05-18-2006, 09:13 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
Oh, and the logic of not needing to 'shop around' because you know you've found 'the one' is flawed. Say the world was in black and white, and that's all anyone ever saw. People would find nothing wrong with only seeing that, whereas we know that they're missing out on so much, but they don't even think about it because they've never seen colour. So you say everything is fine with your relationship, but you don't know what you could be missing, if you understand me.

By the way, I'm not trying to say anything bad about your relationship with SeaRex, I just like arguing.
Ah. That's a really good analogy. Too good. I have to be careful about how I word this... It's easy to know you're with someone who's right for you by comparison to other people even if you don't actively look for another possible mate.. because if there's any attractions, they'll occur naturally. Just by knowing and having friends of the opposite sex, I have enough interaction with others to still know I'm with the right person. I'm not living in a black and white world. I can see perfectly all the "black and white" guys around me, but I've only seen one person of "color." So for the sake of the conversation (but far from what I believe), if either of us were to meet someone who would be better for us--"more colorful"--then the person would be easy to notice.

Regardless, why mess with a good thing?

EDEET: Hah, I feel the need to add this: It's not like either of us were never attracted to anyone else before we met each other. Obviously, nothing ever went anywhere with those attractions, so if anything, we were both experiencing the "black and white world" before each other and have only now found a "colorful" one. (Bwaha, sorry, I do tend to stretch out metaphors and whatnot to a great extent.)

Last edited by AquaticAmbi; 05-18-2006 at 09:22 AM..
05-18-2006, 09:33 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

I don't understand the point of putting yourself through unnecessary heartbreak, either. If you're perfectly content with your partner, then you're not missing out on anything. If you're truly happy with someone, then there is no reason to search for someone else that you will be happier with, as you've already reached your "goal," so to speak, in finding your mate. There is nothing above perfect satisfaction.

So then, if you're happy with your partner, why dispel that happiness to search for another source of love that may or may not come to fruition? And, if you do find someone that makes you just as happy or, for the sake of argument, happier, why not leave them and search for another in hopes that a newer, unknown partner will make you even happier? What would stop your from competing in a never ending cycle of constantly finding happiness, only to throw it away in a vain (and selfish) attempt to build upon that emotion? Satisfaction. Being wonderfully and ultimately content with your partner.

I understand where some of you are coming from. You're asking "What if?" in relation to these things. It's human nature. Dostoyevsky did say that Man will seek out his most advantageous advantage. But there lies my point. If you've found your most advantageous advantage, why bother looking for anything else?

I honestly don't feel that I'm missing out on anything.
05-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

I'm glad you liked my analogy, Ambi, I rarely do them.

You're both saying the chance is always there that you could find someone even more suited to you, then who is your 'soulmate'?
05-20-2006, 08:18 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

Heh, I only argued about the chance of a better mate for the sake of discussion. I don't actually believe there's someone else better suited for me out there. You're not the only one who just likes arguments.

05-20-2006, 08:48 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
You're both saying the chance is always there that you could find someone even more suited to you, then who is your 'soulmate'?
Actually, I was saying that you guys were saying that.

I was using the situation hypothetically.
05-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

I'm done with this discussion, I was done with it the minute I saw it. And I'm hhhhhungry!
05-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Mutual Friend
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2006
: England
: 1,008
Mutual Friend  (41)

:
I'm glad you liked my analogy, Ambi, I rarely do them.
You should do more, you have a real talent for them!!
05-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

: Mar 2006
: pootown
: 248
Slig_Cake  (10)

Indeed.

I agree with having a relationship, I think if she's a top chick then go for it. But the trouble with some guys is that they have the idea that if they keep liking someone, and wearing their heart on their sleeve about it that they'll end up falling for them. Dosn't work that way and you're only goin to waste your time with it.

(Growing a mullet in support of the Socceroos)

05-21-2006, 06:54 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

The moral of this story: True love conquers all, including SAM!

05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Abecrazy
Bolamite

: May 2006
: St Paul MN
: 53
Abecrazy  (10)

Afraid I'll have to agree with the girls on this one.

I never believed in Soul mates either but I found mine AND I wasn't even looking.

Just for the record he lives 4,000 miles away in England and we managed to meet. When there is a person out there destined for you...you will find each other.

Call me crazy if you want but I believe in soul mates.

05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

I'm not a girl.

Confusing avatar, though. Easy mistake.
05-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

No, it is a preposterous concept.
Love is a chemical firing in your brain, an evolutionary healthy delusion/psychosis. "Love" is using people in a symbiotic relationship. Thats all it is.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

05-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

we evolved to root eachother. Love is just a fantasy idea developed by society to keep people in monogamous relationships

05-22-2006, 06:10 PM
tentacle_orgy
Thudslug

: Feb 2005
: Dreamscape
: 169
tentacle_orgy  (10)

Well, I don't believe in a predestined fate. But I do believe that our experiences in the past make who we are today.
Example: My girlfriend is the love of my life. I would never have met her if my father had made better choices. If he wouldn't have been a horrible father, and a drunk, then he most likely would have never beat me. Then I would've not needed to leave his home and be placed into my aunt and uncle's home in a new town. If I had not moved to this new town, I would not have gone to the school that i used to go to. If I had not gone there, I would not have met my girlfriend.
So, even though I don't believe in any sort of divine plan, I do believe that those things happened for a reason, and that reason is so that I could be together with her...
°`°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°` °`°
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,
ø¤º°`°º¤ø
º°`°º

05-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

:
The moral of this story: True love conquers all, including SAM!
I'LL SEE YOU DEAD!

I could have kept going, but I don't have any experience to back myself up, so I would have backed myself into a corner instead.
05-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Slig_Cake
Boombat

Slig_Cake  (10)

Good grief, I've heard enough.

(leaves the topic)

05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Abecrazy
Bolamite

: May 2006
: St Paul MN
: 53
Abecrazy  (10)

:
I'm not a girl.

Confusing avatar, though. Easy mistake.

Sorry. LOL

Same happened to me.

:
Ah. That's a really good analogy. Too good. I have to be careful about how I word this... It's easy to know you're with someone who's right for you by comparison to other people even if you don't actively look for another possible mate.. because if there's any attractions, they'll occur naturally. Just by knowing and having friends of the opposite sex, I have enough interaction with others to still know I'm with the right person. I'm not living in a black and white world. I can see perfectly all the "black and white" guys around me, but I've only seen one person of "color." So for the sake of the conversation (but far from what I believe), if either of us were to meet someone who would be better for us--"more colorful"--then the person would be easy to notice.

Regardless, why mess with a good thing?

EDEET: Hah, I feel the need to add this: It's not like either of us were never attracted to anyone else before we met each other. Obviously, nothing ever went anywhere with those attractions, so if anything, we were both experiencing the "black and white world" before each other and have only now found a "colorful" one. (Bwaha, sorry, I do tend to stretch out metaphors and whatnot to a great extent.)
Very eloquently put!

05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

: Jan 2005
: Lost in Space
: 818
Gretin  (167)Gretin  (167)

:
Afraid I'll have to agree with the girls on this one.

I never believed in Soul mates either but I found mine AND I wasn't even looking.

Just for the record he lives 4,000 miles away in England and we managed to meet. When there is a person out there destined for you...you will find each other.

Call me crazy if you want but I believe in soul mates.
Heh, well, as I think I said earlier in this thread, I think you have more chance of finding them if you're not actively looking. If you are actively looking there's often the chance you'll either look so hard you don't see them (ever notice how often that happens with ordinary things too? You're looking so hard for it and it's right in front of you!) or you might go for someone who isn't really suitable because you're looking so hard you just end up seeing what you want to see in someone. I'm probably not making sense, but gah, whatever...
I myself don't have a girlfriend as such, but there is someone, someone I "found without looking," we're just taking it slow.
But back to the main title of this topic, I think my belief about soulmates was pretty well summed up in Searex's words:
:

Quote: Originally Posted by AquaticAmbi
When you find someone who you see yourself with forever and feel no need to "shop around" anymore, then you're set.

I am inclined to agree. If you're perfectly content with the person you have, then there is absolutely no reason to look around for anyone else. That's what you would call a "soulmate," or whatever.

I've always thought that "soulmate" was kind of a cheesy word, though.