Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

07-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Well done, SS, couldn't have put it better myself. Except possibly without the first two sentences.

07-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Eriken
Stingbee

: Jun 2004
: Canada
: 84
Eriken  (10)

:
I get this vibe that because more of us prefer Xbox to PS2 that you have developed some sort of competitive hatred for most of us because you're a PS2 person.
I really couldn't care less if you prefer Xbox to PS2 (I do, however, resent the comments about how the PS2 build will "drag down" the quality of the Xbox version. So who's the fanboy? Me, who is merely defending the PS2 build of Stranger, or some of You, who are completely against the idea of Stranger being released on the PS2.

:
Or it could be you just don't like Oddworld. Sorry, if I'm jumping to conclusions...
Appology accepted.

:
...but you seem to have been nothing but a wet blanket for a while now.
Looks like I'm starting to turn some heads here already. Sorry if you find my opinions offensive. All I was saying here is that I'm not one to get all antsy over a couple of cinematic clips. If you don't share my opinion, that's fine. If I came across as pushy, my deepest appologies.

:
We are excited because every little bit of info is something new and it's interesting to share our theories with one another, sorry if it appears we're getting hectic, but we're not. Also we just love Oddworld. Oddworld Forums is a place you discuss about Oddworld. What do you think we're doing? The FMVs are as equally important and exciting as the gameplay and we can party 'till we drop if we want.
Again, your opinion vs mine. You want to get all hyped up over some cinematics, props to you. I was merely letting my opinion be known to create discussion that isn't a bunch of people sitting around agreeing how great something looks. True discussion comes from opposing views.
07-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Alright, I'm gonna take a safe bet here and wager that Sligslinger will respond. I let the "PS2 or Xbox" thread go, since pepped up 'discussions' of the two platforms seemed inseparable from the topic, but there's no need to bring this to another thread. If you have opposing views of systems any longer, especially ones that are based on one other person.

Just trying to spot something before it becomes discourtious.

07-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

SS is the one who brought it up :P
07-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
Looks like I'm starting to turn some heads here already.
looks like we've got a live one here . Seriously though, if you come to the forums with the intention of starting fights, feel free to get lost. There's enough pointless fighting going on without people intentionally starting new ones.

Oh and while I agree with you that in-game graphics are important and the way you should really judge the capability of a developer, you can't completely discount FMVs. They set the mood and tell the story in ways that in-game could never do.

07-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

:
looks like we've got a live one here . Seriously though, if you come to the forums with the intention of starting fights, feel free to get lost. There's enough pointless fighting going on without people intentionally starting new ones.
Where exactly have I tried to start a fight? From my side of things, it looks more like I've merely been defending my opinion. The whole point of my opinion here is to bring up discussion. A bunch of people sitting around agreeing with eachother doesn't make for very interesting or engaging discussion. Bitching about me coming in and presenting a different opinion is a lot less productive than just sucking it up and instead of despising my existance, try and defend your own views. Which, amidst all of the bickering, I've seen very little of. Instead of telling me to stop being such an asshole, which I'm sure many are thinking, stand up and tell me why my opinion is wrong.

Now, back on topic:

:
Oh and while I agree with you that in-game graphics are important and the way you should really judge the capability of a developer, you can't completely discount FMVs. They set the mood and tell the story in ways that in-game could never do.
Although cinematics are an effective story telling device in games, and often do look really cool, I think that game developers instead should be looking for ways to tell the story in a means that doesn't take control away from the player.
Take Metal Gear Solid for example (a game famous for its plethora of cutscenes). Sure, it looks cool as hell when Snake jumps over that rocket and does that backflip to avoid the Ninja's sword, but wouldn't it be even cooler if you could do all of that in-game? Games like Freedom Fighters have been taking small steps in the direction towards minimizing the amount of time spent watching the game instead of playing by having story elements presented while you're controlling your character. However, using Freedom Fighters as an example, not using cinematics to show off some cool scenes really degrades from the entertainment factor.

Which brings me to my point. If developers spent more time trying to make the actual game look and feel just as good as the cutscenes, there'd be no use for FMVs at all.
Alas, with current game controllers, giving Solid Snake as many moves in-game as he has in the cinematics is next to impossible. Which is why I'm heavily looking forward to Nintendo's "Revolution" which is supposed to bring more ways to actually play games into the light (like a motion sensing glove for example?).
07-12-2004, 01:47 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Seeing as some people don't have QuickTime (I didn't until yesterday ), or the download was too large (21 MB can be a cow for 56k), I've decided to do a full set of shots from the short clip. Each shot is basically taken a second after the previous shot, but I'd say I more than likely just took them when they looked better

However, you can visit: http://www.oddworlduniverse.com/features/strangercg.php for the entire set.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

07-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Killa_47
Sniper Wasp

: Paramonia!
: 285
Killa_47  (10)

Wow cheers Alcar because i don't have quicktime.
That helped.

07-12-2004, 05:38 AM
drakan90
Bola Blast

: Jun 2003
: 441
drakan90  (10)

Oh you need quicktime...
07-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Killa_47
Sniper Wasp

: Paramonia!
: 285
Killa_47  (10)

yeh you do but i dont want it.

07-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
Where exactly have I tried to start a fight? (...) stand up and tell me why my opinion is wrong.
There's nothing wrong with your opinion. You can love your PS2 to death for all I care. You can elope with it to Paris and make sweet, mad, passionate love to it and you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. My problem was with when you said

:
Looks like I'm starting to turn some heads here already.
cos it made you look like you were being so pro-PS2 merely to cause a fight. It didn't really work cos we're all a bit sick of that issue after three years of discussing it.

If I'm misinterpreting you, then I'm sorry but that's just the way it looks from here.

07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

1. I didn't even MENTION any console in this thread until SligSlinger brought it up as a way to accuse me of trying to be an asshole because of my differing preference of consoles. In essence, putting words into my mouth.

2. I said "Looks like I'm starting to turn some heads here already" mainly because of the first point. I comment on how the gameplay won't look nearly as good as the FMVs, and I'm jumped all over for being biased against the Xbox. I said that I'm turning heads because apparently a few of you are holding a grudge against me.

Now drop it. I'm attempting to keep things on-topic.

@Alcar: Thanks for posting those pics. It'd take me forever to download the video on my 28.8k modem.