Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

06-16-2002, 05:42 AM
The Shrink
Thudslug

: Feb 2002
: Australia
: 162
The Shrink  (10)
Native Man the forums are looking boring!

Just visited the forums for the first time in ages and man is the general discussion boring! Good to see a few new members though. And why the hell did I post this topic? It's even more boring than the GD! Oddworld needs to dazzle us with something new 'cause man is the craze over before it even really got started. And hey, Xbox appears to be going down to PS2! What will OWI do? Will ME ever be released? When is the PS3 coming out? Oh, the questions to be answered!

Anyway, post later...yawn..zzzz..zzzz

06-16-2002, 06:19 AM
abe22
Sleg

: May 2001
: South/Eastern Victoria, Australia
: 680
abe22  (10)

Gen-er-al Dis-cuss-ion? OH General Discussion. I haven't been there for a long time. *Goes to General Discussion. Sees a tumble weed go by...*
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -- Jack Handy
That stuff only happens in the movies. -- Famous Last Words

06-16-2002, 11:38 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Wired

Well I think we are in a period known as the "Nothing is happening era" There are many of those throughout time. But this small lapse of time will pass eventually and we will see new and exciting stuff again like we did before MO came out or before any of the other games came out. But for now we are just going to have to live with this in the time being. But I can gauarntee that when new stuff do arrive this place will be alive again. General and spoiler sections too. But your right there is nothing happening. It's kind of like the movies in the way how I look at it. Nothing is exciting in the box office yet but there will be.

06-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Yep, pretty boring...a few fights happened, though...

06-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

YEAH... and it's a bad time for a news site like Oddworld News.
The only thing I did since long time is find some new reviews...

06-16-2002, 11:37 PM
oddling
Clakker Relic Miner

: May 2002
: In my own little world
: 818
oddling  (10)

It's like the great dipression or something.Hold on a sec i have to go to the bathroom........*FLUSH* Wow thats the most exiting thing that happened to me while i was on the forums since the YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED WOULD YOU LIKE TO SIGN ON AGAIN message 3 weeks ago!!!! Things could be a bit more ummm fun around here if you know what i meen. I have only one forum friend and nothings really goung on..... EVERYTHINGS BORING!!!! IT'S ARMAGEDON I TELL YOU, ARMAGEEEEEEEEDOOOOON!!!!!!!!

Oddling l:c l
"But why is the coffee gone?!!" Pillows of the Caribbean

06-17-2002, 01:23 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)
Wired

Hehe! take a chill pill Oddling. I don't think it's like Armegedon but it is pretty boring around here. That is why I am alweys trying to come up with interesting topics in General. Like my topic on the oddness of Oddworld. With my sometimes crazy and vivid imagination I do what I can to make stuff interesting to talk about. But sometimes it just back fires and my topic becomes a flop. Oh well try again hehe! But your right it's boring boring boring! We need new new new, now now now!

06-17-2002, 04:21 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
Originally posted by Xavier
YEAH... and it's a bad time for a news site like Oddworld News.
The only thing I did since long time is find some new reviews...
Heh! Same with Oddworld Universe. Please mind my BLATENT advertising.

But i dont think the forums are boring, they are thriving.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

06-17-2002, 04:45 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

yes I forgot but Your site is not ONLY news...
the mine is

06-17-2002, 09:50 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I don't think the forums have been boring. Sure, General Oddworld Discussion is a bit quiet, but then it's always been slow in the past few months.

Off-Topic is as exciting as ever.

06-17-2002, 10:02 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)
Oddworld

You are defenitly right there Sydney. The off topic has been quite interesting plus the fan fiction has been alive too. But that general and spoiler has just runned itself dry. It is even hard for me to come up with a spoiler for MO because we already know everything theres to know about it. I think it is time we should focus are intensions on ME because thats the next game.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 06-17-2002 at 02:06 AM..
06-17-2002, 12:11 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

Even though it is annoying, the lack of interesting topics in General Discussion is good because when ME hits the shelves this forum will be swamped with newbies and pointless topics. We will wish for the good old days when we only had a couple new topics a day. Think of this slow time as the calm before the storm. The storm being the release of ME. So rest up everybody! And get ready to battle the oncoming hordes of newbies.

P.S. actually this probably won't happen for another year or two so we've got nothing to worry about now
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

06-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

: Oct 2001
: West Goshen, PA, USA
: 504
Doug  (10)

Sorry for changing the topic, and I don't mean to get off on a rant here, but one improvement I would like to see on the forums is less general disdain for "newbies." It amazes me the extent that people will go to classify each other in order to feel superior to others.

Note the fallacy here: "newbies and annoying topics"; i.e., If you are new, all your topics/posts will be annoying.
here.

As for the inevitable: I am so pissed that Squeek's Exoddus is not going to be on the PS4 and When is SligStorm going to be on the PC? topics, that's why people come here: to find out information about OWI from people who pay attention to the details. I find it incredibly rude when members roll their eyes and act put out when people come along wanting to find out things about OWI games. If you want to feel superior, feel superior while being a font of courteously-delivered Oddworld information instead of disdainfully wondering how people could actually be occupying their lives with something else than Oddworld.

It is my personal experience that those who have a tendency to post annoying topics will do so from the beginning and continue to do so, regardless of their "experience" on the forums. Those who have valuable contributions to make will also do so from the outset. In real life, when you judge someone by their appearance or their age or their nationality or their sex, it's called bigotry. If members make annoying posts, go ahead and PM them or complain to a moderator. However, let's not judge people by when they happened to show up here.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

P.S. to TheKhanzumer. Sorry if you're feeling picked on. You're not the worst offender by any means; you just happened to post the lastest example of Oddworld snobbery. On the other hand, you might keep in mind that when you haven't even been here two months a lot of people might consider you to be a newbie. No one should care unless you make annoying posts, and it's because of the annoying posts, not the fact that you're new.

06-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

:
Sorry for changing the topic, and I don't mean to get off on a rant here, but one improvement I would like to see on the forums is less general disdain for "newbies." It amazes me the extent that people will go to classify each other in order to feel superior to others.
I totally agree, how dare these people say certain things to feel more superior than others. We are all equal on the forums. No one is more superior or inadequate than anyone else. And it sickens me to the core that some may think that(!)

:
Note the fallacy here: "newbies and annoying topics"; i.e., If you are new, all your topics/posts will be annoying.
here.
I have noticed this too Doug. Many members who were first annoying have basically settled in here. They make great contributions. One of those people is Haloman, who i believe was an exellent and great all round guy. He made topics and comments that basically oozed intelligence. Unlike some *Cough-Danny-Cough*

:
As for the inevitable: I am so pissed that Squeek's Exoddus is not going to be on the PS4 and When is SligStorm going to be on the PC? topics, that's why people come here: to find out information about OWI from people who pay attention to the details. I find it incredibly rude when members roll their eyes and act put out when people come along wanting to find out things about OWI games. If you want to feel superior, feel superior while being a font of courteously-delivered Oddworld information instead of disdainfully wondering how people could actually be occupying their lives with something else than Oddworld.
Yes...rolling of the eyes...*Tuts to self*

:
It is my personal experience that those who have a tendency to post annoying topics will do so from the beginning and continue to do so, regardless of their "experience" on the forums. Those who have valuable contributions to make will also do so from the outset. In real life, when you judge someone by their appearance or their age or their nationality or their sex, it's called bigotry. If members make annoying posts, go ahead and PM them or complain to a moderator. However, let's not judge people by when they happened to show up here.
Yes...outsets and "Experience" and everything.
(However, when you say judge someone...do you mean judging them before you know them or when you do know them. Cos i still judge people i know quite well in real life. Is that still Bigotry? If it is, damn those Jurers and Judges...*Tuts to self some more*)

:
Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.
Of course you are not wrong, i am backing you up fully here Doug *Thumbs up*

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Jacob; 06-17-2002 at 09:41 AM..
06-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

Doug  (10)

Thanks for stepping up to illustrate the point, Jacob.

Jacob is a member who's been here for a long, long time. He's had 7 or 8 user names -- has to get new ones every once in a while for some reason -- no newbie, him. And he's annoying as hell. Always has been; always will be. Nasty, too.

See there, kids; don't judge someone by how long they've been hanging around the forums.

06-17-2002, 07:01 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

:
Thanks for stepping up to illustrate the point, Jacob.
Its quite alrite Doug-o-roonie *Thumbs up*

:
Jacob is a member who's been here for a long, long time.
Not that long.

:
He's had 7 or 8 user names
Wrong.

:
has to get new ones every once in a while for some reason
Wrong.

:
no newbie, him
True.

:
And he's annoying as hell. Always has been; always will be.
Im taking you mean i am annoying on the forums. Yes. I can be. However, thats your opinion. You've never really liked me and i've never really been bothered, but still...wotever chance you get you seem to jump me as quickly as blink an eye.

:
Nasty, too
Nasty? Nope, relativly truthful.

:
See there, kids; don't judge someone by how long they've been hanging around the forums.
How patronising 'Kids'. Whats your point? Basically i have tried to be ok with you, you even agreed to ignore my comments. I even said that id tell you when im being sarcastic...and i did...i had little words in brackets that said (Sarcasm) etc. And then you jump on me in the Druzils topic, hoping you could stir it so i got banned. And now your doing it here, when i was agreeing with you and supporting you...*Tuts* I could be really nasty now, but instead im going to look at you, smile and nod slowly whilst saying "Yes, of course." at least Sydney and others make an effort.

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

06-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: Apr 2001
: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Stop it right there, you two! You two have always had an ability to really provoke each other, and it's just getting boring... You're both very nice people really (as far as I can see), so leave each other alone...

As for Doug's actual complaint: The sad fact is that I do find most of the recently joined members annoying. This is not their fault, really, but is simply because most of the people who are joining the forums at the moment are young children, and while I am generally fond of young children (shut up, Chris), they are not exactly well known for their sterling conversation... There are a few exceptions (Neike and "TheKhanzumer" himself, for example), the vast majority are simply of an age range who have an ability to be really really annoying...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

06-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

Doug  (10)

:
Originally posted by Jacob
Basically i have tried to be ok with you . . . i was agreeing with you and supporting you.
You weren't trying to be OK with me, and you weren't agreeing with me and supporting me. You weren't sincere about what you said -- you were being sarcastic.

You reaped what you sowed.

Ok, Danny -- you posted while I was writing this -- this is my last word on it.

As for your substantive point, while it's unfortunate that many new members are very young and don't particularly add to the level of discourse, acknowledging and even bemoaning that fact -- in which I join you -- is different than having a general "newbies suck" attitude, which I find petty and juvenile.

06-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

:
I am generally fond of young children (shut up, Chris)
I wouldn't of made any remarks to that.

06-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Originally posted by Doug
As for your substantive point, while it's unfortunate that many new members are very young and don't particularly add to the level of discourse, acknowledging and even bemoaning that fact -- in which I join you -- is different than having a general "newbies suck" attitude, which I find petty and juvenile.
I agree, but I don't think there are many people who possess that attitude. I certainly can't think of anyone...

06-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Dequibenzo
Sniper Wasp

: Colorado
: 283
Dequibenzo  (10)

Oh... I get it! You guys are showing us your point- that even well-spoken, seasoned members of the forum can get way off tangent and bicker incessintly! Bravo, very convincing.

-DISCLAIMER- JUDGING BY MY PREVIOUS ATTEMPTS TO USE "HUMOR" IN THE POSTING OF ODDWORLD FORUM THREAD POSTS, THIS, POST NUMBER 203, WILL BE RECIEVED BADLY AND OFFEND PEOPLE FOR NO APPARENT REASON. THIS WAS NOT MY INTENT, BUT ALLOW ME TO APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY IN ADVANCE-
I'M VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY. SO VERY SORRY INDEED. YOU HAVE NO IDEA JUST HOW SORRY I AM THAT THIS POST WAS TAKEN SO BADLY. OH PLEASE LET ME COME BACK, I PROMISE TO BE GOOD. I'M JUST SO VERY VERY VERY VERY...
ETC. THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Last edited by Dequibenzo; 06-19-2002 at 09:05 AM..
06-20-2002, 12:05 AM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

Doug  (10)

:
Originally posted by Dequibenzo
-DISCLAIMER- JUDGING BY MY PREVIOUS ATTEMPTS TO USE "HUMOR" IN THE POSTING OF ODDWORLD FORUM THREAD POSTS, THIS, POST NUMBER 203, WILL BE RECIEVED BADLY AND OFFEND PEOPLE FOR NO APPARENT REASON. THIS WAS NOT MY INTENT, BUT ALLOW ME TO APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY IN ADVANCE-
I'M VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SORRY. SO VERY SORRY INDEED. YOU HAVE NO IDEA JUST HOW SORRY I AM THAT THIS POST WAS TAKEN SO BADLY. OH PLEASE LET ME COME BACK, I PROMISE TO BE GOOD. I'M JUST SO VERY VERY VERY VERY...
Ow! . . . Hey . . . stop yelling, would you? You're hurting my ears.

06-20-2002, 08:21 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Oh... I get it! You guys are showing us your point- that even well-spoken, seasoned members of the forum can get way off tangent and bicker incessintly! Bravo, very convincing.
You do choose your moments, Ian - there were plenty of other topics with blazing rows going on in them, but you had to choose one with a perfectly civilised discussion going on...

06-21-2002, 08:36 AM
Dequibenzo
Sniper Wasp

Dequibenzo  (10)

What other topics!? The one about sandwiches, or the one where we see which care-bear we are? Dear God, even the arguments are getting bland! I know this one is civilized- it's difficult to be truly offended about... I don't even know what you people are debating about! It's not even a good argument anymore! Here, I'll instigate something, then maybe we'll be out of these accursed doldrums-

I love abortions! Mm mm, nothing like the smell of forcebly ejected fetuses in the morning! Boy howdy, wouldn't it be grand if we could all just get abortions whenever we feel like it, or even when we don't!
Pregnant woman- "Doctor, I'm worried. My husband's foot is just getting worse, and he refuses to go to the hospital!
Doctor- Hmm, that is serious. Better have an abortion, just to make sure
(Doctor pulls out comically large phillips-head screw driver, pries embryo from it's womb with a loud "Pop" like a wine cork, everybody dances. Fade to black)

See, isn't it wonderful!? I defy any of you to defend your namby-pamby "Pro-life" opinions now! Anyone who is even remotely anti-abortion's opinions are herbeby labeled "dumb", and I personally hate them!

There, let's have some fun.
06-21-2002, 09:49 AM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

:
See, isn't it wonderful!? I defy any of you to defend your namby-pamby "Pro-life" opinions now! Anyone who is even remotely anti-abortion's opinions are herbeby labeled "dumb", and I personally hate them!

There, let's have some fun.
Good fo' You yo!

Yeah these arguments are getting pretty boring now. What are you guys arguing about anyways?

06-21-2002, 01:52 PM
salty pretzils
Rabid Fuzzle

: Fuckyeahistan
: 502
salty pretzils  (21)

Are you calling my little brother a 'pointless newbie?' He just joined and he is young but he isn't annoying and dumb as some of you seem to imply...
*picks up large phillips screwdriver and makes menacing geustures*

Boy, are screwdrivers useful.... j/k
06-21-2002, 04:15 PM
ZombieX
Boombat

: May 2002
: n
: 217
ZombieX  (39)

:

*The shrill noise of the wind pierces everyone's eardrums as the Grim Reaper passes by*

Dong.
Dong.
Dong.
Dong.
06-21-2002, 04:32 PM
salty pretzils
Rabid Fuzzle

: Fuckyeahistan
: 502
salty pretzils  (21)

Hmmm? Who called? Okay, who's got into the argument?

ADVERT
: The grim reaper: What better way to end your conversation? Also comes with funky phone tune free!
Dong dong dong dong dong ding!
06-22-2002, 04:48 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
What other topics!? The one about sandwiches, or the one where we see which care-bear we are? Dear God, even the arguments are getting bland! I know this one is civilized- it's difficult to be truly offended about... I don't even know what you people are debating about! It's not even a good argument anymore!
Ian, chill... If a topic doesn't interest you, stay out of it. I haven't been reading the sandwiches or care bears topics, so I didn't know there even were any arguments in there. You should try the same ignorance...

06-23-2002, 04:51 AM
Dequibenzo
Sniper Wasp

Dequibenzo  (10)

I'm just trying to stir up a little good coversation, that's all. This is a forum, a place for discussion and the exchange of ideas. We take for granted that we have an open environment where we can talk to and learn from people across the globe, with all kinds of backgrounds and from all sorts of places. People just twenty-five years ago would be blown away by something like these forums, but look what we do with them! If I wanted to listen to the same two or three people have the same arguments again and again, I wouldn't come here, I would just stay at home. I agree that just complaining isn't enough, and that I can't rightfully ask any of you not to do anything, but I don't agree that continually dodging this stuff by just waiting for someone else to post the occaisional topic of interest is the solution. There are an increasing number of threads right now about "how boring it is in the forums right now". I'm trying to alleviate this problem by injecting my opinion here and there, but you aren't helping, or even being passive. It seems every time I say something, it's "badly timed" or "not in the right place". Believe it or not, my intention is not to offend, and I'm not specifically trying to be aggressive- I just want to have a good conversation, that's all. Sorry if I've screwed things up too much by being here.