Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

06-29-2001, 01:37 PM
midnight roller
Zappfly

: Jun 2001
: 5
midnight roller  (10)

Please post that story cmon, i am looking forward to the rest of it. Please!
06-29-2001, 03:06 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: Apr 2001
: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

sorry i haven't been able to connect for a couple of days.

ah, replies... *savours them* thank'ee for the support and encouragement. have a couple of chapters...

CHAPTER 24

It’s odd really: I’d lived in Cyrcit – a Port City – for almost all my life, and yet I’d never seen the Ocean up close. I’d never been down to the beach or the harbour; I’d never been out in a boat. I’d seen pictures, and I’d seen it on television, but I’d never seen the Ocean in person, as it were. Yes, that’s a good term for it. In Person. Because it is like a person, in a way. It has a personality. It has moods: it can be bad-tempered or calm. The Ocean is very beautiful, in many ways.

One of the beautiful things about it is that it is never totally calm: if you look closely enough, you will see that it is rough all the time. After all, you never see your reflection in the sea…

This roughness is comforting, in a way. It’s partly because of the sense of reassurance that we always feel when confronted with something that will never change; the constancy eases us. We feel that, whatever may go wrong with our lives, the Ocean will always be the same. Or maybe that’s just me, because as I have already said: I’m Weird. There is a practical advantage to the roughness, though: it is so much easier to float in rough water than in calm water.

Yan woke me as the boat began to break up. I don’t know why they didn’t wake me beforehand, but I guess they were unable to think straight in the storm. He was screaming something at me, but I couldn’t make him out over the wind. We were all apparently still in the boat, but the boat was rapidly becoming driftwood around us. The rest of us were all awake; many were screaming, like Yan. We all had lifebelts secured beneath our arms, but that didn’t stop the panic from setting in.

Almost instinctively, I crawled over to Quiss, who was curled up, shivering. I put an arm around his shoulders, and sat him up. I couldn’t see clearly in the rain, but my feet were submerged, and I could see a large section of the side of the boat missing.

The boat broke up. I was left drifting on a wide plank, with Quiss and Rixx. I didn’t see what happened to the others, but the waves threw us off our plank in no time, and we found ourselves struggling in the choppy water. I kept hold of Quiss, but could do little more than merely keep us afloat.

We trod water for a long time; it seemed like forever. The sky darkened, and the rain eased. The wind grew no less cold, however, and the waves no less towering.

I was half-dead with cold when something hit me on the head, and I began to lose consciousness.

CHAPTER 25

The first thing that hit me when I awoke was the noise. I wasn’t sure where I was, but I could hear the hum of engines, and the roar of the storm. The floor was bucking under me, so I guessed that I was on a ship. When I opened my eyes, the light was blinding after the darkness of the last few hours, so I closed them again.

“Phew! This one’s alive, at least! I thought he was a goner when you hit him with the pole!” The voice didn’t sound familiar, but sounded like a mudokon.

“Yeah, well, I couldn’t see clearly in the dark.” This second voice sounded vaguely slig-like. “I was hoping it’d fall next to him so he’d climb up it.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter, he’s okay now, but be more careful next time.”

The slig voice made what sounded like a sigh. “Who’s idea was this anyway?”

“The Boss’s, so keep the criticism low, yeah?”

The slig lowered his voice. “What’s this all about?”

There was a pause, before the mudokon answered. “Between you and me, the Boss’s profits have fallen. He can’t afford new slaves any more, but he needs to replace the guys who died in the hurricane last week.”

“So he comes out here to steal other people’s?”

“No.” The mudokon sounded exasperated. “He says that everyone else’ll assume they’ve died in the storm, so he’ll get away with it, no problem.”

There was a pause. “Who’s do you think these were?”

I felt the mudokon bending over me. “Not sure. There wasn’t much in the boat aside from this lot. The Glukk might be their Boss, but I don’t know. He wasn’t very well dressed if he was.”

I heard the slig’s metallic footsteps approach me. “Could they have been drifters?”

“In a boat? No, I expect we’ll hear about it on MOM tonight.”

I heard a heavy metal door swing open, and a deep voice shout into the room.

“Hey! You two! Stop messing around and get up here! We’re going back, there ain’t gonna be any more out here tonight.”

“Yes Boss!” The two mismatched voices called back in reply. I heard heavy footfalls echoing in a corridor, as they retreated. The mudokon and the slig began to walk away from me.

“Prick.” The slig kept his voice low.

“Well, insulting him won’t do us any good.”

“Makes me feel better, though…”

I heard a door slam, and footsteps recede into the distance. Slowly, and cautiously, I opened my eyes, worried about what I would see. After what I’d just heard, I realised that I was now a slave, so I couldn’t expect to be treated very well.

I was in a small well-lit room. I wasn’t tied up, which was a good sign, and the room didn’t look too forbidding. Not welcoming, but at least there were no mudokon skeletons manacled to the walls [I think Flakit had always considered that to be one of his better ideas], and the smell wasn’t unpleasant. Looking around, I could see Quiss tossing and turning in his sleep close to me, and Yan leaning against a wall, his eyes closed. There was a small window on one wall. Frosted Glass. No bars. I stood up to take a closer look. It opened a little, just enough to see the waves, not enough to squeeze out of. By the darkness outside, it seemed to be about midnight.

I moved to wake Quiss up, but decided against it.

“So we’re slaves now, are we?”

I turned at the sound of Yan’s voice. I hadn’t even realised he was awake. “Maybe. Looks like it.” His eyes were still closed.

“Suppose you’re used to it.” His voice was neutral, almost resigned.

I sighed. I never liked talking about my past. “Yeah. Been a slave all my life.”

Pause. “What’s it like?”

What to say? It really depended on what your master was like. Some masters, like Zell, weren’t really that bad. Others, like Flakit, would treat you like scum. “Not as bad as you hear.”

I thought I saw a smile playing on Yan’s lips. “Don’t spare me the gory details.”

I sat down. “It depends on the master.”

“You heard his voice too, right?”

I nodded. When he didn’t respond, I realised he still had his eyes closed. “Yeah.”

“Sound good or bad.”

I didn’t respond for a long time. “We should get some sleep.”

“Have you seen Vint, Ulp, and the others?”

I hadn’t thought of that. “I’m sure they’re okay.”

He laughed, humourlessly. “Better than us, if they drowned.”

“Don’t say that. He might not be that bad.”

Yan said nothing. After a while, I heard his soft snores, and settled down myself.

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

07-01-2001, 09:51 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Yay! I like it! I like it! I like it!
there you now owe me 6 chapters.

07-01-2001, 12:20 PM
BigBroSig
Fuzzle

: Ponca City,Oklahoma
: 149
BigBroSig  (10)

WOW I think this should be a published book! This is the best fic i've read so far. keep up da good work!

07-01-2001, 05:31 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

[stern voice] you'll get what you're given, rich, and be thankful! [/stern voice]

thanks for the support, as i always say [I.E. can't be arsed to think of anything original].

while i'm here, i'd like to ask again if anyone feels like being my victim, and having me email them the first few chapters of my new fic, "Time and the Dance" [working title only], so they can read it through before i post it? thanks in advance to whoever volunteers...

this next chapter is a bit awkward and info-giving, and it may be a little hard to work out what the f*ck i'm saying. chapter 27 is horrible, and i'm reluctant to post it. maybe later...

CHAPTER 26

In a way, we’re all brothers and sisters. I mean, we all have the same mother, Sam. The Slaves, I mean. Maybe it makes us closer than most people, I don’t know. I sometimes wonder you, with your proper families, feel as close to each other as we do. I suspect that you don’t. But you probably feel more attached to your real siblings, as you don’t have so many. I expect that we don’t feel as close to each other as you do to your brothers and sisters.

We do, however, feel extremely close to those of us who were born from the same clutch of eggs. We tend to look similar, almost identical, and of course we would be the same age. I suppose that this clutchmate relationship is probably equivalent to your brother/sister relationships. In fact, we refer to our clutchmates as ‘brothers’. This is the most family that most of us ever get, although if we’re lucky we may be adopted by a middle-class mudokon family, then we’d get treated as sons and daughters.

I never had either kind of relationship. As far as I knew, I had never met a ‘brother’, and I didn’t strike it lucky early on, which is what you have to do to get adopted; they don’t adopt above about 3 years old. So I had always been alone.

Until now, as you’ll see.

Good News, Bad News. Vint, Ulp, Rixx, and Olek had all been rescued, as we discovered to our joy when we reached land. Unfortunately, we also discovered that the seven of us were indeed slaves.

Marlik, our new master, seemed to be the toughest in the city, although not as bad as Flakit had been. He wasn’t especially tall for a Glukkon, but he was almost twice as wide as normal. Unlike most Glukkons, he didn’t employ many sligs to do the beating up for him; he preferred a hands-on approach, which mostly considered of giving his slaves a swift kick as he passed, just enough to break a few ribs, not enough to make them unable to work [by his judgement]. He did employ four sligs, but they were mostly used as bodyguards, not for doling out punishments. He kept them at Bigbro status, and we were almost glad that he didn’t get them to beat us. Glad, that is, until we received a little of what he himself doled out.

Like Cyrcit, Carthag was an Industrial City. Unlike Cyrcit, it had only one industry. Fishing. It sounds like quite a quiet, easy pastime, but believe me, it wasn’t. Marlik was one of the junior fishermen. He had only four slaves, apart from us, but we were housed in the same huge communal building as all of the other slaves in the city. He took us out on his boat four or five at a time when we were going out to check the nets or set new ones, except for Olek, who was unable to work with him broken armleg, even by Marlik’s standards.

The mudokon and slig who’d pulled me out of the water were called Gil and Snat. They seemed genuinely sorry for bringing us into the life of slavery, saying that they only did it because they thought that even slavery was preferable to drowning.

The other two slaves were Laur, a tall female with one missing eye, and Hap, a three-year old girl. Marlik particularly enjoyed punishing Hap, I suppose because it demoralised the rest of us.

Like I say, Flakit had been worse, so I was able to withstand him without breaking down. The others weren’t as fortunate. Out of them, only Quiss and Rixx were the only ones who had been slaves before, and I had a sneaking suspicion that Quiss, at least, was not comforted by the fact that he had suffered worse, but was in fact reminded of his past experiences. Rixx seemed to be holding up the best, apart from me, but Quiss often collapsed on the floor, racked with sobs.

Sadly, that meant that he received the worst of the punishment. The first time I heard Quiss’s ribs breaking, and had to set them roughly myself, was on our sixth day after we were rescued from drowning. I was disgusted, and resolved to escape.

Strangely, the anger I felt then was closely followed by what was possibly the most happy discovery of my life.

Me, Vint, Quiss, and Gil were pulling up one of the fishing nets. There were all sorts of rare creatures caught in the nets, all of which would probably be sold in some form or another by Marlik. Marlik and his guards passed us by on their rounds. Suddenly I heard a muffled crack, and Quiss’s scream. Turning, I saw, Quiss writhing in agony on the floor, clutching at his misshapen chest. Marlik was walking away, flanked by two of his BB Sligs, wiping a small bloodstain from his shoe onto the deck.

We stopped pulling on the ropes, and rushed to Quiss’s side. With the presence of mind he always seemed to possess, Vint rushed to the wall, and pulled off the Medikit. I stroked Quiss’s head and tried to relax him, before snapping his ribs back into place. This made him scream louder, but I knew that it would be necessary if he was to heal. Leaving Vint to do the bandaging, I stood and angrily attempted to follow Marlik. Gil’s hand on my shoulder stayed me.

“Your brother needs help. Revenge will just get you killed.”

I nodded, and returned to Quiss’s side. It was only later, back on shore in our room, when Quiss was bandaged and sleeping fitfully, that I actually realised what Gil had said.

“Gil?”

“Hmm?”

I shared a room with Gil, Quiss, Laur and Hap.

“What did you call Quiss?”

Gil looked puzzled. “I didn’t insult him, did I?”

I shook my head. He’d misunderstood me. “No, I mean what did you describe him as?”

“What? Your Brother?”

I pointed a finger at him. “That’s it! Why did you call him my brother?”

He looked mollified. “Oh, I’m sorry, I just assumed…”

“Why?”

“Well, you look so much alike, and you’re always the first to his side when he’s punished.”

I looked down at Quiss. Could it be? Now that I thought about it, I was amazed that I hadn’t noticed the similarity before. Possibly because I had never seen my own face looking as innocent as his did. Maybe because whenever I saw my own face in a mirror, I saw nothing but the Killer, who couldn’t even attempt to contaminate such a pure, guileless face as Quiss’s. But still, you’d think I’d know my own face, after living for so long amongst Zell’s mirrors. Had I been twisted so much by that incident.

So Quiss was my brother. That explained why I felt such a strong bond with him. Even when I first met him, I’d felt some kind of subconscious attachment there. It was all so clear now.

I had a relative.

07-02-2001, 01:11 AM
BigBroSig
Fuzzle

BigBroSig  (10)

YYAAYYYY! MORE! MORE! MORE! plz?

07-03-2001, 05:10 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

*sigh* okay, you've talked me into it...

this next chapter is EVIL, and i apologise in advance for it.

CHAPTER 27

The revelation of Quiss’s relationship to me was so surprising, that I forgot all thoughts of escape for the next week or so, but there was one incident, on one afternoon during our third week, that reminded me of the importance of escape, stiffened my resolve, and renewed my hatred for our master.

Vint, Ulp, Yan, and Rixx were out checking the nets, under Marlik’s Supervision. Quiss was sleeping fitfully on his bunk, and the rest of us were trying to sleep as well. I must have managed to drift off, because I was woken up later by the slam of the cell door.

“Shh! Stupid bastard!”

“Sorry.”

I rolled over slowly, to see two of the BB Slig guards walking among the slaves, looking them over. They seemed to be heading roughly in the direction of our corner. I watched them, still half-asleep, so I felt no fear. I couldn’t work out what they were doing at first, then I realised that they were looking over all of the females. One of them paused over Laur.

“What about this one?”

The other stepped back beside his companion. “Naa, have you seen her eye?” He walked forward again, then paused, turning back to the other slig. “I don’t know what you’re doing here, anyway, I was the one who caught the escapees.”

The other slig tensed up slightly. I saw the tendons in his neck stand out; he seemed to be preparing for fight or flight. “We both helped!”

“Well, he said I could have the reward. So don’t expect any.” He turned and continued looking over the female slaves. I almost gasped when he paused over Hap. “I like this one.”

His comrade approached and stood by his side. “She’s young. I don’t think she’s been had before.”

“Ooh, a Fresh!” The Bigbro made what I had learned to recognise as a slig smile. “It’s always painful, their first time…” He bent over, reaching his hand out to the sleeping child.

The other frowned. “Couldn’t I go first? You had the last Fresh!”

The hand paused. “I told you, you don’t get any!” He swung the hand round, catching the other slig a strong blow to the face. The other slig looked surprised, and tensed his arm, but then seemed to think better of it, and turned, exiting the communal cell. The first slig froze for a moment, before turning back to Hap, who had been awoken by the noise, and was looking up at the huge form over her. Intense, pure fear radiated from her eyes, and the slig revelled in it, and chuckled. “Now, you’ve seen this happen to the others, so you know how it works.” He grasped her by the shoulder, pulling her up into a sitting position.

She shivered. “No…”

The slig chuckled. “Now, I’ll have to pretend I didn’t hear that.” He pulled her body closer to his, into a standing position. “And you, my dear, will have to pretend you never said it!” On the word ‘said’, he swung his hand round, slapping her hard on the side of the head, knocking her to the floor.

I looked around, amazed that people were managing to sleep through this. To my horror, I saw that no one was actually asleep; everyone was lying awake. I was amazed and shocked that no one was trying to stop the events unfolding before them, or even showing serious disapproval. Gil lay on his side, looking bored as much as anything else. Laur wore a look of wearied but tolerant disapproval, as if the bigbro was an errant child disobeying its parents once again, and she was sick of admonishing it. As for the other nearby slaves, they were watching with emotions ranging between mild concern and – some of them – genuine enjoyment, as if the rape was a circus performance out on for their benefit. I shuddered at the thought.

The slig managed to tear off Hap’s ragged clothes, despite her feeble attempts to resist him. He was desperately fumbling for the catch on his pants. I decided that, even if no one else cared, I at least would not allow this violation to take place before my eyes. I stood quietly, although Hap was making quite enough noise to drown out any that I made. Sneaking quietly up behind the slig, I attempted to harness the part of me that had already killed eight people. Nothing. It was as if the Killer didn’t exist within me. The bastard had deserted me when I needed him the most.

I realised that I would have to do this myself. My hands snaked around the slig’s throat. He was confused at first, then he became angry as he realised what was happening. I managed to pull him off Hap before he threw me from his back. Turning, he swiped his hand at my face, drawing three thin lines of blood across my cheek. As I fell, he returned his attention to the prostrate child. I glanced around desperately for some kind of weapon. As I looked around, my eyes met with those of the other slaves, but all eyes were averted as I met them. I was angry, furious at them for leaving Hap to suffer at the hands of this monster, not even following my lead in trying to save her.

My eyes fell on the slig’s huge pants. Reaching down, I hefting the pants above my head and brought them down on the head of the slig. I hoped that it would knock him unconscious at least, if not kill him. Unfortunately, he seemed to be made of sterner stuff. He did fall off Hap, looking up at me in surprise. As I raised the pants over my head once more, he rolled out of the way, and began dragging himself towards the exit.

“I will have you soon!” He called back, I assume, to Hap. “And you needn’t think you’re getting away with this!” This was probably to me. With that, he pulled himself out of the doorway, and locked the door behind himself.

I crouched beside Hap, to comfort her. “It’s okay… You’re safe now. He’s gone now. You’ll be okay.” I put my arms around her. She shuddered at first, considering the circumstances of her latest close physical contact, but then relaxed as I gently rocked her backwards and forwards. I looked over her shoulder at the other slaves. Those who would meet my eyes were staring in disbelief at what I had just done. “I don’t know what you’re staring at. You’re the ones who should be ashamed of yourselves! Were you just going to let him do that to her?”

Gil looked down guiltily. “It happens a lot here.”

“And that’s okay, is it? Hap’s just a child, for fuck’s sake! She’s only a quarter of your age!” He wouldn’t meet my eyes. “We have to get out of here! For fuck’s sake, we’re working for someone who lets his guards rape us as a reward!”

Snat looked up at me. “Where would we go?”

“What about the natives? We could find a village and join them. Or found our own; we have enough people.”

Laur didn’t bother to sit up. “How would we get there then, if you’ve got this all sorted out?”

I paused. “Well, we just get out of Carthag, and walk. This place isn’t far from the Frontiers; it wouldn’t take us long. Or we could steal one of the ships; there aren’t many guards.”

There was a long pause; then Snat seemed to voice what they were all thinking. “They’d kill us. We’d never get beyond the main cell doors!”

“No, we would. There are over two hundred of us, and only two guards on duty at once!”

“Yeah, but they have GUNS!”

“And what about the people who’re working now? Do we leave them behind?”

I ignored Snat, and replied to Laur. “Obviously, we’d escape at night, when we’re all here.”

Snat was insistent. “What about the guns?”

“Well, I’m sure we could –”

“YOU!”

The argument ceased, and all heads turned to the doorway. The Bigbro who’d tried to rape Hap was framed in the light of the corridor. This time he carried a large machine gun. Which was pointed at me.

“Get your ass over here now! And bring the girl!”

I looked from Hap to the slig. If I disobeyed, he was likely to kill me and take Hap anyway, whereas if I went with them, there was a chance that I might be able to stop him again. I crouched down beside Hap.

“It’s going to be alright,” I whispered, “I won’t let him hurt you, it’s okay…”

“Hurry up!”

I pulled Hap to her feet, and helped her to walk to the door. As the slig grabbed us roughly, to drag us away, I glanced back at the desensitised faces in the cell, and almost cried.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Rettick ]

07-03-2001, 06:48 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

[Screaming voice]

Oh God!
Shit! Shit! Shit! F***! F***!
*Gets breath back*
"SSSHHHIIITTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

[Screaming voice/]

Phew! Ok you distgusting twisted Devil!
But hey who cares! like Big Bro Slig said It's great keep it coming!

07-03-2001, 07:50 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

hehe, i anticipated that sort of reaction... but believe me, it could have been much worse. it took three drafts just to edit it down to this level. the first two were just too nasty to post.

you want more? i'll give you more... incidentally, after these next two chapters, there are only 5 more to post, then it's aaallllll done...

CHAPTER 28

It’s true what they say. No good deed goes unpunished. I had seen it happen many times before, when one slave has been punished for helping another. Some of them had comforted them when they’d been punished themselves; some, like me, had tried to protect another slave from the guards. This was the sort of thing that you never got away with. I still don’t know what the slig had in mind for me, and I am quite glad that I will never find out, although considering the events of later that night, maybe it would have been better all round if he had killed me then.

He took us to one of the lower levels in the building. We were led down corridors lined with empty cells, until he stopped, and unlocked one of them. I was thrown inside, and the door locked behind me. The slig then unlocked the cell next door, and dragged Hap inside.

He dragged her to the back wall, and strung her up by her arms, with heavy manacles around her wrists. All that separated me from them was a set of metal bars, but it could have been a three-foot thick concrete wall for all the difference it made. As I watched the slig unlocking his pants and sliding out of them, my eyes cast around for some way to stop him. I hadn’t prevented this earlier only to let it happen now. They were out of reach; I couldn’t just hit the bastard. My gaze fell onto the floor near to the bars.

The machine gun. He’d thrown it down as he walked into the cell, and it looked to be just within my grasp. I glanced up at the slig. He didn’t seem to be in a great hurry to get on with it, and seemed to be taking his time in tormenting the poor child before he took her. At least he wasn’t looking in my direction. I slowly crouched down, reaching my hand between the bars.

The slig glanced round at me. It was probably just to gauge my reactions, but when he saw what I was doing, he lost all interest in Hap, and began to crawl towards me as fast as he could without his pants on. I snatched up the machine gun, and began to empty its ammunition into his torso. The first bullets hit in the chest, and killed him. I then began to pump them into the head, to be sure. When his head was almost totally blown away, I turned my attention back to his torso, emptying ammunition into him as fast as I could. I heard Hap’s screams, crying at me to stop, but I ignored them, consumed in my own hatred and contempt for the despicable creature before me. Only when I ran out of bullets did I allow my ninth victim to rest in peace, as I sank to the ground, disgusted at him, at myself, at my fellow slaves, and at the world in general.

CHAPTER 29

Emotions fought in my mind. I was disgusted at myself for the bloodthirsty way I’d despatched the slig, but at the same time a sort of pride at the fact that I was able to save Hap once more. There was also an emotion that I couldn’t pinpoint, which was glad that there was some goodness left in me, glad that I hadn’t been able to sit by and watch Hap’s rape. Two sorts of fear thrilled through my veins, adding their weight to the already many-sided battle for supremacy: there was the natural fear that we would be taken away and punished for the death of the guard, as well as the fear that had been building in me since Zell’s death: the fear of myself.

And there was joy. I don’t know how it got there, but it typified what I was afraid of in myself: I elated in Death, in Destruction. While my body lay there, alone and terrified, part of my soul was dancing in the pool of blood that seeped from the corpse.

I awoke to the sound of sobbing. At first I thought it was my own, but it wasn’t in time with my breathing. I raised my head, to see Hap curled up in a foetal position in a corner of her cell, her head buried in her arms, tears dripping down her arms to the ground.

“Hap?”

There was a pause in her sobs, but she did not look up.

“It’s okay, Hap, he won’t be hurting you now.”

No response.

“I’m sorry, Hap, but it had to be done. You know what he was going to do to you; did you really want that to happen?”

At first, she remained as she was, then she raised her head. Her eyes were swollen and red from crying.

“Now, we need to get out of these cells. Can you see the slig’s pants over there?” A slow nod. “Can you reach them?”

She slowly unfolded, and crawled across the blood-slicked floor, as if not trusting her legs to support her weight.

“Good girl. Now, you see that little pocket in the side? Open it.”

She searched for a few heart-thumping seconds before finding the little hatch on the thigh. The keys she drew out glinted in the cold glow of the cell’s warmth-free lights.

“Well done. Now, I don’t think you can reach the lock on your door, so you’ll have to bring the keys to me.”

She hesitated. I held my breath. Maybe I was asking her to trust me a little too much after what she’d just seen me do. After seeming to weigh up her choices, she stood, a little unsteadily, and walked over to the dividing bars. I was able to take the keys from her without resistance, but she suddenly grabbed at my wrist, pulling me towards her. She was surprisingly strong considering that I was about four times her age. She pulled me to the bars, then reached her arms around me, hugging me tight.

“Hap, I can’t open the doors if you don’t let me go.”

Still she held me.

“Look, you’re safe now. He’s not coming back.”

Her grip didn’t slacken.

“I’m sorry, but we need to get out.” I reached behind my back, and pulled her hands away from me. Then I was free, and I walked up to the cell door, and unlocked it. Once outside, I was able to unlock Hap’s door. Seeing her door open, she rushed at me, leaping into the protection of my arms. I worried that she may have an exaggerated view of my strength, and see me as some kind of protector, instead of the incredibly lucky bastard I actually was. Looking down at her huddled shape pressed into my chest, her body racked with sobs, I came to a decision.

“Fuck them. We’re getting out of here. I don’t care if they come with us or not – they seem to want to stay – but I can’t let you stay here to be mistreated just because they’re misguided.”

I tried to put her down, but she clung to me like a shellfish. I realised I’d have to carry her wherever we went. I had no idea where that was going to be, but it would be away from here, which was good enough for me.

I decided to go back to the main slave quarters, and have one last try at persuading the others to come with me. Whatever happened, I couldn’t leave Quiss, my newfound brother.

I picked up the machine gun, but there were no more bullet clips, so I dropped it again, and set off back the way we’d been led before.

07-04-2001, 05:15 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

I LOVE reading this!
No amount of sex will ever stop that!

07-04-2001, 06:01 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Spider: *snarl* he should've left some of that slig fer me to pummel *cracks his knuckles*

Oy i wasn't expecting that Rett. Love it anyway *grin*. Oh and don't mind Spider...he has a strong parential instinct...seeing kids get mistreated really gets his goat...

Spider: Yer better believe it! I wish i did more ter that one slig who beat up...

AH! No spoilers from the your fic!

Spider: oops sorry...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

07-05-2001, 03:41 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

here's a short chapter to whet your appetite.

in the next chapter, it begins...

CHAPTER 30

To be totally honest, and to my shame, I had completely forgotten about my fellow stowaways, except for Quiss, and felt extremely guilty when I saw Vint, Yan and the others standing in the cell with the other slaves. He seemed a little surprised to see me, which was probably because the other slaves had told him I was dead. Considering what happened later that day, it would probably have been better if I had been.

Quiss, conscious for once, was the first to break the silence. “You’re alive!” He got weakly to his feet, and crossed the room to me, throwing his arms around me. “They said you were done for…”

“Not quite. Not yet anyway.” I set Hap on the floor, and she ran to Laur, who embraced her. “Vint, we need to get out of here. These people said no, but I’m going, and I’m taking Hap and Quiss with me. I think we have a chance; one guard is dead, and I haven’t seen the other since the first hit him. Are you with me?”

Vint smiled emptily. “I’ve spoken to Gil. We’re all going.”

“Really? What did you say?”

“We told them about the real world, and persuaded them that even death is better than this.”

I almost grinned, despite the seriousness of the situation. “We should go now; the other guard might be back any minute.”

Vint nodded. “Come on everyone, let’s get moving. Who knows the city best?”

There was a murmuring, and Gil was pushed reluctantly to the front of the crowd. “I can lead you to the main gate, but we’ll never get out, even if we reach it.”

“Well, we’ll have to take that chance. We’re not backing out before we start.”

I kept one arm around Quiss’s shoulders, and held out the other hand to Hap, who ran up beside me. I looked round at the crowd behind us, seeing blank faces, dead minds, broken by years of slavery. I tried to see some spark of hope there; I saw it in most of them, but some were too far gone. There was little chance of them ever regaining their own self-respect, but then there wasn’t really much chance of anyone surviving this escape attempt. I looked at Yan, Ulp, and Rixx, who were helping to carry Olek with us. This might be the last time I see any of you, I thought. I had faced death before, almost constantly since… since killing Zell. I was sort of prepared for it, although it had never been quite so hopeless before. Okay, so a guard was dead. That maybe meant we could get out of the slave quarters, but how many hundreds of guards would there be in the rest of the city? I got the feeling I had used up my stock of luck already.

I turned, to face Gil, who was preparing to lead us out.

“Come on then, let’s get on with it.”

07-06-2001, 05:11 AM
BigBroSig
Fuzzle

BigBroSig  (10)

This story is great!
hey rett, what is your icq #?

07-06-2001, 05:22 AM
BigBroSig
Fuzzle

BigBroSig  (10)

HEY! I RESENT WHAT HAPPENED IN CHAP. 27! NOT ALL BB SLIGS ARE LIKE DAT!
at least I'm not
anywho, keep the story goin!
readin this is like drinkin coffee! (it's good but it sometimes burns ya tongue!)

07-08-2001, 10:18 AM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

thanks for the replies, bb. unfortunately, i am not at home right now, but i promise you a chapter next time i am home.

i don't know my icq# off by heart, so i'll look it up when i get home. i don't use icq much really, since most of my friends are on MSN.

07-08-2001, 08:29 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

can't talk. just read.

CHAPTER 31

The empty corridors multiplied any fears I had. Even our quiet footfalls sounded deafening in the silence, and as for the metallic clicks of the sligs in our company…

Amazingly, given the deafening silence around us, we reached the outer door of the Slave Block without incident. Despite his initial reluctance, Gil led us purposefully and confidently down the grey corridors, only hesitating a couple of times at multiple junctions.

At the Outer Door, however, our luck ran out.

As the door swung open, we heard the ear-splitting whine of the security alarm. As we reeled from the alarm, Gil looked around in a panic, before grabbing my arm and pointing down a side-alley.

“This way! Quickly!”

There was no time to question him, so I followed. Seeing us move off, the rest of the slaves followed, panicking slightly. Vint caught up with Gil.

“Is this-” he breathed, “Is this the way to the city gates?”

“We can’t go directly, we’d be picked up in no time!”

“Okay.”

Gil led us down a series of alleys, and I thought for a while that we’d lost anyone who might have been following us, but then I heard gunfire and screams from behind us. There was a sudden rush forward, and we all hurried round the corners Gil led us round, trying to outrun the gunshots of the guards behind. The sound and smell of death was around us, although I didn’t look back to see the slaughter of those who had followed me.

Then Gil led us down the wrong alley. Before us was a line of guards, waiting. We were trapped between two companies of guards, but they didn’t seem at all interested in capturing us, as they opened fire immediately. Gil fell, blood pouring from gaping holes in his chest and head. Hap, holding on to my hand, went limp as bullets penetrated her skull. My earlier attempts to protect her were now apparently wasted.

I saw a door in the side of the alley, and pulled it open, running inside without waiting to see what was there. Confused, most of the other slaves followed. We found ourselves in a large warehouse. Hearing signs of pursuit, I led us in a twisted path through the huge crates, which weren’t dissimilar to the ones that had been on the ship. Screams from behind told me that our pursuers weren’t very far behind.

I looked for an exit, and saw one. We hurried out into yet another alleyway, and I wasted no time in picking a random direction to run in. Whether our chances of survival would have been higher if I’d picked a different route, I never found out, but we soon found ourselves under pursuit. We scattered.

Me, Vint, Quiss, Yan, and about a dozen others found ourselves being picked off one by one by three pursuing sligs. I watched impassively as the bodies of my fellow escapees fell to the ground, as my own survival assumed overriding importance.

Then Quiss fell. I watched in horror as my new brother’s chest exploded with blood, and he sank to the ground. I turned, and dropped down beside the body. I had lived without relatives for all my life, and no sooner had I finally found one, when he was torn from my grasp in this act of violence. The others slowed, wondering why I had stopped, but I cared not. My life was as good as over in this moment. Then I felt a familiar cold rush of hatred. How dare these sligs take away the life of my brother? They had never known him; he had never done them wrong; he had only been trying to escape. I was the one who deserved that bullet; I had organised the escape, and cajoled Gil into leading us out. Quiss deserved better.

I stood, and turned to face our pursuers, my mind already being pushed aside by an all too familiar usurper. I watched as I charged at the three sligs, unarmed. Even with their weapons, they hesitated in the face of such obvious aggression, but soon opened fire. In their uncertainty, most of their shots missed, but I was hit in the right arm twice. I barely felt it, and took no notice.

The first slig died the easiest, his neck broken in one swift move. Then, as though that hadn’t been bad enough, I swung his corpse over my head and threw it at the other two. It failed to knock them down, but threw them off balance long enough for me to leap on one of them, biting at his face while my hands wrenched his gun from his grasp. He cried out in agony as I tore off two of his feeding tentacles with my teeth, and fell to the floor, clutching at his face. The third slig was desperately trying to reload his rifle, having fired all his bullets at me while I was running. I used the other slig’s rifle to knock his head back, throwing him to the ground. I swung the rifle down, smashing his goggles, before dropping the rifle, and pulling his feeding tentacles in different directions. As the skin tore from his face, he screamed, temporarily deafening me. I hit him with his rifle to shut him up, smashing his skull and killing him. I strode back to the slig whose tentacles I had bitten off. He was still now, having lost a lot of blood, but just to be on the safe side I picked him up and broke his neck.

I wasted no time in returning to Quiss’s body, and kneeling beside it. I saw the horrified looks on the faces of the other slaves, but took no notice. I did my best to staunch the flow of blood from the hole in Quiss’s rapidly cooling corpse, pretending to myself that it would do some good. When I could feel no pulse I tried to restart his heart, and when that failed I collapsed over the body. Vint approached me tentatively.

“Ulven? Come on, let’s go.”

“Help me with Quiss.”

“Ulven, we don’t have time to mess around, we have to get out of here.”

“I’m not leaving him.” I clung to Quiss’s cold hand, as if to reinforce what I had said.

Vint sighed. “We can’t do any good for him.”

“If we leave him, he’ll die!” I was getting angry. Was Vint just a heartless bastard?

“He IS dead, Ulven!”

“NO!” Suddenly furious, I stood and punched Vint in one smooth motion, knocking him to the ground in a fit of rage. I stood, looking down at his shocked expression, and felt the last vestiges of the killer leave my mind, for the last time ever. I was as shocked as he was by my actions, and thought for a moment that he was going to hit me back. Instead, he stood, turned, and ran off down the alley. After a brief hesitation and a few glances my way, the other slaves followed him, leaving me alone with my brother’s corpse. I didn’t care. I collapsed across his chest, my tears mixing with his blood.

That was how the guards found me, half an hour later. They had some difficulty prising Quiss’s corpse from my grip, as my arms were frozen as if in death, and his blood had dried, cementing the bond that would always exist between us, undamaged by death and despair.

07-10-2001, 03:10 AM
BigBroSig
Fuzzle

BigBroSig  (10)

wow.... this is the best fic I've ever read! ( no joke ) BLOOD VIOLENCE usually tese would make a fic bad but no! this time it turned out for the better! YAAAAAAYYY!!!

thx rett.

07-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

thanx for the encouragement, BB! after this, there's only 3 more chapters to go...

CHAPTER 32

The Civic leaders charged me with rebellion. There was a small ‘Trial’, but since I had openly confessed before the interrogators had even started torturing me, and the ‘Jury’ was totally biased anyway, it was fairly pointless. I was sentenced to death, and my death was scheduled for the next morning. In the meantime, I was returned to the now empty communal cell, which had been my home for the past month, and promised a further interrogation later.

In near-darkness, I brooded over my life. Specifically, over the last three months, and the Madness that had gradually consumed me. The Killer had appeared for the first time, and had used me to kill twelve people, if you didn’t count the many who I had led to death in the revolt. It seemed like he had only taken control of me when it pleased him, but now I realised that he was there all of the time, that he was an integral part of me, of all of us. Really, he didn’t exist in the separate form in which I had always imagined him; my personification of the evil within me had just been an excuse, a justification. The truth was, I enjoyed killing. Not just killing for the sake of killing (except for one, the first, and the worst), but when I had to kill, I relished it. I revelled in it. I was no better than the slig who had tried to rape Hap: I gained pleasure from the suffering of others, even if they were ‘The Enemy’. None of them had really deserved death, and I had been fully aware of that. But I didn’t care. I could have knocked people unconscious, or merely broken their gun arms, but I had killed them, and enjoyed it. I felt unclean and better off dead.

“Deep Thoughts?”

I turned at the voice. It was very familiar, but in my state I couldn’t place it, especially in the darkness. A figure moved into the dim light cast by the window in the cell door.

“Yan? Is that you?”

The face smiled, humourlessly. “Did they torture you badly?”

“Where are the others?”

“Others?” Yan’s face screwed up in puzzlement. His voice was in a monotone, the emotionless drawl of those who know they are to die soon, and no longer care about anything.

“Where’s Vint?”

“Vint?” He seemed to be struggling to remember. “Oh yeah, he’s dead.”

“Dead?” I think I sounded surprised, although that was the answer I was really expecting.

“Well, he looked dead when they showed us his head.”

I paused, my head sinking onto my chest. “How did he die?”

“They tortured him to death. He refused to tell them who started the revolt.”

That did surprise me. That Vint would defend me with his life, even after the way I had treated him? My hollow confession seemed somehow ungrateful now.

“What about the others? What of Ulp and, err, Rixx?”

“They’re being tortured now. I expect they’re probably dead too now.”

“Olek?”

He looked at me. “Who?”

“The glukkon.”

“Oh, they shot him while we were running. Died painlessly, lucky bastard.”

“What about…” I dug for names. “Laur? And Snat?”

“Laur was the one with one eye, yeah? She was one of the few who made it to the gates.”

“She escaped?”

He shook his head. “No, they couldn’t open them, and they were all mown down by guards. I didn’t see Snat.”

I lay on the floor, dejectedly. So I’d killed them all. There were now over two hundred deaths on my conscience, as opposed to the twelve I had thought about before. And I had now accepted that I was totally responsible for my actions; I couldn’t blame any of them on any shadowy ‘Killer’ who took over my mind.

A strange clarity took me. My death seemed the easy way out, but it wouldn’t make anything better. How could I hope to redeem myself, and possibly repay society for what I had done, if I was dead? I realised that, in any case, I didn’t wish to die. I could reform; I had admitted my responsibility, which they always say is the first step. And there was so much that I could still do to redress the balance of good and evil in my soul. Only then could I rest. Vint had let himself die to try and protect me, and he wouldn’t have done that unless he saw something in me that needed to survive.

Yan was standing. “Looks like they’ve come to take us for more torture, before our execution. Get ready.”

Then I saw the full scale of the paradox I was trapped in: I couldn’t change my ways or make up for them if I was dead, but I was about to be executed, and I couldn’t escape unless I let what I had called ‘The Killer’ loose. The irony of this struck me, and I laughed with genuine mirth for the first time in a long while: in order to finally rid myself of my dark side, I would first have to use the full force of its power. I couldn’t kill the demon unless I unleashed it, unrestrained and unrepressed. I steeled myself for my final battle.

07-10-2001, 04:05 PM
Melvin:squeeking paramite

: Bottom
: 879
Melvin:squeeking paramite  (12)

Good,Rettick! very good... like it alot! always have... YAY! fragments is great Rett. keep up the good work!
(grr... MSN isn't working for me...)
07-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

second to last post...

CHAPTER 33

The Magog Cartel has always been extremely good at punishments. The Glukkons have always treated the Vykkers’ latest devices with extreme relish. You could say they have a flare for it. A morbid talent. They even make their own improvements to the Vykker-designed torture racks on occasion, when the originals are judged to be not painful enough, or causing death too quickly. It was two such racks that me and Yan were now affixed to. There was a lot of activity around us, but I blocked it out as best I could, trying my hardest to release the part of me that could save us, even if it meant surrendering to the darkness within me.

My body went numb, as it usually did. Unlike usual, however, I did not launch straight into the attack. I listened to the seemingly far-away activity, and felt what was happening to me, and judged when the moment would come. This kind of cooperation between my rational conscious mind and the irrational killer that was the Other part of me was unheard-of, but could hardly be a bad thing.

I struck. A slig was strapping one of my arms down, while an intern was fitting the pain enhancers to my skull. I swung my arm, catching the slig across the face. At the same time, I pushed my head up fast, headbutting the intern off-balance, while I tore away the straps on my other limbs. As the slig raised his fist, I tore the pain enhancers from my head and, as I caught his fist, I applied them to his head, turning the gain up to full. I punched him lightly, and the immense pain fried his brain. Unfortunately, this drew the attention of the pair who were engaged with Yan, as well as the pair of guards at the door, who readied their weapons. The Glukkon supervisor squinted in our direction.

“What’s goin’ on?”

I threw a scalpel with the kind of pinpoint accuracy that would never have been possible when I was in my right mind, and it embedded in the glukkon’s eye socket, causing him to go down, his screams mixing with those of the slig.

Reaching down, I snatched up a length of strap that had been tying me down, and threw it around the intern’s neck. As it struggled to remove the choking material, I swung it over my head, impaling it on a large electrical skewer, whose purpose I can only guess at. As I pressed the green button on the machine, the intern’s skin began to melt and char, and its body withered into a dry husk.

I didn’t stop to watch this, for there was a hail of bullets from the doorguards. Swinging myself off my rack, I pushed it across the floor towards the door. The guards leapt out of the way, but the poor glukkon wasn’t so fortunate, and was buried beneath a heap of torture equipment, and the exchange bought me valuable time. I ran towards Yan’s bed. The slig and intern that had been working on him fled to the safety of behind mine, where the guards were now sheltering. Hurriedly, I untied the listless Yan and overturned his bed, to use as shelter from bullets.

My mind was racing, trying to think of the best way out of this. This hadn’t happened before; I usually operated purely on instinct at this point. I hoped it was a good sign, that I was learning to control my dark side, but it didn’t help me in my immediate situation.

My eyes fell on a rack of test tubes lying on the floor where they’d been flung. I recognised several toxic gases from when I’d worked for Zell. But I couldn’t use them, because then we’d be trapped in here, blocked from the doorway by the fumes. Then I noticed one tube that had a different label to the others. I racked my brains to think what it was, and then I remembered. Kristogen. Poisonous to sligs, but not mudokons. I wasn’t sure of its effect on interns, but it was our best bet on evening the odds. I threw it over the bed, towards our tormentors. For a moment, nothing happened, but then I saw wisps of bluish gas rising towards the ceiling, and the gunfire ceased. I cautiously stood.

I saw the three sligs curled into foetal positions on the floor, convulsing. The intern was crouched among them, seemingly trying to work out how to operate one of their rifles. I ran up to the intern, snatched the rifle from it, pointing it at him. My finger squeezed the trigger, but stopped. I motioned to it to stand.

“Do you understand me?”

I reined in my dark side, trying to box it away again, but it seemed reluctant to go away, even more than before. I didn’t consider it important. I knew how to control it now, and I didn’t need to bottle it up.

The intern nodded.

“Now, you’re going to lead us to the Flyer hangar, as if you were escorting us to be tortured. If you take us there, and do not give us away, I will let you live. Okay?”

The intern’s eyes narrowed, but it nodded.

“It’s alright, Yan, you can come out.”

Yan emerged from behind the bed. “What do we do now?”

In reply, I looked at the intern, and gestured to the doorway with my rifle.

“Lead on.”

07-11-2001, 01:06 AM
BigBroSig
Fuzzle

BigBroSig  (10)

well I have to say...........YAAAAYYY!
I think you should send this in to the fan fic section of oddworld.com! I haven't seen hardly anybody on icq lately and msn messenger isn't working right now! Grrr...

07-14-2001, 12:29 PM
Silversnow
Outlaw Cutter

: Closer than you think..
: 1,046
Silversnow  (11)

Rettick, when this is done, i want more fics. This is amazing. It's as good as "Only hyoomun", or whatever it was for word. Aah, now my bloodlust have been stilled. Damn, write more.

07-15-2001, 06:36 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

and so... it ends.

CHAPTER 34

The journey to the hangar was quite uneventful in comparison to everything else that had happened over the last few days. We needn’t have worried about the intern giving us away, as we didn’t run into anyone else on the way. One possible explanation for this was that the gas from the tube had spread into the corridors, killing sligs. I seemed to remember something about it not being too healthy for glukkons either.

I was true to my word. When we reached the hangar, I allowed the intern to run away, instead of killing it. Yan and I chose a flyer to escape in, and then I told Yan to get in and wait for me. I then looked for the largest cargo flyer I could find, and went inside. I went straight to the engine room, and opened the reactor. I set the rifle’s power pack to overload, then threw it inside and made my way back to Yan in the other flyer. We got out of there as fast as we could, pausing only to watch as the reactor exploded, taking half of the building with it. I watched impassively, desensitised to the violence after all this time. I didn’t delude myself into thinking that it would put Carthag out of action totally, but I hoped that, combined with the gas problem, it would slow them down, and at the very least piss them off. Satisfied, I turned my eyes to the windscreen ahead.

Yan wanted to return to Cyrcit. I decided that enough people had died following my ideas, so I asked him to drop me off at the Frontiers, saying that I wanted to find natives. We had quite a tearful parting, as we were each other’s only friends now, but our paths led different ways, and anyway, I told him I was bad luck to be around, which he could hardly disagree with.

After Yan flew off bound for Cyrcit, I turned my attention to the ‘Wildlands’, as I’d always been taught to refer to them. Armed with as many food rations as I could carry from the flyer, I set off in search of a people to call my own.

Two months later, three of your scouts found me, emaciated and hallucinating, and brought me here, and the rest, as they say, is History.

CHAPTER 35

And now I must leave you. I’m not sure where I’ll go, but I need to sort myself out. I’ve lived a lie here for three years now, and I had to tell you, but I didn’t dare to stay and see what you thought of it. Call it Cowardice, if you like. I do.

I will probably return some day. I have no idea when. It may be tomorrow, it may be years from now, but you will see me again. I just need to find myself, as they say. I need to rid myself of my dark side. I thought for a while that I’d left it behind at Carthag, but I’ve only been burying it, just like I did when I created The Killer to take the blame. When I have found what I’m looking for, I’ll return. My heart will always be here.

Farewell,

Ulven.

07-17-2001, 04:59 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

phew! it's finally over; i have finally finished and posted a fanfic.

in response to Silver's request for more fics, i think i shall turn my attention back to Undercover Operations. After all, it was my first fic. I have begun a third, 'Time and the Dance', but i'm reluctant to post it, as it draws heavily on Mai's fic 'Tides of Odd', so i want to wait until that's finished before i post mine. Melvin's reading what i've done so far now, and if he likes it, i may post it anyway.

07-17-2001, 10:30 PM
mainard
Chippunk

: Dark Seas Oil Refinery
: 31
mainard  (10)

wow... has it been this long?

Well, guess what folks, this is Mai, as you probably already guessed. Rettick? I have almost no time to talk, but I NEED to say. congratulations. completely and in full, that's beautiful man. I envy you.

and as for the story, I swear to continue on it more but with my workload increased, it might be a while before I get anywhere with ToOdd you know? but I will try. E mail me much beans... sad_mudokon@hotmail.com if you have the time. thankzz

yay! the first finished fanfic! It's beautiful man!

07-18-2001, 10:44 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

i'm emailing you now, and it's taking a bloody long time, so you'd better read it and reply, or there will be trouble...