02-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

: Apr 2005
: WYYYARRGwop...Sounds fun, huh?
: 1,625
Dark Elite_H2  (10)

:
I like Americans. I don't think i'm racist. But alot of people are, Not towards Americans, But different religions.
Ah.
Not towards Americans, in general? Mostly towards religion?
...Still gets me stupid to why some brits don't like americans...

My arts page...check it out XP

My main page ^^

02-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Scrab Watcher
Boombat

: Aug 2004
: Ireland
: 212
Scrab Watcher  (10)

:
And that makes me think of another question: Are shopping carts used often in other countries? And when you go to the grocery store or where ever (maybe a market or something), do you take your own bag to put your food in or does the store provide you with plastic/paper bags?
Yes, we use 'shopping carts' but we call them shopping trolleys, or just trolleys. With bags, you usually take your own, since a tax was introduced a few years ago whereby you must buy plastic bags at the checkout, rather than get them for free. Me, I think it's a good idea since people are less likely to throw something on the road if they had to pay for it.

Question from me: Are there generally known terrorist/illegal shenannigans/divided politics to the extent of violence where you are?

For me, being Irish, yes. The IRA (which I won't start talking about) is an old terrorist group, who are supposedly disarmed. They also supposedly had/have links to Sinn Fein, a political party. I'm not going to say more on that for my own good since I'm not well enough informed.
Also, during the weekend riots broke out in Dublin over a march. This involved looting, burning, smashing, throwing things, and about 14 injured people (both civilians and gardaĆ*<-police). Last year in Northern Ireland (well, it's sort of Ireland...kinda ^_^') there was violence on the streets, where cars were burnt out, riots, businesses torched, streets blocked. All that jazz.

Question from me: Any slang or idioms to share?

Yip. I think 'muniah', 'caiped'. 'How's she cuttin' and 'she's cuttin' fierce' are specific to a particular area.
Minging - smelly, disgusting
Muniah - delicious
Caiped - turned over ('The car caiped')
How's she cuttin'? - How's it going? (Note: country slang, I'm pretty sure this is specific to a particular area)
She's fierce! - positive statement('Nice wall.' 'Oh, she's fierce!') (Note: country slang, see above)
What's the craic? - casual greeting/'what's going on?'
Any craic? - Any news?
Culchie - someone from the countryside
Skanger - a chav
Grand - alright/good
Your man - referance to an adult or relatively mature male
Your one - referance to an adult or relatively mature female

02-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I do wonder exactly why the British hate - or make fun of - Americans. It is very easy, to be honest, all the laughable things the U.S. government/army/citizens do that we hear about. I think it's more culturally ingrained than anything. Everyone else laughs at Americans, so we grow up the same way. Possibly you've replaced the Irish in that sense.

A paraquote from Jack Dee's Happy Hour several years ago:
American tourist couple interviewed on street: I'd like to know why the British hate the Americans so much.
Jack Dee: Sorry, it's only a half-hour programme.

See, it's more the mockery itself that's fun rather than any content behind it.

But this is about nice cultural differences. I can see this could start turning sour.

02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

well, We did tear ourselves away from England, like some teenager away from his parents. but besides that, I may be because they're jealous

02-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

We're not exactly jealous, we just laugh at the idea that you think we're jealous. Kinda complicated? Lol.

And if your whole: 'We're better than you' attitude doesn't encourage the casual racism, then I don't know what does.

02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

i never said we were better, just wondering along with everyone else. you're the country without all the fat people, kudos to you

02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

I didn't mean anyone personally, even though DE_H2 pretty much said it.

I meant america as a whole. They jus' be playin' hate on our lil' island hood foo'.

02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
CheeseOfGlory
Fuzzle

: Jul 2005
: deep within your jesus
: 142
CheeseOfGlory  (11)

I hate America's government, but I sure do love jello.

100 posts? I THINK WE SHOULD HAIL SATAN

02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

You know what youse' guys's problem is? You're underpaid, undersexed, and under Eisenhower. Oh yeah. I went there.

Britain smells.

(Yes. Second totally productive post in this thread.)
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
Yes, we use 'shopping carts' but we call them shopping trolleys, or just trolleys.
Hehe, that sounds so weird to me.

:
With bags, you usually take your own, since a tax was introduced a few years ago whereby you must buy plastic bags at the checkout, rather than get them for free. Me, I think it's a good idea since people are less likely to throw something on the road if they had to pay for it.
Wow! That's a great idea! Too bad nothing like that would ever happen here.

:
Question from me: Are there generally known terrorist/illegal shenannigans/divided politics to the extent of violence where you are?
Um... not really. At all, especially in my region. But it's America, so our government gets hundreds and hundreds of threats a day. =/

All I have to say about this British people and whoever hating America is I wonder why you guys have never directly attacked one of the Americans here, using the stereotypes you're always saying about us. Heh, the funny thing is without the "location" option and if no one said anything, we'd all have a hell of a hard time telling who was from where unless we payed attention to the tiniest details. We're really not all that different. Not all of us are as bad as people who have never even stepped foot on American soil, like Havoc for example, says.

02-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Okay, let's clarify. People across the world may dislike America but they don't hate them to the point of starting a war or beating anyone up. If you're wondering why, I think the best explanation came from South Park: "The reason why we hate you is because you can't understand how anyone can hate you!". America, as a nation (not individuals, of course) has a "God bless America" mentality that basically implies "God fuck everyone else". Plus there is the stereotype that Americans are undereducated, unintelligent but overpaid and spoilt.

Now, spending time in the US I have learnt that that is not true at all. Most people I've met here (in California at least) are friendly, nice people who are, frankly, embarrased by their government's foreign policy.

But the fact remains that most Americans are profoundly ignorant of the rest of the world. I've only met one or two Americans my age who have travelled outside of the USA (Mexico not included).

:
And as for the cultural differences; What good differences DO I have? I killed the Jews, fer cryin' out loud!
Excuse me? Am I missing a punch-line here?

02-28-2006, 03:41 AM
Godlesswanderer
Naked & Pimping

: Dec 2004
: Essex, England
: 1,183
Godlesswanderer  (22)

:
But the fact remains that most Americans are profoundly ignorant of the rest of the world. I've only met one or two Americans my age who have travelled outside of the USA (Mexico not included).
That reminds me of some guy I met on the internet once. He had obviously never been out of his state, let alone out of the country. He thought every country was a part of America and that every country used American dollars. I was laughing so hard I didn't tell him that wasn't the way the world worked. And when I say guy, I mean he was at least in his 30's.

:
Yeah, I've always found the different slang and common phrases interesting. We do use the word prick quite often though. Hmm, one of my old friends who moved to Tennessee from California found our use of the word "buggy" for shopping cart weird.
In England (at least where I live) we call them trolleys or shopping trolleys. If you aren't going to guy enough to fill the trolley there's also plastic baskets you can use to put stuff into. Some supermarkets also sell big plastic bags which you can use over and over and over and over and so on.

:
I can tell.
When I'm online, usually, when I meet brits, they don't like americans. (Even the irish! I've met a little boy who hates americans, even though he says he doesn't, I know)
I don't understand.
Was it because america beat their asses? Or is it because america is better than them?
It just hits me stupid!
What is the reason with the hate?!
No one really hates America. As Rich said, it's the general "We're better than you" attitude some Americans have.

02-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

America a giant group of spoiled rich stupid people? ummm...no...atleast not where I live. Southern Californian White kids though. Watch the OC, I know I don't

02-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

For most people, what they know of America comes from TV. So they think the country is full of rich white kids on the west coast, black gansta rappers on the east coast and poor, uneducated white trash in between.

02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

well, that would be how it is if you looked at a grand scale of things, but its not entirely true

02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

:
For most people, what they know of America comes from TV.
A-fucking-men to that. You would think that watching a documentary or a news report or two would make you a veritable expert on a damn country that you've never visited.

But meh. We're really not all that different. Brits and 'Merkans, I mean. As much as the majority of Britain will make fun of America and, to a certain extent, Ireland, the majority of America will make fun of France and, to a certain extent, Mexico.

Which I never really understood. France is good. We may have bailed them out of a few wars, but the American Revolution would have been a bitch if their navy weren't around.
02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

Posting on forums or generally talking to people on the interent cures the 'I hate {country}' syndrome.

My brother Jim, for instance. The ultimate 'I hate America' ignorant person, brainwashed by George Carlin and the like. Just posting on a few forum has pretty much instantly cured his attitude.

I don't really see why someone could hate the people on a country. Sure, many people can be annoying, but really what everyone is going on (like Nate said) is what is seen on TV.

02-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Like I've always said, all xenophobia (fear of people different to you) is based on ignorance. And even if people are not consciously racist they can be subconsciously. For instance, when I spent time in NYC and lived in a hostel just south of Harlem, I was very intimidated by all the African American people because I had only met one or two in my life and of course they mostly have a negative portrayal on TV. I suppose I thought they would hate me for being white or something. But then I met a few really nice African-American people and now have one or two friends as well so that apprehension is gone. It was never a conscious thing and I never consciously worked against it - just getting to know them raised my comfort level.

The same rule applies for any race/religion/person different to you because of the basic ignorance of 100% of the population (I mean, everyone is ignorant of something). So the 6 billion population of the world should all get together in one huge, friendly orgy.

:
But meh. We're really not all that different. Brits and 'Merkans, I mean. As much as the majority of Britain will make fun of America and, to a certain extent, Ireland, the majority of America will make fun of France and, to a certain extent, Mexico.
I have a theory that every country in the world has another country that they mock for their accent and alleged sexual activities with sheep. Australia has New Zealand, England has Wales, USA has Canada and South Africa has, for some reason, Australia.

03-01-2006, 11:46 AM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

:
I have a theory that every country in the world has another country that they mock for their accent and alleged sexual activities with sheep. Australia has New Zealand, England has Wales, USA has Canada and South Africa has, for some reason, Australia.
The canada bias thing is very rare where I live, we mostly hate Mexico in its common gneralisation that it's an armpit country filled with druglords (which is the truth in many cases from what I've seen).

A lot of people have been to Canada from my school and have helped to kill the rumor thats it's nothing but a frozen no man's land filled with lumberjacks with that funny accent.

03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2005
: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
The canada bias thing is very rare where I live, we mostly hate Mexico in its common gneralisation that it's an armpit country filled with druglords (which is the truth in many cases from what I've seen).

A lot of people have been to Canada from my school and have helped to kill the rumor thats it's nothing but a frozen no man's land filled with lumberjacks with that funny accent.
The only thing that you would hear in England about canadians (When people are taking the piss) Is the rumour about after every sentance they say "Eh?"
I'm sure alot of other people have heard about that.

Most countries are generalised though. I'm sure that most of it isn't true. If not all of it.

03-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

:
The only thing that you would hear in England about canadians (When people are taking the piss) Is the rumour about after every sentance they say "Eh?"
I'm sure alot of other people have heard about that.
They also all wear lumberjack clothing, play hockey, drink beer and live in a log cabin.

03-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Scrab Watcher
Boombat

Scrab Watcher  (10)

:
They also all wear lumberjack clothing, play hockey, drink beer and live in a log cabin.
All of them? In one cabin? How very quaint.

[attempt to justify post]
We don't have anything for or against Canadians in Ireland. The anti-English feeling seems to be dying out too.
[/attempt to justify post]

03-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
All of them? In one cabin? How very quaint.

[attempt to justify post]
We don't have anything for or against Canadians in Ireland. The anti-English feeling seems to be dying out too.
[/attempt to justify post]
Anti-English people? Never thought that would happen in Ireland...
:
Yeah, and that.

03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

I have a bad feeling that the term "Iraq" is now being turned into a term to describe something wigger or chav as you Brits would say. It is only just coming to surface, but I have been seeing tiny refernces here and there recently. Pretty horrible thing really.

03-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

How do you guys greet eachother?
here, with most teenage males, its a "what sup" or "wassup" with a low five turned around into a bump on the knuckles.
with most preppy girls, it's "hey girl" or "hey girlfriend" but with most punk girls its just a hey or something. Adults...I'm not sure. usually a handshake if they're in a buisness situation, and a bit more formal if they aren't meeting for the first time outside of a buisness setting. but inside the buisness setting, its like always the handshake.

the variations of the male teenager one could be they're own little handshake.
a trumpet player to another person is and handshake with "Hello, I'm better than you" but thats if the trumpet player knows a person cause if it was a first time meeting, that'd suck
If you're tall, intimidating, and have a nick name of carebear, you greet everyone with a hug and an optional "hey sexy"

03-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Scrab Watcher
Boombat

Scrab Watcher  (10)

Greetings:
'Hello'
'Hi'
'Hey'
'Well!'/'Well?'
'What's the craic?'
'Any craic?'

That's pretty much it around here anyway, and it works for anyone. The greetings become more informal further down the list. I have seen one set of three teenage males do this crazy complicated clapping greetings ritual, but I think it was just them. Oh, and for younger children, a secret handshake craze turns up every once in a while before fading out after about a week.

03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

With both my guy and girl friends, I usually give either some weird and bizarre look and say something completely random... or the conventional "Hey" or "Hi" with a little Ambar wave.

Censorship: Is it true that Britian (or any other people's countries here) have nudity on billboards and such? Also, from what I've heard, Australia is quite the opposite. I've read that many movies and video games are banned down under. And numerous movies from other countries are significantly editted and censored so a cleaner version can be sold there. To what extent does this hold truth? Is it really illegal to buy the versions sold in other places with more explicit content?

EDIT: Hah, my last visit to this thread was the 666th view.

Last edited by AquaticAmbi; 03-03-2006 at 06:23 PM..
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
Censorship: Is it true that Britian (or any other people's countries here) have nudity on billboards and such?
Not any that I have seen... Unless its models.. But then it still isn't nudity.

03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

:
Censorship: Is it true that Britian (or any other people's countries here) have nudity on billboards and such? Also, from what I've heard, Australia is quite the opposite. I've read that many movies and video games are banned down under. And numerous movies from other countries are significantly editted and censored so a cleaner version can be sold there. To what extent does this hold truth? Is it really illegal to buy the versions sold in other places with more explicit content?
It seems many things are banned in Australia, but not as many in NZ (don't quote me on it though).

I see many games at different outlets that say "Banned in Australia", but we stills gots them. Too bad they're all shockingly terrible games.

As for the illegal bit, I don't really think so. Nothing is that 'edited', I mean, we had the Incredibley Strange film festival. That was a gud'n.

1 Good thing about New Zealand: we have teh strongzor ganja, mon.

03-03-2006, 06:56 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

I thought you lived in Poland, Leto...

Anyway, so they're banned from being sold, but it's okay to own them?

Last edited by AquaticAmbi; 03-03-2006 at 06:59 PM..