Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

03-14-2015, 02:43 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

The last part of Exoddus with the Zulags was strange. Some bits were quite hard to figure out at first (broken well that acts like a ledge, not a well). Then the last few ones are just linear interconnecting levels rather than in hubs like the first few. I do like playing around with glukkons though. I still wish they had more emphasis on longer slig levels... RIP Sligstorm.

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

03-14-2015, 05:34 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

So Nepsotic, what do you have to say about AE ? I'm still waiting.
03-14-2015, 05:43 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

plz no

03-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

:
So Nepsotic, what do you have to say about AE ? I'm still waiting.
You're waiting for little old me?~

03-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

I'm just curious to hear about criticisms of AE.
03-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

Don’t encourage him.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

03-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

: Dec 2013
: Among the unmade music
: 1,086
Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)

Actually, I don't know this either and would like to know.

Xorlidyr: The tidal waves clean our sins.

My Steam: spiderqueen ;Oddio is the best pun

03-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

: Sep 2008
: Rock bottom
: 4,911
Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

Ouch, right in my faith in humanity.
03-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

I know, it grew so much it hurts.

Come on, Nep. We are waiting.
03-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Okay, that's enough Nep bashing.

Nep: Feel free to post your opinions in a non-inflammatory manner, and I can guarantee at threat of infraction that no-one will do anything more than politely disagree. Or don't post anything. Up to you.

Everyone else: Shut up about Nep.

03-15-2015, 02:08 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

The problem I have with Abe's Exoddus is not explicitly to do with the length of the game, but the length of the areas. For example, the Necrum Mines section is at least 3x as long as the first RF sequence from Oddysee, which would be fine if it was kept interesting, but it wasn't, and the gameplay would become boring very quickly until you reach the next segment.
I mean, can't everyone agree that as awesome as the Brewery is, they could have cut its length in half and it would have been much better? I guess then it would be even more obvious that it's just the Rupture Farms finale from Oddysee, but timestretched.

The Scrab and Paramite sections feel forced and shoehorned in, because Oddworld so we need Paramite and Scrab sections. They didn't have to do the exact same thing again, they could have done something new. I know they were on a tight deadline, but they managed to add lots of other new stuff so there was no excuse for them to copypaste that exact segment and add nothing new except slapping fucking ghost locks.

This leads me onto my biggest issue with the game: it's just Oddysee again. Sure, they add new gameplay elements every now and again to keep it (somewhat) fresh but you can't argue that AE is just a more polished Oddysee. Note the fact that when I say polish I'm referring to it in a purely technical manner. The gameplay improvements like being able to move a platform while looking in either direction and being able to talk to multiple Mudokons at once were all welcome changes which would have made AO much better, but it follows the exact same structure as the first and the timestretching is really obvious, and really grating.
Oddysee is short and sweet. It doesn't continuously introduce new gameplay mechanics as frequently as AE does, but that's because it doesn't need to do that in order to keep the gameplay from becoming stale, something AE fails at (it's like Abe's Exoddus is trying to keep a child entertained by showing it new toys and tricks every two seconds, but they're all uninteresting and the baby just liked the key-jingling it was doing before). Mainly because we saw the exact same thing done a year earlier and then it was fresh, fun and interesting enough to keep us entertained for a couple of hours. How did AE think it could do the same thing while making it nearly 3 times as long and not adding anything substantial?

AE is a great game, and it looks stunning. I'm not sure if I prefer its visuals to AO's, but it certainly is something to look at. I love them both, and from a technical standpoint AE probably stands up better, but from an artistic standpoint AO vastly outperforms it, though I guess you could say that's purely subjective. I just think AE's flaws stump it from being the sequel they wanted it to be, and had it been shorter it would have been much better.

Tl;dr: Game's fucking boring as shit I already played Oddysee don't need a fuckin nother one mate!

03-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

I don't think any of us are under the impression that Exoddus is more than Oddysee 1.5. I mean OWI were always clear that this was a bonus game rather than the next installment.

The biggest issue I can think of with Exoddus is it's story. It's a retread of Oddysee plotwise without the Quintological significance (great word eh? ). BUT this time around OWI decided to flesh out the characters, define their personalities, and actually write a pretty good script. This, in my opinion, trumps the fact that Exoddus doesn't take the series to new places. And compared to Munch - which was supposed to take the story somewhere new - you can see how Exoddus succeeds in telling it's retread of a story.

:
The problem I have with Abe's Exoddus is not explicitly to do with the length of the game, but the length of the areas. For example, the Necrum Mines section is at least 3x as long as the first RF sequence from Oddysee, which would be fine if it was kept interesting, but it wasn't, and the gameplay would become boring very quickly until you reach the next segment.
I mean, can't everyone agree that as awesome as the Brewery is, they could have cut its length in half and it would have been much better? I guess then it would be even more obvious that it's just the Rupture Farms finale from Oddysee, but timestretched.
I can not agree. Maybe the hub structure of the entire game feels a little played out for some but I've played the game so much I can't remember if I thought this initially (I certainly don't now). The more puzzles the merrier... the puzzles...

I personally don't think the Brewery overstays its welcome at all - and the variety in puzzles keeps things paced well. And the Brewery is comparable to Zulags 2-4 of Rupture Farms. Not the final level. Similarly the Necrum Mines isn't too long either and it introduces new concepts as a good pace - how the game works, blind Mudokons, flying Sligs, Mine cars.

:
The Scrab and Paramite sections feel forced and shoehorned in, because Oddworld so we need Paramite and Scrab sections. They didn't have to do the exact same thing again, they could have done something new. I know they were on a tight deadline, but they managed to add lots of other new stuff so there was no excuse for them to copypaste that exact segment and add nothing new except slapping fucking ghost locks.
And possessing the creatures. Which stopped those areas feeling like a complete redundant retread. The most obvious example of sequelitis but I think they hold up gameplaywise.

:
This leads me onto my biggest issue with the game: it's just Oddysee again. Sure, they add new gameplay elements every now and again to keep it (somewhat) fresh but you can't argue that AE is just a more polished Oddysee. Note the fact that when I say polish I'm referring to it in a purely technical manner. The gameplay improvements like being able to move a platform while looking in either direction and being able to talk to multiple Mudokons at once were all welcome changes which would have made AO much better, but it follows the exact same structure as the first and the timestretching is really obvious, and really grating.
Oddysee is short and sweet. It doesn't continuously introduce new gameplay mechanics as frequently as AE does, but that's because it doesn't need to do that in order to keep the gameplay from becoming stale, something AE fails at (it's like Abe's Exoddus is trying to keep a child entertained by showing it new toys and tricks every two seconds, but they're all uninteresting and the baby just liked the key-jingling it was doing before). Mainly because we saw the exact same thing done a year earlier and then it was fresh, fun and interesting enough to keep us entertained for a couple of hours. How did AE think it could do the same thing while making it nearly 3 times as long and not adding anything substantial?

AE is a great game, and it looks stunning. I'm not sure if I prefer its visuals to AO's, but it certainly is something to look at. I love them both, and from a technical standpoint AE probably stands up better, but from an artistic standpoint AO vastly outperforms it, though I guess you could say that's purely subjective. I just think AE's flaws stump it from being the sequel they wanted it to be, and had it been shorter it would have been much better.

Tl;dr: Game's fucking boring as shit I already played Oddysee don't need a fuckin nother one mate!
See man, completely wrong. I mean, technically, your first paragraph is what AE is. Not a proper innovative sequel.

But the new concepts aren't uninteresting. Blind Mudokons, Flying Sligs, posessing Scrabs n Paramites, Greeters, Glukkon puzzles all work very well. The game's not actually as long as you think it is (if AO is like 3-4 hours long AE isn't 9-12 hours long) which, personally, stops every area from overstaying its welcome. The art direction in the industrial envrionments are a lot better than in Rupture Farms. They're not as pixelated and there's a lot more visual variety between screens throughout (except the Bonewerkz - it kind of sucks a bit).

This is like Arkham Origins to Arkham City. But where Origins sort of just expanded things without really bringing new design with it - and thus feeling like an unnecessary retread for some - Exoddus did bring it both on the story front and the gameplay front. Which stops it from feeling like the unnecessary sequel no one wanted. But more like the game we wish Oddysee was.

I know I prefer some of Oddysee's more mysterious atmosphere - and at its core the journey of Abe has more weight to it. But Exoddus really holds it own and trumps the original in many respects.
03-15-2015, 02:57 AM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

The mines are long and tedious to play now, but the first time it was a good tutorial and I didn't mind the length at all.

On the whole Holy Sock makes pretty good points. Comparing it to Batman is a bit of a stretch I think, but it's not as dull as Nep makes out either.
03-15-2015, 02:58 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

I compared it because people made similar complaints with Origins as Nep is making with Exoddus. Since Origins is essentially Arkham City 1.5.
03-15-2015, 03:16 AM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)

I'm with nep on almost every point. I didn't feel the mines dragged out at all though.

03-15-2015, 03:33 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
I don't think any of us are under the impression that Exoddus is more than Oddysee 1.5. I mean OWI were always clear that this was a bonus game rather than the next installment.
OWI are always throwing around meaningless words, AE is still a sequel.
:
The biggest issue I can think of with Exoddus is it's story. It's a retread of Oddysee plotwise without the Quintological significance (great word eh? ). BUT this time around OWI decided to flesh out the characters, define their personalities, and actually write a pretty good script. This, in my opinion, trumps the fact that Exoddus doesn't take the series to new places. And compared to Munch - which was supposed to take the story somewhere new - you can see how Exoddus succeeds in telling it's retread of a story.
I would agree with this, but in a game where story takes a backseat (and like it or not, it does), this isn't very significant. My points were about the gameplay.

:
I can not agree. Maybe the hub structure of the entire game feels a little played out for some but I've played the game so much I can't remember if I thought this initially (I certainly don't now). The more puzzles the merrier... the puzzles...
The more, of the same, puzzles, the merrier of the same puzzles?
:
I personally don't think the Brewery overstays its welcome at all - and the variety in puzzles keeps things paced well. And the Brewery is comparable to Zulags 2-4 of Rupture Farms. Not the final level.
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I also don't think that the small variety in puzzles is enough to trump the fact that everything else is basically the same, and that's a good solid 1 and a half hours for a new player.

:
Similarly the Necrum Mines isn't too long either and it introduces new concepts as a good pace - how the game works, blind Mudokons, flying Sligs, Mine cars.
Ah, I knew this would be somebody's trump card. "But they added new concepts and new mechanics! Flying Sligs, Greeters and Mine Cars, oh my!"
Here the issue is not with the concepts but how they function as gameplay elements. They're fun for a while after they're introduced but quickly become the norm, and you realise that they aren't different or interesting enough to stay fresh, as the mechanics from the original did. In some cases, it's the opposite. Look at how many times we use Mine Cars. What, 3 times? They could have implemented them more in clever ways but they chose not to.
With Fleeches it's the opposite. They're used too much and quickly become infuriating, they're essentially just the bees from AO except you can kill them. I never liked them anyway so that's probably entirely subjective.

:
And possessing the creatures. Which stopped those areas feeling like a complete redundant retread. The most obvious example of sequelitis but I think they hold up gameplaywise.
Yes, and this would be fine if it weren't for the fact that everything else is exactly the same. You go to a Paramite area in the wild, then you go to a Scrab area in the wild. Of course those are very vague ways of putting it, but you get what I mean. They could have done more interesting things with these creatures and the new mechanics they brought to them, like having more sections with them in industrial areas spread throughout the game as opposed to having dedicated segments for them. I think not only would it flow much better, but it wouldnt get stale nearly as fast. And hey, haven't you always wanted to see what happens when Paramites and Scrabs meet?

:
See man, completely wrong. I mean, technically, your first paragraph is what AE is. Not a proper innovative sequel.

But the new concepts aren't uninteresting.
I never said they were.
:
Blind Mudokons, Flying Sligs, posessing Scrabs n Paramites, Greeters, Glukkon puzzles all work very well. The game's not actually as long as you think it is (if AO is like 3-4 hours long AE isn't 9-12 hours long) which, personally, stops every area from overstaying its welcome.
For a first-time player who took 4 hours to beat Oddysee, I'd say it would take them at least 6-8 hours to beat Exoddus.
Not all areas overstay their welcome. I very much enjoy disk 2 up to the Brewery. It had what, 20-something Zulags? And that's not overstaying it's welcome?

:
The art direction in the industrial envrionments are a lot better than in Rupture Farms. They're not as pixelated and there's a lot more visual variety between screens throughout (except the Bonewerkz - it kind of sucks a bit).
I partly agree with this, AE definitely is more detailed, though I enjoy the more isolated feel Oddysee has.
Oddly, I disagree with your point about Bonewerkz. I love the grim tone it has. Very much like AO, except more like a Victorian-era factory. It's probably one of my favourite looking areas.
:
This is like Arkham Origins to Arkham City. But where Origins sort of just expanded things without really bringing new design with it - and thus feeling like an unnecessary retread for some - Exoddus did bring it both on the story front and the gameplay front. Which stops it from feeling like the unnecessary sequel no one wanted. But more like the game we wish Oddysee was.
This is precisely my problem with Exoddus, though. It's the game OWI wanted to make first. So they remade it and added the bits they left out in the first one. The small improvements made to the actual gameplay are trivial when you compare the two games, because in my opinion if Oddysee had those improvements it would be a perfect game. Abe's Exoddus has them, but it's almost like a 1 step forward, 2 steps back scenario.

:
I know I prefer some of Oddysee's more mysterious atmosphere - and at its core the journey of Abe has more weight to it. But Exoddus really holds it own and trumps the original in many respects.
AO's atmosphere was unlike anything else at the time, which is why it saddens me that AE went with a completely different approach. The result is that, AE is more dated and AO is timeless. I guess that's my conclusion.

Last edited by Nepsotic; 03-15-2015 at 03:41 AM..
03-15-2015, 03:54 AM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

I took his comment to mean that Bonewerkz sucked for art variety, which I think is a fair call.
03-15-2015, 06:04 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

:
OWI are always throwing around meaningless words, AE is still a sequel.

I would agree with this, but in a game where story takes a backseat (and like it or not, it does), this isn't very significant. My points were about the gameplay.
I was just expressing my own opinion about the game there. And the story of Oddworld pretty much defines these games. Gameplay is obviously more important - it's a puzzle platformer - but the story be riding shotgun!

:
The more, of the same, puzzles, the merrier of the same puzzles? Yes, that is what I was referring to. I also don't think that the small variety in puzzles is enough to trump the fact that everything else is basically the same, and that's a good solid 1 and a half hours for a new player.
A joke my young friend! But I do think the variety of puzzles kept AE interesting. Reading your counterargument this is going to boil down to - you found this uninteresting or tedious - I didn't. Unless we really scrutinise each level I don't think it's going to progress much further - unless someone else weighs in with a good analysis of game structure, pacing and mechanics.

:
Ah, I knew this would be somebody's trump card. "But they added new concepts and new mechanics! Flying Sligs, Greeters and Mine Cars, oh my!"
Here the issue is not with the concepts but how they function as gameplay elements. They're fun for a while after they're introduced but quickly become the norm, and you realise that they aren't different or interesting enough to stay fresh, as the mechanics from the original did. In some cases, it's the opposite. Look at how many times we use Mine Cars. What, 3 times? They could have implemented them more in clever ways but they chose not to.
With Fleeches it's the opposite. They're used too much and quickly become infuriating, they're essentially just the bees from AO except you can kill them. I never liked them anyway so that's probably entirely subjective.
But what if I think they are? The cool thing about AE is that it introduces new elements but it doesn't overplay each one. The mine car is used in the Necrum Mines - and it's fun. Trying not to run over your Mudokon pals is interesting. But it isn't overplayed. And I don't think you could get much interesting mileage out of it beyond what was already in the game. Trying to get from point A to point B but getting out to solve a puzzle so you can move forward.

Blind Mudokons add a cool element in the beginning. Flying Sligs are introduced and Slying Sligs centric puzzles are used in Disc 2 - but not enough to become bland. A whole section of the game is used for fleech puzzles (which I like because they were tense) and Scrab and Paramite possession - but it's not exploited. Fart possession becomes a feature in FeeCo but I don't feel it's overplayed. Slig centric puzzles then become much more important. Greeters add an element of unpredictability but they're not overused in disc 2. And Glukkon puzzles are saved for the Brewery and "boss" levels.

I don't think any of these are overplayed features and the ones that are dropped early (sans the car) are used in secret areas in the latter parts of the game. As I said above this is just going to boil down to opposite opinions with the same evidence. The only concept that I feel was underused were the crying Mudokons and healing Sick Mudokons from brew/torture.

:
Yes, and this would be fine if it weren't for the fact that everything else is exactly the same. You go to a Paramite area in the wild, then you go to a Scrab area in the wild. Of course those are very vague ways of putting it, but you get what I mean. They could have done more interesting things with these creatures and the new mechanics they brought to them, like having more sections with them in industrial areas spread throughout the game as opposed to having dedicated segments for them. I think not only would it flow much better, but it wouldnt get stale nearly as fast. And hey, haven't you always wanted to see what happens when Paramites and Scrabs meet?
Sure. They could have. And it could have been more interesting. But, as the game stands, there's enough going for those posession puzzles that they hold up to replays and create new, interesting puzzles, with these creatures. It could have been more - but it's it still is more than a retread of Oddysee puzzles.

:
I never said they were.
"Oddysee is short and sweet. It doesn't continuously introduce new gameplay mechanics as frequently as AE does, but that's because it doesn't need to do that in order to keep the gameplay from becoming stale, something AE fails at (it's like Abe's Exoddus is trying to keep a child entertained by showing it new toys and tricks every two seconds, but they're all uninteresting and the baby just liked the key-jingling it was doing before)."

That's where I derived that from. But I suppose implementation is different than concept. So my mistake there.

:
For a first-time player who took 4 hours to beat Oddysee, I'd say it would take them at least 6-8 hours to beat Exoddus.
Not all areas overstay their welcome. I very much enjoy disk 2 up to the Brewery. It had what, 20-something Zulags? And that's not overstaying it's welcome?
Not for me. It felt like the finale of the game. Enough puzzles to cover almost everything you learned before. But not too much to get sick of it. It worked for me.

:
I partly agree with this, AE definitely is more detailed, though I enjoy the more isolated feel Oddysee has.
Oddly, I disagree with your point about Bonewerkz. I love the grim tone it has. Very much like AO, except more like a Victorian-era factory. It's probably one of my favourite looking areas.
There's just a real lack of variety. Plus I'm not a fan of the actual levels there. Although I like Phleg's KILLEMKILLEMKILLEMKILLEMKILLEMKILLEM puzzle.

:
This is precisely my problem with Exoddus, though. It's the game OWI wanted to make first. So they remade it and added the bits they left out in the first one. The small improvements made to the actual gameplay are trivial when you compare the two games, because in my opinion if Oddysee had those improvements it would be a perfect game. Abe's Exoddus has them, but it's almost like a 1 step forward, 2 steps back scenario.

AO's atmosphere was unlike anything else at the time, which is why it saddens me that AE went with a completely different approach. The result is that, AE is more dated and AO is timeless. I guess that's my conclusion.
Gotta disagree. Exoddus didn't go with a completely different approach at all. It all comes back to the plot - which is why I mentioned it first. Oddysee is all about the journey of a slave discovering his true power then overthrowing the powers that be. Which creates its own sense of mystery and discovery. Exoddus is really just an extension of that final act. But I think it tells it very well. Well enough that the weaker narrative significantly elevated and we get a much better sense of the world Abe inhabits.

And the fact that I really like Exoddus' story, and it's gameplay improvements over the original, is why I still replay it over the original.

Your problems with Exoddus simply being a bonus game rather than a proper sequel are not ones I share. Comparing what it could have been to what it actually is: Exoddus is still a great game - and holds up against the original. Not something you can so with Munch for instance.
03-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Fischkopf
Fuzzle

: Nov 2009
: Germany
: 149
Fischkopf  (87)

No, I don't think it drags. I've had (and still do) fun the whole time playing through it.
03-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

Exoddus is beautiful. For the exact reasons you don't like it.

I wanted more Abe, I got more Abe. It wasn't the exact same, but the building blocks of what made the puzzles so great in Oddysee were the same or similar. Good I liked those fundamental building blocks, and loved to see them played out in every configuration.

I'll have to play it again to get a fresh feel though, because as a kid, I had patience for anything, and loved every damn second of that game, so whether it "dragged" or not mattered very little to me, as I had no concept of the idea.

03-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

:
because as a kid, I had patience for anything
Lovely but,

we're not kids anymore. As a kid, AE was fine, I played that thing on my PSP for a while with the awkward controls even. But I'm not a kid and I can't have the same feeling playing AE that I did as a kid. I'm not judged AE from my childhood eyes, I'm judging it from my current state of mind.

03-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

Yup, glad we can agree.

03-17-2015, 01:07 AM
New 'n' Tasty
Stunk

: Sep 2014
: New Zealand
: 38
New 'n' Tasty  (10)

i like how its so big makes it 100% better than AO
03-17-2015, 02:14 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

No correlation. I'm insanely huge right now and 7000% better than AO.

03-17-2015, 03:10 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

Oh there's definitely correlation, but causation? That's where we seem to have the largest (and bestest) disagreement.

03-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

The only thing that surprises me about AE, playing it now, is how short the game is compared to how expansive it felt when I was younger. It still plays great. AO, for me, is the game where I have to look past the bullshit save system and the lack of "All o' ya" to enjoy it.
03-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

: Jan 2006
: England
: 4,829
Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)

Unfortunately I am still unable to take my nostalgia goggles off for these games so I'm a terrible judge. I agree with Abeguy though. WE GOT MORE ABE MATE!
03-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

: Jun 2007
: MilkyWay
: 1,535
Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)

I found the scrab/paramite vaults to be a bit of a drag/filler and rehash of AO. Only bonus was that they could now be possessed so it mixed up the gameplay and puzzles a little more.

Crawling sligs will shout "Mommy!" while running around and then the slig mommy will appear and help them put their pants on.

03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Bixer
Bolamite

: Jul 2007
: London
: 50
Bixer  (21)

Am I wrong in saying the last few hours of the game are basically just 'complete these 4 doors to unlock this one' then 'complete these 4 more doors to unlock this one' then 'think you're done? Don't think so m8, complete these 4 doors to unlock this one'.

This is my first ever playthrough of Abe's Exoddus, as a 24 year old. Perhaps I'm not lucky enough to be able to overlook some of its flaws due to nostalgia like a lot of people, but truthfully I've been a bit bored for a while now and it's gotten to the stage where I'm trying to complete it just because I feel like I might as well now, considering how far I've come.

Ultimately it's Oddysee part 2, like a lot of people are saying, therefore it simply cannot be a bad game. It is however very, very apparent to me that they had a tight deadline for this game and didn't spend half as much time on it as they should've.

Abe's Oddysee is Dark Side of the Moon. Arguably perfect, it'll never outstay its welcome. Abe's Exoddus is The Wall. Fantastic, for sure, but you need to be in a certain mood to see it out all the way. A mood which you just don't often find yourself in quite as much.

These are, of course, just my two cents.

03-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

: Sep 2014
: Australia
: 795
Shade667  (196)Shade667  (196)

Having never played exxodus, I think itd be really cool to see how they handle the remake after what all u guys have said. Personally, I cant wait.
Patience is a virtue.