Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

03-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I wonder if it'll be so controversial that certain Political figureheads will try and ban/censor it...in the states anyway.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Has, er, anyone read anything about this:

:
The titular Fangus is a shepherd who not only has to save Fangustan from invaders, but also has to mentally fight a rabies infection before it drives him to the brink of insanity.
http://www.gamesasylum.com/showartic...articleID=3842

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

03-22-2005, 02:15 AM
WineDarkSea
Bolamite

: Mar 2005
: USA
: 73
WineDarkSea  (10)

"Until official confirmation arrives, we'll take it all with a pinch of salt."

Looks like gamesasylum is having a hard time swallowing this too.
03-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I wonder if by "mentally fight" they mean in certain parts of the game you'll go into Fangus' head and try and escape/fight off the infection...

Oh, and Kudos goes to OSW for having pausable cutscenes, something i believe i (and a few others) said they should implement in an earlier discussion before OSW came out.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-22-2005, 06:05 AM
KintoKid
Stingbee

: Oct 2002
: Ca
: 85
KintoKid  (19)

I agree with Abe Babe in that I'd like to see OWI get back to the skinny, scrawny, no-chance-at-all protagonists. First of all, it just makes their peril seem more epic when the odds are stacked against them due to some physical weakness. And secondly, scrawny guys like me need someone to look up to [hah].

That's not to say I don't like Stranger. Stranger's Wrath is tied with Abe's Oddysee as my favorite game [not just out of Oddworld]. It's just that you can find games with big, buff anti-heroes with battlescares and submachine guns out the yin-yang everywhere, whereas a story like Abe's with a character like Abe is a little more rare. And I'd just hate to see Oddworld go for something more appealing rather than Lorne's original vision and ideas. But, who knows, maybe Fangus [if this all turns out to be real] has been part of Lorne's plan all along.

Either way, I'm just going to wait to buy the game before I make any real judgements against it.

03-22-2005, 06:47 AM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)

:
I can confirm 2 things:

OWI Production Designer Silvio Aebischer told me, in an exclusive interview I did with him last week: "The stuff we’ve been doing previously is very Oddworld, it has a signature look; kind of quirky, weird, not necessarily beautiful, but they might be cute or likable. Now where the next game is going, it’s evolving definitely into a little harder look, more realistic in a lot of ways actually."
So this is the final proof that we're really going to get Fangus, if OWI's production designer said so. How'd you get an exclusive interview?

I loved the grubbs in the intro movie of SW, but in the game they were all goofy ..
So a darker, more realistic game could be really nice.

The characters develop in the making process, so it can be that Fangus looks a little different in the final product, so I don't think he will resemble a steef so much.
:
Off topic: Hey, nice Catslug CarboN Where you find it?
In the smiley list.
03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
OANST
Necrum Burial Grounds Moderator
Our worst member ever

: Jun 2003
: Them dark fucking woods
: 12,320
OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

This is a reply to Jacob. The odds of that happening in the world of GTA is almost zero. If they try to ban it then nothing could possibly be better for OI. The game would sell out instantly.

My bowels hurt.

03-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
I can confirm 2 things:

OWI Production Designer Silvio Aebischer told me, in an exclusive interview I did with him last week: "The stuff we’ve been doing previously is very Oddworld, it has a signature look; kind of quirky, weird, not necessarily beautiful, but they might be cute or likable. Now where the next game is going, it’s evolving definitely into a little harder look, more realistic in a lot of ways actually."

Which fits with the description so far.

Additionally, Lorne Lanning is quoted in the newest Electronic Gaming Monthly that the next Oddworld game is going to be driven by a huge political atmosphere to the game, and will be majorly shocking in the issues that it tackles, and hwo those issues relate to real life.

That also fits with this description; we'll see what comes from the April issue of Game Informer.
Wow excellent!

thank you for the head up

03-22-2005, 09:15 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

: Mar 2004
: Poland
: 224
_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
Additionally, Lorne Lanning is quoted in the newest Electronic Gaming Monthly that the next Oddworld game is going to be driven by a huge political atmosphere to the game, and will be majorly shocking in the issues that it tackles, and hwo those issues relate to real life.

That also fits with this description; we'll see what comes from the April issue of Game Informer.
Sounds Great! I can't wait for this issue

03-22-2005, 10:16 AM
CarboN
Boombat

CarboN  (10)

:
I agree with Abe Babe in that I'd like to see OWI get back to the skinny, scrawny, no-chance-at-all protagonists. First of all, it just makes their peril seem more epic when the odds are stacked against them due to some physical weakness. And secondly, scrawny guys like me need someone to look up to [hah]
But the quintology can be the scrawny and skinny -hero type, the out-of-quintology -games can be different.
03-22-2005, 10:25 AM
UnforgivingEdges
Stunk

: Feb 2005
: San Luis Obispo, CA
: 43
UnforgivingEdges  (10)

:
So this is the final proof that we're really going to get Fangus, if OWI's production designer said so. How'd you get an exclusive interview?
Well, not necessarily. He was very careful not reveal much other than the direction the art is taking, so it could mean anything. I was just pointing out that it seemed to fit Game Informer's description pretty well. But I'm still wary of April issues of magazines...

As for the interview, I live in San Luis Obispo, and I'm a journalism student

I have a thread about it circulating somewhere on page 2 of the board that I should really bump...I'll post the whole thing in a couple weeks.
03-22-2005, 11:32 AM
CarboN
Boombat

CarboN  (10)

Ah, okies.
Some day I'll visit San Luis Obispo... some day..
03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Software Bug
Formerly Tim Cottenham

: Jun 2004
: Groningen, Netherlands
: 1,068
Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)

thats some good news
so which country gameinformer? USA , AU , NL , ENG , DE????

Throw around some Mudokons in my game Flying Mudokons!

Need images for your Oddworld fan project? Visit The Oddworld Vector Gallery!

03-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
Ah, okies.
Some day I'll visit San Luis Obispo... some day..
and then it will be to late, because they are moving to emeryville

03-23-2005, 05:43 AM
CarboN
Boombat

CarboN  (10)

:
and then it will be to late, because they are moving to emeryville
Err.. damn.. I forgot..
Must go change my future plans! *scribbles down* visit.. emeryville..
03-23-2005, 07:19 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Blech... I wish that image is just an early rendering of the Fangus guy...

I mean, we JUST played a muscle-bound cat guy that shot stuff. We don't need another one.

You know, I still think that it's just an early concept art pic for Stranger that just got mixed up with this new game.
03-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

Early concepts for Stranger had 4 legs and horns, of which this guy has neither. It is clearly a different character. Plus, where does the flock of demonic goats come in?

03-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

:
You know, I still think that it's just an early concept art pic for Stranger that just got mixed up with this new game.
Do you realy believe this???
honestly

03-23-2005, 10:40 AM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

: Sydney
: 1,631
mudling  (123)mudling  (123)

i think this is a game coming out and not a joke/lie. they can aways change the character to a non mammel version, but then, can't only mammels get rabbies? oh and i fell sorry for alf, getting bombared with questions about fangus LOL.

03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Do you realy believe this???
honestly
Why as I matter of fact, yes, I honestly believe this.

Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic. Maybe OWI wants all of their future characters to look blatantly similar to each other. Hell, I can't f*cking wait for "Oddworld: Uninspired, Beefy, Gun-Shooting Hybrid Cat/Lion/Whatever Guy #3's Exodus." That one will be f*cking great.

Honestly.

Then again, you have to take into account that the article said it that Fangus would be a "followup" to Stranger. Maybe he's somehow related to the Steef race.

Regardless, the "sheep" look bad-ass. Hella lot better than those lame one-eyed things in MO.

Last edited by SeaRex; 03-23-2005 at 01:27 PM..
03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

SeaRex, you do understand that it is gameplay that will decide the fate of this game, right? Why is it that everyone goes nuts when something looks like it shares characteristics of real creatures. I don't want everything to be an alien, then again, wasn't Abe just a wrinkly blue human. I mean, you are being way too critical of one piece of totally kick-ass artwork, which looks nothing like the last character. There is no way this is even an early concept for that game, because the character was always to be based on Clint Eastwood's "man with no name" character. And the reason this will be another action game is because they will be using the OSW engine. So, what's wrong with action? You make it sound like a bad thing. If they can pump this out in a year, you should be a little more hopeful that this is real.
03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Why as I matter of fact, yes, I honestly believe this.

Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic. Maybe OWI wants all of their future characters to look blatantly similar to each other. Hell, I can't f*cking wait for "Oddworld: Uninspired, Beefy, Gun-Shooting Hybrid Cat/Lion/Whatever Guy #3's Exodus." That one will be f*cking great.
Fangus would make 2 Oddworld action games, not 6. I think you're overreacting a wee bit. And Fangus is totally not unispired. It has some real-life animal characteristics, but come to think of it, Munch was the only one who didn't. And he yeilded the worst game. So chill.

03-23-2005, 03:48 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

Christ, people. Yeah, I really think OWI is going to make six games featuring a lion creature.

S-A-R-C-A-S-M.

The only reason I was "overreacting" was because the first part of my post was intended to be for Xavier; I was responding to his remark towards me. So chill, as Kimon so pointlessly put it, pay attention to the second part of my post... you know... the part that's actually serious.

And for the record, I have absolutely NO problem with another OW action game or with Fangus having animal features, but I STILL think that the concept art of Fangus looks like Stranger. Muscles, claws, leather straps, "hat" thing, cat features. My opinion still stands.

You would think that I flat out said the next game would suck or something. Well, as a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to this Fangus game, especially if it's going to be as subliminally controversial as I'm imagining it will be. I just don't want OWI to have two similar characters in two subsequent game and then have nothing connecting their relation. If you'll scroll up a bit...
:
Then again, you have to take into account that the article said it that Fangus would be a "followup" to Stranger. Maybe he's somehow related to the Steef race.
Are we a bit more clear now? I certainly hope so. Anyway, no offense to anyone, really...
:
So chill.
Sarcastic humor is dead. At least mine is.

Last edited by SeaRex; 03-23-2005 at 03:51 PM..
03-23-2005, 03:48 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

:
Fangus would make 2 Oddworld action games, not 6. I think you're overreacting a wee bit. And Fangus is totally not unispired. It has some real-life animal characteristics, but come to think of it, Munch was the only one who didn't. And he yeilded the worst game. So chill.
Munch was froggish, no?
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Sarcastic humor is dead. At least mine is.
What? How is 'so chill' sarcasm? Whatever.

Anyway, I knew you weren't being serious, I was saying that your exaggeration was absurd. Anyway, sorry if I was being an ass, I was just pissed that you called Fangus uninspired figuring that besides from his musclyness he's not much like Stranger (in my opinion).

And sligster, you could say Munch was based off a frog, but it was pretty much just his amphibious skin (and maybe the hoppy leg). What I meant was his composition didn't really have similarities with anything in the real world. Huge, odd-shaped head, big ol' eyes, a little potbelly, two arms and one leg is NOT the makeup you'd see on an everyday Earth creature.

03-23-2005, 07:41 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Wowza! I ride on a bus for 30 some hours to Montana, and look what happens! Yeah, staying with Grandpa and Grandmummy for a month or so while my Dad tries to stop from being an insane person.

Anyway, I'm just excited that I could possibly have another Oddworld game in a year. We know Oddworld can work well after the engine is allready established...AE took 9 months to make, no?

Sherry McKenna was firm about Oddworld not having a shooter(Polygon mag)...even though that's what Stranger was. Sure...he shot nifty bugs and critters, but still a shooter. And look now...It looks like this Fangus guy has straight up GUNS! This move is good though. I think Oddworld knows Stranger is doing well, and doesn't want the gamer to forget about it. That's why this game is being released in a year...as rumor has it. Yeah, me baseing all this from rumor.

I sure do hope this isn't rumour, because I've been waiting for darker material from OWI...and with an M rating we're sure to get that.

Fangus looks great. And posters who say he looks NOTHING like Stranger are... Let's just say that would be like saying Hellen Hunt and Jodie Foster don't look similiar.

-oddguy

03-23-2005, 07:53 PM
The Big Cheese
Stingbee

: sydney
: 79
The Big Cheese  (23)

sorry to be a nueisance but is this game confirmed?
03-23-2005, 08:00 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

NO (ten characters)

-oddguy

03-24-2005, 07:24 AM
-Aquacid-
Bolamite

: A Hole
: 58
-Aquacid-  (10)

doesnt anyone remember this? my point is, people believed that, and this sounds nothing like oddworld. im sure its a lie.

03-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

But that was absolutely correct. You're using that thread as if that was a rumour that was later disproved as false. Actually, it was perfectly correct.
:
people believed that
And rightly so! It was truth - almost.