Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

Great chapter! Poor Dionysia
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

Last edited by Splat; 04-10-2008 at 09:34 AM..
04-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Tra la la, formatting, formatting, formatting...

Sligs mouths are poorly formed for speaking Mudosian – the language used by most inhabitants. Originally sligs spoke their own unique language called ‘Sliggish’ which other inhabitants are mostly unable to reciprocate, but in the modern industrial world most sligs know little of their native tongue beyond a few curses and words commonly used as passwords on voicelocks. Glukkons do not want their underlings speaking a language they cannot understand.

Part 5
--
Traitor’s Loyalty

Chapter 24

“And so the guy’s like, ‘Well don’t tell anyone else about this stuff, cus I don’t want loads of people coming here. I only take customers I’ve picked myself so I don’t get the wrong people coming. The Cartel has snoops everywhere these days!’”

“Uhuh, like the one right under his nose.”

“Right, and so the guy pulls out his entire weapon store for me! He even gives me a sample weapon he’s rigged to break if it’s reloaded. Next day we bust him.”

The other slig grunted in amusement. “Anything good?”

“Oh yeah! Mostly Grade Eights, a few unlicensed Sevens, but then they dug deep in his store and found some Grade Nines – massive things, blow-a-hole-in a-radiation-shield type guns – and even a couple of experimental things that the vykkers had never seen before!”

Stivik laughed, “They let you keep any of that?”

The first slig grinned, “Only in my dreams.”

They both laughed somewhat thuggishly. Grade Nine weapons were totally illegal; Grade Eights were used only by the most qualified sligs for the protection of the species queens and Grade Sevens could only be used by those with proper licensing. As Cartel snoops, both of these sligs were allowed to apply for Grade Seven weaponry and Stivik had a sleek-looking Grade Seven gun that could load a wide selection of projectiles.

“What about you?” The first slig, named Othi, asked at length. “Last job you pulled?”

“Huh, hardly worth mentioning. Guy was buying muds, releasing them into the wild and making out they were getting killed. The natives were giving him meat, wood and any other stuff they’d got that he wanted. I was there three days and boom, guy was arrested, and the muds wiped out; all killed or caught, like they should be.”

“What happened to the glukkon?”

Stivik shrugged. “Maggie dealt with him herself; no idea what she did to him. Half his sligs went to Skillya though so I bet he was better off than they were.”

“Huh…” Othi made an unpleasant expression; both sligs were thinking the same thing.

“Come on though, you must have a better story than that! What about that guy you got this job for? Balic?”

“Tilic?” Stivik’s demeanour instantly became more disagreeable, “Nothing to tell; bastard was helping some vykkers with plans for world domination; I turned him in.”

Othi grunted, pushed himself out of his seat and walked out of the lounge, seeking better entertainment.

It was widely agreed by all those knowledgeable that Snoops HQ, where they all spent time between jobs – which admittedly wasn’t often – was the most boring place on Oddworld. They had all at one time or another asked the glukkons to give them some sort of entertainment but nothing had been done; they couldn’t even get drunk there.

Being bored made Stivik more grouchy than usual, because it reminded him that as a scout he had never been bored; there had never been the opportunity. If Tilic hadn’t been such an idiot and…

He pushed himself onto his feet and stomped out of the room as well. Anyway, tomorrow he was moving to a new job and with any luck he’d be out of this place for a few weeks, maybe longer. A glukkon accused of selling weapons to natives; well, he could make excuses for not visiting the armoury much, take his time investigating. Out of here he could probably find ways of occupying himself, spending less time bored, less time thinking.

Without realising it he had walked to the train platform. If you looked down the tunnel you could just spot a tiny scrap of smoky sky, far off. Snoops HQ was somewhere towards the middle of one of Mudos’s cities, one much smaller than Nolybab of course but none-the-less impressive. It was a place where windows were not encouraged however, especially in buildings inhabited by sligs whose identities were supposed to be kept secret, so this was one of the few places where he could catch a glimpse of something not made by the hands of vykkers.

He turned away almost immediately, scolding himself for coming back here again. There were bigger things than the world outside!

He reflected upon the irony of this statement as he made his way towards his bunk. Ah well; by this time tomorrow he’d be far away.

The journey took five hours, even in the fastest train the Magog Cartel could be bothered to provide him with. He travelled alongside a few crates of machine parts and three other sligs, none of them anything special, all of them convinced of their own greatness. He didn’t let himself spend the whole journey looking out of the window however, but joined in with a few of their jokes and played a lot of cards, even though he lost a sizeable portion of his moolah on the journey, not being familiar with most of the tricks used by born-and-raised city sligs.

The journey was a bad one financially speaking, and he was relieved when they arrived at Bescher’s Cuisine Chemical Plant; a factory that made a number of food additives which the glukkon Bescher had patented, forcing various companies to have to start paying him outrageous prices for permission to keep making the food products that they had been producing for years. Rumour had it that, among other things, Bescher owned the patent on the Tear X-Tractor and had caused the falling profits on Rupture Farms, therefore inadvertently starting the whole terrorist uprising. His aggressive business plan, as well as his responsibility for the emergence of Abe, had obviously made him a large number of enemies, which meant that the Magog Cartel had been rather sceptical when they started receiving tip-offs that he had been supplying weapons to natives, but they had still sent Stivik to investigate. Stivik wasn’t too bothered since if the whole thing was just a lie to discredit Bescher, he could still spend a long time investigating him.

They left the train in the middle of the afternoon and were led from the station platform to a nearby security point where they were met by one of Bescher’s high-ranking sligs, named Gash, who fortunately knew enough to forgo the typical ‘you’re here to work, not sleep’ speech and pushed right on to their instructions.

“You’ll be given patrol routes in the main security office tomorrow morning. As new recruits you’re expected to watch over the cafeteria when the muds are eating. We do the typical two-meals-a-day thing here; morning and mid-afternoon. You’ll find out your own meal times when you get your patrol routes. I’ll just take you up to the bunks now and then we can head down to watch the muds eat.”

They trooped up some stairs to a small, smelly room full of narrow bunk beds where they dumped their belongings. “You’ll probably get night shift about once a week and you’ll get at least the morning of the next day off. There’s a bar for us sligs near our cafeteria but you can only use it if you’re not working night shift or the next morning. Boss’s orders.”

“Oh, one other thing,” He added as they approached the cafeteria, from which the noise of clattering plates was radiating, “Some vykkers are paying the boss to let them keep some mud girl here. She’s an experiment or something. Anyway, she doesn’t work with the other muds; you’ll probably see her around before long. She’s supposed to be keeping out terrorists or something.”

“A mud? Keeping terrorists out?” Scoffed one of the other sligs.

“Uhuh; crazy vykkers.”

This little it of information caught Stivik’s attention; he never trusted vykkers now. He had always considered them reasonable before the thing with Tilic, but if one lot was capable of terrorism then why should the rest be trustworthy? What did vykkers think they could do with a mudokon that they couldn’t do with a slig?

The five sligs emerged onto a metal catwalk. Below them was the cafeteria where mudokons were collecting food and eating in near-silence. Most of the noise was emanating from the kitchen to the side of the room.

“Most of the places where mudokons gather in high numbers have overhead catwalks for us to patrol on,” Their new superior explained and the sligs grunted their approval. There were ten other sligs up their already and they joined them, circling around the room on the catwalk, glowering down at the eating muds.

That evening, after having been shown the layout of the factory, they were resting in a lounge laid out for sligs. Stivik tactically sat himself Gash and after a while steered the idle conversation in a direction more fitting his real work.

“So what’s the boss of this place like?” He asked casually.

“Huh, we hardly see him these days. He gets more and more paranoid every minute.”

“Right, I bet someone who sets up a business like this isn’t gonna make himself many friends.”

“Nah, but he makes himself moolah,” Replied Gash, “And he pays us well, so who’s complaining?”

“Yeah, I saw the pay was good,” Stivik grinned, “Half the reason why I’m here!”

“Huh, less than half I bet. Bescher wouldn’t have hired you if he didn’t think he could trust you. Like I said, he’s paranoid, worried someone will pay his employees to do him in.”

Stivik wondered for a moment what history had been made up for him by the Cartel; if Gash was right then Bescher probably wouldn’t have hired anyone with a past like his.

“There were some weird rumours going round about him back in the city. Hey,” He called to the other sligs who were just starting a game of poker, “Any of you guys hear the rumours about Bescher?”

One of the sligs nodded, “About him selling weapons to the muds?” He looked nervous suddenly, “You don’t think any of its true do you?”

“I’ve not heard anything about him selling on weapons," Gash assured them, "Probably just rumours started by people who don’t like his business, trying to get the Cartel to bring him down.”

“Yeah, it didn’t sound likely.” Stivik replied, “But it’s better to know for sure. If the Cartel did bring him down they’d do more to his sligs than to him.”

“They wouldn’t investigate here anyway,” Gash assured them. “They know he’s unpopular so they’d know it was all a lie.”

“I don’t know,” One of the other sligs said, “What with the terrorist scare they’d probably do just about anything. It’s been two years since Vykker’s Labs got it; they’re all just waiting for Abe’s next big move. They don’t want the muds getting stronger than they are now.”

Stivik shook his head, “People are more frightened of what he doesn’t do. They’re getting paranoid now. The job I had before this one there were a group of sligs who firmly believed Abe was living in Nolybab with a secret identity, just waiting for the opportunity to get at dear old Queen Maggie. I mean come on; the muds hadn’t given any trouble for years so obviously the attack on Rupture Farms and Soulstorm Brewery were just too sudden for them to react to. Then Abe vanishes for a year and just when everyone’s relaxed he strikes again. But we’re ready for him now; security’s tightened since then, and the technologies getting better all the time.”

“It doesn’t hurt to be ready!” Put in one of the sligs who, in the card game, had just staked a large pile of money that had that morning been Stivik’s.

“Yeah, but there’s no point going crazy, jumping at shadows, using muds for counter terrorism.” The four new sligs chuckled but the ones listening to the conversation who had been working for Bescher for a while roared with laughter.

“You tell that to the Queen of Mudos!”

“Queen…?”

“The vykker’s pet,” Gash explained.

“What gets her that title?”

“Having more arrogance than a GlockStar. Should have seen how she treated the boss when she first got here,” The sligs roared with laughter, leaving the four new-comers looking puzzled.

“The dumb gluk was happy to accept her from the vykkers, anything to boost his security! Huh, he was smiling out of a different orifice after actually meeting her!” They laughed again.

“No wonder,” Gash chuckled, “Being brought up by vykkers; they all think themselves the true rulers of Mudos.”

“The vykkers are making an army to send against the Magog Cartel. They’re sick of obeying orders and want a new social structure with vykkers at the top. Our fearless leader is signing us up to play traitors against the Magog Cartel.”

“Huh, shock for them when the terrorists got rid of Vykker’s Labs I bet.”

“Hey, where are you going Stivik?”

“Get a drink,” He grunted and hurried out of the lounge.

F*ck Tilic! He remembered after the fight, waking up and being told Dekas was dead. It was one of the many things he had intended to tell his ex-leader the last time they’d met. The monster the vykkers had released so that they could escape, so that Tilic could escape, had killed one of their pack. Tilic had murdered Dekas, with his decision to help them bring down the Cartel.

Tilic had probably already known by then however, along with most of the things that Stivik had wanted to scream at him. Except for that one thing he’d not been able to say. Odd, how he missed Dekas and the others. He missed the wind, he missed the sun.

“Hey, you’re one of the new guys aren’t ya?”

Stivik looked up. A slig was sauntering down the corridor towards him.

“Chakke,” The slig introduced himself, and offered a cigarette.

“Stivik,” Stivik answered and took it.

“Don’t normally hand them out, but my lighter’s broken,” Chakke explained, holding his own out for Stivik to light. “What’s up with ya then?”

“Nothing. Just had one of those weeks.”

“Ah, one of them!” He chuckled, leaning against the wall beside Stivik. They stood in silence for a while, filling their lungs with tar and the corridor with smoke.

“S’not so bad working here,” Chakke said at length. “Stay out of the way of the big bros, and the High Queen of Mudos – You heard about her yet?”

“Uhuh,” Answered Stivik, flicking the end of the cigarette away.

“Well keep away from her if you can cus she’s a pain where the sun doesn’t shine, and it’s an easy job for good pay.”

“What about the boss? The glukkon?” Stivik asked, and then scolded himself. Always a spy; couldn’t give himself five seconds peace.

“Hardly see him. Just don’t bother him if you do cus he can get pretty irritable these days. No rest for the successful.” Stivik nodded but the clanking of another slig’s pants down the corridor interrupted their conversation. Chakke pushed himself up, swearing. “Supposed to be on night patrol. See you around.”

Stivik watched him scurry off and pushed himself up with a sigh. It didn’t take him long to find a machine selling beer but it needed an employee code to operate it and he wouldn’t receive his until the next morning, so he returned to the lounge empty handed. The conversation was now about gun models which he made himself listen to in case anything suspicious was said regarding his job, but it was a waste of time. He went to bed that night unhappy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tra la la, this chapter contained dirty language and should not have been read by those under the age of 12, Tra la la...

Last edited by Splat; 04-22-2008 at 05:08 PM..
05-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Wings of Fire
Beautiful Bastard

: Dec 2007
: Stafford
: 9,537
Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)

/Has just finished catching up.

This is fantastic I absolutely love your characters and the way they evolve.

Needs moar replies!
“I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics,” Snyder said, a statement he immediately followed by saying, “Also, ‘It looks like a video game.’

05-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Splat

Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

*Emo tears of joy*
Finally a reply!
Thanks wings; now someone's finally read this i shall write the next chapter.

But I think everyone else has forgotten about me!

05-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Moosh da Outlaw
Rabid Fuzzle

: Oct 2007
: Under your bed
: 534
Moosh da Outlaw  (145)Moosh da Outlaw  (145)

*Clings*
NO WE HAVENT.
Keep writing or I shall be forced to beat you with a wet noodle. >:C
05-09-2008, 08:10 AM
arkaznor
Fuzzle

: Dec 2006
: Southeast Asia
: 128
arkaznor  (18)

Great story Splat, I finally got to read all of it.

I can't really think of an actual review at the moment. It's 11:10 for me and I have to be up early tomorrow, and that reply to you in W@RF I just wrote took the last of my brain power for today.

Still, really good.

05-12-2008, 09:06 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

New chapters now or DIE!!! >:-C

Ok just kidding! But srsly, new chapters You leave me craving for more...

============

05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Splat

Wars of the Art, Mod Suvivor Island, Uni work, real life, other writing......

05-13-2008, 12:52 AM
arkaznor
Fuzzle

: Dec 2006
: Southeast Asia
: 128
arkaznor  (18)

:
Wars of the Art, Mod Suvivor Island, Uni work, real life, other writing......
It's ok Splat. We all realize that you have a lot going on, Don't We? Yes we do .

Any way, we would rather wait a while and read another great chapter, rather than a rush job that's only there to satisfy our hunger (which is slowly killing us from the inside).

05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Do I *really* have to get out the whip now??

MORE CHAPTERS!! >:-c

============

05-24-2008, 04:44 AM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

: May 2008
: Location.
: 585
scipionyx  (399)scipionyx  (399)scipionyx  (399)scipionyx  (399)
Happy

YAY!!! I'm new and already addicted to your story it gives me many ideas for drawing!!!
please never stop writing!!!
07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Splat

Sorry, I'm being really slow with updates recently. Dionysia's section didn't go very well, so I'm trying hard to make Stivik's better. It's hard!
But I'm trying, I'm trying. Remember, a long wait means quality!
Basically, when I started writing last year I knew what would happen in these sections, but not how it would happen, but back then I had ages to work it out.
This, unfortunately, hasn't really happened, so I'm left making bits up as I go along.
Mod Survivor Island has ended now, as has Uni, but I'm getting a big heap of real life suddenly, plus I'm spending more and more of my writing time on *shudder* original fiction
However, work recently resumed on this chapter and after much thought last night I came up with a good ending that forwarded the plot well. So some of this is babble but some of it is quality, plot-worthy stuff! I don't want to fall into the trap of filling every chapter with filler babble like I did all those years ago with 'Splat', so I'm taking time to work this out.

And here it is at last!
It has tigers! (well actually it doesn't but never mind...)

Chapter 25

Stivik carried a small, flat black box around with him at all times, dangling from a clip on his belt beside the penknife he had used on the beast the day Tilic had been caught, and a pair of electronically fused grenades (a step up from the smoke grenades he used to carry). Unless one looked closely the box could be mistaken for part of his pants. Anyone who asked Stivik about it would be told ‘It’s some air sensor thing. Some vykkers offered to pay me a few moolah a month to carry it around with me.’

The box was made to be unobtrusive. If one looked very closely they would see that the front was actually a fine wire mesh. Almost unnoticeably, one of the shorter sides was in fact a button that Stivik could easily press without being seen to do so.

On this occasion he was scratching his side and his finger nudged the button. “So you think the boss isn’t trustworthy?”

“Trustworthy, huh!” Grunted the slig, a high-ranking big-bro named Four, “You know anything about this guy? He worms his way into the trust of a bunch of other gluks, steals their ideas and makes ‘em pay to keep doing what they’ve always been doing.” He spat on the floor, “Trustworthy as my ass!”

Choosing not to continue discussing Four’s ass, Stivik feigned concern and asked, “What he like paying us then?”

“Oh, pay’s fine; never cheats us, but you wait till you see him sneaking about. Makes me as uncomfortable as hell. He’s trouble; if it wasn’t for the good pay I wouldn’t still be working here.”

“I heard he’s just worried about people trying to kill him.”

“Like anyone would! For one thing security’s so tight no one could sneak in, and he only picks sligs he trusts, and there are rumours that some of the sligs working here now are assassins who got jobs here to kill him until they realised he paid more than they were earning before!” He guffawed enormously at his own wit. Four was not that popular amongst the other sligs. He had an IQ lower than his pants-size, the temper of a bull scrab, and about the same grasp of language. “Plus apparently if he died the rites to what he makes here would go to the Cartel, and they would probably charge even more than he does.” That seemed likely to Stivik, and it explained why people would spread rumours to discredit him, rather than taking the more satisfying route of good, honest murder. “But he still sneaks about like he’s hiding something. I dunno; I don’t trust him even if he does pay well.”

Stivik nodded as Four lit a lungbuster and leant back against the wall. Realising he wasn’t going to get any more information out of this slig, Stivik carefully pressed the button on the box again, “Well I better get going; I’m supposed to patrol all this zulag in the next half an hour. See you around.” He told the big-bro and left.

In the three days he’d been here he had heard nothing to suggest any truth behind the claims against Bescher, beyond the unproven suspicions of a few of the less intelligent employees. However, it was not impossible that Bescher had managed to keep his activities secret from the brunt of his workforce, and only a select few employees would know anything about it. None of the sligs Stivik had really met so far seemed likely to be helping aid terrorism, willingly or not, but sometimes you couldn’t tell.

Walking across a catwalk overlooking a production line, Stivik eyed the mudokons below, working at the machines, bent over so their backs were to him. That way they wouldn’t know if they were being watched, and most muds wouldn’t dare turn around to check.

All in all this place seemed mostly normal; muds worked, stuff got shipped out and sold, enough moolah came back to pay for supplies and the worker’s salaries. Bescher collected a lot for himself and spent most of his earnings on tightening security.

That was the odd thing about this place. It was like looking at a picture where everything is just the wrong size, so it seems ok at face value, but subconsciously it makes you uncomfortable. There was just that touch too much security here; a few too many sligs compared to the number of muds, lots of guns but not much ammo, electric walls where sliding doors would be more suitable. It was small things, but it made a person feel uneasy; you were constantly on edge, sharing in Bescher’s paranoia; you felt like you were being watched everywhere, which was particularly irritating for Stivik since he was supposed to be spying and was meant to report to the Organisation at least every two days.

Instantly upon that thought he did an instinctual sweep of the area, looking out for security cameras, or perhaps for chinks in the room’s security; he wasn’t sure which.

What he did see made him raise his gun and yell, “Hey, what are you doing up here, Mud?” There was a mudokon on the catwalk! And, oddly, its skin was very dark, which might explain why he hadn’t noticed it before.

“I work up here Slug,” It drawled, casually and deliberately ignoring his threat. He realised then that it was female; damn, probably the experiment he’d been warned against. “You might want to check with your boss before waving that thing around,” She said, lazily gesturing at his gun.

Stivik turned him expression into a sneer, “Oh, you’re the experiment the vykkers dumped here!”

She looked down at him with content, and he noted that she was a few inches taller than the average mudokon, “No.” She said brusquely, “I’m the experiment my vykkers have charged your boss to look after, and he wouldn’t be happy to here any slig had been bothering me.”

She turned and swaggered back the way she had come. Stivik watched her go, thinking black thoughts.

A slap on the back brought him back to reality and he half swung round before realising it was just Chakke. “Hey Stivik, just met the High Queen of Mudos?” He sniggered.

“What, that mud?” Chakke’s expression taunted his temper, “S’nothing a bullet to the head wouldn’t fix for her if I got the chance.”

“Huh, don’t bet on that. If there was a chance to finish her off without the boss knowing you’d have every other slig in this place to compete with, plus a few sligs from other places she’s been I’d bet!”

“Oh? You seem to know a lot about her.”

“What I hear from the others, the vykkers move her around a lot. I bet Bescher will be happier when she’s gone!”

Chakke didn’t seem to worry about the tighter security in this place, or maybe he’d gotten used to it. He was loud, not someone you’d trust with a secret. But on the other hand he could be taken as he looked; he didn’t hide anything about himself, probably because he was so bad at keeping anything quiet, which put Stivik at ease around him.

“Oh? I heard she’d cheeked him or something.”

“Huh. She’s supposed to be here to keep out terrorists or something, but all she does is slink around on her own, annoying the sligs and upsetting the muds. I don’t think she’s done anything useful since the day she came.”

“That’s what happens with muds isn’t it; put ‘em above the law and they become useless.”

Chakke shrugged, “Maybe. I mean they get on ok outside, but in here they’re just trouble-makers, you’re right. You working the rest of today?”

Stivik glanced up at a clock on the wall, “I finish in ten minutes and have the rest of the day off. I’ll probably catch up on some sleep and then go to the bar.”

Chakke nodded, “Might catch you tonight then. I should get going or one of the big-bros will be after me for not doing their work for them.” He grinned and then hurried away.

Stivik finished his patrol, not meeting the mud again, and then headed to the bunks. They were empty at the moment so he sat himself within view of the door, unclipped the box from his pants and flipped open a panel on the back, revealing four flat buttons and three tiny red bulbs, both currently unlit. He pressed the button on the side and, holding the thing close to his mouth, spoke quietly, “Six-Seven-Three-Two-Two. I still haven’t heard any long-term employees repeating the rumours about Bescher that are circulating in the cities. Most of the employees here don’t think he’s dangerous; a few have other thoughts but most, such as the big-bro I spoke to last today, aren’t reliable sources.” In non-spy terms, that meant they were stupider than a slog on laughing gas.

“The factory runs smoothly and what I’ve seen of the accounts seem sound, though Bescher spends a lot on security; money could be leaking from there.” He’d already told them how close security was here. “Some vykkers are keeping a prototype experiment here-” It occurred to him for the first time that he didn’t know the black mud’s name; he could hardly call her the High Queen of Mudos in the official report. He decided to blag it and find out her name as soon as possible in case she turned out to be significant, “A black-skinned female mudokon, information on which should be available on the factory’s records, and if not we should investigate why. She is apparently intended for anti-terrorist security, though this prototype doesn’t seem to do much more than cause Bescher trouble. It seems suspicious that they should attempt using mudokons to fight mudokons.” The Organisation knew about his dislike of vykkers and he didn’t want them to think he was prejudiced in his work, so he didn’t mention them specifically.

“I haven’t yet gotten close to Bescher, though from what I’ve heard, talking with him seems to be out of the question. His office is well-protected with mostly automated security. I shall continue to interview employees and attempt to get closer to him, and also keep an eye on the experiment. Six-Seven-Three-Two-Two concludes.”

He pressed the button on the side again, and then one of the concealed buttons on the back. A bulb lit up to confirm that the day’s recording was being sent, and he closed the back panel and reattached the box to his pants before settling down for an hour’s sleep.

As scouts, Stivik’s pack had taken shifts when it came to drinking; whenever they pulled out the beers two of them would always stay sober in case a situation arose where a perfectly clear head was needed to keep them all alive.

Like so much else from that old life, what had begun as survival tactics had become an inescapable habit. Stivik found he could never drink much when he was around other people drinking. When he was alone, fine, or when he was around other people who weren’t drinking, but in a bar like this where everyone else was waving sobriety a heartfelt farewell he could empty a glass and then lost the flow. In a scrab-infested forest it was useful, but in a social situation, particularly one where he really wanted to drink himself silly, it was a pain.

Glass number 2 had been sitting invisibly in a corner front of him for nearly an hour, almost untouched, while the room got gradually smokier and more crowded. He was good at avoiding notice, or at least repelling company, and he seemed to do it more and more with every passing month. Now though, he drained the glass as best he could, stood up and lumbered over to the bar where a couple of sligs who he was vaguely familiar with were talking and joking.

“Hey,” He grunted, “I met that black mud for the first time today.”

“Oh yeah? She try and bite your tentacles off?” The sligs laughed.

Stivik sat down beside them. “Muds for security; it’s crazy!”

“You tell the vykkers! All vykkers are mad like that!”

“You’d have to be to make a mud act so much like Skillya,” Stivik said, trying to keep the conversation on his track. The other sligs were a little drunk, but not too far gone, so he didn’t want to be too obvious about it.

The other sligs seemed to have decided not to pursue the topic however, and went back to their old conversation. Stivik sat beside them, bored and annoyed, feeling the first tickling effects of the two glasses of beer in the back of his head. He recalled watching Tilic drink glass after glass until his head flopped onto the bar, and decided to buy another beer. Another hour later and his head was beginning to feel heavy when a slap on the back brought him back to dire reality.

“Hey Stivik.” It was Chakke again.

‘Odd, can’t you see I’m trying to drink myself to oblivion here?’ “Hey, how were the big-bros?”

Chakke chuckled, “Easy shift, nothing much happened. By the way, you know they don’t let you sleep in here, and I’m not carrying you back to the bunks!”

Stivik muttered a curse.

“Cheer up Stivik, you get a morning off tomorrow and you’re going to enjoy it, lying in bed totally wrecked, while the other sligs bang about getting ready for their early shifts.”

Stivik swore again. At length he spoke, “The black mud, what was her name?”

“What, you still thinking about her? She’s like that with everyone.”

“But what was her name?” Stivik had a vague feeling he ought to be more subtle than this, but by Odd he couldn’t be bothered.

Chakke, however, assumed Stivik was just drunk (which in actual fact he really was). “Ugh, it was something stupidly long. Dine- Dionizzi, or something like that.”

Stivik grunted, “Odd, I should probably go to bed.”

“Have one more first; it’ll guarantee you’ll sleep through the night.”

Stivik nodded and signalled to the slig behind the bar. Somehow or other he found himself paying for Chakke’s drink as well as his own, but he didn’t seem to care at the time.

One remorseful morning and several days later found Stivik patrolling over the production lines late one evening. The last few days he had done little more of his real job that question a few sligs, but he was working hard to hopefully earn a good reputation with the management.

Time drew on and the mudokons’ shift ended and Stivik and the other sligs herded them off to their bunks before returning to their patrol areas; the late shift didn’t end until an hour after the mudokons had turned in. He was walking over a catwalk over the silent production lines when he saw the black mud leaning against the rail, looking down.

He hadn’t spoken to her since their first clash, but he’d seen her a few times and earlier that day he had seen her walking past with an unfamiliar vykker – one of her creators, he’d assumed.

It was strange seeing her standing there in the darkened room with her near-black skin. She looked very… solitary, like she blended into the scene but didn’t quite fit, she wasn’t apart of this world.

And then he found himself leaning against the rail beside her, lighting a cigarette. “What do you do actually do here?” He asked, “I mean other than annoy the sligs.”

She didn’t look at him, “What do you do here, other than sleep, drink and smoke?” She hissed.

He smiled, looking out over the machines below, “I’m serious; why do vykkers think mudokons would be useful for security? I mean they’ve given us a million and one machines, so why mudokons as well?”

Out of the corner of his eye he saw her turn to give him a scything look, “'Cus a machine is obvious. A terrorist breaks in here or one of the muds tries something and yeah, I’ll go along, up until I push them into a trap or set off an alarm. I’m not one of them.”

Stivik blew out a trail of smoke, “See when you put it like that it actually sounds like a good idea. You exist to betray your own race!”

“I’m loyal to the Cartel!”

A voice in the back of his head scoffed; yeah, and meeps were vicious predators! “Don’t think I’ve ever heard a mud say that before.”

She swore at him in sliggish, making a noise in the back of her throat so accurate to how a slig would sound that Stivik glanced over his shoulder to see if another slig was there and had said the curse.

“Odd, you’re just like every other slig aren’t you? You’re all so stupid!”

Stivik shrugged, “Find me someone who isn’t. Doesn’t matter what you are, ya don’t need brains to do a factory job.”

“Oh, and what were you when not in a factory?”

He grinned at her, “Wow, you’re smart for a stupid person. What’s your name?”

She glared at him, and suspicion edged into her voice when she answered, “Dee-En-Ess-7-Vee-4.”

He grunted a laugh, “I said name, not licence-plate.”

Another glare, “My name is Dionysia.” She said shortly.

“Odd, you were named by vykkers, weren’t you!”

She swore at him again and he laughed and walked away.

He was just heading through the door off of the catwalk when she yelled, “Hey!”

He glanced over his shoulder, “6-7-3-2-2. Usually call myself Stivik though. It’s sliggish; I was named by vykkers too.” He left her standing there.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dionysia's not a mudokon and she's not a slig; she doesn't fit anywhere, which might have something to do with her attitude.
Stivik's an industrial used to the Great Outdoors; he doesn't fit in either, which does have something to do with his attitude.

This is Significant.

Last edited by Splat; 07-02-2008 at 07:04 AM..
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

w00t!!!!!!! FINALLY!
srsly, it turned out very well, I liked mostly the ending and how you described
Dionysia standing in the dark -very imaginable, your story is cool, fanfic like yours are rare, there should be more of them.
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

Great chapter again. I liked the bar scene; a classic method of getting information out of people. Somehow, since I read the chapter yesterday, I was under the impression that beer was involved there. I guess I mixed it up, since there was no mention of a specific drink, as far as I'm aware.

Splat reminded me of my illustration of Krik's conference today. It didn't turn out that great, and that's why I forgot about it, I guess. Anyway, I'll share it with you all. Ink lineart this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	krikcon.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	563.0 
ID:	9491  

07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: England
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

I need to catch up on your fics Splat. I'll start reading this from the top soon, and I'm sure it's all great stuff.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

07-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Splat

Since the bit of information at the beginning of Dionysia's section (chapter 20) was so irrelevant to that phase of the story, I've replaced it with something better and indeed more significant to the plot as a whole.

Thanks for the comments as well by the way guys!

09-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Splat

Since I started Stivik's section I've been suffering, not from writer's block, but just from not knowing what to write. I know where I'm going but not how to get there. I don't want to rush this section because it wouldn't work. However, I think I'm about on track after this new one. I won't promise anything though, partly because it would just be silly judging by my recent record, and also because in a week from now I'm going to be starting my gap year and will have a lot less free time from that point onwards.

Chapter 26

“Hey! Do you have permission to be here?”

Doctor Mehler turned around to see a slig hurrying towards him. “Do I look dangerous?” He asked bluntly.

“Sorry to be suspicious sir, but Director Bescher has made a lot of enemies over the years. I recognise the vykkers here, so I knew you weren’t one of ‘em, and thought I should check.”

Mehler looked annoyed; this slig was either very stupid or unusually clever. “I have Bescher’s permission to be here. I have work to do here.”

“What work? If I may ask.”

“I am here to check up on Dionysia,” He replied pointedly.

“Huh? Oh, the black mud! You one of the vykkers who made her?”

“Yes I am. Now if-”

“Hey, what’s the point of making a mudokon for security work? I mean what can a mud do that a slig can’t?”

Mehler was beginning to dislike the slig. “She is intended for espionage against the mudokons.” He said bluntly. With any luck the slig would be too stupid to know what ‘espionage’ meant, and so he’d shut his mouth and leave.

“Huh, weird idea.” The slig said thoughtfully.

Mehler decided to fight back. “And what is that?” He asked, pointing to a flat box attached to the slig’s pants.

“Huh? Oh, it’s some sensor thing; some other vykkers pay me a little to carry it around; I think it’s for some long experiment they’re doing.”

Mehler looked up as a door opened down the corridor. “Ah, Director Bescher!” Mehler called as the glukkon emerged from the door. Bescher glanced to his side as if looking for an escape route, but then (evidently spotting none) approached the vykker.

“Good morning Dr Mehler,” He said stiffly.

Mehler inclined his head to him, “This slig was just giving me an interrogation.”

Bescher looked at the slig with a surprised expression. The slig decided to explain, “I didn’t know who he was sir, so I was just making sure he had your permission to be here. He was just explaining to me that he owned the black mudokon.”

Bescher nodded to the slig, evidently a little surprised by his efficiency. “You’re new here?”

“Yes sir; this is my third week.”

Bescher nodded again, and then turned to Mehler, instantly forgetting that the slig was there. “Mehler, I’d like to have a word with you about Dionysia.”

Mehler smiled, not exactly pleasantly. “Has she been causing trouble?”

“She has been bothering my sligs!”

Mehler made an odd noise in the back of his throat and went on politely. “She is meant to be part of the security force of a factory; if she is successful it may one day be that there are many mudokons such as her in factories across Mudos; I suggest you tell your sligs to be more… open minded.”

“Open minded? She’s nothing but a trouble-maker!”

The slig left them arguing and slipped off down the corridor. Rounding a corner he bumped into Dionysia herself.

“Oh, it’s you.” She said bluntly.

He leant back, “You seem to have made an impact; the boss is back there arguing with some vykker about you bothering the sligs.”

Her face lit up and she hurried past him and into the corridor beyond, but when she saw the vykker her enthusiasm seemed to dampen. However, she shot him a sly look and marched out into the open. Stivik watched from the corner, smoking a cigarette.

“Dionysia,” Cried Mehler, spotting her first. Bescher grimaced, “How are you? Director Bescher’s just been telling me something rather interesting.”

“Oh? What’s that?” She asked, sounding impressively guiltless.

“Apparently you’ve been bothering his sligs, or so he tells me!” Exclaimed Mehler.

“What? I hardly talk to the sligs! They just ignore me!”

Bescher looked like he was about to begin his accusations, but Mehler spoke over him, “See Bescher, probably the sligs making up stories; I imagine they resent having a mudokon working for security, even one such as Dionysia! That slig I met just now for example seemed unable to understand the concept.”

Mehler turned around, looking for the slig who had accosted him in the corridor, but he ducked round the corner out of sight. If Mehler spotted him and drew him into the argument he would have to choose between his interest in Dionysia and his real job watching Bescher, and if that became the case he would have to stay loyal to the Organisation. He hurried away, catching the first few traces of Bescher’s angry retort.

“Just made contact with Director Bescher for the first time; I think I made a fair impression, though I won’t try and press myself to his attention too soon. From what I hear, he’s more likely to be compliant if I let him come to me.” He touched the button on the side of his recorder to turn it off and returned to his patrol. A few minutes later he caught sight of the vykker and Dionysia walking off in the general direction of the factory’s tiny laboratory. She glanced over her shoulder and spotted him, grinned slyly and mouthed something he couldn’t make out.

Stivik’s real job at Bescher’s Cuisine Chemical Plant had slowed down. Having spoken to more than half of the sligs and learnt all he could expect to learn through employee interviews (which was that the rumours about Bescher’s dirty dealings were almost certainly nothing more than rumours), his next tactic was to keep his head down and his ears open, work hard and get into Bescher’s trust and see where that got him.

Stivik got on fairly well with the other sligs, but he didn’t get close to any of them; they were simply too different from him, brought up in a different world. It was as if he as a separate species. He focussed a little more attention on Dionysia, watching her from a distance.

About a week after the first vykker had come he saw her with another one. A couple of weeks after that he spotted the boss speaking to a third one morning. Bescher sounded stressed and angry, “Krik, it is your mudokon; I suggest you find it yourself.”

“We placed it under your care,” The vykker answered unpleasantly.

Bescher, however, didn’t seem to care. He muttered something about being busy and hopped off.

The vykker glowered at him, before leaving the corridor, walking past Stivik, apparently without noticing the slig at all.

Curiosity piqued, Stivik followed the vykker from a distance as it prowled the factory’s corridors, until they were both surprised by a yell, “Krik!”

A moment later Dionysia came running down an adjoining corridor, “Where have you been? I expected you the last time Mehler was here!”

“Weighed down by work,” The vykker said with a laugh in his voice that to Stivik sounded incredibly unconvincing. Stivik had ducked round a corner, thinking Dionysia would be more likely to notice him that her vykker, but he spared a glance now and saw her excited eyes; she clearly thought more of this one than she did of the last two. “Decrough’s got us working hard on the Project, preparing for the next stage.”

Dionysia rolled her eyes and tutted as Stivik slunk away; undoubtedly, he thought, the next stage of their project would be to create a new, likely more subtle prototype, which would probably spell the end for Dionysia, though she seemed oblivious of the fact.

An hour later his shift changed and he moved to patrol a different section of the factory. This move led his passed the small medical lab near the middle of the building, and passing nearby he heard a low moaning coming from the ajar door. He approached cautiously, until he was close enough to peer through. Dionysia and the vykker were inside; she was lying on a table, curled up, apparently barely conscious, moaning and writhing. The vykker sat nearby, seemingly oblivious to her pain, writing busily in a notebook.

Stivik was surprised to find himself half tempted to march in there and ask the bzstrk what he thought he was doing. Since when had he started caring about the mud? At that thought his senses returned and he took a step back. He glanced to his right and noticed Gash, the slig who had first met him and the other new employees at the station, hurrying towards him from the end of the corridor. “What are you doing?” The higher ranking slig demanded quietly, so as not to attract the vykker’s attention.

Stivik smirked and started walking towards Gash, “Heard the moaning and thought I should check it out. Looks like the High Queen is being tortured by one of her precious vykkers.”

Gash gave a snort to say that Stivik shouldn’t be listening at doors in pursuit of cheap laughs and left.

Gash’s opinion of Stivik dropped then, though it was restored later on when Stivik never bragged about what he had seen.

As far as Stivik was concerned it was nothing to brag about. He made up his mind to talk to the mud again the next time he could.

Night shift was drawing to an end and Stivik was looking forward to having the morning in bed. The muds wouldn’t be awakened until the morning shift began, and as Stivik had reached the end of his patrol he was lounging near the kitchen, hoping to grab something to eat when the slig on duty that morning came to reheat breakfast.

A big-bro Stivik didn’t know by name turned up shortly after him, evidently with the same plan, and after exchanging grunts they both settled back, smoking and lounging.

“Wow, good to see two sligs working hard on keeping the factory safe out here,” Said a voice and Stivik turned and saw Dionysia observing them from the other end of the corridor. She was swaggering slowly towards them.
Stivik didn’t change his relaxed posture; “Finished the patrol; got nothing else to do for the rest of the shift.”

“Hmm, how about do it again? Odd; the muds are better workers than you idiots.”

“Uhuh, but the muds haven’t been awake for 26 hours.”

Stivik was suddenly interrupted by the big-bro who snorted and demanded, “And what are you doing sneaking down here before wake-up, mud?”

“Apparently I’m doing what you get paid for,” She bit back icily. Stivik noted how she called the other mudokons ‘muds’, but didn’t like the word applied to herself, but then hypocrisy was hardly a foreign concept on Mudos.

Dionysia, evidently having had her fill of this conversation, began to swagger away.

“Hey,” Yelled the big-bro, who apparently wasn’t a morning person, “I didn’t say you could go, mud.”

She glanced back at him and gave him the look that all vykkers everywhere reserved for anyone who crossed the final line. “And do I need a slurg’s permission to do my job?”

He snorted and ran at her, raising his gun to smack her, but before he had a chance to swing it, she stepped back and swung at him herself.

She certainly had a mud’s strength; her slap didn’t topple the big-bro like it surely would have done a normal slig, but he stumbled sideways into a wall. Steadying himself, he ran at her and swung again. She dodged beneath his blow and swung her leg up in a kick that caught his chin, throwing his head up. He let out a yell, motored his pants back and brought his gun to bear on her.

“Die, bitch!” He roared but before he could squeeze his trigger a bullet ricocheted off of the side of his gun, throwing off his aim.

He slig turned on Stivik, who had fired the shot, “Mud-lover! What do you think you’re doing?”

Stivik ignored the insult, keeping his cool with the experience of a hundred battles with animals considerably smarter than the big-bro before him. “Saving your job, and likely your life. You kill the mud; who do you think you’ll be more upset? Our paranoid boss or her crazy vykkers?”

The slig glared at him, but knew he was beaten; he’d apparently missed the flicker of doubt and fear in the mud-girl’s face when he’d pointed his gun at her head. He spat at Stivik and lumbered off.

“You certainly have a way with people,” Stivik said sardonically, letting his gun point back down towards the floor. He’d kept it raised until the big-bro was safely round the corner.

Dionysia snorted, leaning back against the wall.

“Where did you learn to fight like that?” He asked.

“I pick things up. Sligs are slow – usually, I mean,” (Stivik recognised the thinly disguised compliment but said nothing), “And big-bros doubly so.”

“A gun’s only as powerful as the finger on the trigger, huh,” He remarked, using an old phrase Dekas had once told them, long ago.

Both of them had their defences up, he recognised. He never spoke to muds, and she’d probably never had a conversation with a slig in her life that didn’t involve swearing.

“Where did you learn to shoot? You never started as a factory slig,” She informed him.

He smiled blithely. “I started as a scout, tracking down animals, muds and recourses out in the wild, but that’s got nothing to do with it. Shooting a gut-hungry animal is as simple as raising the gun and pulling the trigger. I taught myself to shoot like this because it’s the difference between the instinct to swing and the skill to step back.”

She looked at him oddly, genuinely looking at him for the first time. He turned away.

When a couple of sligs arrived and opened up the kitchen he helped himself to a scrabcake and then went to his bunk.

'Everybody was kung-fu fighting...' (sorry)

We're currently in Part 5 of this story; there are going to be nine parts in total, after this one two set more or less during the W@RF RPG and then two set afterwards. (And who will feature in those last two parts? )

Yesterday I wrote the very last chapter of this story; it was just something I'd had planned out carefully in my mind and I thought, stop thinknig about it and get it down. It's helped me finish this chapter up, as well as givinbg me some ideas for the later section. The last word of this story, as it currently stands (and it may get revised between now and when I post it) is 'feathers'.
Mwahahaha.

Now Stivik and Dionysia are getting a little closer, it should get easier to write, so hopefully I might get the next chapter done in less than a month. When Part 5 is done I'll need to take a break anyway to sort out the sections in W@RF, take notes of the events in the RPG, work out what's significant enough to include, add some Oddworld Realism to the more Mary-Suey parts of the RPG, balance characters, iron out the many, many plot holes and so on.

So enjoy it while it lasts! Once I get those notes sorted on paper and in my head we should progress quickly through parts 6 and 7 anyway, so it'll be worth the wait I'm sure.

How long before you all know the faits of Stivik, Krik, Anni and Dionysia? How many will survive till the end of the story?
(Reply! Now!)

Last edited by Splat; 09-07-2008 at 05:14 PM..
09-08-2008, 05:25 AM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

hooray a new chapter ^^

:
so hopefully I might get the next chapter done in less than a month.

in less than a month? that's great!

˙·٠ The Captured Ones curretnly on hold ٠·˙
˙·٠► .The Capturers. curretnly on hold ◄٠·˙
˙·٠ W3-7 ٠·˙
˙·٠ OW-Art Thread ٠·˙

09-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Moosh da Outlaw
Rabid Fuzzle

: Oct 2007
: Under your bed
: 534
Moosh da Outlaw  (145)Moosh da Outlaw  (145)

Cool chapter. I didn't even realize you were continuing this; I thought you'd finished it. Poor, ignorant me. 8C

This is really interesing, learning about the pasts of W@RF characters. Your description style is gorgeous; I wish I would've read/and or replied to this sooner!

Last edited by Moosh da Outlaw; 09-08-2008 at 08:43 AM..
09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Splat

Aw, Moosh thinks something I wrote was gorgeous!
An epic compliment indeed!

Stivik's line, 'I taught myself to shoot like this because it’s the difference between the instinct to swing and the skill to step back' was probably the most thought-about line of the story so far I went back and reread the shooting part of his training, and the section in part 1 where he shoots the crossbreed after Tilic misses it... It was hard justifiying in my own head why Stivik learnt to shoot so well; I had it in feeling but had never put words to it. Then I fitted it into context with Dionysia's fight and the line formed; kept editing words and order until I'd really gotten it right.
It's also relevant to events that will happen in Rupture Farms, which is just a bonus.

I really want to get writing the next chapter now, but it's really, really late (in fact it's actually really really early) and I have to pack tomorrow for leaving home (again).

Last couple of days I've been thinking of a few events in W@RF (prelude to Anni's arrival, Nick and Math leaving, Dionysia meeting Gappiqu and so on) and working out how I'm going to write them. Arnie's going to be somewhat more... Glukkony than he is in the RPG. He's also going to be more firm in his decisions.

10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

Splat, I remember why I loved your fic. I'm onn Chapter 3 and I'm hooked again. Great stuff.

If I could rep you, I would. Unfortunately I apparently repped you too recently to give you rep again.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
GlacierDragon
Super Stingbee

: Apr 2008
: 489
GlacierDragon  (114)GlacierDragon  (114)

Almost done reading this, I've got 3 more chapters to go. Great work, it will be interesting to see what happens in the end.

The chapters are big.

.:FanFictions:.
~The Madness Of Life - On hiatus~
~Shrown - Edited and completed~

11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Splat

It's just under a month!
This is the first chapter in ages that I've proof-read before posting. It was a hard one to write and needed some polishing afterwards; possibly it needs more; I might change and update it sometime in the future.

Anyway, I'll get on with it.
Whole lotta itallics in this one! Not to mention two new sliggish curses, one old sliggish curse and at least two instances of strong language; I guess Stivik was having a rough day. (you have been warned!)

Chapter 27

“How long were you a scout then?”

“Odd, don’t ask… Seven years.” Stivik leant his head back, breathing deep from his cigarette. “Don’t tell anyone else any of this. The story I put on my job application wasn’t completely true; I wanted the job but I doubt Bescher’d accept anyone with a past like mine, paranoid as he is.”

He’d told Dionysia this at least twice before, and now she just ignored him. “What was it like out there? I’ve only been outside around factories and my lab.”

Odd, what a question. What could he tell her: how the space around him made him feel so tiny and yet so significant? How on thinly cloudy nights the stars were more beautiful than all the jewels of the Cartel? How the smell of grass and trees and things growing filled his head until he felt more alive than all the cigarettes and alcohol could ever do? How he longed for an untainted view of the sun?

“Well when things weren’t trying to kill you it was pretty dull. Animals, natives… We’re safer inside.” He glanced at her, felt a twinge or nausea at the thought of talking to her, one of the species who had murdered Stack.

“Is that what made you quit, and come inside?”

'Ugh, like I’d tell a stinking mud something like that!' “I should get back to work; this part of the factory is dead and I’ll get in trouble if I spend too long down here.”

She looked annoyed at being shunned like that, but he ignored it. This was the third time she had stopped him and started a conversation with him herself, and he had no doubt that she’d do it again.

He never really minded, until something reminded him of what she was; it was weird; she could seem so much like a slig when you weren’t looking at her; her voice was slightly rougher than a mud’s, and she spoke like a slig, like a decent one; not the gtrz you got in factories like this. That made him think of his pack again; Odd, they’d feel so betrayed if they knew he was thinking of a mud as he had thought of them! Or Dekas would have at least. The others would probably just be disgusted.

But to be honest, this place was as boring as any other when she wasn’t around, whether they were just talking or she was heckling the other – thicker – sligs. He often saw her with them, and would watch from a distance, jeering with her in his head.

The next time he saw her she was with one of her vykkers again, heading, he assumed, towards the lab, though he only saw them briefly, and from a distance.

Later on, just before his patrol ended he was lounging in a corridor when Bescher came round a corner, flanked by a pair of big-bros. He spotted Stivik immediately and called out, “Hey.”

Stivik pushed himself to attention quickly.

Bescher and his guards hurried over. “Do a job for me. I need to get my vykkers into the lab in an hour and it needs to be set up. Go over there and tell the vykker in there – he’s one of the ones that made the black mud – to get out. My sligs will be up there to set things up in 15 minutes.”

Stivik had to resist the temptation just to blurt out something along the lines of ‘How on Oddworld am I supposed to do that?’ and replied instead with a, “Yes sir!” And went away, cursing under his breath. So much for building a reputation if the boss set him impossible challenges!

He was somewhat relieved therefore as, when he entered the corridor of the lab, he met the vykker he had seen with Dionysia coming away from the lab towards him, pausing to give him a look that seemed to say ‘I know something utterly hilarious which you know nothing about’.

Feeling rather better about the situation, Stivik headed to the lab anyway to check that the vykker hadn’t left a mess. As soon as he walked through the door, however, he saw Dionysia lying on a table, unconscious, curled up in a foetal position, groaning lightly.

“Dionysia?” He asked cautiously, approaching her. She gave no reply and he cursed mentally; in ten minutes there would be a bunch of sligs arriving at this room who hated the mud on the table, who could quite easily inject her with something nasty and blame it on the vykker who had just left.

He reached the table she was lying on and seeing her up close didn’t even bother trying to shake her awake. Whatever the idiot vykker had done it would keep her down for hours.

Cursing aloud this time, he dragged her off of the table and slung her over his shoulder before hurrying out of the lab. His shift ended in five minutes so no one ought to notice if he vanished for a few hours.

Trying to avoid any busier passages and any places he expected to find people at this time of day, he carried her towards sector six of the factory, which was currently not being used. He managed it without being seen and with about 30 seconds before the shifts changed and all the sligs started moving about to different parts of the factory, and quickly worked the slig voicelock that shut off the disused sector.

Once inside, with the door closed behind him, he headed out into the main production area, huge, dark and almost silent except for the constant, otherworldly whirr of some air recycling machinery.

The sector was not damaged, but of the six sectors in the factory, two were always shut down, one for cleaning and one just to give the machinery a rest, or to use if another had a malfunction. They cycled so that every sector had a break each year.

Stivik found his way to a small room at the back of the production lines containing a few crates of spare machine parts. He pushed a few of the boxes that were roughly the same height together, and put Dionysia onto them, and then wedged a pipe into the door to keep it open so he would hear anyone approaching, and settled down to wait.

It was cold; not powerfully, but enough so that his breath was just visible in the air. It was the sort of chill that, after you stayed still for a while, started freezing your bones.

He lit himself a cigarette and paced to the door. The production lines seemed unnaturally still, and the whole place was dark, illuminated barely by pale backup lights which made a shadow fall from everything.

He could here the mud breathing behind him. He slumped back against the wall.

Once he and Stack had been working together, hunting something or other. Things had gone wrong, Stack was unconscious and injured and he’d radioed Tilic who had told him to stay where he was until they reached him. He’d been hiding in the back of a narrow cave.

How long ago was that? How old had he been? Not much older than two years anyway; not far out of basic training, and young enough to still make his pants jerk when he walked. He’d waited for hours for Tilic and Burn to get there. He hadn’t known if Stack would survive, if he’d treated him properly with his half-forgotten knowledge of first aid.

He’d stood at the entrance of the cave, waiting, watching, for any sign of rescue, or of more trouble. The remains of the paramite that had almost killed Stack were on the ground, a bloody mess with all the bullets he’d put into it. He’d panicked; all that time he’d spent training himself down the drain. Just shot at the thing madly until it was flat on the ground and most of its guts were on the outside.

He’d been lucky it wasn’t him hurt, or killed, but then that was Stack; he was always one to jump a bullet.

When Tilic had finally arrived the moon was high; the sun had been out when they’d been attacked.

Tilic had told him to guard the entrance with Burn. Dekas and Braz had gone to retrieve the mugs and bring them.

Burn hadn’t been much use then, having never been trained properly, but even though he was more nervous that Stivik himself, he was a comfort. When Tilic had checked over Stack he told them, “He’ll be alright, but we’ll have to get him back to civilisation soon. The job’s off for now. You bandaged him well Stivik; good job.” He hadn’t mentioned the mess he’d made of the kill.

Stivik put his head back against the wall, his cigarette between his tentacles, and the otherworldly whirr of the ventilation system in his ears. Odd, he’d hated that wait, but he’d go back there right now if he could. If they’d known, in two years Stack would be murdered by Grhzz muds; in six, Tilic would turn traitor, Dekas would die, Stivik would give up his freedom for…

Ugh, what a mess he’d made of everything! What the Hell was worth this? He kicked the nearest crate, a small one, which went skittering across the floor, its contents rattling, and for a while he vented his anger, kicking the box around the room, leaving cracks and dents in the wood and probably wrecking whatever was inside.

Eventually he flopped back against the wall as the somewhat abused box slid to a halt in a shadowy corner. A glance showed him the mud wasn’t awake yet. He could probably leave her here and head off to the lounge or something, but he didn’t. He stood where he was, letting his pulse return to normal, his breathing slow down. How long had he been back here now? Odd if he knew, but he wasn’t working for the rest of the day so it hardly mattered.

He let his body switch off and focussed just on what he could hear, filtering out the background noise and listening for any change or disturbance. He rolled forward off of the wall, resting easily in his pants.

An hour later he heard the change in Dionysia’s breathing. Five minutes passed before she spoke, “We’re in a closed sector?”

“Yes.”

He heard her body move. “What happened?”

He turned towards her. She had pushed herself up onto her arms. Her eyes where shadowed and he wondered how much pain she was still in.

“The bzstrk vykker left you unconscious in the lab ten minutes before a pair of sligs came to clean it for Bescher. I’m betting they wouldn’t have hesitated to kill you and blame it on the vykker if the thought had crossed their minds. Bescher wouldn’t believe them, but he’d back them up.”

She said nothing. After a minute Stivik blurted out, “What did he do to you?”

She turned away, defensively. “Nothing unusual.”

“Nothing unusual? He almost killed you!”

“Well if he’d known your hyper violent sligs were coming he wouldn’t have left me there! Why didn’t you tell him?”

He glowered at her, “’Cus I didn’t know the psychopath had left you there unconscious! Do you know how long it’s been since I found you?”

She shrugged, “Three hours?”

He stared at her for a moment. “Odd, how often does he do these things?”

She glared at him defensively. How long had it taken them to brainwash her like this, he wondered.

“He knows what he’s doing.”

He shook his head and turned back towards the door.

“Where are you going?”

“You’re awake now. I’ll leave you to whatever it is you do.”

He had stepped out into the production lines before she called him, “Stivik.”

He held the door open with his foot and listened.

“You’re misjudging him; he’s not like that.”

He paused before answering. “I don’t trust vykkers, as a rule. Call it life experience. But either way I saw the expression on his face when he left you in there, like he’d just stolen some great prize and no one had realised yet; you can’t tell me he didn’t enjoy whatever he did to you.”

“He’s a vykker; they like science and medicine,” She said, but to him it sounded a feeble excuse and he wondered how far she believed it herself.

He stood there silently for a while, silhouetted in the dark, framed in the doorway. She didn’t mention the vykkers again and he was about to leave when she spoke, “What happened to your arm, Stivik?”

He glanced reflexively at himself, taking in for the millionth time since the bandage had come off the mangled scar over his upper left arm.

“Old, old injury. A long story,” He replied, raising his eyes to look in her direction.

She was now sat up on the edge of the crate, her legs resting heavily on the ground. “I don’t intend to go anywhere for a while,” She told him pointedly. Her eyes were still dulled.

He stood in the door for a while, unmoving. At last however, he stepped back inside the smaller room, kicking aside his make-shift doorstop and letting it swing closed. “Back when I was scouting,” He said flatly, as if reporting on the weather, “It was the last job we did. I mean, as the team we were. We were working for some vykkers at a lab they had in the middle of nowhere. After being there for a couple of weeks, Tilic, our leader, told us that the vykkers were planning on turning on the Cartel, and he had agreed to join them.” He swore in sliggish, “Grand ideals, equality, fluffy animals, the same old story. We couldn’t let them go through with it so we had to tell the Cartel. We turned our own leader in to be killed… Shit;” The emotion came back into his voice suddenly, “I can’t explain what that was like.”

“You don’t have to,” Dionysia said softly. He glanced at her.

“You don’t understand. These weren’t your normal, stupid sligs. We had to think if we were going to live, and they were all incredible guys. I’d put my life in their hands any day, for anything. The industrial life doesn’t encourage that sort of relationship, but we were closer than you can think… Then Tilic betrayed us. I…” His voice failed and he stayed silent, not trusting himself to speak.

Dionysia waited.

Perhaps minutes passed; he wasn’t facing her anymore. “You know what the f**king stupidest thing about it all was? For all I hated it out there, I loved those guys; I would have stayed with them for… But Tilic… We caught him alive. He was taken in, he would have been sent to Skillya; you couldn’t imagine what that would mean for him.”

“Tortured, humiliated, cooked alive and eaten.”

He met her eyes again.

She explained; “Krik worked for her once, a long time ago; I know a fair bit about her from his stories.”

So her vykker had worked for the slig Queen? He thought of the box on his leg and how his bosses could use that information and nearly screamed in frustration; he wanted to hurl that thing across the room! He wanted to run from this stupid spying job and never, ever think of it again.

Maybe that was what helped him tell her, “After the fight against the vykkers – we helped, the five of us left in the pack – the Cartel said they wanted me to do a job for them. I would have refused, but… They said, if I did it, they’d let Tilic have a decent death, away from Skillya. Something painless and private. Hell, I brought Tilic in, but I couldn’t let Skillya have him.”

“So you gave up scouting to save him from Skillya?”

He gave her another look, and then turned his face away, “Like I said, we were close. I thought when he betrayed us I could leave him to what he deserved (and he did deserve it!); I thought I could stop thinking of him as part of the pack, but when I thought about what would happen, I couldn’t let him die like that. He was still my brother, even if he’d turned on us, even when his decision killed another of our pack.”

She gave him a moment before asking, “What job did the Cartel give you?”

“…Hell, it doesn’t matter. After a week I felt like quitting. I decided to do the job for as short a time as they’d let me. I found out a few months later that I’d been pretty much banned from ever going back to scouting, though.” That had been the worst thing; they’d trapped him, they’d given him nothing to go back to.

After a year, when his original contract had ended, he had finally decided not to leave, because without spying and what with being banned from scouting, his only available option would be to become a normal guard, and he couldn’t bear to even consider doing that.

“You got the scar in the battle with the vykkers?”

He nodded.

“What happened to Tilic?”

“Lethal injection by some vykker. I didn’t see it. Grhzz.”

He walked away, leaving her there. She didn’t leave that dark room until well into the night.

Stivik gave up scouting to save Tilic from Skillya's oven??
Yes, this was supposed to be a revelation, so I hope none of you knew it already, though I guess you may have worked it out.
Seriously, post and tell me if that 'revelation' impacted upon you at all. I tried to put power into it, but only you can tell me if it worked! I'm really not sure if it was effective!

Also, what did you think of the chapter in general? Did you think it flowed well? Was it too rushed, too disjointed? I'm really unsure about this one so LET ME KNOW YOUR HONEST OPINION!!! Please!!! (That includes you Dripik! )
It was a significant chapter for Stivik, but it was also an important one for Dionysia; it starts her realising that there's more to the world than what's under her nose; everything is not hunky dorey. Hopefully their relationship will start moving more quickly now. Some W@RFers may know what's in store for Dionysia and Stivik; don't ruin the surprise for anyone; just sit back and enjoy the show.

In other news, during the last month I've also written a chapter of this story which will occur much later on, after W@RF in fact. It's a very important bit and was very challenging to write, but I liked it and am looking forward to posting it.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Really really give me some criticism in this and let me know your true opinion. Even you Dripik!
Ciao (hope I spelled that right or I'm gonna look a right twit.)

Last edited by Splat; 11-10-2008 at 03:25 PM..
11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

Happy

ok first of all ...

*___* this chapter is really great and perhaps even one of my favorites in the whole story and the way you describe everything is still awesome.

I liked the second part better when he thinks of the past and that it turned out that he actually saved Tillic from Skillya, I really was waiting for something like that.

But the first part could fit a little bit better to the second one... though I like that it begins with that question of Dionysia (I don't know probably this is just me)

but all in all it is an excellent chapter!

˙·٠ W3-7 ٠·˙
˙·٠ OW-Art Thread ٠·˙

12-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Splat

Update:
Just to let you know I'm still breathing. These chapters have been pretty hard to write, and after the last one I was just dead on ideas. I wasn't happy with the way I was showing events and I didn't know where I was going.
I now have about half of the next chapter written and I'm quite happy with it. I'm also thinking of shifting perspective over to Dionysia for a while which might help things move, but I'm not entirely sure on that count yet. There'll probably be only two or three more chapters of Stivik and Dionysia before we move on to the next part, which should be easier to write (and hopefully quicker )
The shadow of Rupture Farms looms on the horizon.

12-15-2008, 08:33 AM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

Happy

8D yay it lives ...still !!!

weeee this whole story is just so awesome, I'm going to read it again , the first part was my favorite one anyway.
and I'm looking forward to read everything from Dionysias perspective, it sure will be interresting

I would do some fanart for this, but i'm too busy with other stuff right now, but one day I'll make fanart for this!

YAY for the Despicable! x3

˙·٠ W3-7 ٠·˙
˙·٠ OW-Art Thread ٠·˙

01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Splat

Finally done! And I'm so sorry it took so long!
These chapters are really sucking me dry, but when they're done things should hopefully go smoother for a long while. It will be sort of a milestone in the story when this part is over as it'll be the end of sections set before the RPG where these characters came from.
But we are not there yet!

Chapter 28

“And so the mud takes another bite and says, ‘Yup, this definitely tastes familiar’, and the last mud answers, ‘Oh, anyone I know?’”

The four sligs burst out laughing, “How do you remember these?” Twelve asked.

“Oh, I got the right sort of memory, I guess.” Chakke answered, leaning forwards against the safety rail to look down on the muds below. “Hey, does that look like trouble to you?”

Stivik leaned forward, and looked where Chakke was pointing, “Nothing serious.” A couple of the muds were yelling at each other; one of their bowls was upturned. “Got any more, Chakke?”

“Oh, so you like the jokes about muds?” Chill asked suddenly, accusatorily.

Stivik glanced at him and did the Sliggish gesture equivalent to rolling the eyes, “Odd, that stupid big-bro been talking again?”

Twelve and Chill where suddenly glaring. Chakke looked awkward.

“Yes, I stopped him shooting the black mud; only so he wouldn’t get shot himself by the boss. It’s not complicated. If I humiliated him it’s no more than he was humiliating himself.”

The whole thing would have been forgotten ages ago if some other rat of a slig hadn’t been hiding somewhere and watching; if he hadn’t said anything, the big-bro probably wouldn’t have had the courage to tell anyone what had happened, and now Stivik had the reputation of being a mud-lover, which was about as far from the truth as was possible.

“I heard you were talking to the mud afterwards,” Twelve put in.

“Only to tell it what I just told you. Tell me one other thing I’ve done that says I’m a mud-lover. Tell me how many times I’ve told you I hate their race; one of my friends was murdered by a bunch of them. You think I could pal up with them after that?”

“You’ve told us enough times, Stivik,” Chakke said quietly in a carefully reasonable tone that made Stivik snort a sliggish curse under his breath and turn away from them.

He found himself leaning on the handrail, looking down on the cafeteria. “Oh grhzz!”

During their argument the fight between the two muds had escalated into a significant brawl. As the other sligs turned to look he fired his gun into the air, hoping to get the muds’ attentions, but they were too excited to notice. “Let’s get down there!” He barked at the other sligs and ran down the stairs.

The two muds who had started the fight were wrestling on top of a table but half the other muds had either joined in or had gathered round to watch or cheer on their chosen champion. A moment later the four sligs were using their guns to batter their way through the spectators to get closer to the fighters.

Chakke was yelling, “Sit down! Sit ON THE FLOOR!” Though most of the muds didn’t respond, the biggest effect was that Chill tripped over one of the muds on the ground.

Stivik was ignoring most of this, though. He reached a mud who was throwing tin bowls into the fray and hit him on the side of the head so hard that he fell over and didn’t get up for several minutes.

As the other sligs battered there way through the crowd, he knocked a mud off of a chair it was standing on and scrambled onto it himself, using it as a stepping stone to climb up onto a table, while cursing the vykkers for failing to design decent pants for clambering over obstacles like this. The table was crowded with muds, some straining to watch the fight, others getting aside. He pushed a couple out of the way to get on and then started firing his gun at their feet to clear them away. They leapt off of the table, most on the side away from the fight, where there was more room to land. With space to stand still, Stivik aimed his gun at the two muds in the centre of the brawl.

Chakke was yelling at him, “Don’t try it! You’ll kill the wrong ones!”

“Why didn’t you tell me you could shoot like that?”
“Why, can’t everybody?”

He fired, twice.

Twelve’s hands were trembling as he grabbed the first-aid kit at the bottom of the stairs to the catwalk.

“I swear, no one on Oddworld could have made that shot!”

The muds had fallen back, making the second run to the centre of the cafeteria so much easier than the last. Level-headed Chakke was forcing them into seats or onto the grounds, picking out the fighters, the injured. He was pale, like he’d seen a corpse get up and walk around a room. Twelve knew he couldn’t look any better.

“I mean all of the muds were jumping all over the place; the two on the table were flying back and forth, and then bang; first one got it in the arm and bang, second in the side. I checked ‘em out myself; it looked grisly, but it was nothing but a torn muscle and a couple of cracked ribs.”

He reached the two muds, lying, bleeding on the tabletop. A moment later his fingers were feeling in the bloody wound on one of the mudokons. His other hand was fiddling with the clasp on the first-aid kit even as he checked the other mud.

“And Stivik was standing up there barking orders like he did this every day, as if making impossible shots were as natural as breathing.”

Stivik had been in his fair share of glukkons’ offices over the years and he had no problems keeping his cool in this one. There were no windows but a pair of fake candelabra sitting on the mantelpiece behind the desk cast orange-yellow light around the room. A mirror hung between them, reflecting the back of Bescher’s head as he sat in his chair. The desk had a look of barely contained chaos and the floor was carpeted.

“You handled yourself well today, Stivik.”

Stivik kept his mouth shut.

“What made you take charge of the situation? There were two other sligs down there of a higher position than you.”

“I was first down there, sir. I was closer to the action sooner.”

“And you decided to take a risky shot at the mudokons that could easily have resulted in casualties, panic, even rebellion against the four of you there?”

‘Grhzz.’ “I didn’t intend on missing, sir.”

Bescher was silent for nearly a minute. “I’ll be reassigning some of your shifts. Expect a new schedule tomorrow. You can leave, now.”
Stivik left the office.

Was this a good or a bad result, he wondered as he walked away towards the slig’s bunks. Was he being rewarded for his action or punished for his daring? Bescher had been deliberately vague, probably hadn’t made his own mind up yet. Odd, glukkons made his head ache!

Either way he’d put off reporting to the Cartel till he knew. Hell, if he was in trouble he’d put off reporting till Judgement Day!

The bunks were almost empty, save a couple of sligs sleeping off their late shifts. Stivik slipped onto his bed, pulled a folded sheet of paper out from under the mattress flattened it out in front of him, lying down to mask it with his body, so anyone seeing him would think he was napping. He’d received it this morning, hadn’t had a chance to read it before now.
Dr William Krik.

(A)
.......Species: _Vykker
...........Age: _73
..Certificates: _Qualified biologist, geneticist, surgeon grade 2

(B)
.Past offences: _Conspiracy against slig Queen
.......Details: _[Date] Convicted after being caught taking blood samples from Queen Skillya[c], and injecting same with manufactured chemical injection(F). Punishment administered by Vykkers Council, ongoing.

“After the incident I was interviewed by Bescher. He seems to have been impressed by the performance as he’s reassigned me to several, more important shifts; busier times in more dangerous areas of the factory. Hopefully this will allow me to work closer into his trust. I-”

Stivik stopped his message abruptly when the door at the end of the room clanked open and a couple of muds walked in, followed by a slig. Stivik didn’t stick around but wandered out of the room into the production line beyond.

It was a small room, one of several that he and another slig were guarding. At the moment there was no one else on the catwalk. The muds below were guarded by greeters so they were unlikely to start anything. Certainly they had learnt by now not to look up and see if there were any guards above. Bad things happened to those who did.

He leant over the rail and lit a cigarette automatically. Greeters chattered in their high-pitched voices and giggled at one another; the machinery growled incessantly and the muds kept quiet. Odd, he longed for silence. People in factories seemed to catch noise from the machinery; no one knew how to shut up. No one knew what real quiet was like.

“Hey, hero.” He almost groaned at the voice.

“You know if any other sligs come in here I’ll have to chase you off.”

Dionysia gave a contemptuous snort, sauntered over and leant on the rail beside him. He looked the other way.

“I heard about the awesome victory you won over the rebelling slaves in the cafeteria.”

Odd, she was talking like a slig again. He wasn’t in the mood for her; the way she acted made him feel sick.

“The glukkon was impressed if no one else.”

“It was nothing unusual,” He answered drily.

“Right, you live in a world where shooting moving targets across a room full of seething muds is a daily chore.”

Stivik swore aggressively and flicked away his cigarette. It joined the rest of the trash on the production-lines floor. He turned away from her.

“Odd Stivik, what’s wrong with you?” She demanded and grabbed his shoulder.

He reacted almost (almost) without thinking; he twisted, raising his gun and brought it smacking down on the side of her head. She shrieked as the power of the blow sent her reeling sideways, flying into the handrail. She threw out a hand to stop herself overbalancing a dropping over the wrong side, and then latched a hand to the side of her head. Blood was running from where he had hit her.

“YOU BASTARD!” She screamed; Stivik was storming away from her, ignoring her shouts, “YOU GTRZ, I’LL-”

It was too much to hear her curse in his language, “STOP ACTING LIKE YOU’RE ONE OF US!” He roared, spinning around to face her, “GET IT THROUGH YOU’RE HEAD; YOU’RE MUD, YOU’RE NOTHING, YOU’RE FILTHY, MINDLESS, SAVAGE! STOP PRETENDING YOU’RE NOT ONE OF THEM!”

Blood was roaring through his head as he ran from the room. She had fallen silent.

It was dark, several days later. His new night shift had just begun and he had convinced someone with the next day off to buy him a beer before he had begun his patrol. The bottle hung half-empty in his hand as he slouched his way through corridors.

He had surprised everyone with his bad mood these last few days; they had expected him to be happy after his unofficial promotion. Naturally none of them knew what had caused his ill temper.

He ran into her that night, for the first time since the argument. He saw her coming towards him slowly and gripped his gun. He couldn’t make out her expression in the poor light, and the tone of her voice was lifeless, “I’m not one of them. I look like one maybe, but I’m different.”

She hurried away without another word. He made no effort to follow.

The catwalks over most of the production rooms in the factory served three purposes; to allow people to walk through the rooms without having to pass close to the stinking, sometimes dangerous machinery, to allow guards a better position to observe the areas below, and to create a physical barrier between sligs and mudokons to deter the sligs from beating them, which was a discouraged pastime in the current climate.

Today, it wasn’t working.

“Clean it up, Mud!” Roared Stivik angrily and struck the mudokon so hard that he was thrown across the wet floor, knocking over his bucket and increasing the mess. Stivik hit him again and again, the heat of the machines and the physical exertion making sweat run down his neck, his muscles aching from the repetitive motions.

Eventually he walked away, leaving the battered slave to mop up the oily water. “You ghrzz better be done when I get back.”

Down here, the noises of the machines combined into an unending roar that pounded the ears and drove out most other sounds, drove out most thoughts. Stivik was ready to let his pent-up anger steer him for a while longer when he happened to glance up.

She was standing up there, on the catwalk, yelling at someone he couldn’t see for the machinery, but it was probably Chakke as the two of them were patrolling the same area. Every few seconds her eyes glanced back down at Stivik, however. He felt rage build up in his chest and his hand clamp around the end of his gun and with some difficulty resisted the urge to shoot her down. He stormed out of the production lines.

Dionysia sent a last scything remark at the stupid slig who was yelling at her and swaggered away. Her heart was beating fast, but not entirely from anger.

A few hours later, she sat alone in her own tiny room that Mehler had demanded Bescher grant her. She was on her bed, the back to the wall and her knees pulled up. Her expression was somewhere between anger and misery. In her hands were two beautiful silver rings which she was toying with broodingly.

It was strange how you never missed anything until after you’d had it. She had always been reasonably content in the factories, at least after she had gotten over the first shock of being let alone, and as long as the vykkers kept coming to check up on her. The last had been Dachau, which was annoying; he had barely looked at her since his gift of the rings had failed to win her over. They shared a mutual hatred.

As for sligs, she didn’t particularly like them; they were stupid, annoying and the only pleasure they gave her was what she achieved from tormenting them.

But still, she had valued Stivik’s friendship, not liked se valued the vykkers but something else, something she didn’t know the words for. He was, she guessed, like her, even if he’d refused to recognise it himself.

Gtrz, better to never have had something than to have lost it,” She muttered to herself, bitterly, wishing the crushing feeling in her stomach would go away. She recognised loneliness at least; it was when Dachau had stitched her lips, and when Krik had made her take those horrible aging drugs that had made the world seem sharper and her head seem full of mist. It was when Mehler had first left her alone in a factory, and it was every time Stivik had looked at her and cringed or winced or pulled away like she was some poisonous worm and the sight of her made her sick.

She flattened her face against her mattress and tried to stop her shoulders from shaking. The rings were clenched so hard in her right hand that it hurt.

When she managed to control herself, she sat up and pressed her forehead against the cool metal wall. She thought of what she had seen today, and before.

All the sligs beat muds; it was a part of life. They did it for fun, she guessed; it certainly wasn’t only when they deserved it. Except for Stivik though; he beat the muds as if they owed him something, as if they had all done him some personal wrong. The look on his face when he dug into them was almost scary. Why did he think they deserved punishment so much? What particular personal wrong had they done him? Something to do with the other slig, Tilic?

She knew she had to know, and she would have to ask him, because now that she had had his friendship, it was painful to be without it. She missed him.

Really hoping the next chapter won't be so long in coming.
Anyway, reply!

Last edited by Splat; 05-01-2010 at 04:42 PM..
01-17-2009, 01:06 PM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

great chapter ^^ although it was a little ...short xD I hope the next one will come soon

˙·٠ W3-7 ٠·˙
˙·٠ OW-Art Thread ٠·˙

02-02-2009, 11:02 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

Finally managed to catch up with the story. T'was enjoyable. The 'revelation' part itself wasn't exactly shocking for me for some reason... I probably thought that it was already mentioned beforehand. But Stivik's violent move in the latest one was more like it. Rather unexpected.

This reminds me that I should update The Robotic Guard as well... RG deserves a proper background story...

04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Splat

I cannot justify the four-month wait between this chapter and the last. All I can say is that this section has been one of the most emotional, and one of the hardest to write, coupled with me now having an actual (if voluntary) job and much less free time than I once did.

It is the last of this section, however, and will just about wrap things up for Stivik and Dionysia for the time being. Hopefully things will be easier after this, though I'm probabylg going to have to spend a lot of time reading old 'W@RF' threads from now on.

Tally-ho!

Chapter 29

The crushing feeling in Dionysia’s stomach gave an agonizing twinge when she saw Mehler walking towards her a few days later and she had to struggle to stop herself from frowning.

Something must have shown on her face, however, because the first thing Mehler said was, “You were hoping it would be Krik who came to see you?”

Yes she had, but she shrugged and looked away.

Mehler paused for a few seconds before saying, “Come on. We’ll go to the lab now and get this week’s tests out of the way first. How have you been feeling recently?”

“Fine.” That was one good thing at least; tests with Mehler were never as painful as with Krik. Even so, she wished that he had come this week. She wanted to be fawned over. She felt utterly miserable.

Mehler led the way to the lab, Dionysia lagging behind slightly. When they arrived he had her sit down and got to work with pills and injections.

“Is something upsetting you, Dionysia?” He asked as he got to work.

“No.”

He glanced at her and turned back to his work.

“Dionysia, what is the standard radio transmission wavelength for reporting terrorist activity?”

She swore quietly; he was going to make her go through her stupid lessons? For about 15 minutes he quizzed her as she dully rolled off answers, listening to his corrections and comments only just enough to absorb the information into the back of her mind.

As he gave her the last injection he’d laid out, he asked her, “What signs can you look for to spot a liar?”

“Body movements and eye movements, eye contact, pupil dilation, the length of time taken to answer a question, voice tone, aggression…” She trailed off.

Mehler nodded, “Is something upsetting you, Dionysia?”

“I said, no!”

A few seconds passed before she swore under her breath.

Mehler sank himself into a chair opposite hers, “What is it?”

She stared at the far wall as she answered quietly, “Brzstrk sligs.”

“Dionysia-” He began.

“What?” She snapped.

He glared at her, “Remember who you’re talking to.”

She glared back, and then asked in a voice so sugary it was poisonous, “Yes?”

He paused a moment to rein in his temper, “You were created to cooperate with sligs. How can you expect to achieve your purpose if you don’t work with the currently existing security?”

“What use are they supposed to be to me? They’re all idiots.”

“They’re here for the same reason as you, Dion.”

She answered him icily, “None of them are anything like me!”

Then she realised that what she had just said wasn’t correct.

She caught Stivik when he was just starting his night shift a few days later. She wanted him alone, and when he was starting work instead of finishing it.

“Stivik.”

He was at the far end of a corridor. He turned quickly when he heard her, and then growled, “What do you want?”

“I want to know why you hate muds. The other sligs just hit them for fun, because they think it makes them special. You hit them like they owe you something, like they’ve done you some great wrong. What is it?”

He glared at her appearance, anger flaring instantly, “Why should I tell you anything?”

She took a deep breath, “Because we’re the same.”

He half raised his gun, shaking in anger, “You bitch! I’m-”

“There’s no one else like us, Stivik, in this factory, or anywhere. We’re both alone. Neither of us has anyone.”

He was silent.

Worlds collided while they stood there, facing off with each other.

Eventually he spoke bitterly, “All you muds as the same.”

“I’m not a mud,” She answered automatically.

He smirked, “In you’re head, maybe.”

She shook her head. “The vykkers made me different. I’m not like them.”

He stared at her and then he turned away and gave a derisive snort, at vykkers or at her?

“Muds are savage murderers. They deserve what they get.”

She waited. After nearly a minute he went on, his back to her. “Five to one. Does that make you special, that you can fight someone who wasn’t going anywhere close to you, wasn’t expecting or looking for trouble, when you outnumber them that much? Cowardly bastards sneaking up on us. Tilic was a good leader, made sure we got away – two of us, only a year of experience each – and he stayed behind to save the others, Burn and Stack. He knew Stack could take care of himself but Burn was useless when things got bad. He was never trained properly as a scout.”

“He got killed - Burn?” Dionysia asked quietly.

Stivik paused. “No. Stack protected him as long as he could, but they shot Stack down and smashed him with their clubs till there was nothing left of him but blood-stained dirt…” With a note of vicious triumph he added, “Tilic saved Burn from out of their hands.”

“Stivik-”

He turned to her and snarled, “They’re all the same inside. Terrorists too; they all go on about freedom and fairness and grhzz like they’re somehow better than us, but how many sligs have been murdered by terrorists, by Abe? How many have had their bodies taken over and have been screaming in their heads as he tears them apart?! What makes them righteous? What makes them so holy when they’re as quick as us to commit murders worse than ours, to turn brother against brother?”

She stared at him, hurting inside and trembling and wanting to tell him that sligs were no better, that they murdered for fun and gave no thought for others. It would be like talking to a scrab; it would not understand and would only try and attack her.

There was nothing she could say to him. She could see the scars of healed spooce wounds on his skin. Had those wounds come in the battle that had killed Stack?

He sneered at her, “Reality hurts, doesn’t it?”

She ran away from him.

It was a few days later, and for once, he tracked her down.

She was in the closed sector where he had taken her the time that seemed ages ago, that he had saved her from the lab. She was alone, brooding, sat on a crate with her back against a wall. She looked around sharply when he entered but when she recognised him she lowered her gaze.

He sauntered over, leant against a wall beside her and lit a cigarette. “So what makes you so different? What makes you not like them?”

She ignored him.

He snorted. “You are like them, aren’t you? You’re as arrogant as any terrorist.”

“Huh. No mud is as arrogant as any slig.”

He paused, “That’s what it is isn’t it? Those gtrz vykkers made you from bits of slig, didn’t they?”

“Oh please, do you think they butchered a bunch of sligs and sowed them onto me? They’re a little more advanced than that.”

“So I’m right; they mixed up slig and mud DNA and cooked up the result? Ugh!”

“I CAN’T HELP WHAT I AM!” She yelled, her temper rising.

He hesitated. “Grhzz.”

She stood up to walk away.

She was nearly at the door when he called after her, “Dionysia.”

She stopped.

“Why? Why would they make something like-”

She turned with a smirk. “Something like me?” He waited. She tossed her head derisively, “Because they’re expecting the arrogant terrorists to make the same mistake as you, Stivik. They think they’ll be so blind that they can’t tell the difference between a mud and,” She put on an innocent voice, “Lovely little me.” She cackled, suddenly.

He shook his head slowly, “What are you?”

“I’m the same as you, Stivik. A freak in the system.”

“No slig is like you!”

She sniggered and walked to the door.

“Oh, my Odd,” He murmured suddenly, just loud enough for her to hear, and something in his voice stopped her in her tracks.

“What?”

“You are though, aren’t you?”

“WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?”

“That vykker you worship; he was arrested when he was working for Skillya! ‘Cause he took something from her, didn’t he? He took her blood. He made you.”

She was frozen on the spot, breathing hard, her heart thumping so heavily her body seemed to shake with every beat.

“That’s right isn’t it? They made you from Skillya’s blood!”

“No!” She replied shakily, a lie about as convincing as a Rumor Kontrol conspiracy.

Grhzz!”

She didn’t turn around; she just ran.

Stivik sat alone in the dimly lit sector for hours.

The world seemed to be crashing around his head.

He had taken his recording box off of his pants and was playing with it, moving it from one hand to the other, flicking the panel on the back open and closed, running his fingers over the record button that in his mind seemed to represent the fate of his whole future. Was he enslaved to that button? Was he a prisoner to the power behind this box as much as any mud was a prisoner to the corporation that owned it?

He put the recorder beside him on the crate he was using as a seat and put his head in his hands.

What was he supposed to do? Betray Dionysia like he’d betrayed Tilic? Hand her over to destruction because she was an abomination, a creation so illegal the Cartel probably hadn’t even thought of writing laws to dictate such a felony?

That final discussion with Tilic kept running through his head like a recorded message on an infinite loop. “They don’t want their hero getting killed… You were destined for higher things… I thought you’d be pleased…”

What was he supposed to be, some sort of champion? Some great hero for turning in a guy who had saved his life countless times? Why was it always him who had to be the traitor? Why was he the one who always had to choose between the law and his friends, between what was right and what was… good?

Was it good that Tilic had sought to betray the glukkons? Was it right that the vykkers create a freak from blood so important it was practically sacred?

He guessed, somewhere deep inside, that Tilic had thought his actions ‘good’, but one fool’s opinion didn’t make it true. Why did vykkers destroy everything he held dear, why was he always trapped between them and glukkons?

He looked down at his metal legs. Were they worth it? Was some mobility, some enhanced vision, worth anything if it meant this much pain, this much confusion?

He reached up to remove his mask (for the first time in Odd knew how many years) but stopped himself just in time. He hadn’t sunk that low yet.

He looked at the box beside him on the crate. A sensor, he had told people it was, but a sensor for what? For liars, for thieves, for terrorists, for people who didn’t deserve to exist? Was that what Dionysia was?

Her face swam before him and he saw those big, watery yellow eyes, the stitched lips, the three-fingered hands, and his stomach lurched cruelly. Odd, brzstrk muds!

He picked up the box, held it in his hands, felt its weight, its shape. His finger toyed with the button, pressing it in as far as he could without switching it on, letting the spring inside push it back again.

He sat their for maybe ten minutes, till everything around him seemed to sink away and he saw himself under the stars, watching a moon swathed in clouds as grief and pain swamped him and threatened to crush him, a tiny number in an enormous world, as insignificant as a star a million miles away.

A small sound at the far end of the room brought him back to reality and he pressed the button.

“67322,” He said dryly. “I’ve been talking to the mudokon experiment, 0942-DNS7-V.4. I managed to gain her trust and she told me that…” He paused. The world around him seemed silent and still, “The vykkers who made her used DNA from Queen Skillya to make her. I think the vykker I asked for information on, Dr Krik, stole it years ago. We know he was arrested for running drug tests on her so I guess he will have taken blood from her, too. I…” He stopped again, and took a second to regain himself, “I’m really certain of this. I mean, she definitely believes it and it’s not the sort of thing you’d tell your creation if it wasn’t true. I suggest that this be followed up immediately; in my mind it poses more of an imminent threat than any results I might find from my investigation of Director Bescher, who still seems perfectly clean. There’s nothing more I can achieve here.”

He pressed the button and sat for several seconds, staring down at it.

Then he looked up. She was standing in the doorway, staring at him, trembling.

“This is what you are?” She asked, and he was impressed by how level she kept her voice.

He looked down at the box again, and then up at her. “I could still smash it. They would never know. I could say it was an accident and the message would never reach them.”

“No you couldn’t, could you? You’re their prisoner. You’re no freer of them than I am of this place, of the drugs they use to keep me alive,” She said with an odd, pleading note in her voice which seemed to say, ‘Let me be wrong’.

He shook his head. “You’re right. This is what they made me. I told you they wouldn’t let me go back. I have to do what’s right, for the Cartel.”

“But since when did the Magog Cartel dictate what’s right?”

“They always have, for people like us.”

“So it’s right that I have to die, just because of what I am?”

Her question sent daggers of pain through his heart. With great difficulty, he answered, “If they say so. What’s right isn’t the same as what’s good.”

She stared at him. In the dark, at this distance, he had to imagine the tears on her cheeks.

“I hate you,” She whispered.

He knew it was a lie, but he let himself believe it was true, because it would hurt so much more if he didn’t, and he already hurt so much he couldn’t understand how he was still alive.

He stood up and walked away from her, flicking open the back of the recorder as he went, and pressing a tiny button labelled ‘send’.

Someone always has to take the blame. That is one of the rules. In this case, as high-ranking sligs barged through their large, rented lab, the vykkers blamed Mehler, because he was the one who had encouraged them to keep her alive. He was the one who had visited her last before she gave away that single, vital piece of information, who must have told her whatever it was that made her give them away.

He never saw Dionysia again. Penniless and jobless, he vanished into obscurity, another nameless cog in the great, man-eating, industrialist machine.

The Magog Cartel covered up the whole affair brilliantly. Queen Skillya never found out about the abomination that was created from her blood, stolen from her so many years ago. The Cartel made the proposition to the small group of vykkers quite clear; they worked for the Cartel, and if they messed up, or if anything happened to Dionysia that the Cartel didn’t approve of, then Skillya would very quickly find out about their treachery.

Dionysia herself became a play-thing of the Cartel. Whatever freedom she had once felt was taken from her as the Cartel began sending her wherever and whenever they liked, as the vykkers turned their backs on her, furious that she had brought this tragedy upon them.

Still though, she sought solace in the kindness of Dr Krik, who, though colder and harsher than ever, still welcomed her to him, still protected her and let her close, and watched her with an eye that dared not lose sight of such a precious creation.

I am on my knees, begging you to reply (even if it's only to say 'I read your story and liked/disliked it', though if you can stick a 'because' at the end of that you'll get bonus points).

Next section leads us into events of the RPG!

Last edited by Splat; 10-05-2009 at 04:07 PM..