Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

01-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

:
I've already said that Stranger DIDN'T kill the franchise. I was saying that if OWI had recovered from Munch then things might have gone differently.

And I'm not saying that no one will buy anything unless they go back to the quintology. I've already said, in agreeing to V_O_T that I would buy anything they make. I'd just like them to get the Quintology, or atleast that area, opened up again.

Read what I'm saying more carefully please.
I proof read your post many times, very carefully but it still just looks like shit.

:
EA killed Oddworld, not Stranger. So stop pretending that they absolutely must come back to Abe and the Quintology before anybody will buy anything again, because the evidence simply doesn’t hold up.
Wasn't there a to-do with Microsoft, as well?

01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

:
I've already said that Stranger DIDN'T kill the franchise. I was saying that if OWI had recovered from Munch then things might have gone differently.

And I'm not saying that no one will buy anything unless they go back to the quintology. I've already said, in agreeing to V_O_T that I would buy anything they make. I'd just like them to get the Quintology, or atleast that area, opened up again.

Read what I'm saying more carefully please.
Almost every post you’ve made on the subject has implied that, had they made another Quintology game everything would have been okay; that because they made Stranger instead of another Abe game everybody abandoned them.

That’s what your posts are saying, even if you refuse to admit that. Look:
:
Let's be fair, Stranger's Wrath was new and that practically killed off the Oddworld series for a decade. I'm not saying Stranger's Wrath was the cause of Oddworld being killed off. But after the unsuccess of Munch's Oddysee they shouldn't have made a 'new' game, they should've recovered by making another Abe Oddworld game.
:
Stranger's Wrath didn't really get Oddworld back on a good track, becasue it left the Quintology, which is what people wanted to see, especially after Munch's Oddysee.
:
Then Munch made alot of people dissapointed, so I tihnk OWI should have made another game in that area to kind of recover what Munch done.
What all of this means is you think that another Quintology game would have saved the franchise, but what is actually the case is that Stranger was poorly marketed by EA and that resulted in a huge loss for OWI. It didn’t matter whether they made a good game or not, they were screwed over.

You have no way of showing that fans wanted another Quintology game to the extent that they refused to buy Stranger’s Wrath. It is an unsubstantiated claim that you have made up to support your opinion that they should make more Quintology games first.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

01-19-2013, 09:11 AM
pupbenny
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2012
: UK
: 371
pupbenny  (169)pupbenny  (169)

:
Pup, you're giving us the most mixed messages. Maybe you should read what you're saying more carefully before you post it to avoid more confusion and frustration.
Either way, I'm syaing that I think that OWI and JAW's first new game should be a Quintology Area game, not a game that may not even be set on Oddworld. That's it basically. :P

01-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Why's that? There is absolutely no reason for it, it's just your opinion, which is fine, but your defending the argument badly. Really badly.

01-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Michael
Bola Blast

: May 2010
: Birmingham, England
: 409
Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

With regards to making something to reinvigorate brand awareness of Oddworld, something quintology-related would be the best option in my opinion. With the story effectively beginning mid way through the overarching quintology plot, new gamers will feel encouraged to get the previous games to bring them up to speed if they haven't played them. If something separate like Stranger or Fangus is released, it might feel a little disconnected. This is not to say that I would mind either way, though I must admit that I like Abe the most.
01-19-2013, 09:29 AM
pupbenny
Spark Stunk

:
With regards to making something to reinvigorate brand awareness of Oddworld, something quintology-related would be the best option in my opinion. With the story effectively beginning mid way through the overarching quintology plot, new gamers will feel encouraged to get the previous games to bring them up to speed if they haven't played them. If something separate like Stranger or Fangus is released, it might feel a little disconnected. This is not to say that I would mind either way, though I must admit that I like Abe the most.
That's dead pin point exactly what I think. That's what I've been trying to say, basically.

:
Almost every post you’ve made on the subject has implied that, had they made another Quintology game everything would have been okay; that because they made Stranger instead of another Abe game everybody abandoned them.

That’s what your posts are saying, even if you refuse to admit that. Look:

What all of this means is you think that another Quintology game would have saved the franchise, but what is actually the case is that Stranger was poorly marketed by EA and that resulted in a huge loss for OWI. It didn’t matter whether they made a good game or not, they were screwed over.

You have no way of showing that fans wanted another Quintology game to the extent that they refused to buy Stranger’s Wrath. It is an unsubstantiated claim that you have made up to support your opinion that they should make more Quintology games first.
I know how that seems confusing. I'm not saying that making another Quintology game will "save the franchise". It doesn't need to be save, they're making games. I'm saying that I think the best game for them to make as the first new Oddworld game in a decade would be a Quintology Area game. Tha'ts it.

As for Stranger's Wrath, what I'm saying is that things might've turned out differently if they'd recovered the Quintology by making another Quintology Area game to improve on what Munch's Oddysee is. That's it.

01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

But we all already know that isn't correct, stop now.

01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

:
As for Stranger's Wrath, what I'm saying is that things might've turned out differently if they'd recovered the Quintology by making another Quintology Area game to improve on what Munch's Oddysee is. That's it.
that’s exactly what I am saying is wrong about your previous posts

01-19-2013, 09:40 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

We don't know, though. I agree that building upon the existing two games and continuing the Quintology might be interesting. But then you do realise, Pupbenny, that a new instalment will bring about a new hero any way? Having a look at Fangus would be equally interesting because you get to move away from what we know and see something new. Broaden your horizons and live a little, dude.

01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

: Sep 2008
: Rock bottom
: 4,911
Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

Pup, you want to see a new Quintology game for whatever reason. That's fine. I hope that's what you voted for. Your opinions on spinoff games are outright wrong, but you're still allowed to want a new Quintology game. You really must acknowledged that Stranger didn't kill the franchise, especially given the fantastic reviews the HD rerelease is getting.
01-19-2013, 02:31 PM
doomcorner64
Chippunk

: Jun 2012
: At my home
: 23
doomcorner64  (11)

Either Munch's Exoddus or Fangus.

To be honest, I really don't want an AE HD. AE was flawless in my opinion, and fuck it, we need a brand new Oddworld game.
01-20-2013, 01:19 AM
marlz
Boombat

: Jun 2008
: australia
: 218
marlz  (14)

Well, a reason I'd like AE HD is because part of me would like the other half of the first Quintology entry, so we have all four of the Oddworld games in an HD form of some description. Also, since there'd be potential for lock on between the two, I might feel more inclinded to actually make an LP of it as a complete game.
And considering the interest it's getting from people, if NnT does well it's GOING to happen anyway.

Munch's Exoddus, however, I've been waiting for since... well, since I made that concept art.
So naturally I'd like to see that next, most certainly. ^^

01-20-2013, 05:07 AM
V_O_T
Super Stingbee

: Sep 2012
: Australia
: 471
V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)

We all have to remember that the "Something completely new on Oddworld" includes Slig Storm, Squeeks Oddysee and Fangus. So, as it is coming on 2nd highest voted with only like 10 votes behind, I see something new taking the lead.

Not only that, I think Stu has an interest in Slig Storm. I only say that because when there was an interview with Lorne via skype, Stu asked if he could make it. They were joking around, but I get a feeling he likes that idea more.

Either way, I see AE HD as the more logical option, but really wish they had an all of the above option.

Also, quick question to anyone who might know the answer, but do Muds dislike sligs in the wild? That is if there are even wild sligs? Because if hes trying to escape and no party likes him, that slig is going to be in a bit of a bind. Maybe he can just hang out with slurgs, but even they can be a bitchy bunch.
01-20-2013, 05:21 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
that slig is going to be in a bit of a bind, they can be a bitchy bunch
Ha, say that ten times faster.

:
Well, a reason I'd like AE HD is because part of me would like the other half of the first Quintology entry, so we have all four of the Oddworld games in an HD form of some description. Also, since there'd be potential for lock on between the two, I might feel more inclinded to actually make an LP of it as a complete game.
This is the same reason why I thought it would be a better idea for them to remake AO and AE as one whole game.

01-20-2013, 06:12 AM
pupbenny
Spark Stunk

:
You really must acknowledged that Stranger didn't kill the franchise
I've said loads of times now that Stranger's Wrath DID NOT kill the franchise. That's what I've been saying.

:
that’s exactly what I am saying is wrong about your previous posts
Let's just forget about the Stranger's Wrath thing and focus on the next Oddworld game. :P

:
But then you do realise, Pupbenny, that a new instalment will bring about a new hero any way? Having a look at Fangus would be equally interesting because you get to move away from what we know and see something new. Broaden your horizons and live a little, dude.
Yes, but it'd be nice to go back to a familier setting, especially after a decade. After that I wouldn't mind broadening my horizons.

01-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
I've said loads of times now that Stranger's Wrath DID NOT kill the franchise. That's what I've been saying.
You know, now that you put "DID NOT" in big, raging letters, I completely agree that you DID NOT say that. I agree with everything you've ever said.

And by the way, I DID NOT say that I agree with everything you've ever said. Do you see my point now?

01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Clannfear
Stingbee

: Jul 2009
: Oddworld
: 93
Clannfear  (56)

Even new quintology game brings (practically) new hero which will have obviously some destiny. Look at story of Brutal Ballad - Fangus have destiny to defend WHOLE Oddworld man. Isnt this sounds like quintology game? The story sounds nothing but really EPIC. Plus - with dark design and mature atmosphere it could be truly perfect.
01-20-2013, 07:57 AM
pupbenny
Spark Stunk

But it doesn't have all the good things from the Quintology Area. Sligs, Glukkons, Scrabs, Paramites, ect. Also, it is good to hgave Oddworld dark but I think that the humour of Oddworld is unique and osmething that is a good unique thing to Oddworld, especially the Quintology games. Also, Stragners Wrath was a good game. But it deosn't have the feel of an Oddworld game, because it's not what people are used to. It's not got all the good things from the previous 3 games. This makes it different and less Oddworld. This could happen with Fangus Klott.

01-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

So what you're saying is: "Fuck all these other experiments, we want JAW to make the same game over and over again! WHOOOO!"

01-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Clannfear
Stingbee

: Jul 2009
: Oddworld
: 93
Clannfear  (56)

Oddworld must evolve. Someday there will be next quintology game. Probably Squeek. And Pup - dont be shocked if that game will be very different from what we saw already. That's why Fangus is the best choice for now - its not quintology and that makes perfect situation for "more time" to learn by JAW. Then they can (with much more experience) start to make better quintology games than Munch Oddysee unfortunately was.
01-20-2013, 08:26 AM
pupbenny
Spark Stunk

Then we think the complete opposite. I think the first Oddworld game should be a Quintology Area game, you think not. I suggest we leave it there, we all have our own opinions.

01-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Cloudman
Chippunk

: May 2012
: Ireland
: 33
Cloudman  (36)

I voted for SW2 but in retrospect I think I'd prefer Sligstorm. It would probably be better for JAW as a still relatively new studio to work on something of that scale as opposed to a new full blown epic.

01-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2008
: Middle of a desert
: 1,669
Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)

:
But it doesn't have all the good things from the Quintology Area. Sligs, Glukkons, Scrabs, Paramites, ect. Also, it is good to hgave Oddworld dark but I think that the humour of Oddworld is unique and osmething that is a good unique thing to Oddworld, especially the Quintology games. Also, Stragners Wrath was a good game. But it deosn't have the feel of an Oddworld game, because it's not what people are used to. It's not got all the good things from the previous 3 games. This makes it different and less Oddworld. This could happen with Fangus Klott.
You are so caught up in nostalgia you're not even bothering to look at the big picture.

If a game takes place in a region different from that of the quintology, there will still be evidence it's part of the same universe (in SW, there were fuzzles, a vykker, and other species that were very clearly related to ones we had seen previously in Eastern Mudos in some manner Also it dealt with a lot of the same themes the previous games dealt with.) the main differences will be almost entirely the story and characters involved.

You can't expect to see scrabs and paramites everywhere. They're endangered for fuck's sake. They made that pretty obvious in the first game. Unless a game takes place before Rupture Farms completely slaughtered the wild life. Sligs seem to have a very controlled population, and if there are any wild ones odds are they are on a completely different continent than Mudos.

If you hadn't noticed, AO was a very dark game. It was dark and still had a bit of humour in the mix. Farting being used as a form of communication? Fucking hilarious. Heck, dying in that game was hilarious. Whatever happens to come next can be just as dark and still incorporate the humour that usually comes along with Oddworld games.

Nothing past the first two games are going to have the "Oddworld feel" to them because they are completely different styles of gameplay. There's really no getting around that since the general set up of the older games is considered outdated anyways. The biggest thing that makes SW not feel much like an Oddworld game is that it deals with directly confronting enemies rather than manipulating them to solve puzzles. Other than that? Nothing about it doesn't say Oddworld.

There's nothing wrong with different. Different appeals to larger audiences. The larger the audience is the more funds OWI and JAW will get, the better games we will get in return, as well as more possible merchandise.

Eventually, all of that "different" will start to intertwine and become something distinctly Oddworld. SW has already completely integrated itself as just that. Oddworld. Plus it's a separate story from the quintology so you don't even have to pay it any mind if you oppose anything but the quintology so much and most people won't give a shit. but for whatever reason, you're so intent on letting everyone know just how much it wasn't a real Oddworld game so... ... ..

And don't say anything along the lines of "please read more carefully before commenting" or "that's exactly what I was/wasn't saying". Just. Don't.

Last edited by Slog Bait; 01-20-2013 at 09:15 AM..
01-20-2013, 09:17 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

One problem I have with the old games is that once you play through a level once, you know exactly what to do next time. My idea is something more like a roguelike or like Binding of Isaac. Some kind of random shuffling or random level placement would be quite cool, so like you would never know what would be on the next screen, be it a slig, a slog, a glukkon etc. I can't wait for New n Tasty!

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

01-20-2013, 09:20 AM
pupbenny
Spark Stunk

:
You are so caught up in nostalgia you're not even bothering to look at the big picture.

If a game takes place in a region different from that of the quintology, there will still be evidence it's part of the same universe (in SW, there were fuzzles, a vykker, and other species that were very clearly related to ones we had seen previously in Eastern Mudos in some manner Also it dealt with a lot of the same themes the previous games dealt with.) the main differences will be almost entirely the story and characters involved.

You can't expect to see scrabs and paramites everywhere. They're endangered for fuck's sake. They made that pretty obvious in the first game. Unless a game takes place before Rupture Farms completely slaughtered the wild life. Sligs seem to have a very controlled population, and if there are any wild ones odds are they are on a completely different continent than Mudos.

If you hadn't noticed, AO was a very dark game. It was dark and still had a bit of humour in the mix. Farting being used as a form of communication? Fucking hilarious. Heck, dying in that game was hilarious. Whatever happens to come next can be just as dark and still incorporate the humour that usually comes along with Oddworld games.

Nothing past the first two games are going to have the "Oddworld feel" to them because they are completely different styles of gameplay. There's really no getting around that since the general set up of the older games is considered outdated anyways. The biggest thing that makes SW not feel much like an Oddworld game is that it deals with directly confronting enemies rather than manipulating them to solve puzzles. Other than that? Nothing about it doesn't say Oddworld.

There's nothing wrong with different. Different appeals to larger audiences. The larger the audience is the more funds OWI and JAW will get, the better games we will get in return, as well as more possible merchandise.

Eventually, all of that "different" will start to intertwine and become something distinctly Oddworld. SW has already completely integrated itself as just that. Oddworld. Plus it's a separate story from the quintology so you don't even have to pay it any mind if you oppose anything but the quintology so much and most people won't give a shit. but for whatever reason, you're so intent on letting everyone know just how much it wasn't a real Oddworld game so... ... ..

And don't say anything along the lines of "please read more carefully before commenting" or "that's exactly what I was/wasn't saying". Just. Don't.
Then end the argument then. I've stopped it. :P

I agree with most of the things you say there. And I'm not saying that Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath isn't a real Oddworld game. I'm just saying it was almost completely different, aside from a few references, such as the Vykker and Fuzzles. It was even different gameplay as you said. M ypoiint is is if I played AO and then played SW I wouldn't know they were of the same series. That can be bad, because that means Oddworld then have to appeal to different audiences and try to satisfy everyone.

As V_O_T said, regardless of what they make, we'll all buy it because it's Oddworld.

So lets just end that argument here. As I said in my previous post, "We all have different opinions". That's it. :P

01-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)

Sure, okay, whatever you say.

:
One problem I have with the old games is that once you play through a level once, you know exactly what to do next time. My idea is something more like a roguelike or like Binding of Isaac. Some kind of random shuffling or random level placement would be quite cool, so like you would never know what would be on the next screen, be it a slig, a slog, a glukkon etc. I can't wait for New n Tasty!
When you said random shuffling/level placement the first thing I thought of was Slashem'.

The fact that once you figured out the puzzles the game suddenly became easy to speed through is probably the only thing about the first two games that I didn't like. At the same time, though, it allowed for me to catch so many things I had missed through the first play through, and eventually that's how I became such a huge fan of the series. At least the games had replayability.

01-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
I agree with most of the things you say there. And I'm not saying that Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath isn't a real Oddworld game. I'm just saying it was almost completely different, aside from a few references, such as the Vykker and Fuzzles. It was even different gameplay as you said. M ypoiint is is if I played AO and then played SW I wouldn't know they were of the same series. That can be bad, because that means Oddworld then have to appeal to different audiences and try to satisfy everyone.
Play Mario Bros. then play Mario Kart.
:
So lets just end that argument here. As I said in my previous post, "We all have different opinions". That's it. :P
If it's your opinion you should be able to defend it easily. And you aren't defending it at all, you're just proving our points a thousand times over.

:
One problem I have with the old games is that once you play through a level once, you know exactly what to do next time. My idea is something more like a roguelike or like Binding of Isaac. Some kind of random shuffling or random level placement would be quite cool, so like you would never know what would be on the next screen, be it a slig, a slog, a glukkon etc.
I understand what you are saying, but wouldn't that completely defeat the point?

Last edited by Nepsotic; 01-20-2013 at 09:33 AM..
01-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

:
M ypoiint is is if I played AO and then played SW I wouldn't know they were of the same series. That can be bad, because that means Oddworld then have to appeal to different audiences and try to satisfy everyone.
Wait, how is that even remotely bad

A lot of developers do that and they manage just fine?? The only difference is they don't tack the same general name to every game they make. At this point if something says Oddworld, it's safe to say the game just takes place on Oddworld and isn't necessarily tied in with a previous game at all. It's like a bunch of short stories.

01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

Let's not forget that Hand of Odd was a drastically different game to AO and AE in terms of scale and overall objective. I could see asymmetrical gameplay working similarly to Natural Selection or Star Wars Battlefront.

While I enjoyed Stranger's Wrath, I was a bit disappointed to see a lack of former races in other games, not even a single baby sliglet. (Considering how many of them were in AE/MO)

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

01-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Why should Oddworld have to restrict itself to one genre? Why is having games with different styles of gameplay a bad thing?

Why does the series have to cater to the same target audience all the time?

The answer is it doesn’t. As long as the series’ core of strong storytelling, communication of environmental/anti-corporatism messages, and unique characters and aesthetic style remains intact, it doesn’t have to stick to one thing to be recognized as Oddworld.