Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

Oops, my bad. What do you think of the name? Fangus sure sounds Oddworldy enough, and the plot sounds like typical Oddworld, but one can never be sure.

03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Angalok
Stingbee

: Feb 2005
: Virginia, U.S.A.
: 99
Angalok  (10)

If Fangus is a highland shepherd, I think his name is probably a combination of "Angus" (typical rural Scottish name) and "Fang" (considering LawnChairFire described him as a hulking beast).

Personally, I doubt that this is some prank by LawnChair. Anyone who has HK-47 as their avatar is good people in my book (you meatbags). If it is a joke, it's Game Informer's, and a poor one at that. Considering Oddworld has such a small but rabid fan base, it'd be pretty cruel to stick it to us. Star Wars geeks or Trekkies, yes, but leave Oddworlders alone! I doubt it's a joke at all, really, because if it were I think the described plot would be more contrived to get us excited. "Abe and Munch team up with the Stranger to topple the Glukkon Queen!" Something suspicious like that. Such an out-there plot as a rabies-insane shepherd and his Gamespeak-driven herd isn't a likely ruse.

Also, Conker Tribe (another nice avatar, "What can I do-izz for you-izz?"), I actually doubt that the Invaders are anything but local ones. I have boundless faith in Oddworld's story-crafting, and they'd never stoop to such cliche's. I'm just voicing my vow that the human race shall never defile Mudos lest I rampage!
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

wow... this sounds really cool... if it's true, of course.

sry, but until I see pics or word from OWI, I'm still skeptical.

Fangus...... hmmmmmm........

EDIT: mabey invaders could meen that Fangus takes place on another continent other than Mudos??? One that doesn't have Glukkons or Sligs- and the Glukkons invade.

ANOTHER EDIT: any word on if Fangus will be the third quintology game?
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

Last edited by sligster; 03-17-2005 at 02:55 PM..
03-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
If it is a joke, it's Game Informer's, and a poor one at that.
I think that's what MojoMan was referring to, because it's only halfway through the month (way to early for an April Fool's joke) and the magazine is the April issue.

03-17-2005, 03:05 PM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

: Aug 2004
: North Carolina
: 36
LawnChairFire  (10)

Another note, the acquisition by Maj of this game is still going on and they are likely to make an announcement within the next few weeks about this as it goes through...
"Now, it is time for you to sleep. It is true.... The joy of death and destruction is still with me. But people have the ability to choose. And my hands, blood-stained as they may be, are needed somewhere. The joy of knowing that is far more important to me." -Faust

03-17-2005, 03:08 PM
tentacle_orgy
Thudslug

: Dreamscape
: 169
tentacle_orgy  (10)

Are you too ****ing stupid to show us a picture, or a scan, or some sort of proof?...
03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

LawnChairFire  (10)

Perhaps you should give yourself the same designation and read the damn topic.
I transcribed the article, however I have no scanner and businesses that do scanning won't scan copyrighted material, so until I can make my way to a public library tomorrow, I'm SOL.
Now, if you think swearing at me will alleviate this, do continue.
"Now, it is time for you to sleep. It is true.... The joy of death and destruction is still with me. But people have the ability to choose. And my hands, blood-stained as they may be, are needed somewhere. The joy of knowing that is far more important to me." -Faust

03-17-2005, 03:17 PM
tentacle_orgy
Thudslug

tentacle_orgy  (10)

Fanugs might have come from a place that was truly Odd, where Industrialists have not discovered...The Invaders might be the first of the Industrialists to come there to exploit the natural resources...
03-17-2005, 03:19 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

on a side note, yes I believe that it was Majesco that did the Bloodrayne and Psychonauts games. <3 Majesco
Asshole

03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

'All nations of Oddworld seems a bit too much for a hero.'

Indeedles, i'm a bit wary of this as well. Sounds a bit too...crap.

Unless it's something to do with pollution or something. Meh.

'Yeah, Dipstikk is totally right.'

Or, as i am actually called, Jacob. Unless Dipstikk said something along those lines as well.

Anyway, if it is a real thing then i would suspect that this idea and game would be a stab at the American Government, and it wouldn't surprise me if the invaders were a race with similarities to the American Government.

I'm also quite intrigued as to how they'll make this title "stand-out". Thus far with all of their games they've had one main selling point. 'Stranger' had the Live ammo, Abe and Munch had Gamespeak, but since this has already been done, i wonder how far they'll go to make this game seem original. Though the Sheep things seem interesting.

Also, when LCF was describing Fangus, he did sound a bit like Stranger himself. A mane and all, with a Lion-esque face.

I think the name's a bit sh*t though. 'Fangus'. Especially with the country being all 'Fangustan'.

Hmmm...but as i said before, there're few things that affect the world on a whole. And since the OW games have a tendency to reflect certain happenings on Earth, it wouldn't surprise me if Oddworld brought up the issue of pollution and global warming. Possibly disease. And even terrorism.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Are you too ****ing stupid to show us a picture, or a scan, or some sort of proof?...
Chill the hell out, what's wrong with you? He already said that he doesn't have a scanner, so don't be a dick about it.

03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
tentacle_orgy
Thudslug

tentacle_orgy  (10)

:
Chill the hell out, what's wrong with you? He already said that he doesn't have a scanner, so don't be a dick about it.
But that sounds an awful lot like an excuse...Maybe it's just me...
03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

It does, but he's already said that he doesn't expect us to believe him (damn you, reverse phsycology) so we'll just have to trust him until the magazine comes out or Oddworld announces it. Even if it's not true, it's makes for a good topic.

03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Solitus
Zappfly

: Mar 2005
: Denmark
: 17
Solitus  (10)
Drunk

i for one dont believe it,
there is always 4 years betwen each game except exodus.
and he says that they will announce it in a few weeks and what day happens to be an a few weeks oh thats right april the first,
also did a google search on it wouldnt find anything related to oddworld
03-17-2005, 05:23 PM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

: Orlando, Fl.
: 124
ConkerTribe  (10)

Ok, a few things wrong with your post:

1. 4 years between each game? Yeah, so, that would be 9 years total, making it 1995 when Exoddus came out, which I severely doubt it did. 1997 is more likely.

2. If they have the Stranger engine, it should be no problem since they said they loved the engine. Also, it's easier to create games nowadays.

3. You wouldn't find it on GOOGLE, because it was published in GAMEINFORMER.

03-17-2005, 05:50 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

I dunno if anyone else has taken notice, but after reading Jacob's post about the game possibly being a stab at the American Government.... he may be right.

Lets look at the supposed facts....

Fangustan... rhyms with Pakistan/Afganistan/ whateverstan
Invaders.... America "invaded" [foreign country ending with "stan"]

small details, yes, but a stab at the American Government would be likely
Asshole

03-17-2005, 06:03 PM
KintoKid
Stingbee

: Oct 2002
: Ca
: 85
KintoKid  (19)

For people who are skeptical of the "too-soon-to-be-true" release date: in an interview sometime pre-Stranger, Lorne told Alf [I know it was once on Oddworld.com, but I checked the site and it seems they haven't updated their Archive page in quite some time] that OWI was going to shoot for a future release cycle of one game a year. If this new game uses the Stranger engine, then I wouldn't be suprised [although, to tell the truth, I am] if there was a new game out sometime next year.

I'm 'cautiously optomistic' about the probablility of this being true.

03-17-2005, 07:01 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

: Nov 2004
: United States
: 1,275
odd chick  (10)

Hmmm..this is very interesting. As much as I would like to believe this, I really can't as of now. I agree with Jacob also, I'm not very fond of the name 'Fangustan' for the country. I just want to wait and see if OWI says anything about this, then I will believe it.

Last edited by odd chick; 03-17-2005 at 07:04 PM..
03-17-2005, 07:11 PM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

LawnChairFire  (10)

Well folks, I'm grateful for the support thus far...but(uggh) if the library I try to get up with doesn't let me use it for, illegally I might add, scanning a page from a magazine, and the library where I know someone at can't do it, and the fact that Kinko's and other such stores can't do it by law, it's either going to be me buy scanner(not gonna happen) or everyone hates me for having to say that you'll just have to wait until you hear an official release...
Nothing definite on my end yet, so keep those fingers intersected and pray I can find a scanner...
And just to make this sound even worse on my part, I'm going with my family up to the mountains for four days for various personal reasons, so I won't be back until Tuesday...
If this raises greater doubts than so be it, my only source of comfort will be the issue of GI that presently rests on my bed, beyond that I can hope for little more support or understanding...

03-17-2005, 07:15 PM
tentacle_orgy
Thudslug

tentacle_orgy  (10)

:
Well folks, I'm grateful for the support thus far...but(uggh) if the library I try to get up with doesn't let me use it for, illegally I might add, scanning a page from a magazine, and the library where I know someone at can't do it, and the fact that Kinko's and other such stores can't do it by law, it's either going to be me buy scanner(not gonna happen) or everyone hates me for having to say that you'll just have to wait until you hear an official release...
Nothing definite on my end yet, so keep those fingers intersected and pray I can find a scanner...
And just to make this sound even worse on my part, I'm going with my family up to the mountains for four days for various personal reasons, so I won't be back until Tuesday...
If this raises greater doubts than so be it, my only source of comfort will be the issue of GI that presently rests on my bed, beyond that I can hope for little more support or understanding...

You are so full of bullshit that it's amusing...
03-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

:

ANOTHER EDIT: any word on if Fangus will be the third quintology game?
wouldn't it be the fourth game?

03-17-2005, 09:07 PM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

ConkerTribe  (10)

Here's my artist's rendering of Fangus:

03-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

IT'S NOT REAL!!!
THAT ART IS CRAP!!!
VERY GOOD ART MADE ON PAINT IS NO PROOF THAT THE GAME EXISTS!!!
YOU ARE MOCKING OWI!!!

03-17-2005, 09:20 PM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

ConkerTribe  (10)

Wow thanks for the compliment. I actually worked hard on that sketch. Thanks a lot <_<

03-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

Note the "Very Good" part
I love the work. Completely Awesome, but I'm still skeptical on the whol game and all

03-17-2005, 09:48 PM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

: Sydney
: 1,631
mudling  (123)mudling  (123)

this art is great, but the character looks a bit like stranger!

03-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

I was going to add that

03-17-2005, 09:54 PM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

: Mar 2004
: Poland
: 224
_GrubHunter_  (10)

But hey, the Fangus on your art-work, is not Hulk...hmm?

03-17-2005, 10:16 PM
WineDarkSea
Bolamite

: Mar 2005
: USA
: 73
WineDarkSea  (10)

I liked your drawing Conker

I do have to say that I am not really buying into all of this just yet. I am gonna wait for word from OWI, EA, or Maj. After running "Fangus+Oddworld" on google, game informer, and oddworld.com, I've found nothing so far. THe April Fool's idea seems pretty likely to me

Well Lawn Chair, I live in North Carolina. If you can tell me where you got your advanced copy of GI, I will buy a copy and scan it for everyone here. This should get around the 'legal problems.'
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

:
there is always 4 years betwen each game except exodus.
and AO.. Oh, and MO.

Anyway, they did claim that they wanted to produce one game per year...