Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

05-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

: May 2003
: I have left
: 251
Reese Charles  (10)

Oddipus: You might try turning the volume up or making sure your speakers are plugged in properly. Assuming you have done this already, you may be trying to play the music in "hi-fi". Hi-fi play is for broadband only, and if you have 56k dialup connection then you will hear nothing.

Other than that, the music has played fine for everybody else, so you cold require an upgraded sound card or sound card driver, as you may be unable to play mp3s.

Thats all that I can think of that would be wrong, I will check the link and see if the music still plays. If it does then I will edit this post.

Reese

EDIT: The music still works fine.

Last edited by Reese Charles; 05-07-2003 at 05:58 PM..
05-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Unfortunately Oddipus, the way that the music website works there is that the actual file you download is a connection to that server, which then feeds the music to your computer.

So you can't actually save the files Even selecting "Save Target As" will not have an affect as it will too only save the link.

Also, on topic, could their possibly be another type of Mudokon? You know, in addition to the Blind, Depressed, Wired, Drunk/Sick etc? That'd be cool.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

:
Also, on topic, could their possibly be another type of Mudokon? You know, in addition to the Blind, Depressed, Wired, Drunk/Sick etc? That'd be cool.
Thanks alcar, thats a good idea, I will give that some thought and come up with some ideas and maybe some sketches.

Here is the artwork as promised, as I can only upload 1 jpg at a time, I will have to wait for some comments on this one before I can post the others.

This is the design/concept for the train and freight cars.

Njoy

Reese

This eyecandy is copyrighted BTW, so you have to ask before you can use it on websites etc.

EDIT: How about deaf mudokons that you have to tap? Or shortsighted ones that you have to lead to a glasses vending machine or something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	concept_train.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	32.3 
ID:	735  

Last edited by Reese Charles; 05-07-2003 at 08:01 PM..
05-08-2003, 04:07 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

That train looks superb! Is it meant to resemble any new creatures you are adding? (Just asking because the FeeCo Train represent Glukkon Heads and the Vykkers Labs docks represent Vykker Heads)

About the no double posting, if you are uploading multiple attachments it is fine to double post, triple post etc. Until vBulletin 3 comes out, we can't have multiple attachments.

Oooo, both those new Mudokons type sound interesting! And a new Vendo Machine, even better!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-08-2003, 04:11 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Thanks Alcar!

Yes, the train is supposed to represent the face mask of the slig (thats what it was inspired by). Ok, I will double post for the next two attachments, thanks for telling me...

This image is a closeup of the front of the train, The next one is a closeup of the maticulous detail for the engine.

Reese
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concept_train_closeup.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	38.4 
ID:	736  
05-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

*waits 30 seconds*

Here are the engines:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concept_train_engines.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	36.3 
ID:	737  
05-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Apr 2001
: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

:
Originally posted by Reese Charles
Oddipus: You might try turning the volume up or making sure your speakers are plugged in properly. Assuming you have done this already, you may be trying to play the music in "hi-fi". Hi-fi play is for broadband only, and if you have 56k dialup connection then you will hear nothing.

Other than that, the music has played fine for everybody else, so you cold require an upgraded sound card or sound card driver, as you may be unable to play mp3s.
I'm no dummy you know .

Volume up? Check
Speakers connected? Check
Play in hifi? Check
Cable connection plugged? Check
Sound card and drivers ok? (***Plays a song in win-amp***) Check

Really don't know what's wrong. Strange

Back on topic
* The train looks really fantastic. Great eye for detail. Fun to see the little slig next to it.
* I too would like too see mudokons with new emotions/abilities. Can you make the Muds climb like the intro of Necrum Mines?

05-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

Oddipus  (38)

YEAH! I copy pasted the url of the audio-stream in windows media player (open url) and it worked!

It sounds great! The point were you here the train the most might be changed a little. I would like to hear the train a little harder, and the ambient a little less at that time. But the overall sound of it is really creating a good atmosphere.

05-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Seargentbig
Sleg

: Apr 2003
: Australia
: 683
Seargentbig  (10)

Great Train, it looks like it might be an older model.
New muds? umm...
Mutant Mudokons? Altered by Vykkers, maybe.

05-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Yes, now theres an idea "modded muds". Perhaps mudoken armour? Thanks for the feedback on the train, I am currently trying to upload a sketch of a paramonian lake and pump screen, but its too big to fit. The music for the train FMV might change, but right now it does the job. I didn't want to make the train too intense, because I want the whole theme to roll smoothly. Picture this: Train accellerating out of its station, the camera follows it from a stationary position (like a security camera), once the train has gone beyond being audible, you just get the ambient music, a train fading off into the distance, and a seen of dynamic landscape and skies.
05-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Double post, sorry but this is for the concept sketch of the Paramonian lakes. Alcar & Abe Babe, you might like this one. I cut this down so it would fit, but I only cut out the white bits with no image on it, but that was what I was going to do anyway.

Paramonian Lakes: Idustry meets Forest, its metallic grasp clutches lush woodland and dynamic waterfalls. Yep, waterfalls in oddworld! How fresh and new yet in a style that could only be Oddworld! How do I do it?

A nice sketch that took me about a minute to do, and I am quite pleased with the result! Mmm, I fancy a burger. (Don't ask!)

Njoy!

Reese
05-08-2003, 07:30 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Might help if I actually make the attatchment aswell, lol! Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concept_paramonia_screen1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	94.3 
ID:	738  
05-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Seargentbig
Sleg

: Apr 2003
: Australia
: 683
Seargentbig  (10)

And I thought I was bad!
Do you ever leave the computer?

05-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

No, I wish to make a MASSIVE contribution to this excellent forum. All the mods here have earned some good deeds from me for settling my little "argument" the other day.

Reese

EDIT: Well, I do leave my computer, to go see freinds etc. But I also spend lots of time on my PC. The internet is my life source. Its my income, its my output, its my input.

Last edited by Reese Charles; 05-07-2003 at 11:52 PM..
05-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Wonderful, I've always loved the Paramonian landscapes.

And that only took you a few minutes

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

05-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

:
Originally posted by Alcar
Wonderful, I've always loved the Paramonian landscapes.

And that only took you a few minutes

Alcar...
I know! I suprised myself aswell! This is just one of the screens I am going to have to do, each one will be individually rendered on the original concept art. So I suppose its just aswell I can do these fast.

I like paramonia too, but I like industry aswell, so I guess this is a nice compramise.

Reese
05-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

OMYGOD!!! A fellow artist!!

You are so cool! I actually just looked at the train, and my jaw dropped.

That is so neat. Do you have any other Concept Art?

05-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Thanks for your input. There will certainly be more to come. The train has to involve quite alot of detail, as it needs to look good in the FMV sequences, there will be alot of other high detail drawings for you to gasp in awe at, trust me. The only problem is, more artwork means more scanning and cropping and saving etc. and that takes time. However, there will be more! As I want to make this the thread the place where I post developments for my new game in. stay tuned to this thread!

Reese

PS: Fellow artist eh? Can I see some of your work? Do you have a thread where I can find some of your stuff?
05-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Sorry, double post again! Here is the concept art I did for one of the Mudokens I will add to my game. This one is called Carmen, I don't know what he does yet, so ideas will be much appreciated...

Reese
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concept_carmen.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	11.3 
ID:	744  
05-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

Yeah, I have Art. I have lots of Art.

This is Abe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	abe.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	29.5 
ID:	761  

05-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

hehe, they look funni!

Reese

PS: Why is this thread so quiet these days?
05-14-2003, 02:03 AM
SlogMe
Chippunk

: Oddworld
: 25
SlogMe  (10)

just wondering... how are you editing levels and stuff?
05-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Shrink
Formerly Esus

: Dec 2002
: x
: 286
Shrink  (10)

That was a good idea to make your own game Reece. I can't wait to play it!
I, for one, started a game of my own. It was an rts Oddworld game but I stopped making it because of time constraints.
I got out all I had done (not much) and took a screenshot of a new type of Mudokon warrior I made. This, in the game, would have been trained at the main transformer.
The new type of Mudokon warrior was named a SpearMud, as he carries a run-of-the-mill spear, though the weapon would have changed more. It's not very good, I know, and the screenshot doesn't show quality of the game, because I had to take it on bad quality and compress to even worse quality...

The top picture is that of what you would see in-game, while playing. It is zoomed quite far out and at a nice angle. The other part of the picture shows the spearmuds up close, and at a low camera angle. Judge for yourself!

It's a shame really that you can't see his mouth or any other small details, it wasn't zoomed in enough, obviously. You also can't see the details on his "hair" very well, either, and his body isn't [w]quite[/q] right, but you decide.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spearmuds.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	56.8 
ID:	776  

Last edited by Shrink; 05-17-2003 at 12:54 AM..
05-17-2003, 12:10 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Love your concept art, Reese.

Anyway, if I were to make a game, the first thing on the agenda would be to ditch the Spooce. You know, I believe Oddworld needs to distance itself from other platformers as much as possible. Secondly, I would put in more stealth and shodows. I believe the game would need more of a spiritual element as well... I miss the giant "Run for your life!"s at the end of every temple in AO and AE.
05-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

Some very good points have been made here, I think its generally safe to say that spooce is a bad idea...

As for your screenshots, sorry buddy but I am forced to say that your modelling skills are rather poor, those dont look like mudokens.
What did you use to make this game? Was it some kind of RPG maker?
If so, I would happily have a bash at making some muds in one of my modelling programs...
I would have to leave the texturing down to you...

Shame your not doing it anymore though, sounds like it could have been good fun...

Reese
05-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

Oddipus  (38)

Hey Reese,

Can you give a list off all the things that need to be done to make/create/finish your game? Some sort of a planning. And can you tell how far you progressed yet? (Maybe you have a 'deadline' for yourself?)

06-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Monkey2000
Zappfly

: Jun 2003
: Denmark
: 7
Monkey2000  (10)

Sorry for brining this old topic up again, but is the game cancelled or is he still working on it?