Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

10-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

We absolutely don't see Feminism the same way. I see young people from 14-21 as almost universally idealistic but ignorant, you think that Feminism=Boisterous internet femmes who make money complaining about video games.

"I don't think an ideology that says "bhurkas are empowering" but "bikinis are triggering the male gaze""
The only way to stop looking at them this way is to get off the internet. I don't see these people in college and I doubt you will either. They are caricatures of feminism the same way TAA is a caricature of atheism. No one in this course has stood up and shamed men, no one has pulled any white guilt tripe. It's not real. It's a lie that angry young men tell each other on the internet because they're not allowed in the girls only club.

TAA is someone whom I have never liked but try to comprehend for your sake. I think I don't like him because I genuinely believe I'm smarter than he is, and if I chose to I could say what he says without putting it at the expense of other people. He characterizes laziness and pseudo intellectualism to the point where he's basically a walking parody of himself, and I find his self-aggrandizing persona extremely grating given he's clearly enough of a dipshit to get who Reza Aslan is wrong and let a picture of himself with a banana up his ass circulate online. Go ahead and like him, obviously you're not the only one, but his perspective is a perpetual 'idiot's guide to...' and never reflects any deep research or comprehension.

AntiFeminism is a waste of time and calling yourself one will only attract seriously fucked up women who won't do you any favours in the long term.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 10-01-2015 at 02:49 PM..
10-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

I’d like to interject very quickly to point out that the only feminist Nepsotic has stated a respect for (Christina Hoff Sommers) is generally regarded as a particularly conservative woman who is best known for criticizing other feminists rather than anything else, and is also known to be a member of some conservative think-tanks and misrepresents scholarly research to benefit her arguments.

I’m also going to go out on a limb and posit that Nepsotic only knows who she is because she made a video defending Gamergate a couple months back, and as far as I’m aware is one of the few female figureheads the Gamergate community has taken on and like to champion.

I have a lot more to be critical of in this thread but frankly it’s already too densely packed in here and I don’t want to up the paragraph count any more.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

10-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Actually, Manco, I've been a fan of hers for about a year now, so no, it wasn't the GamerGate video.
Also I probably respect other feminists, but she's a woman whom I know to be a feminist. I like other women too, some of them probably call themselves feminists.
I don't avoid somebody automatically just because they refer to themselves as a feminist.

If you have any sources for the claim that she "misrepresents scholarly information" I'd love to see them.

:
We absolutely don't see Feminism the same way. I see young people from 14-21 as almost universally idealistic but ignorant, you think that Feminism=Boisterous internet femmes who make money complaining about video games.

"I don't think an ideology that says "bhurkas are empowering" but "bikinis are triggering the male gaze""
The only way to stop looking at them this way is to get off the internet. I don't see these people in college and I doubt you will either. They are caricatures of feminism the same way TAA is a caricature of atheism. No one in this course has stood up and shamed men, no one has pulled any white guilt tripe. It's not real. It's a lie that angry young men tell each other on the internet because they're not allowed in the girls only club.

TAA is someone whom I have never liked but try to comprehend for your sake. I think I don't like him because I genuinely believe I'm smarter than he is, and if I chose to I could say what he says without putting it at the expense of other people. He characterizes laziness and pseudo intellectualism to the point where he's basically a walking parody of himself, and I find his self-aggrandizing persona extremely grating given he's clearly enough of a dipshit to get who Reza Aslan is wrong and let a picture of himself with a banana up his ass circulate online. Go ahead and like him, obviously you're not the only one, but his perspective is a perpetual 'idiot's guide to...' and never reflects any deep research or comprehension.

AntiFeminism is a waste of time and calling yourself one will only attract seriously fucked up women who won't do you any favours in the long term.
It's just a label. Not identifying under it won't change anything about me.
Your thing that "this stuff only exists on the internet" is just not true, by the way. It's on TV frequently and is in newspapers more times than I care to count, so no, I don't go looking for it on the internet, i just see it. Everywhere.

Deep research or comprehension? No, not most of the time, but that's not why I watch him, I watch him because he's entertaining.
If I'm in the mood for something high-brow I'll watch Gad Saad or Sargon of Akkad. If I want something heavily research and statistic-based I'll watch TL;DR. I never said TAA was a genius, I said he's smarter than the average person and can be quite poetic at times.

I do find it weird that you're dwelling on the sex scandal thing, though. Everybody does stupid shit sometimes, all he did was send a private video to a couple of women whom I assume he thought he could trust. It's pretty clear he wasn't that arsed about it, though. I mean, TJ's Drunken Peasants T-shirt mascot is a banana.

This post is probably rambly as fuck because it's 2am

10-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

I think at this point we can agree to disagree on TAA. Riding the bus earlier I was thinking of asking you 'Do you like Bill Burr?' and I realized that if you happened to dislike ol' Billy red tits there were many reasons to feel that way which correlate directly with my criticism of TAA. If you can respect the reasons I have to dislike TJ I'm fine respecting that you just like the guy because he makes your day brighter. I can't argue with that because goddammit there has to be some subjective sunlight in this toxic fucking world.

I guess the big question on my mind is: Do you think the young women who are fixated on making video games the best platform to broadcast their ideology represent feminism as a whole? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely asking: Is there such a thing as a mature, considerate and positive feminist in your world?

The reason I ask is to clarify what is a feminist to you, and what is a feminist to me.

I think being a feminist is something you earn, because I respect the term as something mature, something necessarily female that nonetheless goes beyond gender. I think what I consider a feminist should be the standard that women follow because it represents good, introspective and assertive qualities that go above and beyond masculine or feminine ideals and indicate that someone is thoughtful and ready to criticize basic ills that western society as a whole takes for granted. I source this from my sisters mostly.

Going further, do you accept that Muhammad, who was a 50 year old fucker of children (in my Pro-Islamic POV), nonetheless said enough good that Muslims as a majority would rather employ those 'good' writings than abuse the 'bad'?

I want to thank you for indulging me with Essay format because I genuinely find point form hard to read.

Furthermore, based mostly on what Manco just posted (I trust Manco as an intelligent character), are you willing to accept that the academic, introspective side of feminism goes well beyond the obtruse characters you've encountered on and off the internet? That is, do you think your personal bias may have been shaped in regards to people who were themselves biased?

I disagree with the idea that Feminism is about some kind of auto-perpetuating victim complex. I think it's about examining what women can do to influence culture in a deliberate way as completely as men do, while still gestating a culture that is independent from Male-dominated systems of criticism.

At no point did I think you were alluding to me being a pig, Nepsotic. That might surprise you, or it might not, but my reasoning was that I don't really consider myself a Feminist anyway. I see women as equals, but acting like I have some grasp on how they feel about Feminism is poppycock: when you get down to the reasons people have behind backing an ideology you will inevitably find something totally alien to your understanding that doesn't collude with your perspective in the first place. I simultaneously believe it's very positive as a tool or empowerment and woefully misunderstood as an excuse to whinge about one's own study habits.

Anyway, I need sleep again. I'm liking this conversation and Nepsotic more and more though, without implying some kind of meaningless Pyrrhic victory, because I think you're employing your perspective more and more effectively and I can respect that.

10-02-2015, 03:16 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Yeah it's definitely an interesting debate.
On Muhammad, I think that many bad people can write good things, yeah. Hitler was a strong animal rights advocate so yeah, go Hitler!
The point is that the Quran has a lot of both, and when bad ideas are put with good ideas they cancel each other out.
This is what TAA's point was - the amount of terrorists and bombers that have the Quran in common is not a coincidence.

When you're raised in that environment and brought up on such a sketchy text, that shit can happen. It's not like the Bible is any better, it's just that much less people follow it as closely as people following th Quran.

I'd like to bring up Charlie Hebdo because I want to clarify that what annoyed me about that was the fact that people were attempting to justify it.
"They knew what they were doing!"
"They did it on purpose!"
"They should just respect people's beliefs!
As if that this is the consequence one should expect for drawing a fucking cartoon. Whether you found it funny or not is not the issue, people should be allowed to fucking draw it without being murdered.

Going back to the feminists who "criticise" games, I don't think that those people represent feminism as a whole, no, I'm mainly just using them as an example of bad feminism in the western world.

I believe that feminism has had its time but no longer has any use in today's society. The definition of feminism (which is something that they always fall back on when you criticise it, even though their actions do not represent it) is a movement dedicated to equality for women. Now I'm sure we can both agree that women have all the same rights as men, all the same choices. Unless of course, they want to be a male stripper, and believe me when I say there's people who even call that sexist.

At the end of the day, any movement whose goal is "gender equality," but that only focuses on the issues of one of them, is a failure. I consider myself an egalitarian, and to me it looks like women are the priveleged ones in society these days. Of course there are inequalities on both sides, but that's exactly my point.

As for women influencing culture well, look how many women-only talk shows there are, and then do the same for men. Daytime TV is basically designed for women, over here at least. The funny thing is Ive heard them talk about how they "don't have a platform and get silenced because they're women" WHILST BEING ON THEIR TALK SHOW.

I don't really think it's necessary to think about how women "feel" about feminism, because it's their actions that matter, and I see a lot more bad actions in the name of feminism than good ones.

10-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

:
Yeah it's definitely an interesting debate.
On Muhammad, I think that many bad people can write good things, yeah. Hitler was a strong animal rights advocate so yeah, go Hitler!
The point is that the Quran has a lot of both, and when bad ideas are put with good ideas they cancel each other out.
This is what TAA's point was - the amount of terrorists and bombers that have the Quran in common is not a coincidence.
So once again you don't actually have a point or a perspective to form an opinion on so you've adopted the view of some e-celebrity who stuck a banana up his ass and poured boiling oil on his micropenis on camera.

I want the facts to stand: The Amazing Atheist is a fucking dummy who has done enough stupid shit to prove he can't regulate himself properly. That is your rhetoric. He is the unreliable narrator to his reliably humiliating lifestyle. If you want to continue sourcing facts from his stupidity, go ahead, but it will perpetually be retorted by the fact that he is a lazy fatty who stuck a banana up his ass and poured boiling oil on his micropenis on a stream. Hot oil, banana, live on camera. Only a fucking retard would let this happen to themselves. If you disagree, feel free to pour some boiling butt banana oil on yourself on the internet and see how seriously people take you then.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the majority of school shooters are cloistered, self involved atheistic young men. They definitely aren't Muslims!
I don't go to school and worry about muslims, I go to school and worry about lazy nerds with anger issues who can't accept that at some point the internet ends and beyond that the real world begins. I think the legion of assholes calling themselves 'redpilled' at 21 and acting like they have things figured out by ignoring the years of perspective offered previously is incredibly disconcerting. I worry about ignorance and hatred in my own culture before I start pointing fingers and finding fault in others.

The funny thing is instead of being forcefed religion from an early age you were just stuffed full of the perspective of people on the internet. It's okay, so was I. You see the irony right? I perceive you as some female-resenting nerd too lazy to absorb information with any effort, you perceive Muslims as secret agents trying to poison society from the inside and feminism as some secret club that doesn't do anything good for anyone.

I get your perspective Nep, I lived it. I'd just like to encourage you to grow the fuck up and stop acting like your opinions matter, because they don't.

More importantly, at the end of the day the fact that I like Muslims and don't think of Islam as a culture that produces suicide bombers like a factory is going to leave me a lot happier than the paranoid tinfoil hat perspective I get from you.

Antifeminism is fucking stupid. You want to talk about victim complexes? At which point can you avoid the fact that Antifeminists feel 'victimised' by feminism to the point where they just have to spout contrarian bullshit? It's the ultimate cop out to me, antifeminism. Antifeminism is not real, it is not legitimate. It's saying 'No, I'm special.' with your own silly bullshit when you can't just step back and laugh at the silly heights feminism reaches.

Feminism serves a purpose; to empower women based on their feminity. If you're getting caught up in all of the youthful folly and ridiculousness that comes with young people finding an ideology that is your problem, not feminism's as a whole. You don't understand Feminism well enough to actually form an argument against it, so you pretend it's something it isn't to feel extra special yourself. Grow up.

What 'environment' and what 'sketchy text'? Again, you're presuming so much here. These same presumptions apply to any religion. You're demonizing Muslims because it's easy and you're lazy, that's all. What you're describing is a vague approximation of Wahabism which is widely accepted as the worst branch of Islam. Do you understand that? Muslims have words to describe their own crazies. They understand that there are branches of their religion that are toxic and actively create a dialogue to mend it. Then guys like you have to chime in with their 'If the branch is tainted then the tree must be cut down' fuckery. Seriously, start learning more about the things you're trying to discuss here.

The biggest threat to my lifestyle? Not Wahabists who blow each other up, halfway around the world, but self-serving conservative bumpkins who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about when they get political.

Of course you would like to bring up Charlie Hebdo, because you didn't understand you were wrong about Charlie Hebdo 20 months ago and obviously need to try to bring that horse to stable again.

Assuming you're alluding to the discussion had about Charlie Hebdo on OWF (otherwise why would you be bringing it up?) No one said it was justified, but understanding how and why Charlie Hebdo presented their perspective was important before one decided to celebrate them. I respect the depth of their satire but as far as time and place goes? Maybe I'll give their brand of vitriol a try when arrogant fuckers aren't ready to politicize anything and everything for their own ends. It's just as disgusting for use the tragedy at Charlie Hebdo to express hatred and ignorance in regards to muslims as it would be to celebrate the savagery that took place.

No one was justifying killing them, we just wanted their apparent xenophobia to be acknowledged before people used it as an excuse to start shitting on Islam as a whole which was exactly what you are doing.

Feminism has a use in today's society precisely to educate fucking bumpkins like you who are too lazy to comprehend the blatant reality: Women should get more money to raise their kids, because men will pop a baby in their belly and then fuck off. Now imagine a whole society structured around making this situation a-okay and typical. Single moms with little money=disenfranchised kids with little opportunity. It's not actually that fucking hard if you can get past the fact that the knowledgeable feminists are genuinely pissed off about it.

You can dress it up with how video games are being criticized by vocal young women with too much time on their hands and pretend that 'Feminism in the western world' is something you actually understand all you like, you're still pretending that this shit doesn't constantly happen and is at the root of so much bad culture. Why not make men more accountable for their offspring? Why not give single moms more financial stability to raise a child? If you think Feminism doesn't serve a purpose you probably don't understand what that purpose is anyway.

Also, if what you say is correct, doesn't that make Antifeminism twice as pointless and stupid? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but if it's already a defunct ideology are you not the ones waving a flag saying 'Look at me! I have OPINIONS!' for no constructive reason?

Regardless, Antifeminism is a useless appendage that contrarians with nothing better to do fill their time with. It's a label that's about as interchangeable as 'special snowflake.'
BTW, associating with antifeminism will get you put on a watchlist for hate groups, that's a fucking fact. It's considered detrimental to the point where people who support it need to be monitored.

You can espouse as much wank about Feminism being about 'equality' and 'gender roles' that you like. Both sides like to pretend those words are what's important, but I think breaking Feminism down to three essential components is the best way to look at it:

A) Being the single parent (typically mother) of a child is tough and requires all the advantages one can get.
B) No one wants their ass slapped at work, on the street or at Church.
C) Women have done plenty of awesome shit and putting a label on the historic perspective of awesome women is important.

Calling someone a bigot is easy. Being a bigot is even easier, because as a bigot you don't actually have to read into or understand things. As a bigot you can just be ignorant and pretend what you think is the case precisely because you don't see the value in being proven wrong once in awhile.
Bigotry implies something active, as if you're trying to work against something, when it's more detrimental. Bigotry and Ignorance are the grime in the gears of society, they're not necessary opposing mechanisms but they aren't letting things run efficiently either. Antifeminism doesn't do anything. They slow down the important discourse and essential dialogue simply by needing to play catch up, because they never understood the issues to begin with. There's no point in arguing for or against feminism with someone who doesn't actually comprehend what Feminism is, right?

It's also because often people don't comprehend that regardless of how carefully articulated or elaborately formed their opinion is, it's still lazy, self serving bigoted trash.

You choose to see the bad in these cultures and get pissed off about it and act like what's important is your ire when it's not. You're not disadvantaged, you're not without opportunity. Did you not go to school to design fucking video games? What an amazing opportunity, learning to create interactive works of art--wow! It sounds like you had some arrogant young people who believed that the plight of victimized women in society was something that they had to deal with, when the ones who were actually feminists, the ones with real problems weren't able to attend because they're stuck raising a child for most of their young adult lives.

Do you see what I'm saying? Victims don't typically just appear and point themselves out. You need to pursue victimhood down to its most genuine to correct it. Getting annoyed with the ones who perceive themselves as victims is just the tip of the iceberg and using that as your sounding board is lazy.

I just struggle to see what possible reason you have to argue against feminism or Islam when they clearly don't have any role in your life besides being something you let yourself get pissed off about for the sake of being pissed off about it.

You're not an egalitarian. That word is thrown around by people who want to double up on their specialness to feel more special, so fucking drop it. You don't have to be a feminist, you don't have to acknowledge that the patriarchy is a highly politicized and poorly chosen term that is still extremely real and representative of how tough things can be for women and you can pretend that society is a big party and people are just choosing not to have fun, but you contradict yourself in describing yourself as an egalitrarian by then getting pissy about women-only television. All of these prejudices you cast as victimhood are reflected in your choice to perceive them as such. You, me and even ol' Crashpunk are just as guilty in feeling outrage at something we don't understand as the dummies you choose to characterize feminism through.

So what, all culture should be a homogenous, consumer friendly hodge-podge dumbed down for mass consumption? Either you take the good with the bad with subculture and elitism by celebrating the good and quietly acknowledging the bad or you get a cultural gruel that's safe for everybody and good for no one. If you just want to criticize everything you don't like down to a meaningless morass of labels go ahead, just understand no one is going to empathize with your arrogant, bitter outlook on things that are genuinely good and serve a purpose.

Maybe the reason culture is composed to exclude other people is because culture is inherently exclusive and that's okay. 'Feminism' sojourning into the realm of gaming to establish its own niche portion of that subculture is fine and only an arrogant, self righteous dipshit would ever feel threatened by it because they're ignorant of the deeper function of that move in the first place. It's as subtle and broad as a tectonic shift but the only physical affectation would be cultural, and you can always make the decision not to indulge that culture. If you don't, if you choose to observe and perceive things that piss you off just to continue being pissed off about them well, you're not really doing anything good for anyone.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 10-12-2015 at 09:39 AM..
10-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

There was something here...and now there isn't!

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 10-16-2015 at 08:42 AM..
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Boy, I am SO waiting for tl;dr version of this.

Also, I wish you guys were so talkative at Oddchat. I'm still checking it every now and then but it's always empty.

Wait, what happened to my custom title?

Last edited by Varrok; 10-15-2015 at 02:17 PM..