Last edited by Software Bug; 03-19-2005 at 05:51 AM..
03-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I wonder why a Sheep Herder would have so many guns? And be so well built...

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

If you look closely to Fangus' skirt (another Scottish thing!), you'll see etched marks in the woodeen plating (like in prisons, but there they'se on the wall). It reminds me of the icons fighter pilots used to put on their planes, indicating how many enemy fighters he/she had taken down.
- And you're still a dick.

03-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Angalok
Stingbee

: Feb 2005
: Virginia, U.S.A.
: 99
Angalok  (10)

It said that the game would be rated M for "darker content". That doesn't necessarily mean an M-level of violence and gore. It could simply mean that the story would be way too disturbing for younger players. I mean, a peaceful shepherd who's driven to become a killing machine due to a rabies outbreak? A lot of room for psychological horror there.

These invaders, I wonder if they're the ones spreading the rabies? Perhaps the phrase "all the nations of Oddworld" means that Fangus has to stop a disease outbreak before it starts spreading to other lands? Maybe his quest is to blast all the infected before a plague sweeps Oddworld, although in the end that would mean he has to kill himself and his flock.
03-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

Think about it guys... the only similarity between a Steef and "Fangus" are the fact that they're both beefy and they have "lionesque" features. Steefs hate guns (yes the race) beause Stranger hated guns, and he was the least loyal to his heritage. The Steefs protected the Grubbs with crossbows (I forgot where I heard that) and so it would be silly if Fangus was a Steef. Also, Fangus has claws and two legs, and his body is covered in skin, not fur.

Plus, as I mentioned before, think about Fangustan. It's a totally different place, probably loaded with different species. I highly doubt there will be Steef on another continent of Oddworld. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my $.02.

03-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Software Bug
Formerly Tim Cottenham

: Jun 2004
: Groningen, Netherlands
: 1,068
Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)

:
Plus, as I mentioned before, think about Fangustan. It's a totally different place, probably loaded with different species. I highly doubt there will be Steef on another continent of Oddworld. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my $.02.
i agree.
it may be just a specie that looks like steefs like humans and monkeys for example

PS: anyone is going to give comments on my artwork?

Throw around some Mudokons in my game Flying Mudokons!

Need images for your Oddworld fan project? Visit The Oddworld Vector Gallery!

03-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

I'll do it. Ahem:

Good job, Tim H.C.!

03-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Yeh, t'is quite a good interpretation of what we could be seeing if this isn't an April Fools joke.

Out of intrigue, are Slegs a different breed of Slog? Because there was one picture i saw that actually looked like a Rottweiler, and it had been titled 'Slog' near the corner somewhere.

Also, what exactly is this?

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/568/...g_2503634.html

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-19-2005, 06:56 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

Ok, this is my Idea:

In real world, sheeps, are protected with shepherd from wolfs. So, I think, The Fangus is some kind of Dog Creature (not Steef), his mission is Protect the Sheeps, and his enemy (and ships enemy) are some kind of Wolf Predator Creatures. Think about it

Btw. LOOK AT THIS! He have a tail!

Yeah! Fangus is not a Steef!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAIL.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	29.1 
ID:	2988  

Last edited by _GrubHunter_; 03-19-2005 at 07:06 AM..
03-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Elodie
Bolamite

: Jul 2004
: Derbyshire, United Kingdom
: 74
Elodie  (10)

I certainly do like the artwork of Fangus. To me he resemble's more of a wolf like creature. And the sheep/ram like creatures do look very sadistic but cool. However It doesn't feel like it's a 100% Oddworld to me. I mean, lets look at what we know.

Oddworld is signed with EA, and now they're supposed to be with Majesco?

The character has guns. It could be that they don't shoot manmade ammo such as bullets, or the character could be the enimie, or was/still is the hero and now becomes engulfed by a disease. Or it's not an Oddworld character?

The sheep/rams actually do look sheep/rams, a little too earth like. However they are small looking things, and very evil in appearance, so could still be OWI work, or not?

And after reading my own post, its clear that we know absolutely nothing. ha. lol

We can only hope that Gameinformer are telling us the right info and that it's not been distorted in anyway.
03-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

I don't know about your Sleg question, but that's a concept of one of the smaller outlaws, or possibly an informant like Scuz, but smaller. See how the caption says "interoggating an outlaw.'

03-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

:
Ok, this is my Idea:

In real world, sheeps, are protected with shepherd from wolfs. So, I think, The Fangus is some kind of Dog Creature (not Steef), his mission is Protect the Sheeps, and his enemy (and ships enemy) are some kind of Wolf Predator Creatures. Think about it

Btw. LOOK AT THIS! He have a tail!

Yeah! Fangus is not a Steef!
Steef have tails too, theirs ark off of the back of their steef-centaur ass.

But please...PLEASE don't let Fangus be a canine of any kind, or the enemy for that matter. God, I hate wolves. And making him a wolf would send Oddworld's origonality down the shitter.
Don't tell me "Oh, but we had Clakkers!" Clakkers resembled chickens in a very small way. And they weren't the main character.

Besides, Fangus looks more like a cougar anthro to me. PLEASE, don't let this be the final design for him! What about a hulking insect? That would look awesome!

03-19-2005, 08:00 AM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

: Orlando, Fl.
: 124
ConkerTribe  (10)

I think the big question I have to ask of this new character, is that if he has the same 3rd/1st person gameplay, will he also have the gallop move like Stranger? I mean, it would seem logical with the amount of power in those legs of his, but then again, do OWI really want to make a Stranger look-alike? I mean, it would seem that he is just as badass as Stranger is, but he has a different weapons, more hulk-like physique, and he's a different species altogether. I mean, with so much similarities to Stranger, it's hard to distinguish them, even with hooves and other differences because they act the same way.

That being said, I wonder if he'll also be able to ram into enemies in his way. Also, if he is more hulk-like in physique, wouldn't it be logical to assume that he could just plow through whoever's in his path, unlike Stranger?

Also, since he looks so powerful, I wonder if he'll be able to cause more mass destruction to the environments than Stranger could. I mean, the way he looks, he could plow a whole house to the ground by ramming right into it. I hope he can cause that kind of destruction.

Finally, I wonder if OWI will finally put in a multiplayer mode for us to have some extra replay value in. Some bots would be nice too.

03-19-2005, 08:06 AM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

I think it's likely he is based on a sheep dog. You can totally see a dog-like resemlence, and he's a shepeard after all. He could also be related to the steef species, much like how glukkuns are related to octigis.
03-19-2005, 08:10 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
Also, since he looks so powerful, I wonder if he'll be able to cause more mass destruction to the environments than Stranger could. I mean, the way he looks, he could plow a whole house to the ground by ramming right into it. I hope he can cause that kind of destruction.
Yup, that's true
:
I think it's likely he is based on a sheep dog. You can totally see a dog-like resemlence, and he's a shepeard after all.
Agreed.
In my Opinion, Fangus have Face like Gorilla:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ryj.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	24.0 
ID:	2989  

Last edited by _GrubHunter_; 03-19-2005 at 08:17 AM..
03-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Mudokon Princess

: Nov 2004
: America
: 153
Mudokon Princess  (10)
Question

that is NOT a steef, that thing is too evil looking, whatever it is...*shudders* i do NOT like the looks of this dude lol

hes kinda cool looking in his own way...but do you all really think this "fangus" is oddworld material, as far as heroes go...a bad guy yeah...but a hero???
03-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

Mass enviroenmental destruction would be AWESOME, and it's not an unrealistic goal, especially if the article's wrong and it's being planned for a next-gen console.

03-19-2005, 08:18 AM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

: Orlando, Fl.
: 124
ConkerTribe  (10)

:
that is NOT a steef, that thing is too evil looking, whatever it is...*shudders* i do NOT like the looks of this dude lol

hes kinda cool looking in his own way...but do you all really think this "fangus" is oddworld material, as far as heroes go...a bad guy yeah...but a hero???
You know, I think I'm going to take a page right out of Oddworld and teach you all a lesson, once and for all.

You guys are not giving this guy a chance and saying he's not "right" for Oddworld. Well guess what? You're no better than Caste D. Raider (or whatever) when he didn't except Steef as one of them. You all should be ashamed for judging this guy.

I for one am going to give him a chance to prove himself!

03-19-2005, 08:19 AM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

I doubt this is planned for next-gen consoles, I think it's pretty obvious (if this is real) it will be using the OSW engine (1st/3rd person gameplay). I think they could pop this out in a years time.

I agree people should give the character a chance before jumping to conclusions.
03-19-2005, 08:28 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
I agree people should give the character a chance before jumping to conclusions.
Hey, this guy is my favourite hero, so don't attack me

03-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Mudokon Princess

: Nov 2004
: America
: 153
Mudokon Princess  (10)

ROFL!!! well im not judging him, i was just asking if he would fit in as a hero..of course im gonna give him a try and jumping to conclusions is for pansies dang lol
03-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Elodie
Bolamite

: Jul 2004
: Derbyshire, United Kingdom
: 74
Elodie  (10)

Sure I'm giving him a chance, i'd love to play as this dude. Something just doesnt fit thats all. Looks more like Warhammer than Oddworld to me, but who knows. I'm sure i'll be proven wrong.
03-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

When I first saw that picture, "Gothic" sprung to mind, not Oddworld. While I'm sure this character will have many things going for him, in that drawing it looks like they got rid of the traditional Oddworld charm, which is the thing that has made me love Oddworld the most.

And Mojoman, the problem with the next Oddworld coming out in 2006 is that the Xbox Next is planned for Fall 2005. If it comes out for Xbox, the game will most likely be a dud, even if backwards capability is possible. I'm just worried for OWI's sake.

03-19-2005, 09:04 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
When I first saw that picture, "Gothic" sprung to mind, not Oddworld. While I'm sure this character will have many things going for him, in that drawing it looks like they got rid of the traditional Oddworld charm, which is the thing that has made me love Oddworld the most.

And Mojoman, the problem with the next Oddworld coming out in 2006 is that the Xbox Next is planned for Fall 2005. If it comes out for Xbox, the game will most likely be a dud, even if backwards capability is possible. I'm just worried for OWI's sake.
But hey, in Xbox 2 you can play games from Xbox

03-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
But hey, in Xbox 2 you can play games from Xbox
Backwards Compatability is not certain yet, though it is probable. And besides, even if it's playable, it won't compete with those with better graphics and more memory and features. It's just a bad desicision.

03-19-2005, 09:14 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
Backwards Compatability is not certain yet, though it is probable. And besides, even if it's playable, it won't compete with those with better graphics and more memory and features. It's just a bad desicision.
You know, Lorne hates create games for new consoles.

03-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

This game looks like it has a bit of a scottish theme to it. Like:

- A kilt
- traditionanly scottish poeple who where those skilts, were muscler and strong becuase it was hobbie trowing and lifting heavy objects.
-Goats/ sheeps are in Scotland
-High lands
-Clowdy grey skys

Proof me wrong if you must, but it has a connection.

I realy like the cloths and such and very cool guns, but I don't like that he's some kind of cheeta creature.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe