05-09-2003, 04:51 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

wow nearly 17 post per day now....

Got to catch up!!!! hmmmmm i need to post 3760 post to raise my post per day to 17..... well better get a move on
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

05-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

: May 2003
: I have left
: 251
Reese Charles  (10)

Well, anything is possible. But don't simply do that to raise your post count. I didn't intend to get that many posts/day, it just happened. The highest I have ever had in a forum was 298 posts per day. That was on a day when I subscribed to every thread in the entire forum, and posted my thoughts on each one, great fun but it clogged my inbox...

Reese
05-09-2003, 05:05 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

Joshy  (20)

298 post per day...... then you must have alot of opionion
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

05-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

:
Originally posted by Reese Charles
EDIT: PS: Facsimile do you play LoD, or just D2? If so, whats your battle.net name?
LOD. But I don't - ahem - can't play on battle.net. Apparantly game designers don't want people playing their games for free.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

05-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

That doesn't make any sense. So you have a hacked copy or something?

You bad bad boy!

Reese
05-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

Joshy  (20)

wats wrong with hacked copies? its way cheaper... heh

05-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

the only thing I have a problem with, is that if someone like me made a game, and someone like you went and duped it, I wouldn't get any money for my hard work. See what I am sayin?

Reese
05-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

:
the only thing I have a problem with, is that if someone like me made a game, and someone like you went and duped it, I wouldn't get any money for my hard work. See what I am sayin?
It's not my fault I can't get a job!
I know it sounds weird but I feel bad everytime I copy myself a music CD and like it. But the only thing I find bad about copied games is sometimes you can't play on the net or something.

05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Its a good job that my Oddworld game will be free!
05-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
Originally posted by Facsimile
It's not my fault I can't get a job!
I know it sounds weird but I feel bad everytime I copy myself a music CD and like it. But the only thing I find bad about copied games is sometimes you can't play on the net or something.
I feel bad about riping copies of software, ie: PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro.

But then, I realise that I'm under 18 and can't be prosecuted in an adult court of law

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

:
Originally posted by Alcar
I feel bad about riping copies of software, ie: PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro.
I get my copies from work. They pay for them, I get to use them at work and at home (as I do a small amount of work from home). Works good for me. Heh.

Actually I can understand why a lot of kids/teenagers have pirate copies of software and games ... it's expensive. Not so much for games, but for software like Photoshop. What kids can afford $700 for software, and most parents wouldn't buy it for them unless they needed it themselves.

Abe Babe...

Disclaimer: this vBulletin software is 100% legitimate, I even renewed the update licence for it.

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

05-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Your parents can though, and thats what they will do. Generally, people dont take too kindly to software piracy, its a very frowned on thing in the world of business...

Reese

EDIT: Abe Babe I have the same problem. The music software that I buy almost always goes into the 100s. Sound cards can often cost 1000s, and speakers even more than that. Software needs to be a little less expensive, so that they can sell more copies...

Last edited by Reese Charles; 05-09-2003 at 03:54 AM..
05-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

:
EDIT: Abe Babe I have the same problem. The music software that I buy almost always goes into the 100s. Sound cards can often cost 1000s, and speakers even more than that. Software needs to be a little less expensive, so that they can sell more copies...
Agree exactly. If software was more reasonably priced it would cut down on the pirates. I work in the software industry myself, and other than the initial expense of hiring programmers/documentation writers and then the end user support, there is not much costs involved. Just creation of CDs and manuals. But if you put a manual on the CD or make the software downloadable, that is less costs. A solution would be to offer software with no support (or support on a paid basis), to eliminate staffing costs for end user support. And the lower cost of the software would more than cover programmer's wages, but also increase sales and cut down on piracy.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

05-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Another staggering factor is the price of albums...
Music these days is probably the most unreasonably priced thing on the planet...

I agree totally, software costs very little to produce and sell, as there are countless CD presses out there. and the better the manual and software, the less the need for help and services
05-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

By AbeBabe:

:
Technically anyone can get a custom title ... all they have to do is ask. And if we agree that they are a good member (i.e. they're not a constant spammer) ... then we don't have a problem putting it in place for them.
Wow! Ya can actually ASK!? So, can you gimme a title like 'OWF Walkthough' or something (Cuz I try my best to answer any OW gameplay/game help questions)? Pretty pretty please???
- And you're still a dick.

05-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Anyone can ask, but it will only be considered if it is thought that you have made a positive contribution to the forums. There is no use having a specific title if you barely ever post at all anyway...

Reese
05-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

Well, I have post a lot, and I've been here for a while too. And I think I've been a positive addition for the forums, especially in the help section... But hey, If u think I'm a lousy poster, I'll just shut up and get back to answering questions about the Oddworld games...

05-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Actually, one thing I was dicussing with happyguy936 (we go to the same school) is that you, AlphaScrab have been very helpful in Oddworld Help.

I'd actually like to take the time to thank you for doing what I had neglected, so, yeah... Thankies!

Don't be surprised if you suddenly get a custom title within a short few months

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-10-2003, 04:36 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

AlphaScrab I wasnt' calling you useless, I was merely saying don't expect too much, as you have a post rate of 0.84 posts a day (I have 20.something posts a day)...
I was saying this to hobo a while ago however: Its not quantity its quality. You need to be useful to the forum.
Now, I have a particular thing for helping people, its one of the things I love most. Doing little jobs for them when they cant' do it, helping them out with parts of the game etc. I just love doing it! So I suppose you have to love doing it aswell. If I were you, I would make lots of posts this week, and have an active online presence, to show everyone that your willing to make that little bit more of an effort. I know I can't really say much because I haven't been here long, but in the time I have been here, I have made a years worth of posts and contribution in a few days. Now thats not impossible, and its not hard either, so I suggest you get on out there and make a difference if you really want that title.
Anybody can do it, the fact that most people don't is more to do with personal choice, its down to you. You have to remember though, that once you get that custom rank, you have to live up to it. For instance its no use you having a rank like "OWF Walking Game Manual" when you hardly ever answer any questions. Once you get the rank, your attatching yourself to the commitment that it comes with it.

Now before you start telling me off for making you sound useless Spare a thought for what I really mean: Your a great guy, just wanting to have that title means you want to make a difference here and that you want to help people, but there are actions to go with the words. You need to think about whether you want to be expected to work that hard aroumd here. I do my best, and I am sure you can too. Good luck!

Yours informatively, Reese

PS: It may seem like I am contradicting myself here, but what I am trying to say is: Make your contribution known.
05-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

:
as you have a post rate of 0.84 posts a day (I have 20.something posts a day)...
Reese it's good you can spend so much time on the forums but a lot of other people don't have as much time to spare.

05-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Yes, thats true Fac, but someone who is unable to spend any reasonable amount of time on the forums, can't really make a reasonable contribution. Its not their fault, which makes it rather unfortunate because if they could have it any other way then they would probably spend ages in the forums. But I respect that they can't so I am not making them look lazy for it. Damn, I am so tired of hearing Faith No More on the TV. Anyway, as far as I am concerned, custom ranks label those of use who have done well so that all others can see that we have made a valuable contribution. So as long as anyone has one, I can appreciate that they have made a considerable difference here. Now AlphaScrab has obviously made thousands of posts, I am not going to go look for them to check whether I agree with them, I am not going to analyse them to see if he really deserves a custom rank because its not up to me. If Abe Babe decides that he has made enough of a contribution to deserve one, then I will respect that desition. But I don't think we should make a trend out of handing out custom ranks to everybody, they are rewarded as special merits and a recognition of a users efforts. Not that I don't think AlphaScrab deserves one, I think anyone who has that many posts deserves one, its an acheivement on its own.

I dunno, I guess I am kinda worried that custom ranks will just be handed out to everyone and no one will be recognised for what they have done anymore.

Either way, its Abe Babes call, but personally I think it should be handed to the people who have made an outstanding/considerable effort. And if they are unable tp make posts as often as others, we shouldn't hand them out in sympathy saying things like "Well if he could have made more posts then he would have", because we just don't know that...

I am not trying to be rude to AlphaScrab or you or anyone else BTW, I am generalising. I think if alcar thinks that he has made the effort then I am all for it, who better to hear it from?

Reese
05-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

:
Either way, its Abe Babes call.
And me, don't forget me

Anyway, I focus more on the quiet achievers.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

05-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

As much as I honor your opinion Alcar, I can't help but think thats a little bit foolish. Anyway, its up to Abe Babe and as you pointed out, up to you aswell. I beleive everyone is entitled for recognition of their hard work, but not if they haven't really done anything. Whatever it is your doing, its working well for this forum, so keep doing it anyway. I just wanted to put in my ten cents.

Reese
05-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

When I say quiet achievers, I mean people that do just as good as others, but they decide to be humble about it.

Alphascrab is one of them

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

05-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)
Happy

Well then what are you waiting for? Give him that rank already!
05-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

There's actually a discussion about me? Humble quiet old me?? wow... I didn't know I would be starting a discussion by my post...

Well, I think yer right RC, well, at least I agree with the whole "I dunno, I guess I am kinda worried that custom ranks will just be handed out to everyone and no one will be recognised for what they have done anymore." thing, and I respect you for that...

So, I'll just wait and see what happens...

Cyaz

05-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Good on you mate. just hang on in there and wait for something to happen...

Do you have any ideas about what you would choose as a custom rank?

Reese
05-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

Joshy  (20)

Alpha Scarab you're a wonderful member and you have contributed alot to oddworld help, you're bound to get a custom title. Like.... Oddworld Helper or the one you suggested.

05-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

*looks at Josh's title*

The greatest contribution of all: A person to beat down in KoC.
05-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

Joshy  (20)

:
Originally posted by Majic_Abe
*looks at Josh's title*

The greatest contribution of all: A person to beat down in KoC.
Majic is so evil.... i reckon he should be demod
And stop ATTACKING ME!!!