02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
Always wondered, but are Jocks really the so called 'leaders' or 'elite class' of males in American schools? And are the ditzy Cheerleaders the female equivalent?

Over here, in NSW anyway, it's quite different. The 'Lads' own the School (male), and the Slutty / Bitchy chics own the female half. Have to admit I prefer it our way But only because I reside in the Lads. For further clarification for those not living over here, I guess I've basically described our Schools as being 'owned' by the British counter-part of Chavs, both male and female.

Alcar...
Yeah to a certain extent. Some facualty members at my school seem more willing to help a cheerleader/jock with something than the average student. But I think the people with well-known intelligence get a lot of needed attention too. Well-known, meaning the people who parade around their goody-two-shoesness and develop lots of close relationships with teachers and such.

02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

I do apologize for the double post, but I thought of a new question: What complexion is preferred in your countries by the majority? The US obviously desires deep tans and such. I, on the otherhand, am part of the minority that likes a fair complexion.

If your country likes the tan look, do they go as far to bake themselves in tanning beds and even ridiculousy stain their skin with tan-in-a-can nonsense?

02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Godlesswanderer
Naked & Pimping

: Dec 2004
: Essex, England
: 1,183
Godlesswanderer  (22)

I'd say stuff like that here is very much influenced by the US. Back when I was in high school the majority of 'the popular girls' were orange. In otherwirds they tried to tan themselves but it went terribly wrong .

02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

I'd say it changes with fashion. Sometimes tan is in and other times it's best to look so pale that you could have climbed out of a grave.

I think a better question is what ethnicity the people on television are, especially advertisements. I find it says a lot about a company if they're prepared to let anyone other than a caucasian promote their products.

I'd say in Oz that actors on tv are 99% caucasian and most often any minority character is only there for comedy relief. Same goes with advertising, they're mostly blonde-haired and blue-eyed. But sometimes you'll see a breakfast cereal ad with an asian kid, which is a good thing - you would never have seen that ten years ago.

02-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Nepharski
Riot Slug

: Nov 2004
: A State of Confusion
: 573
Nepharski  (10)

:
I do apologize for the double post, but I thought of a new question: What complexion is preferred in your countries by the majority? The US obviously desires deep tans and such. I, on the otherhand, am part of the minority that likes a fair complexion.

If your country likes the tan look, do they go as far to bake themselves in tanning beds and even ridiculousy stain their skin with tan-in-a-can nonsense?
Well, I'm an American, but I'm no fan of tanning either.

"Is my species of consequence to you now, Mustang? Did you really want my position that badly? Although I can appreciate the vanity of ambition, you should have spent more time planing. Even if you had somehow pulled this off, the counsil would have found you out, and they'd never let an assassin back into their fold." - Pride, FullMetal Alchemist

02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Annouka-BadCat
Chippunk

: Feb 2006
: Hartlepool, England
: 32
Annouka-BadCat  (10)

:

YES.
There is so many, I am sure there should be a 'white, British' and an 'orange, British' ticky box on forms that ask for ethnicity.
In summer the orange dies down a bit when people start getting real tans, but as soon as the last ray of sun dies away they reach for the nearest bottle of FakeTan, especially in my little soggy town of Hartlepool, where it is known to snow in march (well it did last year) and be sunny on christmas day.
I much prefer to go au naturelle.

02-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

in Idaho, Awesome center of the world. I shall try to answer the questions I can remember

What be we attracted to? well, the white skinny chicks for most of the guys at my school, the exact opposite to the chubby chasers at our school. It also depends on the persons skin color.

Who leads us? nobody, the Jocks/Preps/Sluts are the reigning majority but the punk/skater population is in second command. and the Nerds hang out in the Library playing Yu-Gi-Oh. Yes, High School and they're still arguing if either Pikachu or Charmander could kill *some random Yu-Gi-Oh monster*

the prezzies? well first of all, nobody calles them that, and I'd expect flowers and chocolates to be the most popular choice, but someone could be allergic to chocolate and/or flowers, but if not, I'd expect that to be a yes

Chicken Soup? I don't really think I've had Chicken soup for a cold. I just don't really do a thing and let it pass by, but I'm not sure about other people.

Make up, well girls wear make up just about every day, so I'd say yeah, gothic/emo guys wear eyeliner and/or black nail polish. So its not uncommon

gay guy at counter? As people said, I don't hang out around those so I don't really know.

Music guys. Not really, havn't been to much music stores, but the ones in the mall don't really have those. Hot Topic and Zumies have those people, but they don't just sell music.

I like seeing mini skirts. they hot :P but the question about the shorter thing. Its coming out of winter over here so not many girls are wearing them right now. There is also a dress code which limits the length. but I'm not sure about the shorter thing

as said, in the US, we don't say mate, but as also said, "dude" and "man" are two very important words in a US teenage males vocabulary, I should know.

I drink some coffee, but being the tallest in my family makes me proud of my height, so I don't drink that much coffee. Other people, I guess

as Used said, we do have a whole range of cultures from beach to briny beach. It what makes us UBER

thats about it

now any questions from me? hmm...
not right now

02-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Jocks and sluts and lads and cheerleaders, huh? Now that you've brought the topic up, I can fully appreciate the diversity and tolerance of my school. The people I call the Jocks are usually called the Boys - they play rugby, use head-on language and laugh like seals (at least that's how some people stereotype them), but they don't head the males. Thinking about it, I can't find much of a hierarchy in my year at least, other than the goons being at the bottom, mostly.

02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Annouka-BadCat
Chippunk

: Hartlepool, England
: 32
Annouka-BadCat  (10)

Speaking of who rules the school, I think ours is a bit different.
And I speak for my school and my school only, because I'm pretty sure it's different elsewhere.

The skaters, goths, and otherwise alternative peoples are the reigning majority. The jocks and preps (who we call trendies or townies) are second.

Did I mention it's a weird school anyway?

02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

Random question: Does "stuff" really mean the same as the forbidden eff word in Australia? According to my Spanish teacher, who provides much inspiration for this thread, it does.

02-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

I'm sorry? Are you trying to suggest that the word 'stuff' is a swearword? Ummm... no.

But casual swearing definately is not such a big deal in Oz than in other places I've been. Particularly the second-rare swearwords like bugger, damn or arse. Seriously, I've been told off for using the word 'arse' in front of 15 year-olds!

02-26-2006, 03:05 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

That's what I thought... Seems like I would have heard some concern on the forums or something if it meant that.

She just said that she and her husband ate dinner with some Australian friends, and when her husband said "I'm stuffed" when he finished, they burst out laughing. They said in Australia, that was the same as saying "I'm effed."

02-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Godlesswanderer
Naked & Pimping

: Dec 2004
: Essex, England
: 1,183
Godlesswanderer  (22)

I can see how that would work out. Think about it, if you take stuffed as in stuffing something, you use an in and out motion. As in putting the stuffing in then taking your hand out. And being effed () is more of less the same in and out motion .

Then again, it could have been a joke. Those Aussies are sly ones .

Last edited by Godlesswanderer; 02-26-2006 at 03:37 PM..
02-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

bugger and arse? wow :wow: thats different...BUGGER??? th...thats amazing

02-26-2006, 04:38 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

Go stuff yourself Abeguy. jk

02-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

lol, yeah, that is cool learning about different cultures. my friends are going to have fun with this

02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
outlaw king
Bola Blast

: The shivering isles!
: 441
outlaw king  (10)

Ive only just found out the term " bugger " means anal sex!

02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

That is sooooooooooooooooo worth quoting.

Hey, this is for you brits. Is there a lot of racial tension on your country? It seems lie in the US the entire PC society is focused on not committing a hate crime.

Last edited by used:); 02-26-2006 at 06:41 PM..
02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
outlaw king
Bola Blast

outlaw king  (10)

There can be quite a lot of racial behaviour down here in n.z , thats for sure ! some whitie idiots believe tha the maori are dirty trespassers , when it was us who brought all the maoris land of thm in the first place! tsk tsk tsk , some people are have really " boxed themselves in ! "

02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

:
cough-syrup
Heheh, heh, hehehehehehe, hehehehe, heh. Hehehe!

Don't try it, kids.

:
Are the people in music stores always into metal/punk/rock/alternative music? (I think that's a job requirement as well.)
I think that's just a common occurance. Greasy long haired people with 'Metallica' and 'Iron Maiden' pieces of cloth hanging from their nipples. On rare occasions, you see the specimens adorned with leather hide jackets, and you think to yourself: My God, what a smart monkey.

:
When greeting another male, do men call each other 'mate', whether they're friends or not?
Well, I think that's just a country thing, as Karl said. It's not exactly in very familiar use outside of farming, but it is muttered on occasion. It's almost like NZ/AUS/Britainish equivalent of 'dude'.

:
That's pretty much relevant to women between ages 13-late twenties. Sometimes it happens outrageously before and past this range of ages. There are still some women with enough dignity to leave some things to the imagination though, thankfully. Not nearly enough of them though.
Aint that the ****ing truth. Look at the recent Madonna videos, I mean damn; "Put some pants on, woman!" Leto says while the other boys hide their erections.

:
There can be quite a lot of racial behaviour down here in n.z , thats for sure ! some whitie idiots believe tha the maori are dirty trespassers , when it was us who brought all the maoris land of thm in the first place! tsk tsk tsk , some people are have really " boxed themselves in ! "
There is definatley two sides to it. The honkeys have indeed mistreated the Maori in the past, what with the wars and such, but some of the issues the bring up are silly. Privileges and such. But they can do such a thing because the government are mega pussies and have to help the 'minoritiez'.

I'm going to put it plain and simple for y'all: Everyone wants to be black. I blame this Hiphop that Gabe is so fond of, as he wants homosexual relations with 50 cent.

02-26-2006, 08:10 PM
outlaw king
Bola Blast

outlaw king  (10)

I agree with your opinion entirely .

02-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

:
She just said that she and her husband ate dinner with some Australian friends, and when her husband said "I'm stuffed" when he finished, they burst out laughing. They said in Australia, that was the same as saying "I'm effed."
Well in that context, surely it would mean stuffed as in 'very full' would it not? The other way stuffed can be used is meaning the same as broken ("Don't use that old television, it's stuffed!").

02-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

hmmm, you aussies are quite different. I find it both amusing and interesting, our cuss words are (just if anyone may find it weird) f*** a** (arse is our not so evil way of saying it) bitch has kinda become more common, Damn, though at my school, it seems all are very common, sh*t, ummm...bastard maybe. don't know

(you can guess which ones are more serious i guess from the one's with *'s)

02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Let's see, I've had to learn the hard way which words and phrases americans don't use.

Prick - an unpleasant person ("Madeline's ex is such a prick!")
Pissed - not used to mean angry except for in "pissed off" but usually used to mean drunk ("Barry was totally pissed last night")
Taking the piss - making fun of someone ("That reviewer was totally taking the piss out of American Pie 7!")

Other words that I've learnt to substitute:
torch/flashlight
serviette/napkin
rubbish/trash
Ex Why Zed/Ex Why Zee (very important when you're studying engineering)

There's more. I'll post them as I think of them.

02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

Yeah, I've always found the different slang and common phrases interesting. We do use the word prick quite often though. Hmm, one of my old friends who moved to Tennessee from California found our use of the word "buggy" for shopping cart weird.

And that makes me think of another question: Are shopping carts used often in other countries? And when you go to the grocery store or where ever (maybe a market or something), do you take your own bag to put your food in or does the store provide you with plastic/paper bags?

02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

: Apr 2005
: WYYYARRGwop...Sounds fun, huh?
: 1,625
Dark Elite_H2  (10)

:
  • Upon talking to Rich one day when he was sick, I suddenly wondered if eating chicken noodle soup was the big thing to do when one is sick in other countries like it is here. So is it?
  • Is giving flowers and chocolates to a lover common?
  • Do girls usually wear make-up everyday to school or do they only wear it on fancy occasions?
Uh...I've lived in England fer quite a while. Maybe 4 years 'fore returning to the U.S. And I've gotten soup when I was sick.
Well, actually, my Nana was british, but my grandad is American. (God rest your soul, Nana) So, I really can't tell if british give their child soup when their sick. Although, it is quite a curer from the chills, and tastes good, too.

Yes, I do believe giving flowers and chocolates are common, but british give out more chocolate than flowers, or something good 'n delicious to their lovers.

No, I don't wear makeup (this is my POV), but yes, girls love to put on so much makeup, they look like clowns from the Cellio (the clown play by Shakespeare? I believe?) On special occasions, or just becuase they wanna look prettier.

And as for the cultural differences; What good differences DO I have? I killed the Jews, fer cryin' out loud!

My arts page...check it out XP

My main page ^^

02-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

:
That is sooooooooooooooooo worth quoting.

Hey, this is for you brits. Is there a lot of racial tension on your country? It seems lie in the US the entire PC society is focused on not committing a hate crime.
Not so much "tension", but there are a lot of buried opinions that haven't really been aired since Enoch Powell. A suprisingly large number of people in the UK are racist, and teach their children racist things. This is mostly present in the older generation though (grandparents of kids today, around 10 to 18), and hasn't permeated so readily through the generations as it did 50 years ago.

Basically racism in the UK is dying out, because the majority find it distateful. The BNP is about the closest thing to racism in the UK political system, and that isn't even really racist, rather misinterpreted as racist.
02-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2005
: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
Basically racism in the UK is dying out, because the majority find it distateful. The BNP is about the closest thing to racism in the UK political system, and that isn't even really racist, rather misinterpreted as racist.
Are you living in a hole? It has not died out at all. BNP Is far from racist. Its just that they get caught saying bad things at bad times
But, Racism in the Uk is terrible.

02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

: Apr 2005
: WYYYARRGwop...Sounds fun, huh?
: 1,625
Dark Elite_H2  (10)

:
But, Racism in the Uk is terrible.
I can tell.
When I'm online, usually, when I meet brits, they don't like americans. (Even the irish! I've met a little boy who hates americans, even though he says he doesn't, I know)
I don't understand.
Was it because america beat their asses? Or is it because america is better than them?
It just hits me stupid!
What is the reason with the hate?!

My arts page...check it out XP

My main page ^^

02-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2005
: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
I can tell.
When I'm online, usually, when I meet brits, they don't like americans. (Even the irish! I've met a little boy who hates americans, even though he says he doesn't, I know)
I don't understand.
Was it because america beat their asses? Or is it because america is better than them?
It just hits me stupid!
What is the reason with the hate?!
I like Americans. I don't think i'm racist. But alot of people are, Not towards Americans, But different religions.