Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

07-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)
"With Nightmares and with Dreams"

Most people I know have dreams and nightmares, here and there. I'll bet everyone at OWF has one or two to share. And with a lack of other things to talk about, I figure we might as well talk about them. Both on a more general level and on an anecdotal.

What exactly is a dream? An expression of subconscious emotions and thoughts? Garglemesh that your mind connects in an attempt to liven up your night? Or just a weird thing that "happens"?

Do you believe a dream can be interpreted? Is there a general form for interpretation? Is interpreting a dream likely to help you understand anything in your life? Or is the idea of interpreting a dream misguided? Can all dreams be interpreted?

What about nightmares? What are they for? Are they dreams that simply turn into expressions of your fear?

I don't know much about dreams myself. My dreams, I feel, are a kind of emotional expression in a more fluid and unconstrained form; sort of like a book without holding back for trying to be intellectual or concise.

In that same vein, I believe a lot of my dreams can be interpreted. But some parts are simply fueled by a desire for seeing cool things and it's not always clear when that is. And while I doubt they've ever revealed anything I didn't already know, they can help to emphasize the emotional importance of it.

As far as nightmares go, I have not any much explanation short of the one I've offered above. 90% of my nightmares deal with things that are thinly veiled expressions of things I find fearful in reality. The last 10% is just... strange stuff that might have some kind of symbolic or associated meaning, but is usually a little more cryptic than I can work out or care to work out.

As for dreams I've actually had, I'll share one I've had quite recently and some general guesses as to how to understand it.

I dreamed I was in some kind of bizarre Disney World, where everything started out pleasant and chipper, but the longer you stayed there, the longer you rode the rides, the more demented and twisted everything became until it starts looking like a cross between Nightmare Before Christmas and H.R. Giger's work. Besides that, there was a wolf enclosure where they just threw huge slabs of meat to them, 50% of it recognizably human. I quickly squeezed away from that, but found I could not leave the park.

Right around that point as well, I was somehow made into... I guess the equivalent of king, because there had been a sequence of events to sign up for and somehow I was the only one that showed up and received the award. So I led everyone else in the park forward to the exit, all the while being ambushed and fought at every turn by hundreds of brainwashed guests who sought to stop me from escaping for some reason. Somehow we all had swords as well and I'm not quite sure where we got them.

There was one particular sequence that stood out. I was on board one ride which was a very long semi-interactive ride, in that you would sometimes walk around and go to the next part of the ride. In one part, there was a 3D screen where a portal of some kind opened, but I fell asleep in the dream or something and was somehow put into this other dimension in a dream-within-a-dream. I found myself a grey and dismal city, it looked sort of like Brooklyn in the 20's. And suddenly, I see this baby, staring at me. It was absolutely giant, large enough to touch the top of a building. It was made of charcoal and paper, it had this look in its eyes of greed, lust and hatred, both of them milky white all over and it charged towards me in a dream-within-a-dream like sequence. And there were five hundred of them in this giant city, all of them barreling towards me, from different directions, screaming at me all the while. Somehow, I woke up and found the portal that the screen had showed had closed, with the eyes of the baby just visible. Either I hadn't really fallen asleep or I had been watching the screen the whole time and been absorbed in the illusion.

I've never wanted a baby less than when I woke up from all that.

Exactly what this means is a fair question, but one could consider the setting as part of a generalized disillusionment with, in particular, university, which was previously made out to me as a sort of Disney World of academia. I wouldn't go so far as to say I see it as a hellscape quite like H.R. Giger's art, but certainly it disappoints and at times stresses me.

The relevance of the baby, I think, might speak to issues that are a little too personal to get into here. Or, considering the baby is symbolic of creation and it is made of charcoal and paper, a common medium for artistic expression, it might be a comment on art. Specifically, on how intimidating and frightening it seems. But that seems a bit hyperbolic again, since I wouldn't say I see artistic creation as a giant and evil baby that's seemingly trying to kill me.

I'll turn it over to the rest of OWF for a round of possible psychoanalysis bunk, but probably a few interesting anecdotes of strange dreams.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

07-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

I had two dreams about Soulstorm, actually.

One was 2D remake of Exoddus, with new, carefully planned levels, but there was no screen transitions, the levels were more widescreen and camera followed Abe. It was amazing.

Later one was 3D, in style of NnT, with clunky controls and questionable design decisions. I kid you not. It also featured darker themes, but the enviroment looked overly bloomy.

Last edited by Varrok; 07-07-2017 at 12:51 PM..
07-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2007
: England
: 507
Vanilla ✜  (153)Vanilla ✜  (153)

I know I've had a fair share of Ow dreams, honestly not a lot happened in many of them, the most eventful one is probably the most embarrassing.
Since I got over my fear of Ow as lil 10 year old me, I've had this bizarre crush on Abe (don't ask, I don't know why) either way one time I dreamt that I'd stumbled across the temple where the muds live and cause I was different to them, they assumed I was Abes "partner" and this started this weird friendship between the two of us and we just hung out and did random shit together.

There's also an OWF Discord,
join here.

07-07-2017, 11:25 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

07-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

:
Most people I know have dreams and nightmares, here and there.
I don't :0

07-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

Wig posts again? K.

Anyway i also had an OW related dream at around age10-11 when i first started playing.

I was walking in free fire zone and made my way to the Mossiac temple when i ran into Abe.
I turn to him and said "woah" and he said "hi" then i said "hi" then he said "bye" then he ran into the temple. I was going to follow but decided to have a look behind me when out of nowhere a ghost scrab ran at me and swifty opened its mouth at me(sounds of lightning and thunder in the background)and snapped.

I then woke up to it raining outside, i think the power went out.

(Hm next time ill try to recall a more "off-topic" dream for this thread :/)

Last edited by Gunnr; 07-16-2017 at 08:14 AM..
07-19-2017, 04:16 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

:
I was going to follow but decided to have a look behind me when out of nowhere a ghost scrab ran at me and swifty opened its mouth at me(sounds of lightning and thunder in the background)and snapped.

I then woke up to it raining outside, i think the power went out.

(Hm next time ill try to recall a more "off-topic" dream for this thread :/)
That would have scared the crap out of me as a kid, hell it probably would now to be honest.

join here.

07-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

:
That would have scared the crap out of me as a kid, hell it probably would now to be honest.
The craziest thing of it is that in new and tasty, Bigface's revival of Abe features blue ghost paramites and scrabs, ironic

Last edited by Gunnr; 07-19-2017 at 12:01 PM..
07-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Spurgumir
Zappfly

: Jul 2017
: Finland, far reaches of North
: 17
Spurgumir  (13)

When I was a little kid I had one dream that was related to OW. I had just been introduced to OW by playing Abe's Oddysee demo disc on my Ps. Oh the horros of that game's menu, I was so scared of those random sounds and Abe's somewhat strange voice, maybe the menu music too. Next time when I had a nightmare, it was typical running away from something dream, I could hear those sounds and voices from the darkness where I was running in my dream. Man it was creepy.

Few years go by and I bought used copy of Abe's Oddysee from a local seller, (He was great guy, got Resident Evil 2, Driver, and also Exoddus from him later on.) with my little savings that I as a school kid had. Then I learned that the game wasn't so scary after all. This whole experience was kinda maturing experience for me, I think. Strange how much your mind can grow in such little time...
07-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

Oddworld could be perceived as scary by children, even the menu
07-21-2017, 02:56 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

:
Oddworld could be perceived as scary by children, even the menu
I was terrified of AO as a kid for around 2 years mainly because it introduced so many new things in my little head at once that I wasn't used to. I wasn't used to the idea of death, consequence, corruption and suffering and I'd only seen the opening cut scene. Every time I was actually put into the game I would be too scared to move and would just turn the game off.
Surprisingly enough, no nightmares.

join here.

07-21-2017, 09:12 AM
kapteeni13
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2009
: X
: 491
kapteeni13  (404)kapteeni13  (404)kapteeni13  (404)kapteeni13  (404)kapteeni13  (404)

I have seen also sometime ago Abe dreams like custom level variations with less and more oddworld elements. Talking about menu reminded me about old terrifying nightmare of Abe that screamed and bit my hand. Waking up terrified (but not sweaty like in some movies).

Recently more dreams about flying on sky randomly. That's pretty awesome (until in some dreams i lose control and gravity acts like i'm falling to nothingness)

07-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Goodguyplayer
Chippunk

: Jan 2017
: earth
: 34
Goodguyplayer  (32)

Just posting the dream I had today. Please forgive me if there are grammar errors, I typed too fast to worry about them.
It started in a big open field, like the space of 4 big castles. There was also a gate, a few houses, a clean pathway from the gate to a castle, both made out of cobblestone.
Me and my friends were playing there. We were invited to a "tournament", where the winner receives the ultimate gift.
Well, it didn't take long enough for the organizer to sense something in my friend. She had a strange look, looked like she had 25 years old. She approached my friend and told her that she felt something different in her.
I, however, felt something different in the organizer. A aura that is too evil to comprehend. And during one of my rounds, one of the opponents mentioned a rumor, where the organizer takes random members and make them the organizers of the next events... In every 100 years.
I took a sword that was just laying around and got next to the pathway. The organizer wanted to show all the power that my friend could have by giving her the power to control everyone in the tournament.
She accepted and the lights went from bright to extremely bright.
While my friend was testing her newer powers, the organizer came with a fury of attacks towards me. I had to fight back and kill her.
After countless of hours, I've finally finished her with a sword on her chest. She laughed.
"A curse changes to those who kill us". And she fell.
I could hear voices after. The curse has moved upon me. And now, instead of living for hundreds of years, I had to become a demon who would lose its breath into space and come to earth to feed.
Woke up

07-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Auriel
Sniper Wasp

: Apr 2013
: Floating in the mist
: 257
Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)

Ooh, this kind of thread
I have recurring, occasionally semi-lucid dreams almost every night for the past couple years, but the strangest thing is, I sometimes don't even realize a dream is recurring until the next time I fall asleep. For an example (that actually happened to me), I dreamt that I was on my college campus but I had weird, lightning-based superpowers (yeah), and forgot all about it until a month or so later when I had a "sequel" to that dream. I've noticed it's a pattern that happens to almost everything I dream about nowadays. Maybe I'm just stressed out due to life x.x