TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

: May 2003
: R'lyeh
: 1,255
TheRaisin  (10)
Chapter XVIII

Lyra

With my sprained ankle and Ian's zombie-like gait, it took nearly ten minutes to reach the exit at the opposite end of the gigantic enclosure. I was relieved to see that Ian's wave of energy had wiped out all the robots-- in my weakened state, I would have had no chance of evading any oppositon.
The heavy steel door opened without resistance, and we stepped out into the hall. The fluorescent lights, in their artificial day/night cycle, had begun to dim as evening approached outside. To the right were the dormitories, the cafeteria, the examination room with its bizarre robotic monitors... no good hiding places. To the left lay a long corridor of unmarked doors. Any one of them could open into a small niche full of medical supplies and armaments with a heavy lock, or a roomful of robot guards. There was no time to spare; I turned left and ran down the corridor, Ian following silently behind. I tried several doors, but all of them were locked.
What a surprise.
Suddenly Ian grabbed my arm.
"We're being followed," he said. His voice was quiet and raspy and lifeless.
I scanned the hall behind us carefully, but saw nothing.
"There's nothing there."
Ian closed his eyes, and I could tell he was "tuning" his ESP.
"There!" He pointed, his eyes still closed.
I looked closely at the spot he pointed to. It just looked like a normal section of hallway, at the spot where the floor joined the wall. Except... were the lines just a little curved? Was the white tile just a little darker than it should have been?
Suddenly, the image jumped out at me like an old-fashioned "magic eye" book: one of the tiny spy robots. It had been standing perfectly still, its reflective hide blending in almost perfectly with the hallway, but when I saw it, it began slowly backing down the hall. Hefting the assault rifle, I chased it down and backed it up against the wall. It began scuttling like a cornered animal, it's claws scrabbling furiously as it climbed backwards up the wall. I took careful aim, then fired a steady stream of bullets at it. Most of them pinged harmlessly off the narrow front portion of it's body, leaving tiny scratches and dents. A few found their way under it's armor, hitting the wireframe legs. It's right front leg gave out, and it dropped to the ground, the damaged leg trailing uselessly. It shuddered a bit, and I took aim once again, confident that this tiny automaton would yield quickly to the tearing bullets.
A warning signal of precognition flashed briefly through my mind, but it was too late: in one swift movement, the robot crouched like a grasshopper on it's four hind legs and leapt into the air, slashing my left arm as it passed by.
Letting the gun dangle from my neck by its strap, I held my hand to the deep gash on my arm. The three fingers of the little robot's remaining front leg had locked together into a single long, wickedly sharp blade, which it held, dripping with blood, like the front leg of a praying mantis. It's other legs were braced for combat, and it whirred menacingly.
Infuriated, and with adrenaline pumping through me to counter the effects of blood loss, I grabbed the assault rifle and flung it into the air, catching it by the barrel. Wielding it like a cudgel, I bashed the robot into a tiny mess of twisted metal plates and circuitry. Finally, satisfied that it would not get up, I once again pressed my hand to the wound on my arm to staunch the flow of blood.
"Let's get out of here."

After several turns and twists in the hallway, I judged that we were far enough away from the destroyed training room that we would not be found immediately should someone search for us. Finding an unlocked door, I slipped inside and quietly closed and locked the door. I fumbled for a lightswitch. A tiny, dim bulb hanging from the ceiling snapped on, illuminating our dissapointingly unsecret hiding place: a janitor's closet.
Disheartened, I sat down on a liquid soap box.
"Great. It's only a matter of time before they find us here," I said.
But Ian seemed distracted. He kept looking around as if trying to find the source of a sound only he could hear. Finally his eyes rested in the far back corner of the long, narrow room.
"Aha."
He walked to the back of the closet. Following him, I saw that there was no floor: the tile simply stopped, and gave way to dirt. Ian crouched, sweeping dirt away from in front of him as if searching for something. A small metal ring was revealed, which he pulled up on.
A large square panel, about three feet by three feet, swung open, dirt and dust spilling off as it was lifted. In the hole it had covered, I could just barely make out a rusty iron ladder, and beyond that, cavernous darkness.
Ian stood and turned back toward the door from which we had come, raising his hand. I moved aside as a concentrated band of distortion rippled out from his fingers, and wrapped itself around a flashlight sitting on one of the metal shelves of the closet. As if moved by an invisible hand, the flashlight levitated a foot off the shelf and flew straight into Ian's hand.
"How are you doing that?" I asked as he wrapped his fingers around the thin transparent tube, and the shimmering energy dissapated.
"I don't know," he said. "I just can. If I think something, it happens. I'm sure it was their intention when they did whatever experiments they did to us to give us some kind of telekinetic powers, but I don't think anyone really knows how it works. But the ghosts have something to do with it, I know that much."
He shook the self-charging flashlight to power it up and switched it on and grasped it in his teeth, then began descending the ladder. Closing the hatch above me, I followed him down into the darkness.

The ladder plunged deep into the earth, finally ending several yards below the trapdoor, its ends held by bolts driven into a dark stone floor. Ian dropped past the last few rungs, tensed, and made a sweep of the darkness with the powerful flashlight. The beam revealed an immense, oblong artificial cavern, perhaps a hundred feet wide and several hundred feet long. The walls, floor and ceiling were of rough-hewn basaltic rock, carved straight out of the earth by heavy machinery. I could not see the far end of the cave in the stifling darkness.
Ian's shoulders slumped, and he slowly exhaled. His relief was comforting-- if there was anyone or anything in this cave, I thought, Ian would sense it.
He led the way toward the far end of the chamber, sweeping the beam of light back and forth. Finally we reached the far wall. Shoved against it in a neat row were ten or so large plastisteel supply crates, their lables obscured by layers of thick dust. A few feet away were a large mahogany desk and a leather office chair, looking ludicrously out of place in this subterranean vault. They too were covered in several inches of dust.
Ian swept his hand over the desk, and the dust was blown away by a wind that suddenly sprang up from his fingertips, revealing a single crowbar, a pad of paper covered in scratchy print, and a pen.
"You could have just blown it away, you know," I said.
He shrugged, and leaned down over the piece of paper. The writing looked scratchy and hurried. The first line started: "If you are reading this..."
I looked at Ian. "Do we really want to know?"
"It doesn't matter; we have to read it." He levitated the flashlight into a permanent hanging position illuminating the note, and began to read.
"If you are reading this, my final message, know that I am dead, or might as well be, having been captured and imprisoned by my own government. No credit card companies or goveernment datalinks, save perhaps one, have record of my existence: every trace of my life has been wiped clean, for the simple reason that I knew too much and didn't like what I knew. I write this now in hopes that it will soon be discovered and released, and my plight made public.
If you don't already know, this installation is dedicated to deforming and twisting humans for the purpose of creating an army. A handful of powerful political and technological leaders from around the world have formed a pact, pooling their resources in an attempt to expand the limits of human beings to create supersoldiers through experimentation on living human subjects. These experiments are unethical, painful, and potentially fatal to the subjects: according to my observations, an average of less than 20% of them live through the procedure and the following long-term coma."
Ian stopped and looked up.
"Less than 20 percent," he said softly. He looked as if he might be sick. He took a deep breath and went on.
"These few survivors are further thinned by dangerous and intense training sessions against active robot enemies using live ammunition. Some, faced with a life of servitude, choose to take their own lives.
Due to the nature of these experiments, the nominal age range for the subjects is twelve to eighteen years. Most minds outside of this range are destroyed by the cerebral and psychological tampering integral to the experiment, or their bodies are unable to survive the weakening coma that effectively shuts down their bodies while their minds reset.
Most of these children (for that is what they are-- children!) are selected based on their genetic makeups and psychological and physical resilience, then snatched away from their families, usually from third-world countries where there is no record of their birth, although in recent months they have been collected from major cities attacked by the Tenae and declared dead or missing..."
"Bastards," I said. "How could they do something like this?!"
Ian set the paper down, his hand shaking. He was breathing heavily, and his already pale face was even paler, and tinged with green.
"I can't keep reading this," he said. "I just need some time to think... rest. That's what I need."
He sounded desperate. I could tell he had been running on fumes, both physically and emotionally, and he now looked like he could keel over at any moment. He moved out of the funnel of light cast by the flashlight, to one corner of the cave. Within a few moments I heard his breathing become slow and steady, and I knew he was asleep.
I flipped through several pages of the message on the table, but I didn't dare read any more of it. I would already have nightmares about all this into my forties, if I even lived that long, and I did not think I needed to hear another grisly detail.
At the end was the author's name and title; "Ted Langford, Director of Janitorial Services", and a date: August 7, 2251. The name, of course, was meaningless to me, and the date as well, but the "P.S." below caught my eye.
"P.S. In this cave you will find several crates, the contents of which might be very useful, as well as an electrical generator. I took the liberty of excavating and stocking this cave in hopes that it might be of help to someone attempting to escape this hellhole. That's one perq of being a janitor: you have all the keys to all the rooms, and no one ever questions you. Good luck."
I grabbed the flashlight from it's bizzare hanging position-- as soon as I touched it, the field of distortion around it dissapated. Shaking it to renew the charge, I swept it in a circle, finally resting it on a small indistinct shape near the wall, a few yards away from the desk. As I got closer, I could make out more details. Sure enough, it was an old energy generator/storage unit, with a cable leading up the wall of the cave and into the darkness. It was not quite antique, but certainly old enough that I had only seen its kind in museums and old photographs. I searched it for a minute before finding the gauge showing how much energy it held-- not an LED readout, an actual gauge. It read as full. I had heard that these things could hold energy for practically as long as it took for them to fall apart. Still, I would not get my hopes up until I actually saw it working. The power switch was right next to the gauge. I lifted the clear plastic cover, switched the switch from "O" to "I", and stepped back to see what would happen.
The machine slowly hummed to life. A red power light flicked on. I looked up toward the ceiling, waiting to see what the cable led to. Slowly, yellow spots began to glow. I realized I was seeing the filaments of lightbulbs-- not fluorescent, thank God. The light increased in intensity and spread, banishing the deep shadows of the cave, filling it with a warm yellow light. I could now clearly see the lights fixed onto the featurless ceiling, the walls and floor, the supply crates, the desk, the generator, and Ian still asleep in a corner.
"Better," I said to myself, simply to hear a human voice. "What next?"
I took the crowbar from the desk. It was surprisingly heavy, or maybe it just seemed to because of my weakened muscles. I cracked open the first crate in the long row, and smiled at its contents. Inside were many square partitions. There were about twenty assault rifles to one side of the crate, each with its own square prism-shaped partition, and to the other side, stacks upon stacks of ammo clips. The next crate held enough foil-wrapped MREs, Meals Ready to Eat, to feed two people for two weeks.
I methodically worked through the whole row of crates, finding camping supplies, mechanical tools, spy hardware, communications equipment, clothing in several different sizes, everything one would need for a long-term hike and then some, down to the two-ply toilet paper... except the thing I most crucially needed at the moment.
I realized, when a drop of blood dropped from my arm and spattered onto the top of a crate, that I was in serious need of some medical supplies, the physical activity of this morning having re-opened the cuts. I had been bleeding almost nonstop for hours, including the new gash I had just received a few minutes ago from the surprisingly vicious spy robot. As if realizing this reinforced it, I suddenly felt terribly weak, in both body and spirit. I felt weaker than when I had awoken, and my legs had refused to respond. I felt weaker, I guessed, than I had ever felt in my life. It was not just the loss of blood; it was that the weight of my predicament had suddenly come crashing down on me. I had no memories. I had no life. Unless Ms. Fletcher had been telling the truth, I didn't even know my own name. If I had had parents, they were probably dead now, if not at the hands of the Tenae, then at the hands of the U.S. government. My government. The one person I had met who hadn't tried to kill me so far, besides a few nameless scientists, was Ian, and what proof did I have that he could be trusted?
I leaned back against the rim of the crate, and slowly slid down until I was sitting on the dusty rock floor. For the third time that day, I felt like just lying down and never getting back up. The first time, Ian had pulled me back up, both figuratively and literally. But now he was as disheveled and dispirited as I was, perhaps even more so after his unique encounter with the "ghosts".
Forget Ian, I thought. Back in that training room, you pulled yourself and Ian back up. You have arguably more information in your head than anyone else on the planet, a knowledge of practically every known martial art, a crateful of weapons, and no proof whatsoever that Ian has any kind of intention other than helping you! So get up, forget being tired, and figure out a way to escape before you're found!
I got up and rummaged through the crates until I found what I was looking for: a wrist computer. Unattached and in standby, it looked basically like a very tiny laptop, although those had been obsolete for years. I flipped open the protector panel and pressed the power button. The tiny screen flicked on instantly, to no big surprise: like the old generators, wrist computers could hold a charge for as long as they were intact, and this one had never been used before. Personally, I hated the things, but they did serve their purpose.
I found a box of data discs and slid one into the slot on the side of the computer. Then, holding it above the note on the desk, I set it to scan. After scanning all three pages of the note with the small scanning peripheral, I steeled myself and forced myself to look through the information. I found it was full of incriminating info, including a long list of names of people in on the operation, and the locations of several of the labs. I looked through the computer's files, trying to find one of the unmistakable Grid access icons, but to no avail. I realized it wouldn't have any reason for being hooked up yet: it was brand new, and the military hadn't activated it yet. I made two copies of the file, saved one to the computer, and saved one to the disc, then slipped it into a protective case and clipped it to a belt loop.
I spent about half an hour looking through all the supplies a second time, selecting useful bits and pieces, choosing rations, and piling them around the desk-- if we actually managed to escape the installation, it would be a long hike out of the mountains and back to civilization, since the nearest cities were along the coast. I didn't know the terrain or the exact distance, but I knew it would take a while. Oddly, when they downloaded information into my head, they neglected giving me any actually useful, practical information other than things having to do with combat. My only knowledge of things like survival techniques, geography, history (other than famous war tactics) was hazy and very limited, which meant I must have remembered some knowledge from school and life, even with my other memories gone.
I finished readying the supplies. Now we were almost ready... to escape!

---------------------------------------
Ian

My eyes still stung from burst blood vessels. The pain slowly brought me back to consciousness. I opened my eyes... and immediately leapt to my feet, ready to defend myself. My eyes were still blurry, but I could tell I wasn't in the cave. There was light-- a soft yellow glow.
I blinked several times, my eyes cleared, and I realized I was still in the cave. There were lights set in the high ceiling that had been turned on.
Lyra was a few yards away. She turned and saw that I was awake.
"Hi. I found a generator. Got the lights working. I guess you noticed."
"Ughhh," was all I could say. I slid back down onto the floor, and leaned against the wall to keep from slumping forward.
"Still tired?" she asked.
"Yeah."
I realized she was holding a roll of medical tape. Her arms were almost completely covered in it, and dark red blotches showed through it.
"You're still bleeding?"
"Not as much now," she said. "How's the burn?"
I looked at my arm, still hard and red, looking more like crabshell than human skin.
"It's pretty well cauterized, so there shouldn't be any problems. All the nerves are pretty much destroyed, so I can't really feel any pain."
She looked closely at the wound, and made an involuntary face of disgust.
"It'll leave a scar if you don't treat it," she said.
"I know. But it will heal well enough. It'll hurt like hell when it does, but I expect to be in a real hospital on the coast by then."
"Speaking of which," she said, "our friend the janitor left us some supplies for the trip." She motioned to two piles of supplies, food rations, weapons and ammunition.
I forced myself up and examined the supplies closely.
"Hmm. Should be everything we need. We just need some packs to carry it all."
Lyra pointed to one of the big plastisteel crates.
"Packs and camo gear in there." But almost as soon as she moved her hand away from the freshest wound, blood began flowing steadily from it again. She pressed her palm hard against the gash, wincing.
"We can't leave until those cuts stop bleeding. You're already starting to look pale. Where's the medical stuff?"
"Umm... there wasn't any. I found the med tape in the closet."
I sighed. "This guy left us all this stuff, but he didn't think to put in any medical supplies? No med foam? No stitch kits?"
"I guess not."
I started pacing. I couldn't help it, it was just a natural instinct.
"Dammit! I hate this!"
Lyra looked almost as pissed off as I was, but for her finding med supplies was even more urgent.
"I know. If this keeps up, I won't even be strong enough to escape. It's not going to stop!"
I kicked the dust in frustration, trying to think of what to do.
"I feel helpless, just hiding in here."
"Helpless? You crumpled up two robots like paper, and shut down another two hundred without even moving!" she said.
"And it almost killed me. If I try that again, it will kill me. If I thought I could get the supplies, I would try. But I'm not strong enough to take on more of those robots, and I wouldn't know where to find med supplies. I wish I could do something--"
Suddenly, I felt a sharp tug in a corner of my mind. The "ghosts" wanted my attention. As soon as I directed my attention towards them, they once again rushed into my mind and took over.
No! Not again!, I shouted at them as they forced me back into a corner of my mind.
Their reply was muddled and confused, somehow, but I could just make out the meaning:
We have something to show you.
I realized they were using my own brain to translate their messages into words. Alone, they could not manipulate matter or contact humans. They relied as much on the products of these experiments (like me) for a passage into the physical world as these would-be soldiers relied on them for their powers.
Lyra realized what was happening.
"Hello? Snap out of it!"
I watched as if through a window or computer monitor as the "ghosts" moved my body.
"Do not be alarmed," they said, almost in my voice, but somehow slightly different. They moved toward her.
What are you doing? Give me back control! I yelled.
Please, watch! We wish to help!
Lyra inched back. She moved slightly into a defensive pose.
"We are here to help."
They held my hands up. I could feel their power surge through me as they began to work.
-------------------------------------
Lyra

I watched every move intensely. If there was even a hint of treachery, I would not hesitate to defend myself, even if it meant hurting Ian... or at least his body.
His hands hovered a few inches from my face, palms out. I saw the familiar distortion in the air, only this time it was more gentle, more like ocean rollers than the typical white-water waves.
I experienced a moment of panic as it reached me, for my whole body suddenly froze. My first thought was that I had been tricked, and they had paralized me somehow. Then, I felt the energy begin to move. It coursed past my brain, down my spinal chord, and out into all the nerves in my body. It was like being hit by lightning-- except that it didn't hurt. If anything, the faint static tingling was pleasurable.
It began to spring back up into certain areas of my skin. I realized the energy was collecting around all the cuts criss-crossing my flesh. Finally it stopped moving. I felt the intensity of the tingling rise, then slowly subside, followed by a maddening itch. It lasted only a few seconds.
When it subsided, Ian took control again. He stumbled back as if a bucket of cold water had been thrown in his face.
I tore off my bandages to look at my cuts, where the ghost energy was just starting to dissapate. I simply stood there, staring at what was happening: the cuts were healing, right before my eyes. In a matter of seconds, the skin grew back together and began building up again, until not a trace of any cut was visible-- not even a pink line were the skin was still thin. I felt my face. The cuts were gone from it, too. I rolled up my pant leg-- not even a bruise.
Ian stared in amazement. I stared back.
"We may just have a fighting chance after all," I said.
Ian simply nodded. Then, his shocked expression was slowly broken by a smile. It was not a particularly happy smile, but it was very meaningful nonetheless: it was finally time. We were ready. All that could be done in preparation had been done. It was time for action.
"Let's go," he said.

02-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Silversnow
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: Closer than you think..
: 1,046
Silversnow  (11)

Something tells me that escaping really won't be that easy, right?
And this is a great fic.

02-27-2004, 05:42 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

TheRaisin  (10)

Thank you, both for complimenting the story and for simply replying. I think you're the only one left. I've spent lots of time on this stuff, and it's gratifying when someone actually reads it and says it's good. Yeah, you're probably right... I doubt Lyra and Ian are going to get out unscathed. But then, who knows? I don't. Like I said, I'm totally winging this. So, thanks once again, SilverSnow. I will keep the thread going, if only for the two of us.

03-14-2004, 05:22 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

TheRaisin  (10)
Chapter XIX

Lyra

We crept out of the supply closet, fully clad in camo-covered high-impact armor, with strands of silksteel woven amongst the synthmetal fabric. We looked ready for anything: guns hung from sashes and belts, ammo clips were shoved tightly into their compartments, various tools and pieces lashed to our belts clinked and clanked together. I had the wrist computer strapped to my wrist, and, of course, our backpacks carried everything else we would need for an escape and a long hike.
Ian's ESP guided us around sensor fields and cameras. We slinked as silently as possible through the halls for about ten minutes before finally coming to the one exit we had found leading to the outside world: the door to the exercise yard.
I started toward it, but Ian grabbed my shoulder.
"Wait."
His eyes glazed as he actively tuned his extra senses. I felt a surge in the ambient energy in the room, and the hair on the back of my neck stood up slightly. These abilities he had were certainly powerful and useful, but they were far from covert. After a moment he returned to normal.
"No good. It's got a solid lock and a sensor field around it. We need to find a different exit."
"Figures," I said.
"We can't keep looking around on this level," Ian said. "If they're not looking for us by now, they will be soon."
We backtracked to the elevator we had made for the second day.
Yesterday, I reminded myself. That was yesterday. I had begun to lose track of time in this place.
Ian scanned the elevator, found it safe, and telekinetically broke the lock. The doors slid open, and we stepped inside. The button numbers started with 5 and went in descending order all the way to Sub-Level 30. If the elevator went straight down, that would mean the structure descended more than 300 feet into the ground.
Ian pressed the button for Sub-Level 1, and we began to move. I set my pack down, and leaned back against the smooth metal wall.
"How did you do that... thing, back there?" I asked, examining my arm again.
Ian glanced at my arm as well, and said, "It was basically those 'ghost' things again. I was just thinking that you really needed some medical supplies, and they took over. I didn't tell them to do anything, exactly."
"I guess they just have a lot of initiative," I said. "Look at this: it completely regrew in a matter of seconds. There's not even any scar tissue. They stimulated the cells, and they reproduced at a couple thousand times their normal rate. It's incredible."
Ian didn't seem too sure. "I just hope they don't try too much without my telling them to. I don't want anything controlling me, not matter how benevolent or helpful they are."
I felt the elevator change direction several times, occasionally moving horizontally, before it began to slow down. I stood up, put my pack back on, and made sure my hand was tight on my gun. I hated using it, but at least so far it had only been robots I had had to use it on. I hoped we didn't run into any people.
The doors slid open. I stood to one side of the opening and peered out. It opened directly into a cavern that looked like a scene from a modern-day Hieronymus Bosch's worst nightmare. The space was basically a giant inverted cone, possibly several kilometers in diameter at the top. The far side was barely visible in the darkness-- only certain points were lit by large lights, the kind you might see in a football stadium, while the rest of the area was hidden in deep shadow. It descended in rings, each floor just enough smaller than the one above it to fit perfectly within it. Tracks criss-crossed the ceiling and hung over the void, carrying small transport cars and bulky cargo lifts. Catwalks completed the spider-web design, spanning the chasm's diameter in a spoke design, with each consecutive level stretched between two points along the outer ring different from those of the spoke above it. Bisecting each spoke was a central hub. Here, the catwalk split into two paths to form a ring around a massive column of conduits, cords, and tubes, before rejoining on the other side. Every once in a while, a few wires or tubes would shoot off along a catwalk for some purpose on one of the concentric galleries, but the vast majority continued to plunge down towards the relatively narrow bottom of the cone. Taking a shaky breath, I stepped out of the elevator, quickly ducking out of the brightly lit area around it to avoid being seen by one of the hundreds of robot drones working in the cavern, or one of the few humans overseeing the labor. I walked to the edge of the wide gallery, boots clanking on the thick metal grill, and carefully leaned over to see what was at the bottom. There, hundreds of feet below, at the base of the hive-like structure, was a large cubical glass enclosure, with several large lights trained on it. The height did not affect me in the least, but what was happening in that glass clean-room made me feel more ill than anything I had seen so far.
There were rows upon rows of glass tanks, each filled to the top with murky green liquid. In each one floated a human being, head shaved bald, covered in electrical sensors and robotic leeches, a breathing apparatus hooked to their face. As I watched, one woke from their unnatural slumber. I couldn't make out any details, but I could imagine the look of horror on their face. The figure began to spasm and thrash around, nearly snapping some of the sensors. A multiple-armed robot drone was drawn to the tank. It did something with the computer set into the base of the tank, and the person's movements slowed then stopped, and they returned to their forced state of sleep.
Next to the rows of tanks was a large area full of metal operation tables. There were people on several of them, robots flocking around them. I couldn't tell what was happening to most of them, but I recognized one robot's activity: the patient was face down, and the robot's multiple tools were trained on one spot at the base of the skull, grafting the control chip on, no doubt.
I began to feel dizzy. I stepped back from the rail and moved back into the elevator.
"What did you see? What's wrong?" Ian asked the second I stepped into the elevator.
I sat down on my pack. Sweat was trickling down my face and neck. My knees felt weak.
"Look," I said.
Ian slipped cautiously out the door. When he came back a minute later, he looked almost as bad as I felt.
"Give me the wrist computer," he said.
I handed it to him, and he stepped out into the cavern again. He came back after another minute, and gave it back to me.
"I took pictures. Now we can prove this place exists."
"It won't for long," I said.
"What do you mean?" he asked.
"We're destroying this place. We're not going to let this happen to anyone else." I wasn't thinking about it as I said it. It just suddenly came into my mind: this place had to be destroyed.
I got up and picked up my pack again.
"C'mon. We'll find an exit, stow our stuff nearby, then figure out how to shut this place down."
"You can't be serious," Ian said. "What about all those people down there?"
"They're as good as dead. Their lives ended as soon as these bastards set their sights on them."
"Some of them might survive the experiment," he said.
"The ones that do won't have a life anyway. They'll be soldiers for this new world government these people are trying to make. We'll be doing them a favor."
I put my pack on, tightened the clamps and straps on my armor, and my sure the safety was off on the gun at my hip.
"Let's go."
"All right, but I should still lead," he said.
"There won't be any sensors here," I said. "We're deep enough now that they don't think there's any need."
Ian went into a trance, scanning the area. He was in this state for several minutes as he scanned the huge area.
"Looks like you're right," he said, snapping back to consciousness.
We left the elevator and began walking clockwise around the huge outer track, hugging the outside wall and trying to stay in the deep shadows that seemed to thrive in this subterranean vault.
-------------------------------------
Ian

Our boots were unnervingly loud in the silence around this section of the chasm. Elsewhere in the chamber, robots toiled under the supervision of human scientists, the distant sounds of heavy machinery and metal feet on metal floor drifting across the vast empty space. But here, the only sound was made by the heavy combat boots we had donned in preparation for our escape. I kept expecting some metal monstrosity, attracted by the noise, to leap over the rail and attack us. But the silence remained, and we walked on.
After a few minutes, Lyra noticed a small door in the wall. She crouched down to inspect it.
"Looks like some kind of service hatch," she said. "Think you can get it open?"
I tried to focus my mind, but I was too nervous. I had to be in a completely calm state to use the powers without the help of the ghosts.
"I can't do it," I said. "I have those tools, though..."
"That's okay, I have a set." She laid the case open, chose a tool, and began to work at the door.
I walked as close to the rail as I dared while staying within the envelope of shadow. I searched through my pack, found the pair of binoculars I had packed, and took to spying on the activities of the workers.
I focused them on a human scientist, standing atop a small electric cart, pointing and shouting orders to the robotic workers.
Boring.
I was about to move on, when the scientist stopped. He held a hand to an earpiece he was wearing, nodding to himself. What orders was he receiving?
When the transmission ended, he punched some buttons on a computer pad he was holding. A door in the wall behind him opened, and ten robots filed out-- five bulky guards, and five of the sleeker, deadly hunter-killers.
"Oh, crap."
Lyra turned from her work. "What is it?" she asked.
I handed the binocs to her. "See for yourself."
She took a long look at what was happening on the opposite side of the gallery, before lowering the binoculars.
"Damn. They know. Somebody must have found the wreckage."
"We're lucky it took them as long as it did," I pointed out. "It's been a couple hours."
Lyra turned back to give the door a critical look, hands on her hips. "I think I've done all I can with the hatch. Let's pull it off."
We grabbed two corners of the metal sheet and pulled as hard as we could. The metal bent slightly, and the hinges screeched metallicaly, but the door held.
Panting, I said, "I wish we still had that crowbar."
"The crowbar!" she said. "Idiot..." She dug through her pack, and pulled it out. "Glad I kept this. Stand back!"
I moved out of the way. Lyra slammed the flat tip of the heavy bar into the crack between the door and the frame, and pushed hard. The door bent and creaked, and finally fell open, slamming against the metal floor.
"Go!"
I scrambled inside. Lyra crouched down inside the opening and used the curved side of the crowbar to pull the hatch back into place, throwing the small space into complete darkness.
"Too dark in here," she muttered.
"Hold on..." I felt around in my pack, and grabbed what I was looking for. I put the helmet on, fumbled around trying to find the switch I was looking for, and finally hit it. A bright beam of light lanced out from the small flashlight peripheral attached to the HUD that was hooked onto the helmet, illuminating Lyra and the end of the crawlspace. She held her hands in front of her face, squinting in the sudden bright light.
I twisted the tiny fiber-optic light to the side and dimmed it. "Heh... sorry."
I waited as she found her helmet and put it on. She also dug out two crystal memory disks and handed one to me.
"Put it in your HUD and make sure you record everything. The HUDs and the wrist computer use the same memory disks."
I slid the disk into the small slot in the back of the HUD and set it to record. She did the same.
"You should turn your light off to conserve power." I noticed she was still holding the crowbar. "Aren't you going to stow that?"
She held it closer to herself. "I think I'll just hold onto it."
"Okay. Ready?"
"Let's do it," she said.

We crawled around for what felt like hours. We stopped several times to rest and drink deeply from our canteens. The tunnels were unmercifully hot and stuffy, and moving around on hands and knees was tiring. My mind drifted in the silence and darkness and heat, the conditions much like those in a sensory deprivation tank. After a while, I was so out of it that I missed the exit completely, continuing past the small antechamber.
"Yo, Ian!"
I snapped out of my trance, and noticed the bright rectangle of light marking the door at the end of the antechamber, which jutted off from the main tunnel.
"Oh. Good call."
Lyra scoffed. "I'd have to be blind not to notice it."
"Sorry. Zoned out."
She handed the crowbar up to me, and with some bashing and prying I was able to get the hatch loose.
I checked all my gear and weapons, made sure my HUD was recording, and turned the flashlight off. I took a deep breath.
"Okay."
I pulled my legs up to my chest, then kicked out as hard as I could at the hatch. It swung down and came off, clanging against the floor somewhere below. The tunnel was flooded with bright fluorescent light. I moved up so that my legs were dangling out the hatch. My eyes could not adjust quickly enough to the blinding light, so I slammed down the visor that slid into my helmet.
The service hatch opened halfway up the wall in an impressively large, brightly-lit square room. On the floor some feet below, in rows and clusters, were hundreds of vehicles of dozens of types. There were hovercraft of every size, shape, and model imaginable, including a few with propulsion systems I had never seen. The details of these had probably been downloaded into my brain, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. There were several dozen aircars, most of them sleek and sporty like any everyday overpriced aircar, but a few had been outfitted with weapons ranging from small conventional projectile weapons that looked as if they had just been soldered on, to laser cannons, and I noticed three that had been outfitted with huge magnetic acceleration cannons, which used electromagnets to create magnetic fields powerful enough to launch a titanium shell the shape of an arrow and roughly the weight of a cannonball straight through a line of tanks. There were ten jet-black rocket fighters, craft that could, with a full payload, decimate cities or, with a full supply of O2 and fuel, reach the moon on a single tank. The absolute giants of the whole collection, though, in both size and power, were the two massive gravships in the center of the room, looking like gigantic beetles. Their black hulls and thick glass windshields gleamed like carapaces in the bright lights, while the four massive circular antigravity pads on each sat dark and unpowered like giant feet.
I tore my eyes away from the amazing machines to look for signs of opposition. Towards the front of the room, where three massive blast doors were set into the wall, a trio of human guards waited at each of the three regular, person-sized doors perpedicular to the big ones. They had not noticed us yet. As I watched, three more groups of three entered the room. They simply hung around, apparently waiting for the others' shift to end so they could start theirs.
"Ian, what's the hold-up? Where are we?" Lyra asked from back in the tunnel.
"It looks like a motor pool or something," I called back. "There are some guards, but they're a long way off. Hold on."
I slid off my perch, psychically catching myself as I fell. I drifted down to the floor, and Lyra moved up to where I had been.
"Whoa..." she said, seeing the huge menagerie of machinery.
"I know."
"Umm... how am I supposed to get down?" she asked.
"I got it covered," I said. "Just jump."
She pushed herself out of the tunnel. I caught her instantly, and she floated down as if in water, her hair suspended over her head.
"Exhilarating," she said as her feet touched the floor, and the energy suspending her dissapated.
"We should probably find a place to stow our stuff. This might be the only place we have time to find. Oh, here's your crowbar."
Her fingers tightened around it, and she spun it skillfully over her head and on either side like a bo before resting it casually on her shoulder.
"Well," she said, "they did one thing right, giving us martial arts when they plugged our brains into a computer. Guns-- how primitive."
We crept around the motor pool, careful to keep the huge gravships between us and the guards at all times. I quickly found a small two-wheeled trailer thing, more like a wheelbarrow than a trailer, with a cover. We stowed our gear, except for a few tools and our weapons, and covered the trailer up again. I noticed something covered by a tarp just next to the trailer. It was too small to be any kind of hovercraft or aircar, and it had an odd shape. Curiosity getting the better of me, I slid the tarp off, and stared at what it had been covering.
Lyra noticed too. "Wow... I didn't anyone still made these relics."
"They don't," I said. "At least not legally."
It was an actual motorcycle, jet black and in perfect condition. The key was even in the ignition.
"Wait a minute... this is perfect! Small, fast, under the radar, undetectable..."
"What are you talking about?" she asked quizzically.
"The motorcycle," I said. "It's the perfect getaway vehicle. Look, the trailer attaches to it so we can carry our stuff."
"One thing at a time," she said.
"Right. We still have work to do."

03-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Silversnow
Outlaw Cutter

Silversnow  (11)

And the plot thickens...
In other words, can't wait to see more.

03-15-2004, 01:11 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

TheRaisin  (10)

Hmm. Thank you. I dunno, I kind of want to get to the next stage of this story, and it seems to be taking too long to advance the plot beyond the installation. There is a lot more coming, but I hafta get through all this stuff first, which is a bit tiring. This is not the way I want my work of fiction to be. So hold out a few more chapters, and I can begin to advance the story a bit more. I can't believe I've done 19 installments and they're still in the installation. Jeez, time to move on. And thank you for supporting this fic.

04-05-2004, 08:14 AM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

TheRaisin  (10)

Sorry, I know it's taking a while. My computer's been broken for a while. I'm still working on the next chapter. It's gotta be perfect! IT MUST BE PERFECT!

04-17-2004, 06:28 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

TheRaisin  (10)
Chapter XX

Lyra

I sat back against the wall of the tunnel as Ian tried to get the hatch back into place. The wall was comfortably curved, and this close to an exit, the metal was cool. I suddenly caught myself falling asleep, and pinched myself to stay awake.
"What time do you think it is?" I asked.
"No idea," Ian said, pulling the hatch shut. "Your HUD might tell you."
I swiveled the small screen into place in front of my eye, and checked the default display. I groaned.
"0500 hours," I said. "We've been running around and hiding for almost twenty-four hours."
"We'll be out of here soon," Ian said, as the hatch finally latched into place. "Then it'll be a leisurely hike to the coast and a beachfront motel room, and we'll reach our parents and they'll be okay and they'll take us home, and we'll release all the information we have on this place, and send a copy to the president and he'll shut it down and it'll all just be a bad memory."
"... Do you believe our parents are still alive?" I asked.
He sighed, and buried his face in his hands.
"I don't know. Let's just do what we need to do and get out of here."
"Right." I sat up straight. "We should find a computer. We can get some floorplans for this place, get into their systems and see how we can do some damage."
"One more thing," he said. "I don't think they erased our memories or somehow induced amnesia. I think we still have our memories, but we just can't get to them. I want to find a way to shut down these chips they put in us."
"You think the chips are keeping our memories from coming back?" I asked. "That doesn't make sense. You already burned out your chip... or the 'ghosts' did anyway."
"I only destroyed part of it. There's something still working back there," he said, pointing to the nape of his neck. "I can sense it."
I sighed. "So we also have to find a way to shut down the chips. Ian, we're not going to have a lot of time to do all this. They'll detect us the second we break into one of those computers."
"Could you live without knowing what's really been happening? Without any memories of your life, or your family?"
"I guess not," I admitted.
"Then we do it."

We made good time getting back to the "spiderweb"-- that was the closest thing I could liken the huge cone-like structure to-- using the video playbacks on our HUDs to guide us. When we got to the hatch, Ian opened it just enough for him to peer out.
"All clear."
We crawled out into the chamber, staying low against the outer wall, safe within the shadows. Using the binoculars, I spotted a computer terminal about a quarter of the way around the top tier from where we were, and we headed for it. As we approached the doors to the elevator we had used before, there suddenly came the sound of gears shifting and the elevator descending. The doors slid open, and I heard activity within. We were caught.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ian

To the left was the open pit, and to the right, a solid wall. The hatch was too far behind us to get to in time, and before us were the open elevator doors. There was only one way to go.
"Lyra," I whispered. "Stay absolutely still."
I grabbed her hand and we levitated high above the circular tier, into the shadows of the domed ceiling. Below, four jet black hunter-killers and two guard bots rolled out onto the steel floor. They split up and went in opposite directions, two hunter-killers and one guard in each group, and rolled away.
"Nice work," Lyra said when they were far enough away. "We can stay up here and fly straight to the terminal. We'll be completely unnoticed, and we won't have to walk."
I involuntarily looked down. Below were several hundred feet of steel and titanium catwalks and bridges, electrical conduits, and, at the very bottom, a large room entirely encased in glass.
"Maybe it would be safer to just walk."
"What, afraid of heights?" she asked with a smirk.
"No, just afraid of falling from them," I said. "I don't know how long I can hold us up." I closed my eyes tightly and slowly let the ghost energy dissapate, and we descended. I didn't open my eyes until both my feet were firmly on the floor. "Better safe than sorry."
"If you say so," she said.
Weak, bruised, and loaded down with heavy supplies, it took twenty minutes to reach the computer terminal just a mile and a half or so from where we had started. As we got closer, I saw how Lyra had spotted it: the station was gigantic, even by the standards of people two hundred years ago. Whereas a PC, LCD screen, and Grid setup could all fold up to a few square inches, the semi-circular metal computer bank, set along the edge of a large balcony protruding form the main walkway, was fifty feet long. Cameras set along the top were pointed down at the area, some 350 feet below, where robots worked to crank out the next batch of soldiers. Each camera corresponded to a monitor, and at each monitor were a keyboard and chair. The computers seemed to be in a sleep mode, their blank screens casting a faint glow in the darkness of the pit. The station was deserted, so we walked right in and I sat in a chair near the center of the crescent, so that I would be hidden from the view of anyone else in the area by the two ends of the computer bank. I pressed a button and the glow from the monitor slowly grew as the computer woke up. As I waited for something to happen, I heard a hydraulic hissing noise coming from behind me. I spun the chair around and stood.
A section of the outer wall had slid away. A man walked out, clad in the same drab green armored uniform I had seen on the other human guards, sipping a cup of coffee. He saw us, and instantly dropped the mug and raised his gun.
"What are you doing here?" he asked angrily and suspiciously. "Wait a minute, you're the two trying to escape."
"We--" Lyra started.
"Shut up! Get away from there." He motioned away from the computer bank with the barrel of his rifle.
We moved away, and he edged towards the control panel. His free hand reached for the alarm button.
"Wait! You don't want to do that," Lyra warned.
"Are you going to stop me?" he leered.
"No, he is," she said, gesturing towards me. "Do something," she whispered to me.
"What am I supposed to do? I can't attack him."
She sighed exaperatedly. "Fine, just do something so I have a chance to get to him."
"What's going on?" the guard demanded.
I threw my hand out, fingers splayed, and focused on his gun. It wrenched itself out of his hand and skittered across the floor to my feet. He took a running step toward me, but his next step was in the air as I levitated him up off his feet. He kept trying to run, flailing around in the air. A panicked look was on his face.
"Thanks," Lyra said.
She ran straight at the soldier as if she were going to ram him back into the computer bank. At the last second she leapt into the air, planting her hands on his shoulders and flipping over him. Then, launching herself from the top of the metal protrusion, she tackled him from behind, crashing straight into the small of his back.
The force carried them both forward out of the area affected by the power radiating from my hand, and Lyra crashed to the floor atop the hapless guard. She grabbed his arms and pinned them behind his back, but he was too strong. Twisting and jerking, he bucked her off and straight into the wall. Her back made a dent in the metal wall as she collided with it, then sank to the floor.
"Lyra!"
"Get him," she wheezed.
The soldier was already getting up. I ran at him, hoping I could get in a hit before he recovered, but it was too late. Just as I reached him, he stood up straight. He caught my foot as I kicked at his midsection, and twisted my leg with such force that I was spun into the air before crashing painfully into the steel grate of the floor. He placed one boot firmly against the side of my head, and I could feel the metal bands pressing deep into my cheek. Just when I thought my head would implode, I heard a shout, and the pressure was suddenly gone.
Looking up, I saw the guard reeling away, his hands over the back of his head. Now it was Lyra standing over me, clutching the guard's gun like a stave. She helped me up, and I quickly prepared myself for another attack.
The guard brought his hands away, covered in his own blood. The sight seemed to enrage him. He rushed at us, fists clenched and raised. Before either of us could do anything, he drove his left fist into my stomach, then, as I was doubled over, caught me squarely in the jaw with a powerful hook. I felt my head snap back and to the side, and I stumbled back, unable to stand. I slumped against the wall. My vision blurred, and I could barely make out what was happening.
The guard tried to wrestle his gun away from Lyra. She fought fiercely, but he was too strong. He was slowly forcing her back towards the far end of the balcony, where instead of a large wall of steel separating the catwalk from the deep pit, there was only a railing a few feet high. I tried to call out to her, but all the air had been forced out of my lungs by the punch to my stomach. As I watched, horrified, he pushed her back against the rail. Only then did she realize the danger, but it was too late. She tore the butt of the weapon out of his grasp and desperately smashed it against the side of his face, but the move was not enough to force him back. With a final push, he sent her teetering back over the railing.
"No!" I stood and ran staggeringly, hoping I could catch her foot. The guard, swaying from the last blow, collapsed on the floor, and Lyra, her arms windmilling helplessly, tipped over backwards and fell.
"NO--!" I tripped over the guard's unconscious body, and my forehead banged the railing on the way down. My senses dulled. All I could feel was pain. That, and a sense of failure. I had been just a few seconds too late. My eyes stared down through the grated floor. I watched as my tears and blood, and the blood of the guard, worked their ways down throught the holes and dripped into the darkness below. Then I heard Lyra shout.
I must be hallucinating, I thought. I just lay there, not wanting to move, not caring if I was found.
I heard the sound again, closer, it seemed. I looked up, not knowing what to expect. Lyra hung there, as if suspended by invisible wires. She was real. But how could that be?
She looked as scared as I felt.
"Lyra? What's going on?"
"I have no idea."
"You're floating! Maybe... maybe you destroyed the control chip."
"How?" she asked. "I didn't do anything."
"All it took for me was a surge of anger. I guess for you, it was a surge of fear. You willed something to happen so much that the chip couldn't supress the 'ghosts', and it burned out."
"Well, that's fine but... how do I get down? This is getting tiring..."
As if her words had made it happen, she suddenly dropped out of the air. She grabbed the railing with both hands.
"Lyra! Hold on, I've got you!"
I braced my feet against two poles supporting the railing, grabbed her by the wrists, and pulled her up onto the catwalk.
"Are you okay? How bad did he hurt you? I didn't grab you too hard, did I?"
"I'm fine, Mom," she said sarcastically, shaking me off.
"I guess so," I said, scowling unintentionally.
"Sorry. I'm okay. Th-thank you."
We bound and gagged the guard with rope from the packs in case he woke up, and then I went back to the computer to find a way to shut down the facility, and restore our memories. It asked for user identification, and did a retinal scan and fingerprint verification, for which we used the unconscious soldier. We entered a code that we found on an ID card in his pocket, and when it asked for voice verification, I shook him lightly to wake him up.
"Huh? Wh--what?"
A monotone human voice came from the speakers. "Voice verification complete. Identity confirmed. Thank you."
The soldier groaned and fainted again.
Finally a startup screen appeared. I opened a file called "Subject Records", and found the words Subject 290 and Subject 291, with our names under them.
"At least she didn't lie about our names," Lyra remarked.
There were files on both of us, but we were too short on time to read them. Lyra saved the files both to her wrist computer and to a disc, and then I found what I had been looking for: there was a checkbox by each name that said, "Deactivate control chip. Note: chip cannot be reactivated."
I looked at Lyra. She nodded solemnly. I checked both boxes, then hit "Execute". A message came up saying, "Control chips succesfully deactivated," and my memories began to flood back.

Sigh. It is done. If anyone is still reading, I will try to turn these out faster from now on. I am a big perfectionist, and I have to make sure that everything is just the way I want it before posting. I'm taking this a lot more seriously than the fics I've done before, because it has a lot more meaning. Or at least it will. Hopefully, if you compare this with earlier works, you will already find more meaning in this than in those old ones. If not, it's just me. I mean, someone else might find a different kind of meaning, or maybe it won't mean anything to them at all, but... it is meaningful to me. So. There you are.

04-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Silversnow
Outlaw Cutter

Silversnow  (11)

Ooh... scary powers. I guess you'll have to watch it, so that it won't be too much Matrix-Neo. Or something. Gah, lack of coffee!

04-18-2004, 07:27 AM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

TheRaisin  (10)

Yes... their powers are very scary. Very scary indeed. Not limitless, though: to use that kind of power, they have to channel enormous amounts of this mysterious "ghost energy" through themselves. This is extremely tiring and dangerous if done for too long, and becomes more so the more energy they use. It can result in anything from weakness to fainting, or it can cause more permanent damage to their brains. Think of making yourself a living lightning rod, except the energy you're trying to conduct is TEN THOUSAND TIMES MORE POWERFUL. That's basically what they're subjecting themselves to. But if it's a choice between that, and falling to their deaths... well, then it might come in handy.
Oh yeah, what did you think about the way it makes her hair stand up? Isn't that cool? There's so much energy being used, it's static! Like a mini-electrical storm.
Point taken about the Matrix thing... I'm going to write in some basic flaws and restraints for this whole psychic abilities thing. Like the stuff above.
EDIT: And, Silversnow... THANK YOU FOR REPLYING!!!!!! You are a true fan. Up top, Silversnow!
EDIT2: I am a lazy bastard. I haven't even started the next chapter yet. I apologize. Forgive me! Please stick around! Might it encourage you to continue reading my unworthy work of fiction if I were to disembowel myself in the sepuku ritual practiced by ancient samurai of feudal Japan after losing on the battlefield? I'll do it, I have the katana and everything already. Stick around, I promise you will not be disappointed! (guarantee not necessarily valid in the contiguous United States)

Last edited by TheRaisin; 04-27-2004 at 04:57 PM..