Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
OddYouko
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2007
: Arkham Asylum
: 1,231
OddYouko  (166)OddYouko  (166)

Those are all really great! Reading them makes me wanna keep playing!
I can't wait for new places, items, creatures etc. I like this one better then the other places. <__< My twin made an account and got bored. So I'm only going to this one which is really addicting!
I love it!
Sleep well my Abe babe~

April 13th, 2007 - October 14th, 2016

07-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: England
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

Just thought I'd alert Ajiellyn to a couple of bugs at the moment-

There is a tile by the first row of conveyor belt barrels that warps you into the Dream again, forcing it to be reloaded.

The conveyor belt has a couple of gltiches. When you stand on the barrel on the belt, it warps you straight to the end of the conveyor belt instantly.

The wall behind the little control room can still be walked through

The hatch where the barrels are lifted onto the conveyor belt still has walls you can walk through. Same for the empty conveyor belt.

The empty covneyor belt is also buggy- you step onit and you slide towards the end of the belt a few spaces, then jump back to where you started in an endless cycle.

I realise these glitches are being worked on Ajiellyn, just wanted to alert you to them.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

07-04-2008, 12:47 PM
GlacierDragon
Super Stingbee

: Apr 2008
: 489
GlacierDragon  (114)GlacierDragon  (114)

The new map thing's looking really good, it took me a while to explore it all. Great work on everything.

I don't know if you know, but there's something wrong with the gamespeak for the female mudokon. Instead of speaking it makes some really weird (and funny) sound effects.

.:FanFictions:.
~The Madness Of Life - On hiatus~
~Shrown - Edited and completed~

07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

I looked around this morning and noticed...

When you try to walk into the entrance from the production lines you end up in the slig bunks.
When you take the southern exit from the production lines catwalk to the corridor you pass through a tiny, bizarrely coloured room en-route.
You can't go down the back stairs.

Also, I wasn't able to get into the lab or the stockyards, but this might be because you haven't done them yet.

07-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Wings of Fire
Beautiful Bastard

: Dec 2007
: Stafford
: 9,537
Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)

The dream so far looks awesome I had a very fun half hour with Max trying to avoid Aji and Oddyouko and when we finally managed to get away we decided it was time for a little payback...

That'll teach them Sligs.
“I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics,” Snyder said, a statement he immediately followed by saying, “Also, ‘It looks like a video game.’

07-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Brilliant! Bear in mind that that’s 68 clusters of straw, each of which had to be carried individually. That’s an average of 34 trips between us. Consider also that Aji had trapped me in a net, and I could not walk, only hop everywhere.

When you remember these things, you realize how bored I was that evening/how much cramp I had in my hand afterwards/how much fun this place is.

07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

So THT'S what I missed. Makes me wish I'd been in the Dream at the time instead of vaguely trying to do a bit of work on my fanfic.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

: Jan 2006
: 4,829
Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)

Wow. You've done so much since I last went on. Rupture Farms is massive! This is so much fun, I can't wait to see more. Will you be adding more rooms or some more outside areas?
07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

: Mar 2007
: Beneath the sink
: 1,157
skillyaslig  (124)skillyaslig  (124)

Wow, heck dur ner, I never saw this one before! Wonderful stuff that, so kewl how you can be an Oddworldian creature ^^

07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Splat

Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Right now we're having an insane slig fight, every man for himself with about six competitors, and if you get shot you tragically get teleported back to the entrance. We could probably make some interesting 'King of the Hill' style competitions like this: We select a square and all you have to do is stand in the specified place; of course there are half a dozen other people, all with guns, who are also trying to stand there too.

EDIT:
Someone was asleep at there post, so I got up to mischief...
Secret Agent Sliggy: Super Sneaky Time!

Anyone got a match?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Talps_2008-07-07_23-05-28.png
Views:	697
Size:	147.4 
ID:	9503  

Last edited by Splat; 07-07-2008 at 02:10 PM..
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

Well, I would join, but the bloody dream isn't loading up, rotten links! *dies*

07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)

You can only go in there when Aji is signed in, it should be pretty late in the day.
07-08-2008, 02:58 AM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

Damn, really? I though the dreams just stayed there, or somethin'...There are so many! I kept on walking into the wrong ones, cause they were so crowded...

07-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

I think it's cause the Dram is still being worked on.

And man was it fun yesterday. Me and WoF vs Splat and Max. Me and WoF got utterly slaughtered.

The King of the Hill game was fun too.

07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Splat

I have been doing a great deal of thinking (oh dear) mainly about the stat system, the minigames, the missing factory rooms, powers for scrabs and the village. Some of these ideas will be covered here.

I started off thinking about the stats we've previously considered giving to mudokons (strength) and sligs (moolah). It occured to me after thought that neither species currently benefits from their rewards and have been trying to think of ways to benefit this.

Firstly I propose removing 'stength' and replacing it with 'Spirit points' for mudokons, which will effect their possessing abilities; more on this later.

ROOM CHANGES

Since the Station only exists to allow mudokons to train strength, I think we should remove it, such it's such a leech of map space, in terms of the room itself, the train exterior and the train interior which would be needed.
So we remove the station and use it's space to build an armoury, which we place beside the slig bunks. The armoury can be tiny, say just four by five map squares, and the sligs can buy upgrades for their guns there, based on the fact that sligs' guns are now fatal.

GUN UPGRADES:
First every creature will be assigned a hitpoint level; this is the number of times they must be shot before they die. These stats don't have to be written down; they're just there.
Slogs (and vykkers) have 1 hp
Mudokons, paramites and glukkons have 2 hp
Sligs, scrabs and elums have 3 hp
So a slog must be shot once and then it dies, a mudokon twice, and so on. When a creature dies their hp returns to full.

Guns can be upgraded in terms of...
Range and Power. These stats start at level 1 and can be raised to level 3. Upgrading a stat to level 2 costs 20 moolah, upgrading to 3 costs a further 30 moolah (so 50 moolah to go straight from one to three). These stats are upgraded seperately, so it costs 100 moolah to get both stats to level 3.

At level 1 RANGE a gun's range is 2 squares; so they can shoot creatures standing in the square in front of them and the square beyond that.
At level 2 it's range is three squares.
At level 3 it's range is four squares.

At level 1 POWER a gun does 1 hp of damage, so kills slogs in one shot and everything else in more.
At level 2 it does 2 hp of damage, now killing mudokons, paramites and glukkons in one shot and sligs and scrabs in two.
At level 3 it will kill anything in a single shot.

At 12 midnight (dream-time) both these stats reduce by 1, so if they have level 3 range they'll have level 2 the next morning (because let's face it; no slig maintains their guns properly).

MORE FACTORY CHANGES

I think we should put the door from the hatchery to the stockyards as originally shown on the map, by turning one of the cages on the north-west wall of the stockyards into an entry point like the one from the meat storage room.

The Mudokon Bunks is rediculously huge, far bigger than it needs to be. I suggest we remove half-to-two-thirds of it, and use the map space for a laboratory, to go between the hatchery and the cafeteria. Munch's Master earlier volunteered to design this space, and I will willingly do so if he has changed his mind. I also plan to draw a design for the executive office based on Dripik's picture and the room as it currently exists in the dream.

SPIRIT POINTS

Spirit points will be the reward stats for mudokons, and will effect their abilities to possess other players. They will be upgraded in three different ways in the mudokon village.

One of these will be at a bar, a la Alf's Rehab and Teas. Mudokons, when scrubbing the factory, will rarely find moolah when scrubbing the factory, which can be used to buy brew in Alf's. Drinking brew will give a mudokon more spirit points, depending on the type of brew they buy (this I will explain in another post).

The next way of gaining Spirit Points is by finding spooce, which will rarely appear in the wilderness, and when it does appear will disappear again quickly, and taking it to a mill in the village. Sligs can also collect spooce and place it in the lab for moolah.

The final way will be by operating a Storm Circle in the village; a device which can only be used by four mudokons together. Again, this will be explained in my post about the village.

SPIRIT POINT BENEFITS

Mudokons start with 0 points. Every midnight (Furcadia Time) they will drop by 1 point. They can have an absolute maximum of 100.
15 points: mudokons can possess sligs.
40 points: mudokons can possess scrabs and paramites.
50 points: mudokons can possess glukkons.
80 points: mudokons can possess slogs.
90 points: mudokons can possess elums.
(100 points: mudokons can possess vykkers.)

SCRABS

Pressing F3 when playing as a scrab will charge Shred Power.
Pressing F3 when Shred Power is charged will activate Shred Attack, which will kill any other player in a neighboring square.

SLOGS

When playing as a slog, pressing F3 will make the slog lunge forward one square. Any players in the way will be injured as if shot. Slogs will be able to use this to move through gates and fences in the same way as elum can (but moving only 1 square instead of 2).

Paramites will also need a power to make them worth playing.
I have ideas for three minigames, but I dont know much about the possibilities furcadia presents, or if my ideas are any good. I'm considering a multiplayer game played by sligs in the factory's shooting range (behind the gambling room), a multiplayer fighting game for animals and mudokons in the stockards (Scrab Wrestling) and a single-player whack-a-mole style game for the village, played by mudokons, based in towers, with (if possible) highscore records.

I'll try and make a design for the Executive Office soon, and get the rest of my ideas posted. Hope this is all do-able Aji.

Last edited by Splat; 07-08-2008 at 01:43 PM..
07-08-2008, 05:05 PM
OddYouko
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2007
: Arkham Asylum
: 1,231
OddYouko  (166)OddYouko  (166)

Great ideas Splat! They're all really cool! I'm signed on right now. And I've noticed a few more things...it all looks so fun!
I'm planing on being on all night too! xD

Oh and if a Slog get's shot or something it could have the same whimper sound like in the games...if anyone has it.
Sleep well my Abe babe~

April 13th, 2007 - October 14th, 2016

Last edited by OddYouko; 07-08-2008 at 05:11 PM..
07-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Splat

That'd be a hard one to record cus of course it's always partnered with the sounds of crushing, exploding, slicing or shooting.
I'd really love the slig's cry of 'help' when you chant near them or when they drop down a hole in AE.

07-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Ajiellyn's told me she's working on the Slig Help sound, but she's struggling recording it. Same with the mudokon sympathy GameSpeak.

Good ideas Splat, but they'll probably take a long time to implement, especially since there's not a Native area yet. Still, they are good ideas.

Oh, and on the Mudokon Bunks, Aji said she's got a good idea of how they'll look anyway.

07-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Ajiellyn
Fan Corner Moderator
The Dreamer

: Feb 2005
: Vega Baja, Puerto Rico
: 249
Ajiellyn  (175)Ajiellyn  (175)

I want to thank everyone for their ideas/questions/comments/screenshots, they're all extremely important to me, more than I can express here in words, because they motivate me to continue what I'm up to.

I had a very elaborate answer to your suggestions typed out earlier today Splat but FireFox crashed and I lost it. Basically, they are very good suggestions, I was just adding details to each and trying to construct ideas of when they would make it into the game. I'll get to answering that once I'm feeling better.

I'm posting most of all to let you guys know that I've come down with something and the 'is anything new?' question might be answered with 'no' for a couple of days. I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I slept ten hours today and woke up at 5pm, then I was awake for four hours and fell asleep again at 9, and ... here I am, at 4:45 in the morning. In short, I've been feeling really crappy and sleeping a lot. It's probably just a summer fever or whatever they call it.

On the Slig 'help' sound: I am really trying to get that sound recorded but it just isn't working out for me. Anyone is welcome to try; if you have the PC version of Abe's Oddysee or Exoddus, download Audacity, set it to record from Stereo Mixer and try to get a Slig to shout help! without any background noise.

Thanks everyone for being patient! ^^

07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Venks
Clakker Store Clerk

: Dec 2005
: VA
: 759
Venks  (128)Venks  (128)
My hat goes off to you.

Ajiellyn. I just wanted to congratulate you on this beautiful thing you're creating. You see a lot of projects under taken by various people. They talk about it for a couple weeks and get everyone excited about it but then... nothing happens. The person doing the project either becomes too lazy or finds out the task is way more difficult then they originally assumed.

I just want to give you props for what you've done. When I logged on to see I was a pantless Slig I was ecstatic. I was determined to find those pants and when I did I was all too happy. You have done what only a select few have. Persevering this long never giving up. I just love seeing all the time you put into this it's a great inspiration for me to keep working on making my Oddworld game. Seriously this is the only Oddworld inspiration I have had in a long while. Role playing with strait text has become so dull. I very much look forward to using this MMOSG for role playing. Again Ajiellyn thank you for all the hard work and time you have put into this. You truly know how to stay Odd. You are my Odd Hero.
07-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

wow, this is pretty awesome. I'm quite the noob too. kudos on something pretty amazing.

07-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Ajiellyn
Fan Corner Moderator
The Dreamer

: Feb 2005
: Vega Baja, Puerto Rico
: 249
Ajiellyn  (175)Ajiellyn  (175)

:
Ajiellyn. I just wanted to congratulate you on this beautiful thing you're creating. You see a lot of projects under taken by various people. They talk about it for a couple weeks and get everyone excited about it but then... nothing happens. The person doing the project either becomes too lazy or finds out the task is way more difficult then they originally assumed.

I just want to give you props for what you've done. When I logged on to see I was a pantless Slig I was ecstatic. I was determined to find those pants and when I did I was all too happy. You have done what only a select few have. Persevering this long never giving up. I just love seeing all the time you put into this it's a great inspiration for me to keep working on making my Oddworld game. Seriously this is the only Oddworld inspiration I have had in a long while. Role playing with strait text has become so dull. I very much look forward to using this MMOSG for role playing. Again Ajiellyn thank you for all the hard work and time you have put into this. You truly know how to stay Odd. You are my Odd Hero.
Venks, you have no idea how much this means to me. I almost cried when I read it. The everyone-gets-excited-and-then-nothing happens actually happened to this project twice, so I hope I can make up for that by actually delivering this time.

My hope is that one day you'll enter the dream and find tons of people there, and that Oddworld roleplay can have a place on Furcadia.

-----------------------------------

I apologize sincerely for the recent lack of updates, apparently I had picked up a parasite somewhere and you can just imagine how that went.

Anyway, I jumped on the meat storage area and got it done. Suffice it to say that I spent so long looking at the main factory area that it makes me sick to think of animating all of those conveyor belts right now, so I'll do it when I feel comfortable with it again. For now I'm going to detail other rooms.

There are lots of nice places to hide around in here, hehe.

I was looking at photos of real industrial slaughterhouses for reference and I came pretty close to vomiting at one point. Eugh. The Scrabs and Paramites here were actually colored in Photoshop and then converted to Furcadia's 256-color range. It worked pretty well, but some people may hate the style...

I had a hard time deciding what they would look like suspended. I left their limbs relatively rigid because they just don't appear flexible enough to dangle down lifelessly.

Next areas I'll work on: Kitchen, Warehouse, and train station, because those are easy ones.

Can anybody make some concept art of the Cafeteria and Gambling Rooms?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ajiellyn; 07-23-2008 at 10:20 AM..
07-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

WOW! I must say, that's the best room I've seen so far. I'm speechless.
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Wow! Makes me want to throw up all over my keyboard! Stupendous work, Aji!

07-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Venks
Clakker Store Clerk

: Dec 2005
: VA
: 759
Venks  (128)Venks  (128)

I hope your dream becomes a reality Ajiellyn. I'll do anything within my power to help. ^^
07-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

This is brilliant. I spent a good portion of the morning running away from Max and his gun this morning.

07-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Ah, I love this. I log back on to see more updates! This is the reverse of most OW projects- instead of starting good and tailing off, this has started good and got better and better. Also, I'll get back to work on the Cafeteria art ASAP Aji.

07-27-2008, 11:59 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

Then I might as well do some concept art on the Gambling Room.

...So many things to draw these days... Exchange Alien, requests, concepts...

07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Sanssouci
Fuzzle

: Jan 2008
: where
: 139
Sanssouci  (131)Sanssouci  (131)

Are they are particular times when the dream tends to be available? I'm eager to give it a go but haven't managed to find it open yet.
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

I think Aji need to have been online recently in order for it to work.

I am going cold turkey. I neeeed to play it.