Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

12-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

: Feb 2009
: In the mists of time
: 255
Slig75  (20)

I agree with Oddey, the chapter before this one was a bit silly, but this chapter evens it out. Good going

Also, Check out my Youtube account http://www.youtube.com/user/Admeet75

12-20-2009, 01:04 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

Postponed till after xmas ^_^

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

12-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

O.K., I can wait

12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

Thank you very much AlexFili. I'll be spending that time on ohter things that I need to get done.

After Christmas, we'll all be waiting though.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

12-21-2009, 01:22 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

Changed my mind. Here's the next bit (it is Christmas after all!).
I still plan on having two more chapters after this one.

= * = * =

Chapter 18: Splash

Queck smiled as Rook entered the bar. “Hey Rook, you got my note?” Rook chuckled, “Yep. I read what was on the other side as well.” Rook walked up to the bar and got the bartender’s attention. “Two Ice Beers please!”

The winter celebrations were about to begin. Queck and Rook drank their beers slowly and enjoyed the company. Rook looked at Queck, “Are you applying for the red cap post too?” Queck nodded, “Yep. We can take the exam together!” Rook smiled, “That would be nice.” Queck looked at the entrance to the bar, “They’ll be starting the karaoke soon Rook, come on, let’s get ready.” Rook smiled and finished his beer.

After a night of karaoke and dancing, the Sligs were really tired. Queck had never had as much fun in all his life. Only Rook could have sung “Winter with wonderslig” with such enthusiasm. Everyone else joined in with the singing and then a conga line was formed.

Surely this would be a night to remember.

[B]
floofyderg.live

12-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I'm not really sure what to say... Drama seems to be grinding to a halt... Or is this Scraper's time for vengance? Only time will tell.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

12-21-2009, 03:34 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Yeah, I'm winding things down now. I would like to return with a new Rook story in the future though. Right now I'm thinking what I should do. I want to finish Dubious Ones and make some more Slig games.

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Sorry I havn't commented on this chapter
But it is as good as ever, and I agree with Oddey that the drama seems to be grinding to a halt, but we'll just have to wait and see

01-02-2010, 04:08 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Sorry for the wait, but I think you'll find it will be worth it.

= * = * =

Chapter 19: Trial by Fire

Rook awoke early the next morning. He slipped his blue cap onto his head and picked up his gun and equipment. The exam would be starting soon. Rook made his way down the long hallway, past the lunch hall and towards the large training room.

Rook gasped as he opened the door and saw a long line of Sligs. The blue caps were standing in a line, ready to take part in this year’s exam. Rook's paler skin and fangs set him apart from the other Sligs, but each Slig had their own individual marks. For some it was a change of skin-tone, for others it would be the bruises and cuts recieved from day to day life. Rook could recognize Queck from his stance anywhere. As Rook stood in line, the examination ceremony began. As the trumpets sounded, a black capped officer walked among the Sligs. “Baeny, Corbin, Ewen, Garlett, Henk, Lenza, Queck, Rook, Zzanto” The black capped officer crossed out each name on his list and then proceeded to explain the rules.

The black capped officer cleared his throat, “The rules of this exercise are simple. You must defeat one of your fellow competitors using the paintballs provided. Any Slig who is hit with the paintballs more than twice is eliminated from the competition and has failed. Anyone who manages to survive this test will be promoted to red cap status”

The Sligs moved their feet nervously. Rook was trying to remember Flek’s advice. ‘Keep calm’, he had said to Rook. ‘The combat arena is like a maze. When you find an opponent, you must open fire without warning. Once the first shot has been fired, they will be aware of your presence. After that, trust your instincts and dodge their attacks with your Dark Gift. I will be watching you. Good luck’

[B]
floofyderg.live

Last edited by AlexFili; 01-03-2010 at 02:26 AM..
01-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Getting excited now
Good chapter

Last edited by Slig75; 01-04-2010 at 08:14 AM..
01-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Trumpets?

Nagging aside, I wonder who will turn out victorious.

:

01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Just a note, this series is going to be longer than 20 chapters. Thanks for the replies. Hope your 2010 will be a productive one.

= * = * =

Chapter 20: Trial by Fire

The black capper walked towards the blue cappers and looked at them all in turn. “Firstly, you will load your guns with this paintball ammunition”, he said. As the black capped officer pointed towards the ammunition, the Sligs moved towards it and loaded their guns. “Good. Next, you will be led to the start of the combat arena. There are twenty entrances to the arena, you will each enter at a different gate”

A LCD screen was switched on, randomly switching between different numbers. The blue caps were called out by name and then sent to a numbered gate. Rook walked to gate number 10. A black capped officer was guarding the gate. “Alright kid, go on in. When the timer stops, you can start fighting”

Rook stepped in, the gate closing behind him. The black capped officer placed a lock on the gate. The timer counted down as the recruits entered the maze. As soon as the timer reached zero, a loud beep was heard and the arena changed colour from dusky yellow to a more potent blue. Rook walked around the maze for a few minutes. It was large enough to give enough fighting space for each competitor.

Rook stopped moving. He could hear a pair of Slig pants in the distance. His extra sensory hearing gave him a slight advantage. He backed up against a wall, giving a deep sigh. “One”, a voice behind Rook whispered. Rook was about to turn around when he was shot in the chest with a paintball gun. Rook rolled out of the way and made sure he wasn’t hit again.

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
enchilado
I don't even know!

: Nov 2009
: Brisbane, Australia
: 2,749
enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

Uhoh! Good chapter!
01-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Oh No, bad start for Rook
Good chapter

01-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Rook's going to have to use his awesome hyper abilities to help him win. Personally, I would have sat still in an easily defended position and waited for the opposition to show up. Either that or hide somewhere.

:

01-05-2010, 05:20 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Which is precisely what the other guy did while waiting for Rook

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

The only thing he wasn't too smart about was whispering "one". Sure, he can guarantee a direct hit, but still. Nobody's smart enough to do everything though.

:

01-06-2010, 07:12 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

I suppose you're right. I think he was showing off though.

= * = * =

Chapter 21: Unforgiven

Rook was hiding behind a wall. The wet paint still dripping from the mark which had been made upon him. Rook growled and felt around for the safety switch on the gun, clicking it with one of his long fingers. This time, Rook would wait for the other Slig to make his move. He heard the Slig’s pants whirring closer and closer. Rook jumped across from the wall and leapt out into the open. He took aim and shot the paintball at the Slig. One paintball hit the Slig’s chest. The Slig was stunned temporarily. Rook used this time to run towards another gap in the maze. He heard the Slig take aim but Rook rolled on the ground and evaded the paintball shot.

Rook smiled, his back facing the maze. Now it was an even match. The Slig could hardly believe his bad luck. To be fighting a Dark Gift victim was definitely not a good sign. Still, his training had paid off and he had managed to sneak up on him easily enough. Perhaps he could accomplish this again. Rook had found a way to grab the Slig’s attention.

The Slig heard a noise and rushed towards the source. He spun around a corner to see a metal container. The container had been hit by a stone. Rook took this opportunity to take aim and shot the Slig in the back with the paintball gun. The Slig gasped, but caught his composure. He spun around and shot Rook on one of his tentacles. Rook’s adrenaline was going into overdrive; he hardly felt the paintball hit him at all. Instead, Rook carried out his plan with efficiency.

Rook performed a forward roll, while coming out of the roll he slapped the Slig’s face. While the Slig moaned, Rook grabbed the Slig’s gun and threw it aside. Before the Slig could do anything else, Rook swept his leg underneath him. The Slig was tripped up and fell onto the floor, his back meeting the maze’s hard floor. The Slig let out a yell as Rook aimed the paintgun at the Slig’s chest and fired. The crimson paint splashed as it hit the Slig's chest, causing him to stop yelling and stare up at the figure above him.

Three hits. Rook wins.

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Good chapter

01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Personally, I think I'd have buggered off, and watched my back in the procces. And maybe ditch the slig pants for the sake of stealth. Of course, that's not accounting for Rooks "talents"

Is it only one competitor he needs to beat or is to come out victorious over all of them.

:

01-08-2010, 02:30 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Chapter 22: Victor

A siren blared and Rook's area was lit up by a powerful beam of light. A voice from the tannoy sounded crackly and full of static, "Move to the nearest gate" Rook nodded and headed in the direction of one of the gates. He turned around and saw the other Slig still lying on the floor. He walked back and held out his hand, "Come on, get up"

The Slig grabbed Rook's hand and pulled himself up. Rook smiled, "There you go, what's your name?" The Slig turned to face Rook, it's "Baeny" Rook chuckled, "Okay Baeny, let's get out of here" Rook lead them out to the nearest gate. They could hear other people still fighting and firing paintballs at each other.

Flek was there with the other red cap officers. He walked up to Rook and saluted. Rook saluted back, along with Baeny. "At ease. Good job Rook. You have now been promoted to red cap status. However, you're about to learn something new which will surprise you" Flek took out a spare red cap and gave it to Rook. "Look towards the front of the hat and tell me what you see" Rook squinted and could just make out five tiny black dots. "Dots, what are those for?", he asked. He looked up at Flek and saw that he had a big grin on his face. Instead of the five black dots on Flek's cap, he could see four golden stars, with a single black dot to the right of the fourth star.

Flek chuckled, "Like these? It took me two years of dedicated service to earn them" Rook gasped, "Wow Flek, I had no idea about these" Flek smiled, "Of course not. After all, it didn't concern you before. Now it does"

Flek then turned to look at Baeny. "As for you, you have failed and as such... you may not apply for the exam for another three months" Baeny gasped, "Three whole months?!" Flek frowned, "Take the time to improve your skills. You managed to shoot Rook twice, which was good. But we can make no exceptions. Everyone who failed the exam will have to wait as well. You are not alone" Flek placed his hand on Baeny's shoulder, before leading him away.

Rook had totally ignored all of this. He looked at the red cap with the five black holes. "So close, no matter how far" He placed the cap on his head, turned away from the maze and let out a single tear of happiness. 'Thanks Flek', he thought to himself.

The next year would be tough for Rook, but he would be ready. He had friends, he had a few enemies too... but most importantly... he had hope.

= * = * =

I wonder if anyone managed to find the quotes I put in. The first was from Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, the second quote was from Metallica's song Nothing Else Matters. By the way, my favorite Metallica song is The Unforgiven, hence the last chapter title!.

Well I guess that's about it for now. I've wrapped up all the major plotlines and I've given everyone a reason to stick around and wait for the next chapter. I'll try really hard to get some kind of Slig based game out sometime in the future.

I'd like to thank everyone who has left comments here. Particularly Oddey, Slig75 and Enchilado. Without you I wouldn't have had the motivation to go through and finish this story. It means a lot to me.

I'd also like to thank whoever made "Interview with a Vampire". It gave me the idea to put a vampire style power system in this story. I hope I didn't over-use the vampire element like Twilight did.

As for Rook's next year, well if you're interested you can read the following;
#1 - Rook learns what it's really like to be a red cap officer
#2 - Scraper finally gets the one thing he has been seeking for a very long time
#3 - Something will happen which will change the way the prison gangs work forever

[B]
floofyderg.live

Last edited by AlexFili; 01-08-2010 at 02:44 AM..
01-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Well done indeed AlexFili. Maybe you should try something that has nothing to do with sligs at all next? That'd be an interesting twist. After all, you've done a lot of slig-related work.

:

01-08-2010, 04:43 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Not counting the Intern story?

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Excluding that one then. Even if I wasn't, you've definately worked most with sligs.

:

01-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Slig75
Sniper Wasp

Slig75  (20)

Great story
I hope to see the next one soon
Great stuff

01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

That's because I like them!

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

I think that's apparent in your signature.

Where's Ego Trip anyway?

:

01-09-2010, 06:03 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

Good question. I'll try and think what I want to do with that story.

[B]
floofyderg.live

01-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

I look forward to it if it's something good you decide to do.

: