Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner > Non-Oddworld Art & Literature

10-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

It took us hours. Rolling hills and a twisting, relentless path. We spoke little, the guard keeping a steady pace ahead. We saw signs of civilization; the garbage was fenced away from the road, patchwork signs saying 'Welcome to C.C.C.S.' popping up here and there. Old, worn or demolished gates occasionally appeared, and we could see others several hundred feet to the side, all abandoned, all rusted and falling apart.
We finally found the gate the booth-robot had told us about, it was late afternoon. We came up over a hill and there it was, large, green, fortified. A taller tower on the left side, apparently for spotting bedragled, miserable city folk.
We were approached by a young man wearing cobbled together military garb.
"Jesus christ, you look like you fell in the recycling pools!" He shouted jubilantly.
Another, larger man came out.
"What we got?" He shouted.
"We got Tab and two guys who need a drink. Oh, shit, either a' you got any guns?" The first muttered to us.
The guard presented his weapon to the man. He stared at it.
"Uh...okay. You keep that" He said, pushing it away. "We just needed to know you have it."
The larger man made gave a glance at The Altar Boy's backpack and said. "Tab! Get through the security gate. We need to make sure you don't got any bombs inside of that thing."
'Tab' lumbered off. We were led inside by the younger of the two.
"We got a report around Ten last night of gunfire, that you?"
"Yeah." Said the guard.
"What were you shooting at?" His tone shifted, not so light any more.
"We're here looking for a rogue lab robot. The security station had what looked like its corpse outside, I reacted." Continued the guard.
"And was it?"
"No. It was just its chassis. We were supposed to cooperate with with a security station drone, but it went off on its own. Long story short, it's dead, the other scientist that came with us is seriously injured or more likely..." He shot me a look. "dead."
A crackle came over a rotten speaker on the wall.
"Lennox, come to the scanner station immediately. We got a situation."
Lennox nodded at us, and said "Stay here. Right in the room. Lockers have food and water." He was gone.
We sat around for a few minutes. Silent. I drank two bottles of water faster and messier than I'd like to admit.
"It's not your fault that grace is...gone." The guard said, sighing.
"You're fucking right it isn't." I responded, remembering what he said.
"We need to get a handle on this. We've found a resource station, but we need to find that robot, or at least some evidence of it being...offline." He continued.
"Yeah." I halfheartedly muttered.
"My name's Cotton. Eddie Cotton." He said, extending a hand.
I shook it.
I went to the fridge for more water when the sound of a a pair of boots rumbled down the hall.
"Come with me. Now." It was the older man.
We followed, clomping through the small building to what looked like a garage with a radio station built around it. Tab poked out of the top.
"Look at this." Lennox said to us, nodding at a small monitor.
There was a blue tinge to it the screen, but we could see what was undeniably a sealed medical casket.
Eddie shook his head. "What about it?"
"Look closer. Look at the face screen." Lennox said shortly.
We leaned in, focusing on it.
"My god." I said.
"Wha-?" And Eddie's face turned pale.

Eyes shut, breath methodically clouding the small glass window of the casket, was Grace.

10-25-2009, 10:33 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

had to re-read the last chapter, i'm glad for another update.

and sweet jesus, didn't expect that at the end.
10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

:
had to re-read the last chapter, i'm glad for another update.

and sweet jesus, didn't expect that at the end.
I've got the whole thing planned out, actually. The next few chapters/pages are the only stumbling block.

Oddly, what motivated me to write this part up in the first place was some broken lightbulb sitting on the porch.

12-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

We stood in the small control booth staring at the screen, transfixed. Eddie rubbed his eyes. "You two know who that is?" The older man peered at us.
"S'the woman we came down here with. Grace." Eddie mumbled. He found a chair and filled it. "You have any idea she was in there?" Lennox said, eyes glued to the screen.
"No." We said.
"I think we have a situation of some severity." The older of the two said, manipulating a telescoping claw into the basket. TAB felt the weight shift and rotated to look at us.
"Critical element." The orange in his eye deepened.

12-20-2009, 06:29 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

short and sweet, and keeps dangling the carrot.

i think i may know what is going to happen next. actually, no. i don't think i do.
GOOD
01-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

"TAB, that is a seriously wounded woman sitting in a medical casket that won't last a three-day trek up the cliffs." The old guard grumbled. "Lennox, call Doc Weld, tell him it's an emergency and to bring the Aerial teevee if he can, otherwise whatever's fastest along with a medevac trailer and some extra cells for the casket; Bio and power. Just in case." He added, the looks on our faces betraying our worry.
"I'll hail the Frigate to let these two in, and finish checking TAB's stock. Avoid getting caught up with App if he's working with the Doc." He continued. Lennox bustled off.
He turned back to the monitor, entering several commands and disabling the claw. "This will do the rest of the scanning. I need you two to understand what's about to happen. Keep your questions to a minimum." We nodded.
"Alright." He cleared his throat, walking across the room and pulling a screen out of a wall, it illuminated, revealing a map. "This is us." He gestured to a red dot, bright against the blue surroundings. He pointed to a yellow line trailing out of frame. "This is the path to the Outer Wall Frigate. Have you ever been briefed on it?"
"No." I said.
"Minimally." Eddie reported.
"Figures. The Outer Wall Frigate is an independent entity of the Cliff Community Cooperative Settlements, and for good reason. The frigate itself is a city shifter, an old disaster response airship that was built for hauling as much as possible in a short time. You'll see it poking out of a valley up the foothills, that's how big it is."
He sighed, moving the map to a large green cube, smaller green dots pooled around it.
"The people will show you very little hospitality. I recommend you stay at most two days and go on your way. They're not above harassing outsiders just to make themselves feel better."
"Why are they so hostile?" I blurted.
"Hell, ask them. They just barely tolerate the towns and outposts around here, but boys from the Institute have been known to turn up goddamn maimed. Just be careful.
"Now, this man we have coming, Doctor Weld? He's not going to be here long, but you need to explain how and when your girl got her injuries as it'll help with the treatment. The man's patient, but that Med casket's not gonna last forever."

"We need to reach somewhere that can get us into contact with the W.A.T." Eddie said.
"Not below the Frequency Fairway." The old mad said, gesturing vaguely at the map.
"Sorry, the what?" I inquired.
"Later. There's Doc now. Must've been damn close." he said, pointing at a dust cloud coming towards us. "Go to the first floor, follow the white line on the wall. Lennox should be with you in a minute. Remember, necessary information only."
We hurried off.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 01-05-2010 at 05:53 PM..
01-06-2010, 02:45 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

looking forward to them passing through the Cliff Community Cooperative Settlements, not that i want them to get mauled or anything. have a feeling it'll be unnerving.
01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

Well, the CCCS are basically the good guys. The huge junk pit they're in right now is flanked along the west wall by the cliff settlements, but the Outer Wall Frigate is a seperate settlement in the foothills leading to the Cliffs themselves.

Clear as mud.

01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

"You two aren't ready for the trek."
Eddie and I were in an old supply room, sitting at a big steel table and answering questions that Doc Weld threw our way while he ran diagnostics on the medical casket. Lennox was typing something into a fold-out console on the wall.
The room was a sickly, deep green colour, not helping were the dying fluorescent lights hanging above.
"Well lookie heeeere." Weld said, gesturing at the open circuitry of the casket. Eddie shook his head. Weld seemed to smell it.
Clicking a soldering gun on, he detached a suppressor from the wiring. The sole red light that indicated the power flickered, then turned green. The other two blinked yellow and red.
"Huh." Said Eddie.
"T'wasn't running out of juice, it was saving it." The Doc reached an arm in and felt around. "A-ha! It's got a pair of extra energy cells rigged up in here. He brought his toolbag up, reached his other arm in and after some clicking and buzzing all three lights turned Blue. He turned to me.
"You do this, Nick?" We'd introduced ourselves as soon as he arrived. He was driving what looked like a water ski with wheels, a pair of fans folded at the side and the trailer folded into a cage at the back.
"No, we only found it a little over an hour ago." I said.
"The solder on that was fresh. Now, either your girl fixed this thing up with one hand and managed to close it, or she was lucky enough to find a miraculously jury rigged medical casket close enough for her to crawl to." He sat back, tenting his fingers over his eyes. Well, where I assume his eyes were; Doc Weld wore a patchwork pressurized suit, his head covered by a rectangular breathing mask, 'for th' Dust', he'd explained.
All of it was either dark cloth or stitched leather, with red and white Medical crosses visible from any angle. He kept several tool pouches on his legs and torso, and heaved a backpack with a rebriether and other machines bolted together. I didn't ask how he used the bathroom.
He propped his chin on a fist and extended the other at us, flat.
"I need the whole story. Lennox filled me in best he could over the radio, but details are important." He sat back, arms crossed.
Eddie and I told him, filling in parts the other missed, he didn't stop us until we started explaining the 'streetlight.' and whatever was following us in the garbage that he held up a hand and spoke.
"Did it ever make contact? Left the scrap?"
"No." Eddie said, "We assumed that the 'lights' we saw were for lighting the path when it gets dark, and it never made any appearances. I just saw the trash move when it shouldn't have."
Lennox turned to us, "We can't light the path at night, leads the mals and animals to us."
"Mals?" I said.
"Malfunctions, like the one that TAB 'found'." Weld said, "Lennox, I need to talk to App about this, he might be able to explain it." Lennox nodded.
"I didn't think it was back over here. The Scavs in the East spotted it about five days ago, they said it was heading for the East wall, a dull green light zipping past one of their night watchmen. Apparently it vandalized the Western Anom...Ano--the W.A.T. smelting plant." He gave Eddie and I a look. We exchanged glances. The smelting plant was a hot issue.
"What are you talking about? You know what was following us?" I asked.
"We can't tell you." Weld said, flatly.
"What?" Eddie said, tense.
"We can't tell you what it is." he repeated
"Why the fuck not?" Eddie stood up, fists clenched.
"Sit down, Ed." I said, nervous.
Lennox took a step forward, looking Eddie straight in the eye.
"We don't know what it is. We'd tell you if we knew. It probably wouldn't be an issue if we knew." He stepped back, Eddie sat down, cooling his hands on the table.
"Like he said, The thing's a mystery. It's smart. Not artificially, not programmed," Weld said, turning to me. "And not with any kind of tactical response protocol. It's way too big to have legal sentience, either."
Lennox sat down on a chair in his corner, arms crossed.
"It's never made this many appearances in such a short span." He said.
"How long has it been here?" I asked, degree kicking in.
"We have no idea. There are bigger issues in the C.C.C.S. and most people don't really know about it." Lennox replied.
"What does it do when people do encounter it?"
Weld sat forward. "At first, it was considered a Ben Mal--it would watch people. Just peer out and observe from far away. Not in full view, but just that green light. It was kind of a ghost story, rumors spread of it being a junk monster or somesuch to scare kids into line. This was far from here, on the higher cliffs. Sightings were sporadic."
He sighed, tenting his fingers over the lens on his mask.
"Then, it started moving down. Sightings turned into encounters when it got to the median ridges, which is damn far away from where the first sightings were made, it started attacking people." He sighed.
"Just out of the blue?" Eddie said.
"Just out of the blue. Our only theory why is the Frequency Fairway. It's a facility Northwest of here that pretty much keeps any communication not limited to a hard-line impossible. A scr-"
"That's illegal." Eddie interrupted, not directing it so much as stating it. Doc Weld shook his head. "It's not, and that's just a side effect. Originally it was a powerful telecomm tower, but over the years the wavelength equalization wore off, it turned into a gigantic scrambler, you could say, and we think that once whatever it is got close enough, it just got scrambled."
"Shouldn't it affect The Altar Boy? Or the other robots?" I said.
"It does and it doesn't. Most of the civilian and worker 'bots in the C.C.C.S. get a signal reset done when they arrive, so they just work around it. Even if they don't have it done immediately, it doesn't affect them for a long time, at which point they just report it and get the reset. But when you get a Mal sitting in the junk for god knows how long, then reactivate it, they've been listening to it for months or years on end and they immediately go through an incredibly large packet of raw information, usually that just makes them crash. It's a sensory overload, to be blunt." Doc Weld scratched the chin area of his mask.
"What happens if it doesn't overload them?" I asked.
"You saw it happen." Lennox said.
I let this sink in, Eddie leaned forward and said "So what happens when it attacks?"
Lennox and Weld exchanged glances.
"Well, it's...uh...it's weird." Lennox muttered. Doc shook his head.
"Out of curiosity, did this girl..." Weld said, snapping his fingers.
"Grace."
"Grace. Did she have any artificial limbs? automated arm or leg?" He leaned on a hand, sounding weary.
"Uh, no. She couldn't work at the W.A.T. if she did." I said.
"Why not?" Weld continued.
"It's a safety concern. When you have a bunch of robots sifting through information through tones or wireless, the nervous simulations in a bionic limb cause splits in the data. They have a habit of matching wavelengths momentarily so the message is garbled." I said, paraphrasing.
It was also a vindictive business practice. Bio-amps weren't a strong point in the W.A.T. product line, so superior brands were often used. Having someone in the lab with a big 'AUTOCO' logo on their arm typically meant they were either going to be shuffled into another sector or relocated to the smelting plant. I didn't mention this.
Weld nodded. "Well, this thing tends to attack people with bionic limbs. The worst it's done is outright tear them off, but otherwise it'll just menace. It'll leap out of cover, snap an arm or leg, then get away. We think it can pick up on the neural disruptions and tries to purge them."
"No one's gotten a good look at it, just the occasional flash of a limb. That's probably why the lamp was smashed." Lennox smacked his hand against the table.
Weld stood up, yawning. "This casket can support her for at least a month, Lennox. Tell the old fart that we're in no hurry." He walked out of the room, tools in hand. Lennox cracked his knuckles and rubbed his forehead. "Follow me, guys. There's a few empty rooms you can sleep in, god knows we're not in a rush." Eddie looked like he was about to say something, but clamped his mouth shut and stood up. I walked over to the casket, glancing at the diagnostic board.
STABLE slowly strobed across the bottom, I turned around, following Lennox and Eddie out towards the checkout station. The sky had turned a dark blue and pinpricks of light were scattered throughout the Junkyard, miles away. I stood staring at the strange alien landscape, an odd step above the infinite reach of the land surrounding the pit, cities glowing orange through the night. I could see the W.A.T. barely shining along the northeast ridge, partially out from the eastern cliffs. I wondered how many other people watched this every night, this man made mess trying to brighten itself. I turned, eyes strained, and saw the C.C.C.S. light up like a spiderweb.
"Well, you don't see that everyday." Eddie said, wandering out after me.
"Nope."
"Sleep. Now."
"Yep."
I meandered inside.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 01-16-2010 at 03:35 PM..
01-20-2010, 04:11 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

fuck, i missed this update for god knows how long.

the talk of Mal's really interests me, i find that stuff intriguing. and i like Weld's character, very 'to the point'.