Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

01-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

I have to wonder how Oddworld's finance systems work. We don't know much about moolah, but it seems to be the only currency in use in Mudos - even in the Mongo Wilds. It must be backed by some kind of value, but what? We don't know enough about the economic system to guess.

If any kind of banking system exists, it's probably very poorly (if at all) regulated, so that could explain why Glukkons tend to hoard their cash. Even if it was regulated, the impression I get is that Glukkons are unscrupulous enough to hide and stockpile their earnings, probably for illicit purposes - you can bet if Oddworld has a taxation system that Glukkons will pay in as little as they possibly can.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

01-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

:
I have to wonder how Oddworld's finance systems work. We don't know much about moolah, but it seems to be the only currency in use in Mudos - even in the Mongo Wilds. It must be backed by some kind of value, but what? We don't know enough about the economic system to guess.

If any kind of banking system exists, it's probably very poorly (if at all) regulated, so that could explain why Glukkons tend to hoard their cash. Even if it was regulated, the impression I get is that Glukkons are unscrupulous enough to hide and stockpile their earnings, probably for illicit purposes - you can bet if Oddworld has a taxation system that Glukkons will pay in as little as they possibly can.

All i can gather is that moolah is inflated af. They treat 3 million like a hundred million dollars.

I also have a thought, With whatever banking system. That exsists in oddworld would it have been managed by Chroniclers? An unused concept character

Edit:

Oops I mean DE-flation! And to think I used to collect

Last edited by Gunnr; 02-01-2017 at 08:03 AM..
02-01-2017, 07:17 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2005
: Sydney, Australia
: 642
kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

:
All i can gather is that moolah is inflated af. They treat 3 million like a hundred million dollars.
Isn't that the opposite of an inflated currency?
02-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

:
Isn't that the opposite of an inflated currency?
Oh shit, I mixed that up the two words and their meaning, silly me. This is why I shouldn't be an accountant or banker

Dyslexia you did it again

Last edited by Gunnr; 02-01-2017 at 08:08 AM..
02-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

:
I'm going to shift the topic back now.

It looks like Molluck was quite a wealthy gluk, but what's the purpose of a secret vault? Surely Oddworld has banks, considering it's a consumer-driven society. If we're led to believe that this is Molluck's secret stash, i.e. moolah he didn't want the Cartel to know about, it almost seems to me like he was preparing for some cataclysmic event, especially considering the protective design of the vault.

I wonder if he was anticipating for RuptureFarms to fail prior to his New 'n' Tasty concept? Perhaps this fund is what he was going to use to flee Mudos and buy a little seaside home in the Oddworld-equivalent of the Bahamas once the debt collectors came knocking on the factory's door?
Honestly, I don't know. To stay on topic: my theory is that OWI got rid of the concept of "secret vault". I mean, why were they even sharing (in September) a few pieces of conceptual art while they're very secretive about Soulstorm (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=22316)?
02-01-2017, 08:45 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

:
Honestly, I don't know. To stay on topic: my theory is that OWI got rid of the concept of "secret vault". I mean, why were they even sharing (in September) a few pieces of conceptual art while they're very secretive about Soulstorm (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=22316)?
You might have a point, Vlam. Perhaps the idea has been scrapped, hence OWI releasing these images "from the vault".

Conversely, perhaps releasing the concept art itself was a tease? They might be surreptitiously drawing our attention to the vault in anticipation for its reveal in Soulstorm.
02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

:
You might have a point, Vlam. Perhaps the idea has been scrapped, hence OWI releasing these images "from the vault".
Plus, Munch is on it...

:
Conversely, perhaps releasing the concept art itself was a tease? They might be surreptitiously drawing our attention to the vault in anticipation for its reveal in Soulstorm
I doubt about it. I mean, the Vault isn't related to the ARG.
02-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Michael
Bola Blast

: May 2010
: Birmingham, England
: 409
Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

Glukkons probably introduced negative interest rates a long time ago, essentially charging citizens for the 'service' of keeping their money secure in a bank.

The Gluks would reap the rewards from the common folk, whilst hoarding their own money in extravagant vaults to avoid the charges themselves.

Cash still seems to be prevalent from what we've seen in the games. That system would be more controllable if the Gluks banned cash outright and moved to a cashless digital currency system. Though, they probably like the anonymity of cash so they can conduct their own shady business off the grid.
02-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Lord Vhazen
Thudslug

: Jan 2017
: Hell
: 160
Lord Vhazen  (225)Lord Vhazen  (225)Lord Vhazen  (225)

The way I see it, the whole idea of Mullock having a secret vault seems like it would have been because the money there was "dirty" somehow, which would explain why it wasn't simply in some bank somewhere. I mean you could say the banks of Oddworld are probably corrupt, but Mullock was a part of the biggest, darkest "mafia" cartel of sorts so maybe there's some things that should never see the light of day. If Lorne ever decided to really show it in the story (besides that one secret level in Abe's Oddysee) I would imagine there'd be something more important than just money in it, or maybe the money itself was significant somehow besides there just being a lot of it.

There could be some kind of evidence in there somewhere that incriminates him somehow, for something from his past maybe? Gotta remember the whole scrapped lore for him surviving and going to court. Maybe the botched management of his business wasn't the only thing he was being sued for? He was a big player, maybe he had enemies who were just waiting for the chance to have a shot at him?

02-01-2017, 11:31 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

:
Gotta remember the whole scrapped lore for him surviving and going to court.
Not scrapped necessarily. I imagine we'll still see it in some form, whether it's in Soulstorm or the third entry of the new Oddthology™.

:
The way I see it, the whole idea of Mullock having a secret vault seems like it would have been because the money there was "dirty" somehow, which would explain why it wasn't simply in some bank somewhere.
I agree. As I said, it almost looks like the vault was designed to survive a cataclysmic event. Whatever Molluck was hiding in there, he wanted to keep it safe and far from the radar, especially if he earned it via illicit means.

Vlam mentioned a rumour regarding Molluck having ties to the Oddworld mafia. I can't lie, I love the concept of Molluck meeting with unscrupulous and corrupt outlaws on the outskirts of RuptureFarms to conduct an off-the-books business exchange.

Last edited by kjjcarpenter; 02-01-2017 at 11:39 AM..